Conquer Club

Flame Wars Removed

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Flame Wars Removed

Postby Serbia on Sun May 03, 2009 2:57 pm

ronc8649 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:why are freemies still responding to this?

this is purely a question for "paying customers".

Since when? Money doesn't give you access to the forums. Freemiums are allowed to post on any public board, so that implies they can post here.

my point is this, the only thing that keeps this site running is premium members. this site would not be able to continue without them. i take their opinions as nothing because they dont contribute to this site.

if all freemies would pay 25 dollars like the preemies do, then this site could do alot of things that are being brought up in all of these forums. half of the things suggested come from freemies. i feel as if this site looks at freemies, and preemies as the same, and really should not.

i pay alot closer attention to the customers i make money on, then the customers that are strokes, and pay me no profit.

Then we can all be glad you don't run this site.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby stahrgazer on Sun May 03, 2009 3:06 pm

a.sub wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Stroop wrote:Yes, foul language can still be found everywhere on this site, but Flame Wars was the one place where you were guaranteed to find it. It's not unreasonable that it was first to go. Personally I would have rather seen a change in the liberal stance on game chat, but if this is supposed to be the first step in making CC a friendlier place, I'm sure we'll see that happen one day.

Hmm. would a thread called, "God Damned vegetarian" be a flame wars topic?

i started that thread, its not a flame at all as the person saying that was a veggi themselves (me) there is a fine line between good fun and flaming i didnt cross it tho i have before

It is foul language, a.sub; if "flame wars" is where foul language could be guaranteed, then that makes a thread with a topic that uses foul language, a flame wars topic.

Some people are saying it's a good thing that Flame Wars was removed to reduce cursing other places. Yet, someone going into a "General Discussion" forum will see that language blazing at them, right there in the topic header.

But that topic being okay for a general discussion is evidence that eliminating flame wars didn't change what can be found everywhere else, which means that fixing a problem that wasn't broke didn't even begin to fix the problem.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby ronsizzle on Sun May 03, 2009 3:35 pm

Serbia wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

Since when? Money doesn't give you access to the forums. Freemiums are allowed to post on any public board, so that implies they can post here.

my point is this, the only thing that keeps this site running is premium members. this site would not be able to continue without them. i take their opinions as nothing because they dont contribute to this site.

if all freemies would pay 25 dollars like the preemies do, then this site could do alot of things that are being brought up in all of these forums. half of the things suggested come from freemies. i feel as if this site looks at freemies, and preemies as the same, and really should not.

i pay alot closer attention to the customers i make money on, then the customers that are strokes, and pay me no profit.

that is a flame according to the mods. you had better watch it. uhoh, that is a threat i guess too........i cant do anything right. haha
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 03, 2009 5:14 pm

ronc8649 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

That's a poor presumption. Many freemiums contribute to this site...for instance, by running tournaments.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 03, 2009 5:16 pm

ronc8649 wrote:
Serbia wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

that is a flame according to the mods. you had better watch it. uhoh, that is a threat i guess too........i cant do anything right. haha

That isn't even remotely a flame, and I feel confident that you can't find a moderator who would say that it is.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby obliterationX on Sun May 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Woodruff wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

That's a poor presumption. Many freemiums contribute to this site...for instance, by running tournaments.

... and the only reason tournaments are allowed to exist is because of paying members.

With no money going into the site, nothing is going to happen. Freemiums are leeches in that sense.
Colonel obliterationX

Postby a.sub on Sun May 03, 2009 8:28 pm

stahrgazer wrote:
a.sub wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:
Stroop wrote:Yes, foul language can still be found everywhere on this site, but Flame Wars was the one place where you were guaranteed to find it. It's not unreasonable that it was first to go. Personally I would have rather seen a change in the liberal stance on game chat, but if this is supposed to be the first step in making CC a friendlier place, I'm sure we'll see that happen one day.

