Conquer Club

Catch-All Area for "Non-Suggestions" (Complaints)

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Catch-All Area for "Non-Suggestions" (Complaints)

Postby BrokePony on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:07 pm

This thread is a jumble of non-serious suggestions, flames, baits, tackles, and blunders. Peruse through it at your leisure, or just let it sit here and waste away.
Cook BrokePony

Postby Charbroil on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:57 pm

It already does that.
Private Charbroil

Postby BrokePony on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:06 pm

I think when you are attacking, or actually acting it misses some of the actions, or maybe I'm just crazy. Loving the game though.
Cook BrokePony

Postby BrokePony on Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:40 pm

Ok, I just saw this happen in a game I was in. You were right. I guess that means I have no complaints or bug reports. Great Site Lack!
Cook BrokePony

If you care, you'll read

Postby shaddowfire on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:03 am

As much as I love the idea of Playing Risk online during the day, without setting anything up, it doesn't work. Lack you need to work out the rolling. I have never seen this much bad luck all around, and it isn't just me, I've heard complaint from many people. And that simply makes the game unfair. It truthfully destroys the strategy of the game. Until something can be done and make the dice rolling random, as in the real world, I'm done playing.

It was a great idea but I feel it needs some changes quickly, and until they happen I'm done. I know it is only one person, but it is my statement of protest.

Qudos for the idea, but the programming needs some serious help,

Shaddowfire
Lieutenant shaddowfire

Re: If you care, you'll read

Postby jpov06 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:11 am

shaddowfire wrote:As much as I love the idea of Playing Risk online during the day, without setting anything up, it doesn't work. Lack you need to work out the rolling. I have never seen this much bad luck all around, and it isn't just me, I've heard complaint from many people. And that simply makes the game unfair. It truthfully destroys the strategy of the game. Until something can be done and make the dice rolling random, as in the real world, I'm done playing.

It was a great idea but I feel it needs some changes quickly, and until they happen I'm done. I know it is only one person, but it is my statement of protest.

Qudos for the idea, but the programming needs some serious help,

Shaddowfire

i agree... i think that it is extremely unfair that 3 out of the 4 games in playing right now I can barely attack anyone because I KNOW, not think I will lose massive amounts of armies... i play risk a lot, and i am very unlucky, however this site made a whole new meaning about that... when i play with friends and stuff i usual attack with close to double the defending and i win, here i attack with at least double and they dont lose a single army! and no, it is not just a 2 on 1, it is like a 6 on 3, even in a couple of my games it was a 9 on 3, but from what i have seen it doesnt seem to be the same for people attacking me. As in I have lost a to a person who attacked with 13 armies on my 6, and I DIDNT kill a single army from them, even playing the computer version of risk i dont lose this armies this badly, at least then if attack is favored it is favored for everyone, likewise for defending.

You have done very well in programming this site, and just the who concept of making an online risk game is pretty cool, but as shadowfire has said you really have a lot of programming to do.

I will stick around a little longer to see if things improve, if not you wont hear from me again, since i will be gone.

jpov06
Sergeant jpov06

Postby moz976 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:40 am

I don't think that the dice is as unfair as everyone puts it up to be. I mean you win some and you lose some. I've attacked when I've had just 2 men and took out 5 or 6. But then sometimes I get bad rolls and lose a lot of armys but it's not worth all the complaining everyone does.

this is an awsome site Lack and I'm sure it's only going to get better. IMHO it's crazy to leave a site because your on a string of bad luck. The site is only 2 months old and it's free give Lack a break and give him some time to work out any bugs.
Private moz976

Not too sure....

Postby Scarus on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:11 am

I'm not too sure that there is a problem with the dice. Sure, I've gotten down when I've had a few bad turns, but I've gone on some pretty good runs too.

The one thing I've noticed is that someone does win every game.....lol

Obviously everyone's dice are not crapping out.

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Postby lackattack on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 am

There was a problem for 2 hours between 16-Feb-2006 19:46:30 and 16-Feb-2006 21:48:29 (Montreal time) where the dice ran out and everyone rolled zeroes, which really sucked. I fixed that problem and I apologize for it.

But otherwise the dice are as random as possible. The numbers come from random.org, which is based on fluctuations in atmospheric pressure.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby RLeary06 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:55 am

I just lost a 13 to 2. One of my gripes is that a defender with 2 armies can roll two dice. In the real game, they are only able to roll one.
Private 1st Class RLeary06

Postby moz976 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:02 pm

One of my gripes is that a defender with 2 armies can roll two dice. In the real game, they are only able to roll one.

actually that is wrong in the real game the defender gets to have 2 dice as long as they have 2 armies. only the attacker has to have one less die than armies on the country. Because you have to leave at least one army on the land if you win.
So conquer club is just like the real game in that respect.
Private moz976

Postby jraym on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:12 pm

I think that the dice seem a little fishy to me not because of my lose or win ratio, but because of the rarity of 1 and 1 losses. When I play the real game, the 1 to 1 losses are much more common, but here it seems like they almost never happen. I feel like this needs to be looked at, although I am not sure if it is bugged or not. Thanks Lack for all the work you do. You have put together a kickass site and we all love to play this game even though alot of people complain.
Sergeant 1st Class jraym

Postby lilwdlnddude on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:15 pm

RLeary06 wrote:I just lost a 13 to 2. One of my gripes is that a defender with 2 armies can roll two dice. In the real game, they are only able to roll one.

well didnt you notice that you were loosing? i would have stopped at 6 guys cuz thats just insain if you couldnt take out 2 with at least 7 armies. and yeah the defender gets to roll 2 dice in the real board game.
Captain lilwdlnddude

Postby Evil Pope on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:46 pm

jraym wrote:I think that the dice seem a little fishy to me not because of my lose or win ratio, but because of the rarity of 1 and 1 losses.

Are they that rare? I think most of my attacks have been 1 and 1..
Sergeant Evil Pope

Postby thegrimsleeper on Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:49 pm

Yeah, I play lots of games where my huge attacking army gets whittled down by 1-1 losses.

THE DICE ARE FINE, QUIT BITCHIN!!!!!
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

Postby Lt. Bung on Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:11 pm

Maybe the dice complaints should be made directly to random.org. I think that Lack has done a marvelous job with the site so far. The thought of leaving the site for something that Lack has very little control of seems a little petty, especially for a service that is (currently) free.

The streaky dice definitely make the game much more frustrating and may force you to change strategy mid way through an attack. I think it is much more fun than just assuming 13 v 2 is going to get me into the country with only 4 armies lost (or whatever the statistics come out to be).

-Kevin
Private 1st Class Lt. Bung

Postby Marvaddin on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Before the dices had been changed, oh, thats a real hell. In one game I wasted all my armies and dont take a single country to get a card. But now, things are normal, I think. No complaints.
Major Marvaddin

Postby molestar on Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:57 pm

The dice are fair. You just have bad luck.

Lackattack is the King of Siam
If you can't take the heat stay out of Siam
Sergeant 1st Class molestar

Postby shaddowfire on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:29 pm

I don't understand what makes this sooooo different from the board game. Like all you guys where saying, the 1 and 1 rarity, and the big upsets, I never see that on the board. Is it because this is more random than the board. I understand the differences but...I just have a hard time with the dice the way they are, that isn't to say there is a major programing glitch or anything, but something is weird about them.

This major difference just makes the game incredibly different. I love risk for the way it is on the board, and the changes are a hard for me to accept.

I do see the days of good luck and bad luck, but right now I'm on a hard core loosing streak.

Still undecided about playing,

Shaddowfire
Lieutenant shaddowfire

Postby RLeary06 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:28 pm

moz976 wrote:actually that is wrong in the real game the defender gets to have 2 dice as long as they have 2 armies. only the attacker has to have one less die than armies on the country. Because you have to leave at least one army on the land if you win.

Actually, you're wrong. I play the real game often, and I just happen to have the manual in my hand.
Private 1st Class RLeary06

Postby oman on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:29 pm

ITs a defensive game :roll:
Hippi's rule!
Cook oman

Postby jraym on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:25 am

RLeary,
You are lying about having a manual in your hand. I pulled up the Hasbro manual at this site:

http://www.hasbro.com/risk/rules.cfm

and it says that the defender rolls a die for each troop they have on the board. These are the official rules so please stop arguing that you know better if you have not looked up the information.
Sergeant 1st Class jraym

The dice are fine, your math isnt

Postby Ashen on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:42 am

The real odds are something like this:

Two die against two: Attacker wins both 23% of the time, Defender wins both 45% of the time, and both win one 32% of the time.

Three die against two: A wins both 37%, D wins both 29%, and AD split 33.5%.

These are the rough averages if there were an infinite number of roles. It's all random, so this is nothing to live your life/play your games on. The reason even splits don't happen that often is they are less probable than other combinations and much less probable than either the defender or attacker winning both.

Sorry if this takes any of the fun out of it for anyone. I can see how it might, but I think it makes it more interesting. Risks are more interesting if you know the likely consequences. Great game, thank you for making it. Will other maps become available as time goes on? Can I suggest a Montreal map?
Sergeant 1st Class Ashen

Re: The dice are fine, your math isnt

Postby jpov06 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:20 am

Ashen wrote:The real odds are something like this:

Two die against two: Attacker wins both 23% of the time, Defender wins both 45% of the time, and both win one 32% of the time.

Three die against two: A wins both 37%, D wins both 29%, and AD split 33.5%.

These are the rough averages if there were an infinite number of roles. It's all random, so this is nothing to live your life/play your games on. The reason even splits don't happen that often is they are less probable than other combinations and much less probable than either the defender or attacker winning both.

Sorry if this takes any of the fun out of it for anyone. I can see how it might, but I think it makes it more interesting. Risks are more interesting if you know the likely consequences. Great game, thank you for making it. Will other maps become available as time goes on? Can I suggest a Montreal map?

is you really want to know the real odds here is a website that created a real random number program and did all the calculation....

http://www.plainsboro.com/~lemke/risk/

and here is another exerpt from that site that proves that even if you use random.org that it still wont always be as random as you want

"Update: December, 2000: someone sent me an email recently noting that it is possible that the folks who programmed the PSX version of Risk may have indeed used a standard random number generator in the game, therefore hoping and assuming that fair dice would result. But it apparently may be possible that RNG code running on certain hardware could produce somewhat non-random results.

So it could be the case both that I'm right in that the actual gameplay does not produce fair dice but that Hasbro is right in that the game may indeed have RNG code in it. "
Sergeant jpov06

Postby moz976 on Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:06 am

RLeary06 wrote:
moz976 wrote:actually that is wrong in the real game the defender gets to have 2 dice as long as they have 2 armies. only the attacker has to have one less die than armies on the country. Because you have to leave at least one army on the land if you win.

Actually, you're wrong. I play the real game often, and I just happen to have the manual in my hand.

Unless your playing some sort of Risk variation (which there are many) then you are wrong. sorry :wink:
Private moz976

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions