Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Switzerland

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Switzerland v46--April 20--PAGE 1+42 [D,GP]

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:16 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:wait, i'm confused.

when did this go from kaplowitz to him, the killing.44 and wca?

how did wca get to edit the first post when kapy was the one who started the thread? (i've never seen that before!)

ps. it looks awesome. i don't know why its been sitting around for so damn long... couldve been quenched a while ago imo

Kap's map, he is leaving, wca takes over GFX, I did XML. Andy handed over the first post to wca.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby wcaclimbing on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:27 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
whitestazn88 wrote:wait, i'm confused.

when did this go from kaplowitz to him, the killing.44 and wca?

how did wca get to edit the first post when kapy was the one who started the thread? (i've never seen that before!)

ps. it looks awesome. i don't know why its been sitting around for so damn long... couldve been quenched a while ago imo

Kap's map, he is leaving, wca takes over GFX, I did XML. Andy handed over the first post to wca.

Yep. Kap was done working on the map so killing and I offered to take it over. Since I'm doing the graphics, Andy did one of his mod power things and made it so I controlled the first post, so I could easily edit it and update the most recent images.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby bryguy on Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:47 am

1) Does Brig connect to Url (Or is it Uri?) and Ticino? It is kind of hard to tell
2) It seems very strange to have borders run into mountains, and then continue to go under the same montain and out the other side. It also looks very weird. Where Im seeing this is southern Fribourg, western Unter-Walden, and northern Sion. For northern Sion, you could just move that small mountain up a bit, that might help.
3) Some mountains overlap onto others, and I see that this is a problem especially on corners. It appears that in some places you have attempted to fix this, but in others you have not.
Corporal bryguy

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:02 pm

bryguy wrote:1) Does Brig connect to Url (Or is it Uri?) and Ticino? It is kind of hard to tell
2) It seems very strange to have borders run into mountains, and then continue to go under the same montain and out the other side. It also looks very weird. Where Im seeing this is southern Fribourg, western Unter-Walden, and northern Sion. For northern Sion, you could just move that small mountain up a bit, that might help.
3) Some mountains overlap onto others, and I see that this is a problem especially on corners. It appears that in some places you have attempted to fix this, but in others you have not.

Good suggestions.
I'll try to fix all of those.

And yes, Brig does connect to Uri and Ticino.
I'll try and make that clearer.

Postby pamoa on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:57 am

wcaclimbing wrote:Is it ok to leave the "Svizzera - Suisse - Chweiz" where it is (after I fix the spelling...) or should it be changed to have those full names?

you can leave this title although it would be more correct to put them in the following order due to the language importance
Schweiz - Suisse - Svizzera

German 64%, French 20%, Italian 7%
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby Tisha on Fri May 01, 2009 10:40 am

i don't like the color of the mountains... they are just sitting there almost crisp and purple, popping out, while everything else is smudged. can you try them without saturation?
Major Tisha

Postby oaktown on Sat May 02, 2009 2:23 am

Tisha wrote:i don't like the color of the mountains... they are just sitting there almost crisp and purple, popping out, while everything else is smudged. can you try them without saturation?

Agreed... I thought this map had some bad ass mountains a few months ago? What bugs me about these mountains is that they are all the same mountain clone stamped in different sizes - changes the whole look of the map.

And every few months I make a comment about the Brig-Ticino-Uri border - it's still unclear what's going on around there.
Captain oaktown

Postby mibi on Sun May 03, 2009 11:43 pm

I don't think this map was ever meant to be played. It's cursed.

Furthermore, its too soft now.
Captain mibi

Postby alexandrois on Mon May 04, 2009 1:53 am

i'm sorry but isn't there 6 cantons of switz, i may be wrong
Private 1st Class alexandrois

Postby pamoa on Mon May 04, 2009 1:58 am

alexandrois wrote:i'm sorry but isn't there 6 cantons of switz, i may be wrong

26 actually and they are only partially used in this map which quite far from representing precisely Switzerland, quite strange for us a we are known for our precision...
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Re: Switzerland v22--June 6--PAGE 1+18 [I]

Postby oaktown on Wed May 27, 2009 1:05 am

Here's my post from June 9, 2008:

oaktown wrote:As you work on the graphics you should try to give the borders a bit more space - the Bern to Brig attack route could easily be bigger, and as it is you could overlook it. And Geneva needs something to make it more obvious - it's like Sri Lanka in both the Asia and World 2.0 maps, I always think I have the region wrapped up and then I realize I forgot one terit.

Well, the Bern to Brig attack route has been opened up, but all of the other problems that plagued this map 1 year ago still persist. The borders are still hard to pick out (does Basel border Aargau, or is that a river?), and the three-way Uri-Brig-Ticino border - which I have been critical of for over a year - is still sloppy. The mountains were really bad, then they got better, and now they're a little bit worse. The water doesn't work, and the borders come through it. Territory names don't fit in places where they could.

One thing that really troubles me visually is that a lot of time has clearly gone into weathering the background, but the elements of the map itself don't look old. In fact, the font, colors, mountains, and style are all quite very modern - it's as if somebody laser printed the map onto a transparent sticker and pasted it to a wall. The weathering should be on top of the image, not behind it. And the image should only be weathered if it's meant to look like an old map. Well, the font would work if this were a Roman map, but as it's not it makes the font look out of place in a post-modern kind of way.

Weird having a mini map AND a key to tell you which region is which... for me, a color blind user, the key on the top right is entirely useless, as it doesn't indicate what's what or give bonus info.

I think this map needs a game plan. Taking over a map that somebody else started is fine, but it needs to be approached with an entirely fresh perspective or else it just becomes a hack job. Right now this is a hack job.
Captain oaktown

Postby Incandenza on Wed May 27, 2009 1:19 am

I'd say one of the major problems with this map is that it in no way says "switzerland" to me,especially the background, which seems to depict a forest (yet forests certainly wouldn't rank a slot if there were ever a Family Feud category for "Things you think about when someone mentions Switzerland"). The extraordinary softness of the map isn't doing you any favors either, and again seems to run contrary to the very concept of Swiss-ness. If it's a period map, there's really nothing to indicate such.

Really, it could be a map of anywhere.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 27, 2009 4:48 pm

If you want some inspiration for things that feel Swiss, check out their national tourist board site: http://www.myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home

They have a good collection of pictures on their multimedia/wallpapers section.... not a great deal of maps, but enough to give you a feel for the lakes/mountains etc. Grey just feels so wrong for such a beautiful country...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu May 28, 2009 12:00 am

So in the general idea to throw out Kap's original design and start from scratch?
Gimil will be angry :roll:

But I wouldn't mind. I'm finding it hard to make things look like I want them to look while still keeping what Kap had started.

Postby pamoa on Thu May 28, 2009 3:05 am

this map only get draft and gameplay stamps
my 2 cent opinion is as you decided to step in such a difficult project as taking over a map it shouldn't be just to finish it
but because you want to put in your own personal point of view
only this way you will be able to stand the long and enduring process
because an unfinished map is almost like just an idea you have to be able to make it yours
for me the first step should be to redesign your version of the map and not try to re-use the psd or whatever the existing file is
Cadet pamoa

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu May 28, 2009 2:48 pm

id be very happy to see this map in the right gfx :)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Incandenza on Thu May 28, 2009 2:54 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:So in the general idea to throw out Kap's original design and start from scratch?
Gimil will be angry :roll:

But I wouldn't mind. I'm finding it hard to make things look like I want them to look while still keeping what Kap had started.

Speaking purely personally, I think a plain ole geographical map of switzerland is catastrophically boring and almost certainly not worth the time you'll have to put into it, time you could be spending on something interesting, like Winter.

But that's just my $0.02
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby Epideme on Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:51 pm

Yeah I'd play it
Remember next time you're buying rat poison, spare a thought for a cheerleader...Buy an extra bottle!
Corporal Epideme

Postby captainwalrus on Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:47 pm

The boarder between basel and Aargau is really fuzzy and kinda to tell if it is passible. The same problem occurs with Uri and Brig. The line that goes through Zurich and part of Aargau is kind of destracting. I can't think of any other critisizm, but I really like this map and it is a shame that it is all the way at the bottom.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby pamoa on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:02 am

last update April 26 last mapmaker post May 28
is this project dead ?
Cadet pamoa

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:26 am

I'm not sure if its dead or not...

I've just lost most of my interest in mapmaking. Recently I've been focusing a lot on learning digital painting. Haven't had much of a desire to go back to mapmaking.....

Postby pamoa on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 am

then I would say it is dead
the reason I'm interested in is because I want to make some new proposition for Switzerland
so when if you don't mind I'll start with a new thread
Cadet pamoa

Postby RjBeals on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 am

pamoa wrote:then I would say it is dead
the reason I'm interested in is because I want to make some new proposition for Switzerland

looking forward to this one.
Private RjBeals

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:26 am

pamoa wrote:then I would say it is dead

Thats fine with me.
Good luck!

Foundry staff, could you move this to the recycling bin?

Postby oaktown on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:00 am

I won't go so far as to say that I'm glad that it's being binned (never good to see a project die) but while this one was never a bad map it was also never a great map - some basic problems never got ironed out over the many months that this map has been around.

I'm looking forward to your fresh start, pamoa! :)
Captain oaktown

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box