Hmm. would a thread called, "God Damned vegetarian" be a flame wars topic?

i started that thread, its not a flame at all as the person saying that was a veggi themselves (me) there is a fine line between good fun and flaming i didnt cross it tho i have before

It is foul language, a.sub; if "flame wars" is where foul language could be guaranteed, then that makes a thread with a topic that uses foul language, a flame wars topic.

Some people are saying it's a good thing that Flame Wars was removed to reduce cursing other places. Yet, someone going into a "General Discussion" forum will see that language blazing at them, right there in the topic header.

But that topic being okay for a general discussion is evidence that eliminating flame wars didn't change what can be found everywhere else, which means that fixing a problem that wasn't broke didn't even begin to fix the problem.

flame wars wasnt removed because of foul language at all! im pretty sure that it was the negative attitude coming from the flame wars, meaning not in good fun.

im relatively good friends with many ppl here and we occasionally toss insults, (usually at my rank lol) but its always like
show

there were insults in there and even swear words but its not flaming

flaming is***: To use insults, innapropriate language etc. with the intent of insulting or degrading the other person
in other words good fun is not flaming, although regular flamers may say "oh we all flamed ion good fun" i think most of us can say that the insulting or degrading part was the fun, not light teasing.

its like the difference between
Holy f*ck that was a fun game!
and
U fucking moron, why dont you learn to play before joining team games.

both use foul language but one is clearly flaming and the other isnt

***just a note that this is my definition not the law/rule/commandment
Cadet a.sub

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 03, 2009 9:10 pm

obliterationX wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
ronc8649 wrote:
Night Strike wrote:

... and the only reason tournaments are allowed to exist is because of paying members.

Which is irrelevant to the statement that "freemiums don't contribute to this site", which is clearly a falsehood.

obliterationX wrote:With no money going into the site, nothing is going to happen. Freemiums are leeches in that sense.

Those that don't contribute are, sure. But those who do contribute (such as with running tournaments) are not. There are many ways to contribute to a site...financially is simply one of them.

Postby ronsizzle on Sun May 03, 2009 9:51 pm

woodruff, financially is the most important!

and do we really need freemies for running tourneys? that is just another way for them to use this site for their enjoyment. most people enjoy hosting a tourney.

now that you bring that up, i think running tourneys should only be for premium members as well. running a tourney? contributing? come on dude, we dont need freemies for running tourneys.

and as far as that flame comment a few posts ago. that was said in pure sarcasm. this is the problem with people such as yourself. you take things way too seriously. learn to laugh. i even said me saying "watch out" was a threat. omg people. i feel as if you are all out for blood in the forums. i feel like this is a website run by james dobson with a bunch of nuns as moderators.

and thank you for your pm stating i was on your foe list. the reason i am on your foe list is because i had you confused with wooddruff. i thought you understood that! but, thank you for the alert, you are on foe now as well.

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 03, 2009 10:09 pm

ronc8649 wrote:woodruff, financially is the most important!

I agree, yet that's irrelevant to the statement.

ronc8649 wrote:and do we really need freemies for running tourneys?

Do we really need ANYONE for running tourneys?

ronc8649 wrote:now that you bring that up, i think running tourneys should only be for premium members as well.

This sounds to me quite honestly like you don't want the site to be as good as it is. You sound as though you'd rather we had fewer tournaments...surely that's not what you meant?

ronc8649 wrote:and as far as that flame comment a few posts ago. that was said in pure sarcasm. this is the problem with people such as yourself. you take things way too seriously.

I do take lies about me seriously, yes. You should take statements you make about other people seriously, as well.

ronc8649 wrote:and thank you for your pm stating i was on your foe list. the reason i am on your foe list is because i had you confused with wooddruff. i thought you understood that! but, thank you for the alert, you are on foe now as well.

That is incorrect...you are not on my foe list because you confused me with wooddruff. You were on my foe list long before that. If that were the case, your apology for it would have been enough to take you off of it. Nice try, though. And you're welcome for letting you know...I thought you'd appreciate my doing as you asked (though by taking it public, you seem to be trying to make me look bad for doing as you asked, for some reason).
Last edited by Woodruff on Sun May 03, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby a.sub on Sun May 03, 2009 10:10 pm

unless i am mistaken havent a few maps been made by freemiums?
and just because you enjoy helping doesnt mean you arent helping mr. ron, that is a logical fallacy
a very good friend of mine helps like crazy, she is even going to SA, but does her enjoyment of such work mean she isnt helping?
does helping require pain?
i would think not
Cadet a.sub

Postby ronsizzle on Sun May 03, 2009 10:23 pm

woodruff, i actually had to "display your post". and since i cant say what i want to, i will say this.

your logic in dissecting that is awful. i will not compare it to things to make fun of you. the way your brain works is funny to me. do you argue just to argue? even if your argument makes no sense? i remember my autistic cousin lenny. lenny used to argue with me about everything. baseballs being round, basketballs having air in them. i miss lenny. he walked into a lake one day, and just kept on walking.

he couldnt swim. and i dont swim in lakes, so i let him drown. we were 8. if i cant see my feet and it isnt in the ocean, i am not going in. simple as that. guilt may stay with me till the day i die. but if i had to do it again. i wouldnt change a thing. he was a lot of work. and i knew that basketballs had air in them. baseballs are round.

point is this, i am right, and you are wrong.

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 03, 2009 10:25 pm

ronc8649 wrote:woodruff, i actually had to "display your post". and since i cant say what i want to, i will say this.

Sure, that's because I'm on your foe list.

ronc8649 wrote:your logic in dissecting that is awful. i will not compare it to things to make fun of you. the way your brain works is funny to me. do you argue just to argue? even if your argument makes no sense? i remember my autistic cousin lenny. lenny used to argue with me about everything. baseballs being round, basketballs having air in them. i miss lenny. he walked into a lake one day, and just kept on walking.
he couldnt swim. and i dont swim in lakes, so i let him drown. we were 8. if i cant see my feet and it isnt in the ocean, i am not going in. simple as that. guilt may stay with me till the day i die. but if i had to do it again. i wouldnt change a thing. he was a lot of work. and i knew that basketballs had air in them. baseballs are round.
point is this, i am right, and you are wrong.

Yeah, I didn't think you had any good arguments against my points either. Thanks for admitting it though, it saved us both a lot of time and effort.

Postby Mr Changsha on Tue May 05, 2009 6:15 am

I think GD has been much improved by the end of flame wars, though I genuinely feel for those who liked writing in flamewars. The proportion of 'Look. I made even more points!" posts to, frankly, anything else (which I find preferable) is much better.

With regards to the moderation of this site, I have found that you can be irreverent, ironic and often fairly horrible as long as you don't write anything aggressive or stupidly abusive. Avoiding stalking other members is also a good way to go.

The trick is that you have to keep what you write at least vaguely relevent to CC.

However, there should be a place for woodruff and ron to go when they really do want to go at it. A hotel would be ideal of course, but beyond that they could do it in a tent, in the spare room or even outside if they are feeling adventurous.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby King_Herpes on Tue May 05, 2009 10:32 am

Mr Changsha wrote: The trick is that you have to keep what you write at least vaguely relevent to CC.

I personally like how you trailed off from CC to exhibitionism.
Sorry about your little butt āœŖ Dumb fucking e-lambs the lot of you
Lieutenant King_Herpes

Postby Mr Changsha on Tue May 05, 2009 10:36 am

King_Herpes wrote:
Mr Changsha wrote: The trick is that you have to keep what you write at least vaguely relevent to CC.

I personally like how you trailed off from CC to exhibitionism.

Ah, but I started with CC. The exhibitionism was just giving something back to the deviants.
Colonel Mr Changsha

Postby King_Herpes on Tue May 05, 2009 10:42 am

The deviants yes, let's not forget about them. After all, the CC voyeurs are people too.
Lieutenant King_Herpes

Postby stahrgazer on Wed May 06, 2009 10:51 am

a.sub wrote:

its like the difference between
Holy f*ck that was a fun game!
and
U fucking moron, why dont you learn to play before joining team games.

both use foul language but one is clearly flaming and the other isnt

***just a note that this is my definition not the law/rule/commandment

I know this is just your definition; well, it happens to be my definition, too... but it's NOT CC's definition where game chat is concerned. A case in point substituted "retard" for "moron," but the rest of it was the same.

But since it's accepted in game chat, eliminating flame wars didn't stop flaming.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby GENERAL STONEHAM on Wed May 06, 2009 11:03 am

You're right, my lovely Stahrgazer. Stopping Flame Wars, didn't stop the flaming in game chat or in general discussion.

They [Moderators] were more concerned about the public criticism of certain individuals, then say the "moral collapse" of C.C.
Sergeant 1st Class GENERAL STONEHAM

Postby KLOBBER on Wed May 06, 2009 11:28 am

There is most definitely much, much, much less flaming being posted on this site since flamer wars was removed. This fact cannot be refuted.

I suspect that CC Admin is planning to reduce it elsewhere as well, perhaps even eliminate it altogether. In any case, this first step was a smashing success, and accomplished precisely what they wanted. I'm sure that the members who have young children with access to these forums are especially grateful.

I applaud their decision, and according to ALL the polls, so does the vast majority of CC members.

Thanks again, guys! You're doing a great job.

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
KLOBBER's Highest Score: 3642 (General)

KLOBBER's Highest place on scoreboard: #15 (fifteen) out of 20,000+ players.

For info about winning, click here.
Private 1st Class KLOBBER

Postby stahrgazer on Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 am

KLOBBER wrote:There is most definitely much, much, much less flaming being posted on this site since flamer wars was removed. This fact cannot be refuted.

It's not a fact, it's your opinion; others have different opinions.
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby KLOBBER on Wed May 06, 2009 11:53 am

stahrgazer wrote:
KLOBBER wrote:There is most definitely much, much, much less flaming being posted on this site since flamer wars was removed. This fact cannot be refuted.

Actually, it is quite obviously a fact.

The vast majority of flaming was most definitely in flamers wars when it existed, and flaming on the site is now greatly reduced overall. Your strange denial of this obvious fact doesn't make you look good, mentally.

Postby jiminski on Wed May 06, 2009 12:02 pm

KLOBBER wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:

The vast majority of flaming was most definitely in flamers wars when it existed, and flaming on the site is now greatly reduced overall. Your strange denial of this obvious fact doesn't make you look good, mentally.

heheh.. your flaming has increased substantially since the closure Klobbs, well done, keep fighting for the cause brother! (you are subtle but i know whose side you are really on you tinker!)

Aside from that, the flaming outside of flamewars has increased significantly, so the total number of people exposed, unavoidably to flames has increased exponentially. As you say above, the flaming was largely, if not exclusively, contained in flamewars. As it stands now, the site is a flamers playground... correct me if i am wrong but you seem to be enjoying that more than most.
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby KLOBBER on Wed May 06, 2009 12:23 pm

jiminski wrote:
KLOBBER wrote:
stahrgazer wrote:

heheh.. your flaming has increased substantially since the closure Klobbs, well done, keep fighting for the cause brother! (you are subtle but i know whose side you are really on you tinker!)

Aside from that, the flaming outside of flamewars has increased significantly, so the total number of people exposed, unavoidably to flames has increased exponentially. As you say above, the flaming was largely, if not exclusively, contained in flamewars. As it stands now, the site is a flamers playground... correct me if i am wrong but you seem to be enjoying that more than most.

That is all your opinion, and it is all incorrect.

The site has improved greatly since flamer wars was put out of its misery.

In any case, it is not ever coming back, so you people need to accept that fact, as well as the other facts that I have posted here.
Last edited by KLOBBER on Wed May 06, 2009 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 06, 2009 12:53 pm

Unless you are actually including the Flame Wars forum in your numbers, this simply isn't true. And if you are including an area of the site where flames were expected and in fact encouraged, then you're being dishonest. The rest of the site outside of Flame Wars has not noticeably improved.

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives