Conquer Club

Battledome map [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Will you play this map?

Total votes : 0

Battledome map [Abandoned]

Postby SunTsu on Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:02 am

I have recently created a map for WaW, BattleDome:

For the non WaW players here: The red boxes are capitals. They spawn an extra army on that country every time you take a turn. Also... WaW is pretty standard about 42 countries and 6 continents. That's why both Wacht and Woord are also capitals, but the two of them don't make a continent.

I wanted to port this to CC:

Ofcourse this is a work in progress, and the capitals will not be quite and exactly like I intended and how they work in WaW, but I think it'll still be workable...

Any ideas?
Last edited by SunTsu on Wed May 10, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Copy Bunny into your Profile to help him on his way to world domination
Cadet SunTsu

Postby vangogh62 on Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:50 am

Sun,
I actually like this one better than the one at W@W. Seems cleaner, and you can use a larger map size. Playing a game on Battledome right now and it is certainly a tough one. I would like to see a map as this where there are no territories/countries that are protected from any other territory/country. The "diskworld" here would be a good idea to start - however I think it would need to be a true circle with all linking across the center like a bike wheel.

Van
New Recruit vangogh62

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:39 pm

It is an interesting idea and something worth consideration. Obviously though a complete overhaul on graphics to make it look much more sleek and splendid would be a starting place. Even if a map plays wells and is an instant success, it would still benefit in the long run from looking and feeling like a map, rather than random colored shapes on a background.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby SunTsu on Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:57 pm

This will probably give you an impression on how it's (probably) going to look with borders and all...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Cadet SunTsu

Postby Jota on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:23 pm

What's the difference between the solid lines in the green area and the lines with gaps in the blue area?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby SunTsu on Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:48 am

The blue continent is already done with gaps showing where the country borders are... The green continent has yet to be done...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Cadet SunTsu

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:30 pm

I.E. the map is currently incomplete and a working rough draft. Try to get a 'finished' rough draft (what an oxymoron) up.

--Andy

Postby SunTsu on Wed May 10, 2006 4:49 am

Ok... the first draft of the map is finished...

This is more or less the map that's been played on at WaW for a few months now. There are differences, however, these are:

* The large continents in the middle look a bit different. Diagonal attacks are not possible anymore. The capitals have moved because of this.
* The capitals work slightly different here, since CC doesn't (yet) accomodate for armies being placed on the capitals themselves, you'll receive them as a continent bonus.

The countrynames are commonly used Dutch words (yes, I am Dutch). The capitals of the normal continents represent the Dutch word for the continent name.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Cadet SunTsu

Postby Marvaddin on Wed May 10, 2006 9:40 am

It remember me the Crossword map... I really dislike. Its not a beautiful thing to watch, and to me the appeal is a complete zero. If it looks like a castle or something, but it really seems another type of numbers pastime from a crossword magazine.

Maybe Im being too harsh, but I suggest you to create a poll to know if people will play it... You have my vote already. But its just my opinion, dont become angry :roll:
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Wed May 10, 2006 10:58 am

So... what exactly does it represent? I had been hoping it would become clearer with the later version, but I still can't tell. Is it some sort of stadium/arena? The name and layout would suggest that, but the territory names seem to be intended to be geographical.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby thegrimsleeper on Wed May 10, 2006 11:35 am

What's so exciting about taking over a bunch of colored squares?
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby onbekende on Wed May 10, 2006 11:51 am

I like that every word is in Dutch, making a map of Flanders with Flemish names

Let the dutch-speaking people take over here :D
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby max is gr8 on Wed May 10, 2006 1:05 pm

What are the pink squars for just as capitals
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby SunTsu on Wed May 10, 2006 2:57 pm

max is gr8 wrote:What are the pink squars for just as capitals

As I've stated before, this map was first designed for World at War, which can handle only 42 countries and 6 continents... I was wondering if the system could handle two countries not related to any continent, and apparantly it could...

In any case, people are playing the map at WaW, so I figured people would play this map here as well... Hell, people here even play the crossword map :lol:

As to what is exciting about conquering some colored squares... ever heard of something called imagination, you might want to use that some time, it'll make life in general a little more exciting...

Lastly I will also point out the educational value of this map to non-Dutch speaking people.... broaden your horizon...
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Cadet SunTsu

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 10, 2006 8:29 pm

Imagination is fine and dandy, and even though the Crossword map is played, it is one of the less played ones. It's already got its own niche of players, I don't know if there are enough to have these two maps. I doesn't appeal to me, and usually things do.

Perhaps if you spruce up the visuals. Try not just doing simple colors, and boxes. Look into perhaps things with more visual quality. Images, maybe of a stadium, or some sort of battle arena? This map could have potential, but I don't know how much.

--Andy

Postby kingwaffles on Wed May 10, 2006 8:40 pm

I happen to be one those who occupy the crossword niche and this feeles quite different and I don't think I would play it. It's really just a bunch of boxes....
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby Jota on Wed May 10, 2006 8:42 pm

I don't imagine the Crossword map would have even the fans it does if it didn't resemble a crossword puzzle. I think that to be of interest to players, a map has to represent something, even if that something is an abstract concept totally unrelated to geographical territory.

That said, I think there's merit to AndyDufresne's suggestion of modifying this to resemble an arena of some kind. It'd give it a theme and some flavor.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby ThuMp on Thu May 11, 2006 7:16 am

Yeah Sun, maybe you should make it resemble something! Hey, I know. Make it resemble your own idea of a Battle Dome :wink:

I've played a bunch of games on this map at http://www.wawgame.com/ and it plays very well. I can't wait to try it here!
Sergeant 1st Class ThuMp

Postby thegrimsleeper on Thu May 11, 2006 11:43 am

What if you renamed it Thunderdome and it had all sorts of post-apocalyptic Mad-Max style graphics? I'd play that.
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Dark Shadow on Fri May 12, 2006 2:56 pm

It looks interesting, I would play it.
Private 1st Class Dark Shadow

Postby pevanelagas on Fri May 12, 2006 6:00 pm

I didn't read everything here.. Although, have you considered making 1 or 2 of those small squares in the corners only have 1 way to enter and exit?

This would do a few things to the gameplay, wich I definately approve of.

A. Those 2 area's would either be strongly gone after, or strongly avoided. (brings australia back into the mix) This would, hopefully, confuse many larger players and the newer players who aren't used to the normal risk wouldn't be confused at the similarities and would have better judgement..*hopefully*, not to mention.. It also makes it much harder to capture and secure the 1 square connected to them(if there are 2 with only 1 entrance, especially if they linkt o the same large square.)

B. Looks cool ;)... AND, it sounds cool... AND It'd let 1 person protect another after he lost a few troops, and etc..etc.etc...

etc.etc.etc.

thoughts?

-I'd definately play it either way, nice map!-
Private 1st Class pevanelagas

Postby SunTsu on Sat May 13, 2006 5:42 am

pevanelagas, could you give an example of this with countrynames? I sounds rather interesting....
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Cadet SunTsu

Postby pevanelagas on Sat May 13, 2006 9:14 pm

I just edited your pictures with paint, and it looks really bad but it gets my point across.

I hope you don't mind?

I made 1 resembling my description, and I made 3 other just random ones. Basically, all I'm trying to express is that yours is...; very.. boring?

Its just a bunch of squares, the ones I made from yours allow for alot of planning or alot of random attacking. Wichever suits you :P

Although, i think it'd favor the planners^

ImageOh, and I guess you'd probably need to change the value of owning all of 1 color.

Of course, this is still your idea..; and if you want me to remove the picture consider it done. It doesn'thave to be here :P

Also, feel free to branch off from my idea.. Doesn't bother me any, I'd actually be sorta flattered
Private 1st Class pevanelagas

Postby SunTsu on Sun May 14, 2006 3:34 am

I think the general idea is clear... I'll do some editing when I've found the time for it, and update the map a little...

Anyone else thoughts on this?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
('')_('')

This is Bunny.
Cadet SunTsu

Postby Marvaddin on Sun May 14, 2006 1:29 pm

I believe pevanelagas version is even worse than yours... I wouldnt do the map if I were you... unless, of course, you can increase the appeal with some great graphics.
Major Marvaddin

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas