Conquer Club

Issue 70: 23/04/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Postby Gozar on Thu May 28, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello tournament fans. Gilligan is graciously staying on for an issue or two, until a replacement is found.
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Newsletter Poll
Image Seeking Staff
Image News Hound
Image Currently Taking Signups
ImageTournament Updates
Image Coming Soon
Image The Tournament Roll of Honuor
Image Ask the Nutts
ImageInterview with Pedronicus
Image Next Issue
Image Notes
Image Staff

Our new poll is still up. This time the question asks: Which newsletters do you read?
Please stop by the Suggestion Thread and vote.

The newsletter needs new staff. If interested in a position below, please PM Gozar.

Currently Taking Signups -With Gilligan's departure, the newsletter is in need of someone to compile a weekly list of all the tournaments in signups. If you are organised, through and can keep to a schedule, this could be a position for you.

Fun Facts -Gilligan also leaves behind his Fun Facts column. Do you have some fun tournament facts you are interested in sharing? Experience with the tournament forums is a must.

Tournament ReviewsDo you have a passion for tournaments? Have lots of tournament organising experience? Have solid writing skill? Willing to offer a subjective opinion of some tournaments on occasion? Drop us a line.

by blacky44

Hello.

With Flame Wars closing down I decided to write about it. I PMed a dozen people but only three were reached for comment. I hope you enjoy this short report.

Steelhorse Wrote
Actually, I have no opinion about FW. I never visit the forum and I could care less what is said within it. So obviously I could do without it.

But, I suppose it does serve a purpose by providing an outlet for those that feel the need to be heard and act in a way that only FW allows. Better there than throughout the other forums.

Gilligan Wrote
I think the closure of Flame Wars will only benefit the community. It will make Conquer Club a more friendlier place, which can only be good for all of us and it makes it a more family friendly community. Not as much swearing, no beating on anyone else, it's all good.

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote
Hey blacky,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been giving the question some thought. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it much before because I rarely entered flame wars. I think the removal of Flame Wars was definitely the right move. Although it allowed people to take out there frustration, it often leaked into other parts of the forums. Now with it gone, although some people are upset, I definitely think it will be a large benefit to CC in the long run. Flaming isn't necessary, and all it really does is spread negativity. With it gone, I think we'll see a happier community in the long run, as well as more positive attitude throughout the site. People need to remember that Flame Wars wasn't something included in the cost of premium membership, so they can't really get too upset that the administration has gotten rid of it if they felt it was a detriment to the site.

--TFP

I hope you have enjoyed this short story. This is blacky44saying good day. Tune in next time for a interview with Oaktown.

Sadly, we cannot bring you a complete list of tournaments taking signups, as we are understaffed at the moment.

Isle Cruise
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 7x7 windmill setup
Plan is to visit with 49 people in total 7+ Isles each with 7 persons, but never the same.
First games on 3 May

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter!

The Five Elements
Organiser: Kinnison
Elimination round 65% complete, anticipate Finals beginning June 2009
5x5 Divisional play, Hyper Round Robin (Home advantage GUARANTEED against every combination of 3, 4, and 5-player games within the division) over 10 weeks. Division winners advance to repeat the format in the finals.

Trippel Trappel
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
The Santa singers are still busy at getting out of Artic: still cool :?
Planned End Date: 5 May

Mac Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup
Three cars keep on driving, it can take a very long time to find the way back home
Planned end date: 10 October

Bar Double Dutch
Using a 3x3 windmill setup
Candle light was not a good idea, part of the bar is still at fire :!:
I hope we can get people from the last table out alive :roll:
Planned End Date: 29 April

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Eleven is winding down.

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

From Kinnison Five Elements Shuffle- 5 players. Home advantage across multiple 3-, 4-, and 5- player games. Each player plays 20 opponents across 5 weeks, ALL new opponents every week! Highest score of your group (whom you do NOT play against) advances to the finals, where opponents do NOT rotate.

From jpcloet Deadly Vipers Inc. - This innovative tournament will feature 8+ components that have either never been in a tournament before, or have been rarely seen. Can your skills inside and outside of the game bring you the bounty?

From keiths31:In keeping with the "Musical Chairs" theme there will be:
Musical Chairs: Mini Maps
Musical Chairs: USA Map Pack
Musical Chairs: Island Tour

Tournament ideas from the mind of barterer2002
Championship Series Continues

Formula 1 2009 Tournaments from jricart

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Conquistidor Hispano 1" -darth emperor
"Jump the Castle Tournament" -neanderpaul14
"Champions League 2008-2009" -redbugal & gilgor
"My Map is Better than Yours" -endar1077
"Trapped in the Myst: Ireland" -dustin800
"Championship Series: DDay" -nick11
"Around All CC's Maps: Conquer4" -b00060
"Terrorism 101" -ldybajc
"Around All CC's Maps: Crossword" -Lindax
"Daviedoo Invitational" -Daviedoo and Lindax
"Awesome Foursome Tournament" -Chariot of Fire, jpeter15, Shatners Bassoon, Daryth
"JR's 1v1 Challenge VII" -Witt13
"Conquer the Globe" -fumandomuerte
"Foundry Update 9.0" -LLLUUUKKKEEE
"Final Fantasy Wars - FFI" -Sun Tzup
"Estonian Soccer League" -killmanic
"Blind Date Doubles Tournament" -Dota & Jennybh
"The Medal Heads Invitational" -peanutsdad
"Championship Series: Discworld" - killmanic
"b00060's Classic Shapes Tournament III" -jrbedwell
"Think...small?" -HighlanderAttack
"Twiztids Terminator 4" -JOHNNYROCKET24
"ES-C-RAZY-LATORS" -BaldAdonis
"Foundry Update 9.6" -lunatic96
"Discworld Terminator" -ultrafit
"Double Dutch Doubles" -roelbianca & sjnap
"Fantasy Fight" -Blitzaholic, Nephilim, Dividedbyzero, Big Whiskey
"40kguy's lux tourny" b00060
[b]"The Second World War" -
sirron
"The Conquer of the Celts" -andreas1977
"Mixed Maps II" -Blitzaholic,Big Whiskey,osujacket
"Euro Wars" -blitzaholic, dividedbyzero, big whiskey, nephilim
"Around All CC's Maps: City Mogul" -banana_hammocks
"World Fitz Dubs Tourney II" -Nephilim & AAFitz
"World Fitz Dubs Tourney IV" -Nephilim & AAFitz
"Doubles League Bracket Style" -lt.pie&Velvecarrots
"US of A Assassins" -b00060
"Musical Chairs: North American City Tour" -Hath
"007: Bond James Bond #1 Dr No" -abel
"Super Quick Tourney Season 5" -andreas1977
"Feudal War 1v1 Tourney" -Seamusk
"BCS Busters" -Bones2484
"Feudal War" -Chariot of Fire
"Moody's Non-premium Classic 2" -GoldKnight
"European Speed Cup" -Sun Tzup
"Games Night CC Style" -dtellis
"Midkemdil Exterminator" -danryan
"keiths31's Beer Festival" -negoeien
"Round Robin USA" -harvmax

by David Hoekstra

Ask the Nutts. . .a Q&A column (a cross between Dear Abby and Cliff Claven)
(an explanation of what it is all about)
Members, especially new members are encouraged to send in questions to "The Nutts". The three Nutts brothers will do their best to answer the questions.

R. Nutts, PHD – doctorate English, the Official Conquer Club expert
H. Nutts, MBA – looks at the business/economic/efficient side of things
A. Nutts, BS – lesser educated of the trio, gives a layman’s viewpoint

Have a question for the Nutts? PM David Hoekstra, Gozar, or click here and post in the thread.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-

Q: If you could be the editor-in-chief to any one of the three CC newsletters, which one would you be and why? - dittoeevee8888

A: R. Nutt, PhD: Community. . .because it brings out the interviews with REAL people (Oaktown, Gimil, Fireside, etc.).

H. Nutts, MBA: Foundry. . .because of the variety: St Pat’s day, New Maps. That’s the best chance to have fun – and Fundamental CC without Fun is just. . .daMental CC.

A3 - A Nutts, BS: I’d say Tournaments. . .because I love the taste of almost all kind of ments: pepperment, spearment. . .My girlfriend says “yeah, all except Commitment”

This week we had a chat with Pedronicus. All questions in the interview are submitted by readers. jpcloet is on deck for next week, whose organized events include:
Official - LODEDI, and 1 soon to come
LOD Internal 1v1 ladder (on version 2 now)
9 LOD Mini Doubles (Mixed Doubles)
11 Clan Wars(9 complete, one on a tie-breaker, and 1 half complete)
The Clan League -1350 games, largest known private league. I've organized it but all the clans are the ones executing it.
You can submit your questions in this thread.

Now, on with the interview!

Q:[/b] Hello, Pedronicus.

A: Hello

Q:What makes you interview worthy?

A:Well I suppose It's because of the fact that I organised the first truly huge CC tournament. It was back in the summer of 2006 and the FIFA World Cup was about to happen.
I had this idea that with the international mix of people on CC I could of made an equally patriotic tournament with people from each country proudly trying to get their country to win it.
Obviously, I wasn’t going to get a team of shit hot Argentines to match Argentina’s football ability, so we had several USA, Canadian and English teams.

Q:How did you find this website?

A: I’d been playing risk with friends on a Thursday night for years. We had all moved away over the years and the Thursday night get together died a death. My mate found the site and got me to agree to join so he could kick my arse. I kicked his arse in the first game and loved playing risk on line ever since.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A: I was missing my Thursday night fix. (see above)

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A: There’s more kudos involved to win all games to reach the winning post. Idiots and luck are greatly reduced by the process. A tournament winner is a worthy winner.

Q:What made you want to run a tournament?

A: I had fallen off some scaffolding at work, broke a rib and was covered in cuts and bruises. I was off work for about 4 weeks. I was housebound and I had a lot of spare time on my hands.

Q:What tournament did you first run?

A: The CC 2006 World Cup. It was a triples tournament (triples being the largest team size available then)

Q: Where did you get your inspiration for your tournament?

A: Strangely enough the World Cup.

Q: Describe the experience of running your first tournament, and the first played in.

A: I ran and played in the 2006 World Cup. I was sending out personal invites from the leader board list of players. It filled up fairly quickly bearing in mind the originality of the idea.
My experience of it was terrible. In those days, there were none of the current tools available. All LackAttack could do for me was to enable me to make a game as a blank game. If anyone joined the wrong team or dropped a game – the whole game dissappeared and had to be remade.
I needed to make 64 games for that tournament and to make my job easier, I asked each team to assign a captain to organise their teams. Some teams were switched on and gave me no aggravation, but there were many novice teams who regularly made games disappear.
The other pain the neck, were people who wouldn’t join teams of the same nationality and would only want to play with their regular team mates. The whole idea of the tournament was that a country would win it, not a team of regular team mates. I was running the World Cup tournament, not the Premier League. What ever happened to national pride?

Q:Tell us about your overall tournament experience from when you first joined a tournament to the present day. How has it changed for you? Is it a better experience than before? Worse?

A: Better. Nothing could have made me pull more hair out than running that first tournament. It took me 2 years to get over the first one, before I took the plunge again!

Q: What is your favourite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A: The World Cup tournament. I prefer team games and the idea of a group stage at the start stops lucky teams progressing further than they should.

Q:Are you selective about which types of tournaments you join or do you join just about everything you can fit into your personal game load? If you are selective, do you look for certain styles or organizers?

A:I’m very selective. I won’t play 1v1, freestyle or unlimited forts. I’ve joined a few tourneys that went nowhere because the organiser didn’t understand the workload involved with the tournament. You can now spot decent organisers due to the new medals. A great additional piece of information!

Q:What would be your dream tournament if someone were to offer to run it for you so that you just had to show up and play? Or, have you already participated in your dream tournament?

