Conquer Club

St. Patrick's Day Map and Speed Game Holiday

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: St. Patrick's Day Map and Speed Game Holiday

Postby oaktown on Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:29 am

Is this map all about luck? Well, it is in some ways, and isn't in other ways.

One thing that is certain about this map is that for the first few rounds you really have only one decision to make: roll the dice or don't roll the dice. You have no choice of whom to attack - you have to hit the next neutral clover, and that's it. So those first three or four rounds come down to the dice. As somebody who has taken about 20 turns on this map in many games and taken a total of two territories, I can see that's its going to be very hard to overcome bad dice early on this one. :x

After the first few rounds, however, there are decisions to make - do I go for the Gold? Do I veer off and go after my neighbor? Do I collect cards or stack up my armies? On this map you will have the same choices that you will have on any other map, and you'll be at the mercy of the dice in the same way you will on any other map.

One thing that this map does do is eliminate the luck of the draw. While I don't really know which leprechaun I'll start at, it doesn't really matter so much. On a four or eight player game we're all starting on equal footing, and in odd-player games the only unknown is where the neutrals starts will be.

Again, I think that a map with this kind of play could be made in the Foundry, and even improved upon. There have been other maps started with attack lines radiating from a central objective, the most advanced of which having been the CC Bracket Tourney map from over a year ago. Trouble is they don't get much support and the mapmakers have given up.
Captain oaktown

Postby nagerous on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 am

I still haven't won any of these, in my last game he had an army of 3 to take out 3 neutrals then 3 on the pot of gold and he did it.
Captain nagerous

Postby HighlanderAttack on Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:04 am

I wish they would keep it for sure. Although 90% is luck especially one on one there is some interesting strategy that comes into play.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby demonfork on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:10 pm

oaktown wrote:Is this map all about luck? Well, it is in some ways, and isn't in other ways.

One thing that is certain about this map is that for the first few rounds you really have only one decision to make: roll the dice or don't roll the dice. You have no choice of whom to attack - you have to hit the next neutral clover, and that's it. So those first three or four rounds come down to the dice. As somebody who has taken about 20 turns on this map in many games and taken a total of two territories, I can see that's its going to be very hard to overcome bad dice early on this one. :x

After the first few rounds, however, there are decisions to make - do I go for the Gold? Do I veer off and go after my neighbor? Do I collect cards or stack up my armies? On this map you will have the same choices that you will have on any other map, and you'll be at the mercy of the dice in the same way you will on any other map.

One thing that this map does do is eliminate the luck of the draw. While I don't really know which leprechaun I'll start at, it doesn't really matter so much. On a four or eight player game we're all starting on equal footing, and in odd-player games the only unknown is where the neutrals starts will be.

Again, I think that a map with this kind of play could be made in the Foundry, and even improved upon. There have been other maps started with attack lines radiating from a central objective, the most advanced of which having been the CC Bracket Tourney map from over a year ago. Trouble is they don't get much support and the mapmakers have given up.

funny how you mention the bracket tourney map, which hardly resembles "your" map at all..

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=64902&p=1603891&hilit=bracket+tournament#p1603891

and don't say shit about my map

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=73420

which "your" map is an exact copy of.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby pmchugh on Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:17 pm

It is dependant on luck but I still think there is strategy to it.

My Results:
Players Wins/Games
2 20/28
3 1/3
4 1/7
8 2/2

3 and 4 players games are round about what you expect but 2 players and 8 players my win rate is much higher than expected, and I much prefer these sized games to 3-4 players. I think that luck will win or lose you some games but in the end your strategy shows through.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:04 pm

I wish I could find a strategy for this map. Thanks for your ideas oak but they all seem to require the kind of luck I dont have. Help!

oaktown wrote:After the first few rounds, however, there are decisions to make

If you play 1 v 1, the game is often over after the first few rounds.

oaktown wrote:On this map you will have the same choices that you will have on any other map, and you'll be at the mercy of the dice in the same way you will on any other map.

The choice(s) seem to be lose your armies against a neutral, lose your armies against a neutral or do nothing, lose some armies against a neutral next round then get taken out by the player who didn't get taken out by neutral. On other maps with similar gameplay the choices are take a neutral you have a chance on or take a different neutral you have a chance on or do nothing and take a neutral next go easily.

oaktown wrote:do I go for the Gold? Do I veer off and go after my neighbor? Do I collect cards or stack up my armies?

If only these were the choices. To have these choices requires massive luck to have achieved a good position after a couple of rounds. Going for gold is usually impossible. Collecting cards is often impossible. Veering-off is just the same, more neutrals that the dice will kill you on.

if you built up to the point where you are strong enough to do in the neutrals, you're opponent would probably already be in pot of gold-land.

Seriously, I think strategy makes less difference on this map than any other. For example, many other maps with similar gameplay have the option of easier neutrals, where you can collect a card.

That makes it a cool map, don't get me wrong.

There is no strategy that doesn't require good dice as far as I can see. Strategy comes into play after good dice early on.

If anyone has a fool-proof method that proves otherwise please let me know as my luck is bad.

Mapmakers and similar maps
Maybe there are more similarities with the space station map draft than the bracket map. However, the structure is very similar with both, and perhaps the origin of the popularity of this map.

Maybe we lovers of the St Patrick's map should support the development of that one if St Patrick's isn't here to stay? The comments about the map being gimmicky are totally valid.

One way or another, I think there's a big section of the playing population that would enjoy more makes like this one. The mapmakers produce some fantastic maps, often with lots of territories, that produce great stategy games. Its understandable from an artistic pride point of view. Maybe a voice is needed for the folk crying out for more maps that create quick games? And maybe such maps would be quicker to produce? Perhaps we might soon see a couple of variations on this map structure?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:29 pm

I hope that the Holiday has been a success! As for similar Maps---we always love to see more and more people in the Foundry commenting and advising---so get your bananas in there and help out!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby RjBeals on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:54 pm

demonfork wrote:and don't say shit about my map
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=73420

wow, i've yet to see that map, but pretty cool.
Private RjBeals

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:22 pm

why was the map put in beta
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby lackattack on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks to oaktown and all the other volunteers who made this St. Pat's so special for CC!!!
Sergeant lackattack

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:43 pm

This is the most mad map i have ever seen!

Thank you for this St.Patrick special !!! =D>
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:53 pm

we should do this with ever holiday
maybe or the big ones like chanuka and christmas and quanza and april fools
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby nagerous on Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks Team CC for hosting another awesome contest!
Captain nagerous

Postby pmchugh on Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:59 pm

Cheers for the speed games!
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:13 pm

Great move, bringing that map in - it was a big hit.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby pinkflaminko on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 pm

It sure was. Will it be back next year? Or will there be a new one? Or will there be one next year?
Private 1st Class pinkflaminko

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:37 pm

We'll just have to wait and see! :D

--Andy

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:37 am

it was over too soon... but i had fun
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby Joodoo on Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:11 am

I went on a St.Patricks rampage after hearing about this and as a result, I still have ten games waiting :D
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby RjBeals on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

Here's a map that could be morphed into a luck map also:

Click image to enlarge.
Private RjBeals

Postby ObiTone on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:09 pm

Can't we keep the map... re-name it "luck of the leprecauns" or something.... it might be down to luck at the end of the day but requires strategy when deciding wether to break the pot or leave it to someone else.... take the pot or eliminate someone for the cards... ive had some real touch and go games on it and it would be a shame to lose it for a year...
Sergeant 1st Class ObiTone

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:25 pm

Unfortunately it is a Limited Edition Map. However, if you enjoyed the game play---consider taking a look at a map currently in production, with similarly designed game play:

Here. Go throw some support, advice, comments, suggestions, there. :)

--Andy

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives