Conquer Club

Issue 51: 09/12/08

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Wed May 27, 2009 7:32 pm

Hello, tournament fans, players and organizers.
New poll has gone up this week. Be sure to stop by to vote!
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

We also have some sad news from one of our staff:

Sir. Ricco wrote:Well, my time has come to say goodbye to CC. It is unfortunately news to me. Due to personally issues I will be unable to close my account properly. If you like to take over any of my accounts talk to the TDs. If I am any of your tournaments you will need to find a replacement for me. I have enjoyed running tournaments and working on the newsletter with Gozar and Gillgan. But it is time for me to say goodbye.

Goodbye
Sir. Ricco

Image Newsletter Poll
Image News Hound
Image Fun Facts
Image Currently Taking Signups
Image Tournament Updates
Image Coming Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honour
Image Amazzony's Advice
Image Interview With Optimus Prime
Image Next Issue
Image Notes
Staff

Here are the results of the last Newsletter Poll question: What format do you like best?

Standard 20%
1v1 26%
Doubles (4 player) 8%
Doubles (6 player) 3%
Doubles (8 player) 2%
Triples No votes
Quads No votes
Assassin 3%
Terminator 8%
A combination of various types 25%
All of the above 5%

Total votes : 61

Please stop by the Suggestion Thread and vote on our latest poll question: How did you come to play in tournaments?

What is Wrong with the ‘Reply Button’?

So what has happened to our Reply Button in Private Messages? Well that is what this weeks News Hound is all about…
On June 13 2008, Magiw made a suggestion in the Suggestions and Bug Reports Forum

Magiw wrote:Concise description:
  • Add a Reply All Button to PM window so that with one click you can reply to all people you received a PM from.

Specifics:
  • Code can be found at the phpbb forums, received help from the community to get it for my forum and think it would be more useful here. Info at bottom of page 2
  • phpBB Code

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • PM's between multiple players, clan members or tournament players can be handled with one button click instead of looking up individual names.

Over the past week we have all realised in some way or another that our Reply Button is not what it used to be. The Reply Button is now a Reply to All button thanks to the upgrade to the site’s forum software phpBB 3.0.3, this was happily announced by the sites webmaster lackattack.

lackattack wrote:I upgraded the forum to phpBB 3.0.3 and indeed the PM Reply button works like 'Reply to all' :D

Here is the full list of improvements in 3.0.3

Or so we thought…

Improvements? Maybe in some cases, but to those who PM but never read the forums, this has turned from what should have been a great improvement into a PM nightmare. Spam, Spam and more Spam is what everyone wakes up to every morning.

As Tournament Lovers we use the Mass PM system a great deal, for sending out tournament games to players, not to mention the countless number of clan leaders who mass PM their clan with information. Before this upgrade, when you replied to a mass PM it would only go to the sender, now with this upgrade, your reply goes to the many others who were included in the original message. You may not want others to see what you are writing, but they do because you don’t know what you’re doing. Now every morning many Conquer Club players are waking up to a full and overflowing inbox, and to find that important PM’s have been lost due to the overwhelming amount of ‘Spam Mail’.

So this weeks News Hound is not only a story but also a warning to all those who don’t know this by now, until we can get two separate buttons for this, instead of just the one please take heed and caution when replying to a mass PM, so we can all make our Conquer Club experience a little more enjoyable. To avoid this problem Night Strike has an Announcement as to how to avoid it…

Night Strike wrote:Public Service Announcement

PLEASE avoid sending out massive PMs using the "Add" button when you are sending out invitations to your tournaments or sending out the games. It gets VERY annoying to those people who have to keep receiving your replies due to the new "Reply to All" function.

Until things are fixed or cleaned up, please add the long list of players using the "Add [BCC]" button. This will keep everyone who receives the PM from receiving subsequent replies. Thanks.

~Night Strike

Well that’s all from me for this weeks News Hound, I hope you have enjoyed this weeks issue.
If you have an idea for a good story please feel free to PM samuelc812

Returning next week to get a new list going.

Here are the tournaments that are currently taking signups. Just click the title to visit the thread.

Teams Tournaments

Et, tu Brutus?
Organizer: Lindax

Super Triples Tournament
Organizer: LB Ninja

1 versus 1 Tournaments

The Army Warfare Bracket
Organizer: max if gr8

Gilligan’s Bracket Tournament V
Organizer: Gilligan

TO; League of Colonels+
Organizer: killmanic

JR’s 1v1 Challenge III
Organizer: JOHNNYROCKET24

JR’s 1v1 Challenge II
Organizer: JOHNNYROCKET24

All Around CC Maps: Brazil
Organizer: coded

All Around CC Maps: Canada

All Around CC Maps: British Isles

Cundy Comp I: Feudal War
Organizer: Cundy

ULEB Cup 2008/2009
Organizer: Fipa

All Around CC Maps: Cairns Coral Coast

Championship Series: Classic Shapes
Organizer: barterer2002

Championship Series: Classic Art
Organizer: barterer2002

General Tournaments

The Epic Final War for World Domination
Organizer: Beko the Great

Thug Life
Organizer: bigreuben
Team games and standard games

NHL League
Organizer: sensfan

Doodle Deathmatch!
Organizers: LFAW and DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID

Hitman: Asia
Organizer: ralpcptc

My Map is Better than Yours
Organizer: ralphcptc

Tupence’s Little Freestyle Islands Tour
Organizer: Tupence

Tupence’s Bigger, Better, European Tournament

Tupence’s Big Freestyle Islands Tour

The Dungeon Explorers
Organizer: cupid1080

One Chance to Assassinate

Stephan’s 4 Man Freestyle
Organizer: Stephen Wayne

Wolfman’s Champions
Organizer: Natewolfman

First Adjacent Attacks Tournament
Organizer: n00blet

Continental Champions
Organizer: sammy324

Pokemon Diamond
Organizer: Zoebear1

Best and Worst Tour
Organizer: Megadeth666

Champion of Iceland
Organizer: negoeien

The N Tournament
Organizer: ydeb

Tour de France]
[b]Organizer: a.sub

Kill the Rat: Prison Riot
Organizer: The Neon Peon

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

Asian Dinner Date
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 5x5 windmill setup.
amazzony wins!

City trip
Using a 7x7 windmill setup.
Last group send to Hong Kong
First groups are visiting San Francisco
Planned end date: 25 April.

Trippel Trappel
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
Still busy with getting the last persons in their first game.

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Seven is playing.

The Long Walk
Organisers: Gozar
All games before the next elimination are now running.

Eight In One Tournament Headquarters
Eight tournaments by different organizers, with the winners competing for a premium prize. Join one, or join them all, the choice is yours.
Gilligan's Bracket Tournament III
Hath has won.
lord voldemort's Double Elimination Delight
graulenst has won.
Natewolfman’s Lost in Translation Tournament
KidWhiskey Wins
Sir. Ricco’s Mission – Survive the Longest V4.0
biscuit boy wins
Gozar’s Battle for Waterloo Tournament
6/8 games of the finals finished.
amazzony's Musical Chairs
EdwinG wins
barterer2002's Alien Invasion
EdwinG wins
jennifermarie’s The C-list
Hath wins

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

From keiths31:In keeping with the "Musical Chairs" theme there will be:
Musical Chairs: Mini Maps
Musical Chairs: North American City Tour

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002 in the New Year
Gilligan's Islands
The Serbian Conquest
Kaplowitz's Unrelated Tournament
God of Godds
Night Sticks and Stones
Down and Dirty V
Brothers in Arms

7 Man Madness From Gilligan
January 1, 2009

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Around All CC's Maps: Alexanders Empire" -pogophiles
"Northern Europe Maps 1v1" -topper
"Around All CC's Maps: Ancient Greece" -Blitzaholic
"AOM Singles" -demonfork
"2008 Sprint Cup Series" -aspalm
"Foundry Update 6.0" -killmanic
"Around All CC's Maps: Australia" -zissou2
"Best Movie Ever, CC Edition" -gehrem
"Just Win a Game II" -BENJIKAT IS DEAD
"Subprime Crisis 2008" -gunner1980
"AOR 3 Singles 1v1 2500+" -DBandit70
"King of Merchant" -blitzaholic, davidwain, nephilim
"2500+ Midkemdil 1v1" -White Moose
"Around All CC's Maps: Africa" -elmerfudd
"Qwert Bracket Tournament III" -Natewolfman
"Space 2500+ 1v1 Singles" -Reptile
"Conquer the Continents" -Godd
"Canadian Football League 2008" -vexx & goggles paisano
"2500+ Malta 1 on 1 Singles" -White Moose
"Around All CC's Maps: Arms Race!" -joriki
"Around All CC's Maps: Archipelago" -Blitzaholic
"World Maps 1v1 Tournament 3" -gamefreakguy
"Oasis Single" - -Maximus-
"Territories Become Alive" -harvmax
"Around All CC's Maps: Age of Realms 1" -White Moose
"Around All CC's Maps: Age of Realms 2" -Sir. Ricco
"Around All CC's Maps: Age of Realms 3" -Vikorus
"Star Wars II" -MudPuppy, ultraman, otis89 and magneto_acolyte
"Supreme Feudal Doubles Tournament" -Tammy Delee and Homer_Jay
"Assassins of the World" -RAM16
"Square Dancing" -Gehrem
"Fantasy World Cup Championship" -Gehrem and Endar1077
"Short WW2 Tournament" -blockhead15
"The Private/Lower Tournament" -scottishleaf
"The 8 Thoughts" -Zissou2
"Ultimate All Maps 1x1 Tournament" -ubcman64
"H-O-R-S-E" -LFAW
"Literature Prize" -killmanic
"Don't Take Too Long: Bracket Edition" -amazzony
"CC Gaming Tour 08" -NoobX200
"Snowy Rock Races" -Shino Tenshi
"Battle of Actium" -elmerfudd
"US Pro Sports Showdown" -killmanic
"Battle of the N00Bs 3" -Watsy
"Championship Series: Cairns Coral Coast" -Natewolfman
"Foundry Update 5.2" -lunatic96
"Foundry Update 5.1" -knighthawk

It's been a few weeks now since I've given some advice but now I'll mix something together to all the organisers and players out there in hope that everybody will find something useful. If not from this issue then perhaps in the previous ones or maybe in the future.

• Firstly I'd like to mention one more thing about messaging and this goes fully to tournament organisers. Biggest mistake that I've seen in messages is that organiser either says that take a look at scoreboard or please post results to tournament thread but... why aren't you adding the link to tournament thread then? It's just a few extra clicks but make players check your thread and make things a lot comfortable for your players (and to you if you wish people to post results).
  • Now, lets move on to BBCode. You can read all about it when you follow this link which also locates under smileys when you type a message and it is under "BBCode is ON/OFF". A lot is explained in there - how to make bold, italic and underlined text, how to add colors and change size and how to mix it all. Quoting, code and list is also explained in there. Finally, linking and putting pictures to forums is also in the guide. In some future issue I will talk more about how to manage images and in next issue I will talk more about some tags.

If you have any questions or comments on today's topics then please let me know. Cya next time!

amazzony

lackattack remains tied up, so his interview remains pending. This week we sat down with former Tournament Director Optimus Prime. You can read his previous interview in this thread and scrolling down to issue #4. Next week, we have a chat with Megadeth666. The interview is based on your questions. You can send them in here.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, Optimus Prime.

A: Good Morning, Gozar.

Q: Why do you get another interview?

A: Well, I'm going to assume that it has something to do with the tournament newsletter being such a long running institution so far, and you needed someone to do a repeat interview because you had run out of organizers. It has been over a year since my last interview, and a lot has changed since then.

Q: Are we running out of new organizers to interview?

A: I think to a certain point we are, but at the same time, there will eventually be a good stock of new blood out there willing to be poked and prodded about how they like to do things.

Q: What do you think of the fact that lackattack is too lazy to finish his interview? Is lack abandoning the tournament forum too?

A: I'm a little bit disappointed. I was really looking forward to seeing what he had to say in relation to tournaments, especially the things he was tossing around in his head for possible improvements to our system. However, having worked more closely with him than most I understand he is a busy man and only has so many hours in the day.

Q: What has changed in your life since we last spoke?

A: In real life, my wife is due to have our first child (a boy) sometime in the next 13 days which is pretty exciting. I'm also getting very close to finishing up my degree at Brigham Young University (wrapping up in 1 year), and I've been working on some great websites in my free time to help further my career. One of them is even related to Conquer Club, but that's all I can tell you right now. ;)

Q: What has changed in Conquer Club since the last interview?

A: That's a loaded question, isn't it? A lot has changed. I think the site has become a little less social, which is unfortunate, and at the same time I think it has become a little more inconsistent. I'll leave it at that, otherwise I'll probably say something controversial.

Q: You retired from tournament directing. What motivated that decision?

A: There were several factors that factored into the decision. I needed more time in real life with a child on the way as well as to spend more time practicing my web programming skills. Also, the site had lost its entertainment value for me. Serving as a Tournament Director and Global Moderator is not something that is "sunshine and cookies," as a matter of fact, most of the time it's a bit of a pain in the ass. Regardless, I did enjoy my time in both positions and learned some valuable lessons. The biggest factor was loss of fun in logging in each day and I wanted to get that back. By giving it up I was able to reduce a lot of stress in my life and have fun again.