A: Great question and very easy to answer. It would be a quads tourney of the best players from each country in a World Cup style group stage first, moving onto knockout games to the final.
Games would all be sequential, but forts and cards being mixed up. Map choice would be for maps with a maximum of 72 and a minimum of 48 territories with no single territory bonuses and no bombardment etc.
Maps that stay true to the way the original Risk map gave you bonuses.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: At the moment I’m playing in 4 tournaments of varying game load.

Q: How excited where you with your first CC win?

A: Fairly excited. Game number 480 allowed me to beat my best friend who found the site and alerted me to it.

Q: What is your most disappointing tournament loss to date?

A: It’s early days but the credit crunch tournament looks like being a complete disaster for our team. Our loss has been down to the dice. If you can’t break a bonus with 16v6 then you might as well go and slam your fingers in a desk drawer repeatedly.

Q: In your mind, what makes a successful tournament?

A: A tournament where the maps differ. I once joined a tourney where we had to choose a home map (playing home and away). I was sick of looking at our home map and lost the will to live / play.

Q: Is there anything in particular that you dislike about tournament organizing?

A: People who manage somehow to join the wrong team (even if you send auto join info to team leaders to pass onto their team)

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: too many games / too many people = tournament organiser gives up after 2 rounds.

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A: If you’re going to put the effort in to run one, then by all means take part in your own tournament. It helps you gauge the time of making the next round of games.
As far as pitting yourself against team mates, that’s all ok with me as well.

Q:Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: No. they need to learn the art of playing maps and understanding how to communicate via pm’s.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: Over zealous unpaid moderators in the general discussion forum. The majority pay CC. A couple of paid professional moderators wouldn’t go amiss.

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: 2 hours on and off of an evening

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: Yes. Competitive clan – The Imerial Dragoons, user groups – The Super Elite, Stachewackers and Veterans Forum

Q:Who are you?

A: Pete

Q: Why did you pick the name Pedronicus?

A: I called myself Pedro for ages as a personal nickname. I have a 12” record by a group called ‘Andronicus’ I spliced the two together and came up with Pedronicus.

Q:Where did you get your avatar?

A: The infamous Steve Griffiths. (A multi from the old days.) I discovered one day who he was using as his avatar and fancied a change. I thought it would make a few people think that I could have been Steve Griffiths because we were both from England.

Q:Where are you from?

A:London

Q:What do you think of sailorseal?

A: I wasn't aware of him until i did a search. I did a search and I think he needs to make bigger tournaments with more outlandish settings. If you are going create a failed tournament, you need to sign up most of China and at least half of India before you can say it was a massive disaster.
Either that or Sailorseal is in fact the next generation of super computer chips developed by IBM and we have all missed an opportunity to see 20 petaflops in action on Lacks site!

Q:Who was that sexy bastard fixing your kitchen?

A: The sexy bastard was a plumber. He came round and plumbed in my tap and washing machine, but I never took any photos of him.
The grinning fool that appeared in the photos was me and I installed everything else. If anyone wants advice on fitting a kitchen, ask me, because there were several things i should of done before doing other bits and it's caused me tons of grief to fit them afterwards.

Q:Favorite pint of bitters?

A: currently I've been drinking this... (not a bitter, but very nice all the same)

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Blue or green

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: Favourite: North America, least favourite: too many to mention

Q:Favourite settings?

A: 6-8 player, Escalating, adjacent or chained, sequential.

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A: seq.

Q:How does it feel to be interviewed?

A: Fine thanks. It’s not as if you are a nasty copper and my DNA has been discovered on the clothes of a dead hooker.

Q: Any parting shots?

A: Yeah, delete old maps that no one plays and bring them back for a month per year. There’s too much crap out there.

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: It was a pleasure.

Interview With jpcloet

News Hound: Oaktown

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM Gozar using this form:

----------------FORM-------------------
Tournament Name: (with link)
Organiser Name:
Brief description or update:
Rough estimate of percent complete/signed up:
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-blacky44
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Contributors- People like you!
Lieutenant Gozar

Return to Newsletter Archives