Conquer Club

USA Map Pack [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: USA Map Pack [Beta]

Postby WidowMakers on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:32 am

Gilligan wrote:This might be a little late, but do you think you could darken the moose heads on Minnesota (Great Lakes)? I had a hard time seeing them, and maybe even the snowflakes on Colorado (Rockies).
Does anyone else feel this is a NEEDED change? Like I said before we could make hundreds of changes to thee maps for the sake of making them. If there is a BIG issue and it needs resolved (XML or GP) I will do it ASAP.
I just don't want to start a trend that makes people think they can ask to tweak a color or opacity and they will get it.

So just to be clear, is this a needed fix and why or is it just personal taste?

Thanks for the comments
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Gilligan on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:37 am

Makes sense, WM, just wanted to point it out in case others were feeling the same way.
Captain Gilligan

Postby joriki on Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:14 am

In the XML for USA Southwest, "Tucson" is misspelled "Tuscon". It's spelled correctly on the map.
General joriki

Postby WidowMakers on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:04 pm

joriki wrote:In the XML for USA Southwest, "Tucson" is misspelled "Tuscon". It's spelled correctly on the map.

Here you go. XML fixed to the proper spelling
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/15/ ... SON_fix.xm

Sent to lack

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:05 pm

I know I am nitpicking a little, but for USA Rockies, I find it kind of funny that Wyoming, which has the smallest population in the US, has the highest bonus on the map. :lol:
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:10 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:I know I am nitpicking a little, but for USA Rockies, I find it kind of funny that Wyoming, which has the smallest population in the US, has the highest bonus on the map. :lol:

Well that may be but it is in the middle of the map. From a location / border perspective it is the hardest to hold thus the large bonus.

WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby Tbolt on Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 pm

In the USA Rockies map the states of Colorado and Wyoming are interchanged.
Cadet Tbolt

Postby WidowMakers on Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 pm

Tbolt wrote:In the USA Rockies map the states of Colorado and Wyoming are interchanged.
Sorry but.... They are not.

Wyoming is in the middle of the map (cows) and Colorado is in the middle bottom (snow flakes)
Google Maps image to show the USA map is correct.
Major WidowMakers

Postby saaimen on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:19 am

Never knew the Montana-Idaho border looks so much like a face...
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby squishyg on Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:41 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed already and please forgive my anal-retentiveness, but New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York are not actually part of New England and New Jersey is not twice the size of Connecticut and Massachusetts. From a game playing perspective however, the maps look really cool. I LOVE that you get a bonus for holding all the cities along the interstates. Very cool touch.
Captain squishyg

Postby go dan m on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:34 am

I'll echo squishyg's comment below. Also, in order to take 95 from Mass to Maine, you have to drive through New Hampshire.

squishyg wrote:I apologize if this has been discussed already and please forgive my anal-retentiveness, but New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York are not actually part of New England and New Jersey is not twice the size of Connecticut and Massachusetts. From a game playing perspective however, the maps look really cool. I LOVE that you get a bonus for holding all the cities along the interstates. Very cool touch.
Corporal 1st Class go dan m

Postby Ditoboisy on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:45 am

Theres to many posts to brows through, but I thought I might comment that Ohio's cities are messed up and the shape doesn't look right either.
Cadet Ditoboisy

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:57 am

This is in response to the last three posts

This is taken from the first post of the thread:
Now just as the original USA map is not completely geographically accurate, like why can't Oregon attack Idaho, the road connections on these maps are not either. The basic roads exist but some connections across state borders are eliminated to help with border control.

All state shapes are copied from the USA map.
If a state did not exist in the USA map (New England State are a good example) I did my best to keep the same look and feel.
The 6 maps are based on the USA map. I broke them up based on those bonus groups. That is why NJ, NY and Penn are in New England.

Also, If anyone asks these types of questions or raises these sorts of complaints. Please just quote this post in response (if I have not already done that).

Thanks
Major WidowMakers

Postby squishyg on Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:42 pm

WidowMakers wrote:This is in response to the last three posts

Now just as the original USA map is not completely geographically accurate, like why can't Oregon attack Idaho, the road connections on these maps are not either. The basic roads exist but some connections across state borders are eliminated to help with border control.

If a state did not exist in the USA map (New England State are a good example) I did my best to keep the same look and feel.
The 6 maps are based on the USA map. I broke them up based on those bonus groups. That is why NJ, NY and Penn are in New England.

Also, If anyone asks these types of questions or raises these sorts of complaints. Please just quote this post in response (if I have not already done that).

Thanks

Just offering some feedback. I also gave you many props as well. Sorry if I offended.
Captain squishyg

Postby WidowMakers on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:57 pm

squishyg wrote:Just offering some feedback. I also gave you many props as well. Sorry if I offended.
No worries. I am not mad at you for offering your feedback. i am glad you cared that much. I am just making sure that everyone know what I will change. I appreciate the comments.

And believe me, that was NOT offensive. If that sort of feedback bugged me, i would not have made any maps.

Thanks
WM
Major WidowMakers

Postby squishyg on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:38 pm

WidowMakers wrote:
squishyg wrote:Just offering some feedback. I also gave you many props as well. Sorry if I offended.
No worries. I am not mad at you for offering your feedback. i am glad you cared that much. I am just making sure that everyone know what I will change. I appreciate the comments.

And believe me, that was NOT offensive. If that sort of feedback bugged me, i would not have made any maps.

Thanks
WM

Word. Looking forward to playing your map!
Captain squishyg

Postby quackaddict on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:12 am

Widow,

Forgive me if someone else has already commented on this, but I-85 Goes through Raleigh-Duham also. You have it ending in Greensboro. Which would help the other quirk, which is having grown up in Atlanta, and having relatives up the East Coast and across... 85/20 is way more important than 75.
Private quackaddict

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:17 am

quackaddict wrote:Widow,

Forgive me if someone else has already commented on this, but I-85 Goes through Raleigh-Duham also. You have it ending in Greensboro. Which would help the other quirk, which is having grown up in Atlanta, and having relatives up the East Coast and across... 85/20 is way more important than 75.

Thanks

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby quackaddict on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:25 pm

Killing, his catch all that you re-posted referred to states and state maps. I am referring to the bonus structure inside of the map. Was just pointing out that a interstate map would show I-85 going East from Greensboro.
Private quackaddict

Postby WidowMakers on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:59 pm

quackaddict wrote:Killing, his catch all that you re-posted referred to states and state maps. I am referring to the bonus structure inside of the map. Was just pointing out that a interstate map would show I-85 going East from Greensboro.
Actually I refer to the roads.

Thanks
Now I know it does say across state borders but internal the roads are not all represented either. It was GP choices. Too many cities on an interstate make it harder to hold.

Plus, according to google, 85 goes through Durham and misses Raleigh. And it would only show it going east if there was another city it connected to. Since there is not one on this map, the road ends.
Major WidowMakers

Postby quackaddict on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:04 pm

Ok, good point. I guess I got so used to 85 to Raleigh when I had clients there I forgot that Durham is actually part of the Raleigh Durham exit...
Private quackaddict

Postby josta59 on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:30 am

Having lived in and visited most of these regions, I'm excited about having all these maps on Conquer Club.

Having said that, I never liked the look of the USA map, and I really wish these looked more like actual maps. I'm a map guy, and that's one of the reasons I enjoy Conquer Club so much. But these look like...I don't know, cartoons or something? I would like it so much better if the territories actually bordered each other as they do in real life. I would just find it a lot more exciting for gameplay.

A bit late, I know, but there's my opinion. I'm about to play on one of them for the first time (the Great Lakes map).
Sergeant josta59

Postby saaimen on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:14 pm

josta59 wrote: I'm about to play on one of them for the first time (the Great Lakes map).

... which is not a part of this map pack. #-o
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:57 pm

saaimen wrote:
josta59 wrote: I'm about to play on one of them for the first time (the Great Lakes map).

I think he was referring to "USA: Great Lakes" in Game 4622451

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby josta59 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:41 am

the.killing.44 wrote:
saaimen wrote:

I think he was referring to "USA: Great Lakes" in Game 4622451

yep :?
Sergeant josta59

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas