Conquer Club

Greenland [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Greenland [D] - v14 on p1&9 › mibi

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:24 am

ah, mibi, mibi. Danke for
Version 14 (Large) — Mar. 26
Click image to enlarge.

Updates:
  • mibi.
  • texture on minimap

To-Do/Discussion Points:
  • stick names over texture in minimap … easy fix ;)
  • Discussion please: should I make the Moruisaq‹—›Itilleq route down to Nuuk? and along those lines, how are the current bonus values?
  • lany's on the XML sometime this week

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby InsomniaRed on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:01 am

the.killing.44 wrote:[*]Discussion please: should I make the Moruisaq‹—›Itilleq route down to Nuuk? and along those lines, how are the current bonus values?

Definitely change that route to Nuuk to have more places needed to be defended. Having two bonuses worth three, with one with 1 place to defend and the other with 4...seems a bit unfair, no matter what the territory count within the bonus is, but that's just my opinion. It just seems uneven.

Looks great otherwise ;)
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
      I will always love you Nick, Forever.
Major InsomniaRed

Postby yeti_c on Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:52 am

As mentioned in Mibi's thread...

I think that the light/dark mix could be the other way up...

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Re: Greenland [D] - v13 on p1&8 › colors

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:35 am

Ruben Cassar/saaimen/InsomniaRed
— First time I look at this map. Is this the first map you're developing?
I must say that I'm really impressed. The graphics and colour scheme suit the theme and are easy to distinguish.
Great map I must say...one of the best I've seen for ages...and one classic style players like me will enjoy. Keep up the good work!
Can't really find anything to fault. I guess the two northern regions are a bit easy to hold while the others are huge and difficult to hold for a bonus, but I'm not sure about what can be done for that.

On the other hand, Kujallec will be very easy to hold once you've conquered it. Just hold Itilleq... Maybe change the sea route in the West there?
Definitely change that route to Nuuk to have more places needed to be defended. Having two bonuses worth three, with one with 1 place to defend and the other with 4...seems a bit unfair, no matter what the territory count within the bonus is, but that's just my opinion. It just seems uneven.
Looks great otherwise ;)

Thanks. About the region, I think I'll move the Moriusaq connection to Nuuk, so that should help some.
yeti_c
As mentioned in Mibi's thread...
I think that the light/dark mix could be the other way up...

Hmm, yes. Like you said, the title could be a prob. I shall see…

Captain the.killing.44

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:18 am

I preferred the polar with a bit of texture on - it now looks a little over-contrasted (not a real word)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:16 pm

Thought I like the gradient Mibi has done for you---it feels a little too dark for my taste on the right.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Re: Greenland [D] - v15 on p1&9 › bonuses?

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:24 pm

MrBenn
I preferred the polar with a bit of texture on - it now looks a little over-contrasted (not a real word)
lol, with hyphens everything is real! Anyway I agree and I put the texture back on.
AndyDufresne
Thought I like the gradient Mibi has done for you---it feels a little too dark for my taste on the right.
Yeah, reduced opacity a bit.

Updates:
  • Bear re-textured (and un-over-contrasted ;) )
  • Gradient not as dark
  • Moved Moruisaq connection down to Nuuk

To-Do
  • I'd still like some more gameplay discussion …

Click image to enlarge.

Last edited by the.killing.44 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain the.killing.44

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:29 pm

the gradient looks much better, and the polar bear could be a little more textured/ darkened (just a touch).

i think that you should move the attack route from Østgrønland to K. Frederik VIII Land (just a personal preference)

LED
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby saaimen on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Well I like bonus regions being as equal as possible...
LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i think that you should move the attack route from Østgrønland to K. Frederik VIII Land (just a personal preference)

So this is a good idea.

Maybe the two 2-bonuses could be balanced more if the Haffner connection went to Nares Land?
Then Qaasuitsup has 4 regions to capture, 2 of them needing defense against 2 (Haffner) and 3 (Moriusaq) regions.
Now Peary land has 1 less to capture, and both defense regions have 2 bordering. Changing Haffner to Nares Land lets you defend all 3 regions, thus balancing it more with Qaasuitsup.
Though I'm not sure whether this is the best way to do that...
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby aequitas08 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:27 pm

This map only seems to look better with each update, but i'm glad you added texture back to the ocean background looks much better.

LED ZEPPELINER wrote:i think that you should move the attack route from Østgrønland to K. Frederik VIII Land (just a personal preference)

I think this would solve the bonus issue between Qeqqata (+4, with 5 territories 4 defended) and Tunu (+3, with 6 territories 4 defended). the shift would leave Tunu with 3 defended territories and +3 then seems reasonable.

-aequitas08
Sergeant aequitas08

Postby jako on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:40 am

Wow, this map looks interesting. I didn't know that a greenland map was possible considering its considered a barren land of ice.

Great job on it so far.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Re: Greenland [D] - v16 on p1&10 › any gameplay concerns?

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:54 pm

LED ZEPPELINER
the polar bear could be a little more textured/ darkened (just a touch).
Really?
i think that you should move the attack route from Østgrønland to K. Frederik VIII Land (just a personal preference) [seconded by saaimen and aequitas08]
Good idea. Done.
saaimen
Maybe the two 2-bonuses could be balanced more if the Haffner connection went to Nares Land?
Hmm, I'm split. On one hand, I agree, because it would be more even, but on the other I don't think a bonus should need to hold all territories, especially a +2 (unless it's tiny of course). So, what do people think about this?

Updates:
  • changed connections around

To-Do:
  • :-k
Captain the.killing.44

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 pm

About gameplay no suggestions, i'm complitely agree with the actual gameplay.

Only a suggestion about graphic. Kujalleq continent has a very different color on large map and small one.
This thing has not influence on gameplay ( in my opinion your map could be stamped) but could be a good graphic choice, in my opinion.
i did a little example for you on the jpg file.
Hope helpful ;)

TNBDS

Click image to enlarge.

I noticed now that there're some visible blue lines near the bear.

show
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Merciless Wong on Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:56 am

Bonuses look right, ice cap adds a lot of impassability, sea route adds some variety.
Looks good from a gameplay viewpoint at a territory level.

I think the game will revolve around getting Qaasuitsup, Kujalleq and Pearyland to start.
Pearyland and Tunu or Qaasuitsup and Kujalleq or Kujalleq and Semersooq make good combos for second stage expansion.
Sergeant 1st Class Merciless Wong

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:37 pm

thenobodies80
Only a suggestion about graphic. Kujalleq continent has a very different color on large map and small one.
This thing has not influence on gameplay ( in my opinion your map could be stamped) but could be a good graphic choice, in my opinion.
i did a little example for you on the jpg file.

Doooone.
I noticed now that there're some visible blue lines near the bear.
Fiiiiixed ;)
Merciless Wong
Bonuses look right, ice cap adds a lot of impassability, sea route adds some variety.
Looks good from a gameplay viewpoint at a territory level.
I think the game will revolve around getting Qaasuitsup, Kujalleq and Pearyland to start.
Pearyland and Tunu or Qaasuitsup and Kujalleq or Kujalleq and Semersooq make good combos for second stage expansion.

Thanks for the comment, Wong. That seems exactly right ;) (continued after nobodies's segment afterwards) …
(back to nobodies)
About gameplay no suggestions, i'm complitely agree with the actual gameplay.
… I'm satisfied with the gameplay unless someone else brings up another issue.

I've done the graphical changes, but I'm going to wait to post the next version until someone posts a GP issue for me to fix :)

Captain the.killing.44

Postby aequitas08 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:24 pm

The gameplay looks finished. It is simple, straightforward, and appears well balanced.
Great work.
I'm reserving judgement on graphics until next update.
-aequitas08
Sergeant aequitas08

Postby iancanton on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:09 am

at first glance, this map suffers from the obvious comparison with iceland (which is one of the best-looking maps on cc, so it's actually no disgrace).

Merciless Wong wrote:ice cap adds a lot of impassability

but not enough! it's wrong that u can attack using the ice cap routes as easily as attacking a neighbouring settlement in the same municipality. there might as well be three four-lane highways going through the ice cap. greenland has a great natural impassable and it will be a pity if we cut such big holes in it.

as an alternative, try making the ice cap routes into a neutral-starting mountain pass (or even two neutral-starting mountain passes) with -1 or -2 decay (similar to dust bowl - though the latter's decay territories don't start neutral), bordering only those 6 settlements shown by the dotted lines. this is because armies that stay on the ice cap will gradually lose soldiers through cold. the neutral start represents the fact that there is no route across the ice till a brave pioneering group makes one, at the risk of death.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby MrBenn on Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:55 am

I like the idea of adding a killer neutral to the ice cap... if you're going to add one, I'd settle with 1 or 2 neutrals on it.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby gho on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:12 am

I like the killer neutrals on the ice cap.

Graphically I think this map peaked on page 3. The map looked icy, the water looked cold and the sea and continent names looked superb. I think it looked better than iceland. I think the map has taken a step back with its new water, new continent colours and pure white bear and currently looks like icelands poor cousin (though still better than alot of other maps out there). Then again I say this without reading all the comments of the last 7 pages, in which you've probably explained why you've made all the changes. If you have nothing better to do with your time maybe you could use the page 3 graphics style with the current territory layout and minimap to see how it would turn out.
Lieutenant gho

Postby Merciless Wong on Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:30 pm

You could have 3 ice cap territories, one for each route with a decay factor. If you connect them all to one neutral territory,
the ice cap would become a pretty fast shortcut between each end of the island.

You could name each route separately after famous Greenland explorers.

I wouldn't make the neutrals strong though (1-3 armies max). I suspect that strong neutrals would actually partition the map in the early game and lead to the niche positions being very strong in multiplayer. I don't think they have to be killer neutrals though, the decay repesents the pain from weather and the neutrals the cost of opening the route. Killer neutrals would imply the expedition needs to be repeated once its been mapped.
Sergeant 1st Class Merciless Wong

Re: Greenland [D] - v17 on p1&10 › decaying ice routes

Postby the.killing.44 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:11 pm

gho
Really? I mean, I see what you say about some of the graphic things, but overall I think v17 (later in the post) is a much more developed map than that version. So, I am going to continue this one, unless there's much against it.
iancanton, MrBenn, Merciless Wong
Thanks a lot for that, ian. I've added that, they start with 2 neutrals and decay -1 per round. See below
I also found one Greenlandic explorer, but I don't think that'll cut it. I do like the idea, if anyone can help there ;)

Click image to enlarge.

Updates:
  • decaying ice territories
  • small graphic changes

Captain the.killing.44

Postby el-presidente on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:24 pm

That was wierd, It updated the first post while I was looking at itand I didn't notice for like 30 seconds. I am not very aware of things I guess.

Anyways, I like the ice routes but they look kinda wierd. I don't like how B gets wider at the one end. It should stay level-ish from where it is under the circle, then curve up at the end to meet the lower part that comes out of kullorsqua. The graphics keep getting betterevery edit!

< el-presidente >
Private el-presidente

Postby LED ZEPPELINER on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:26 pm

I think your ice routes should be as thin, and maybe uniformed as possible, becuase i don't think that an ice route would take up that much room, for peopel to walk/maybe drive over.

Edit, just thinking, maybe you could have all of the ice routes connect some how, i don't know if this would harm the gameplay too much
sailorseal wrote:My big boy banana was out the whole time :D
AndyDufresne wrote:
AndyDufresne wrote:Many Happy Bananas to everyone, lets party...with Bananas.
--Andy
Forever linked at the hip's-banana! (That sounds strange, don't quote me.)
Sergeant LED ZEPPELINER

Postby thenobodies80 on Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Kujalleq is perfect now!
Good work

The new big ice block you added to explain the ice routes is too big in my opinion, in this way your right lower part of the map is too full.

A final small thing, a nitpick. A small white line in the upper part of your map.
Point the "ne" of Haffner word and go north, you can see the small white line ;)

=D> you're one of the best new mapmakers...good new blood.

TNBDS
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby sailorseal on Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:25 pm

The Ice Route idea is a great one, defiantly a keeper
Cook sailorseal

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas