Conquer Club

Out with the Jury, in with the new

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Out with the Jury, in with the new

Postby oaktown on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:19 am

The jury system was my idea, and I think it has proved a useful and interesting experiment in public input. Some significant and valuable changes were made to the first two maps that underwent a jury review. But in addition to the problems astutely mentioned in the jury discussion thread, it's just adding to my workload. So I will not be pursuing the use of the jury system in its current form.

However, I am still interested in soliciting more input from the Foundry, especially at the point where a map is ready to go into the Forge - when a map is Forged it should be done with the full support of the Foundry community,. I would like the Final Forge stage to be a swift and painless one for mapmakers, in which XML can be finished up and army coordinates centered without graphics/play changes being suggested that will disrupt these steps.

Therefor, I'm going to play with a much simpler idea: a final public review. Anybody and everybody who would like to be involved in a final review of maps before they are sent on the forge will receive a PM linking them to the map under review. The community is encouraged to come in and identify any final gameplay or graphics concerns that may have gotten past the CAs and the mapmaker. When I (or my fellow CAs) feel that the map has received the support of the community, the map will be stamped and sent on to the Forge. No voting, just good old fashioned CA-stamping.

So, if you would like to be included in future public review announcement PMs just post here in this thread, and I'll put together a mailing list.
Captain oaktown

Re: Out with the Jury, in with the new

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:25 am

I would like to be included in future public review announcement PMs, please add me to the mailing list ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby GrimReaper. on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:26 am

same here
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:46 am

same as sam here. this should be interesting ;)

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby yeti_c on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:39 am

Add me please.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:48 am

This may well prove to be a more practical approach than the Jury System...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:25 am

Add me Please
Major WidowMakers

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:31 am

me in tooo please :D
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Yes, I would like to take part.
As you know, I am new to this foundry process, and I really would like to learn how to successfully quench a map or two.
I understand why the jury process is needed. But with all its good intentions, I have noticed that it has only become a rooting platform for friends to support each others projects. The problem as I see it, is, that there is a relatively small group of foundry fans. And, they are all in competition with each other. So, this recipe does not make for an objective jury. They just have too much of a "conflict of interest". If you are going to successfully adopt a juridic process, you can NOT include the contestants among the jury.

I have a suggestion that would go to solve this problem, and help to promote the Newsletter at the same time.

Instead of just posting the Newsletter in the forum, where the same small group of people read it, You pm it to all CC members on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. This will not only increase your jury pool, it will bring new faces to the forums all together.

Also if you should need the assistance of an artist for the Newsletter, I am available. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby sailorseal on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:23 pm

samuelc812 wrote:I would like to be included in future public review announcement PMs, please add me to the mailing list ;)

I'm in!
Cook sailorseal

Postby barterer2002 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 pm

I'd be interested in participating.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:35 pm

Please encourage people you know outside of the Foundry (via clans, usergroups, games, friends list, etc) to join or become a part of this processes. The more we can expand the number of commenters and reviewers, the better indeed!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:39 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Please encourage people you know outside of the Foundry (via clans, usergroups, games, friends list, etc) to join or become a part of this processes. The more we can expand the number of commenters and reviewers, the better indeed!

--Andy
Yes, The more, the merrier. To have an effective and non-partial jury system, you will need to have dozens or even hundreds of folks, that are NOT mapmakers, or their friends. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby bryguy on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:41 pm

Add me also, if you would :)
Corporal bryguy

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 pm

Me too, although I do not visit the foundry that much of late.
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby TaCktiX on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:37 pm

porkenbeans wrote:I have a suggestion that would go to solve this problem, and help to promote the Newsletter at the same time.

Instead of just posting the Newsletter in the forum, where the same small group of people read it, You pm it to all CC members on a monthly or bi-weekly basis. This will not only increase your jury pool, it will bring new faces to the forums all together.

Also if you should need the assistance of an artist for the Newsletter, I am available. :D

We tried that for the very first issue of the Newsletter when it debuted back in May 2008, and it turned into a near-flame war about how the Foundry was encroaching upon General Discussion and how they should just show up in our forums and spam like crazy. I'm not going there again, the headline system is likely the best we'll ever get as long as people are anal retentive about "what belongs where".

As for artistry, look into this nearly-ignored competition here: Foundry Newsletter Banner Competition.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby porkenbeans on Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:46 pm

TaCktiX wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:I have a suggestion that would go to solve this problem, and help to promote the Newsletter at the same time.

We tried that for the very first issue of the Newsletter when it debuted back in May 2008, and it turned into a near-flame war about how the Foundry was encroaching upon General Discussion and how they should just show up in our forums and spam like crazy. I'm not going there again, the headline system is likely the best we'll ever get as long as people are anal retentive about "what belongs where".

As for artistry, look into this nearly-ignored competition here: Foundry Newsletter Banner Competition.
Yeah, I figured it was some stupid CC soap opera thing.
Hey listen up all you boneheads out there.
The definition of a newsletter is obvious. It is simply, a letter that orgonizations send out to its members, so as to keep everyone informed of important information. The vast majority of any org. are not interested in searching everyday for club news. This does NOT mean that they are not interested, they do not have the time, or are just plain lazy. Which is exactly why a newsletter is a part of any club or organization.
So, pull your collective heads out of your collective asses, ...and get a clue. :twisted:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby ustus on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:43 pm

I'm new to the foundry, want to learn what works well and what doesn't, send the info my way when the reviews happen, i'd love to see what people have to say, what people like, what they don't, and eventually become one of the people who knows his way around the foundry :D
Corporal ustus

Postby ZeakCytho on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:48 pm

So the only difference between this and the current system is that people who want it get a PM to remind them that there's a map nearing the final forge? Seems somewhat useless...wouldn't most people just comment on the maps that are at that stage anyway if they're interested in the map? I mean, it's not like the maps are hard to find - they're stickied. If people need a PM reminder, I suppose it's not the end of the world, but I'd rather not have my inbox filled with it.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:56 pm

Add me to it...I need to get back into the foundry :oops:
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:59 pm

ZeakCytho wrote:So the only difference between this and the current system is that people who want it get a PM to remind them that there's a map nearing the final forge? Seems somewhat useless...wouldn't most people just comment on the maps that are at that stage anyway if they're interested in the map? I mean, it's not like the maps are hard to find - they're stickied. If people need a PM reminder, I suppose it's not the end of the world, but I'd rather not have my inbox filled with it.

Except that when the first jury was announced, lots of people flocked to look at the map to see what was happening... If we can encourage a wider audience to look at the maps at the critical points of development, that can only be a good thing...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby InkL0sed on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:13 pm

Add me as well
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:17 pm

add me!
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Qwert on Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 pm

I have one question-when will mine map move to FF-i whas quite silence and waith your decision,and i belive that i give all valid answers. Last post whas 20 feb,and now is 1 mart,how many days i need to waith more?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby whitestazn88 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm

i'm in
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Next

Return to Foundry Discussions