Q: What CC related projects are you working on right now?

A: Well, lets see, I obviously have my current tournaments still going. There are 5 still active, and I'm not sure yet if I'll do any past that, but 2008 Sprint Cup was quite successful, so perhaps I will run a sequel to that one at some point. Other than that, there is the usual Hall of Fame updating with Gilligan that I work on, and one other project... but I cannot reveal the details at this point. Let's just say that it is an independent activity site that will force members of Conquer Club to stretch their minds. ;)

Q: What else would you have liked to accomplish during your time as tournament director?

A: I really would have liked to somehow convince Lack to get some tournament improvements done faster, especially the ability to join separate teams in doubles, triples, and quads games. That would be one of the single biggest improvements to CC as a whole, most especially in the tournament realm. Other than that, I think I accomplished far more than I thought I would, and hopefully it was mostly well-received.

Q: What is the biggest issue facing the tournament forum?

A: Organizers who are just looking for their tournament medal, or organizers who are not putting in a full effort. It bothers me to see organizers that make the same tournament over and over and do not demonstrate that they have the ability to stretch their imagination even to the slightest degree.

Q: Optimus Prime, are there any exciting tournaments which you wish you ran earlier in the year but never got a chance?

A: Not really. I try to make my tournaments somewhat unique and I think I accomplish that for the most part.

Q: Any future tournament plans?

A: As of the moment I am writing this, no, but then I've said that before, haven't I? Right now my focus is on other endeavors that I would really like to see completed before I can get back into new tournaments. There are so many active right now that I think everyone will survive just fine without me for a few months.

Q: How do you feel the introduction of the medal system has affected tournaments?

A: My honest opinion is that I feel it was released without proper feedback from the Tournament Directors and that it has lead to a plethora of half-hearted tournament organizers just eager for a medal. The system cannot handle properly awarding the organizers who have spent months running high quality tournaments because there is a cap on the number you can receive.

Q: Your reaction to Classic Art and Centerscape?

A: Classic Art isn't too bad, at least it is playable, but Classic Shapes is atrocious. Centerscape is about equal with Classic Shapes in my opinion. At least the powers that be are allowing a Centerscape REVAMP, but Classic Art needs one too.

Q: What do you think has been Conquer Club's darkest moment?

A: Contrary to what most people think, it was not the dismissal of wicked (that was a long time coming and should have happened sooner), nor the disappearance of the Classic map (everyone will get over it, and likely already has). In my opinion it is the fact that we have not had a significant gameplay related update or improvement in almost a year. The main part of this website is to play the game, not the forums, not the medals, not anything else. To go so long without a new game feature is disappointing in my mind. It doesn't look like anything is coming in the near future however.

Q: Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: I think that they should be given the benefit of the doubt, but should be watched closely in regards to making sure they don't deadbeat or forget to join their games.

Q: People have long pondered the meaning of life, but what's the meaning of life for a robot??

A: It's all about lubricant.

Q: Favourite play colour?

A: Red. I make most of the games I play in and so I am accustomed to just looking for the red numbers when I go to take my turn.

Q: Favourite and least favourite map?

A: My favorite map to play is USA, my favorite to look at is Iceland/Charleston. My least favorite is anything that has some sort of gameplay gimmick.

Q: Favourite settings?

A: Escalating Spoils, Unlimited Reinforcements, No Fog

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A: Sequential

Q:Size of your shoes?

A: 13

Q: Favourite Food?

A: There are several. Bisquick pancakes, Stouffers Macaroni & Cheese, homemade popcorn covered in melted butter and salt, Cheezits, and Milk

Q: Who do you think is the next person to get another interview?

A: Hopefully lackattack, but I'll put my money on Steelhorse.

Q: Any parting shots?

A: Everyone should boycott the epidemic of cookie-cutter tournaments. They are boring and show a complete lack of imagination.

Q: Anything you care to wax philosophical about?

A: I thought I had something, but turns out that I don't.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: Anytime, perhaps I'll see you again in another year.

Interview with lackattack or Megadeth666 Who will it be!?

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Recruiting Editor/Fun Facts- Gilligan
Graphics/Reviews- Sir. Ricco
Tips, Tricks and Advice -amazzony
News Hound- samuelc812
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives