Conquer Club

Issue #83 - 22/07/09

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Issue #83 - 22/07/09

Postby Gozar on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:39 am

22/07/09

Hello tournament players and fans.
This will be my last issue. After this, sailorseal will be taking over.
I had a lot of fun. Thanks for reading!
As always, if you have any ideas or just want to help out, drop us a line.

Thanks, and enjoy!
Gozar

Image Fact of the Week
ImageNewsletter Poll
ImageNews Hound
ImageCurrently Taking Signups
ImageTournament Updates
ImageComing Soon
ImageThe Tournament Roll of Honuor
ImageInterview with Steelhorse
ImageNext Issue
ImageNotes
ImageStaff

Gozar ran the newsletter for 80 issues.

Our current poll is still running and asks: "Would you like to see more 'Official' tournaments? So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. What do you think?
Please stop by the poll thread and vote.

Conquerclub Trivia
by JoshyBoy

"Since it’s launch in January 2006, ConquerClub has grown and flourished with many changes being made and many exciting things taking place over the past couple of years. The most recent and most notable of these things, being the creation of a brand new website, ConquerClub Trivia, by the well-known, long-term ConquerClub player, Optimus Prime. He states that the purpose of this website is to specifically “provide the membership of ConquerClub something else to do between those turns that seem to take eons to arrive.” He also adds that he hopes it can “provide a little bit of distraction for all of you now and again.” We hear you on both accounts OP! :lol:

The website contains a selection of questions on the topics of TeamCC, Maps, Tournaments, Forum “Lore”, Site Features, and Clans, as well as questions about ConquerClub in general. Questions can be submitted by players which will then be reviewed before being added to the selection of questions available. Within the first week of it’s launch on the 14th of July this year, the website has already amassed over 300 questions with many more being submitted every day just waiting to be reviewed and added in.

Other features on “ConquerClub Trivia” include a simple scoring system, accompanied with a scoreboard which shows stats such as the number of questions answered and the percentage individual players have answered correctly. There is also a page on which to leave feedback, good or bad, and a page of Frequently Asked Questions. All feedback is welcomed as the website is like “a newborn babe”, in need of nurturing and care and we can all contribute to the fantastic work already done. =D>

You can access OP's official ConquerClub Trivia forum thread by clicking here or go straight to the ConquerClub Trivia website by clicking here.

Now go test your brainpower!"

jricart is on holiday and a complete signup list is unavaiable. If you would like to see your tournament included here, please PM sailorseal or visit this thread.

K3-Factor using a 6x6 windmill setup
Organiser: PaulusH
Using a 6x6 windmill setup
Needs 6x6=36 individual players to play 9 triples games each with mixing teams
First games start: 2 August

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter, and PM it to Gozar or post it in this thread.

Initech IV: European Vacation
Organiser: Peter Gibbons
Initech IV will be a 3-round tournament with 36 players. Like all Initech tournaments, it's foggy, chained, flat rate and sequential. The first round will be twelve 3-person groups. Each group will play 6 games on the smallest European maps with the games being a mix of standard and assassin. The winners of each group advance to the semis where there will be three 4-person groups. In the semis 10 games will be played on 10 different European maps (half standard, half terminator). The top two in each group advance to the final, which is a single 6-person game on the Europa map, played standard. The winner of this game is tournament champion.

Organiser: drake_259
This tournament is on round 13, its the final round. there will be 13 games taken place, 1v1 against Haggis_McMutton and pimphawks70. who ever shall win at least 7 games will go on and we crowned as the lucky 13 and as a special prize they will have won themselfs a year premium prize. Good Luck too them both

Isle Cruise using a 7x7 windmill setup
Organiser Name: PaulusH
First group left British Isles
Planned end date: 6 September

Mac Dinner Date using a 5x5 windmill setup
using a 5x5 windmill setup
Last car stopped visiting the McDrive. Dinner is over. keeper16 is our big WINNER =D> =D>

Double Iron Bar
Using a 3x3 windmill setup
First Sake still tastes good
Planned end date: 21 August

Bring Your Own Recipe (BYOR) Dinner Date
Using a 5x5 windmill setup
Looking forward for the soup
Planned end date: 19 October

The Legend of Tor Na’Mit
Organizer: Gozar
Round Fourteen wrapping up.

Here are some tournaments that noted tournament organisers are planning on running soon.

Coming Summer/Fall 2009 from the mind of barterer2002

3 For 4 (Teams of 4 playing triples in all combinations ABC, ABD, ACD, BCD)
Barts Modern Random Tournament
The Discovery Series: Cities of the World
The Championship Series:
The New Scooby Doo Tournaments
Sci Fi actors (featuring actors who have been characters on multiple Sci Fi series)
Down and Dirty VI
The Escalating Tournament II

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"LxDS Whale Watching" -seamusk & danfrank
"Fred is Dead!" -Wolfstyle
"Singles All Over the World" -Craig82
"WorldFitz Deluxe Tourney I" -300spartans & gannable & ironwood & meanestbossever
"F1 2009 Monoco GP" -Anila8
"b00060's Insane in the Brain" -EagleofGreenErth
"Qwert Bracket Tournament VII" -Sirron
"The Conquest League" -wcaclimbing
"Super Quick Tourney 7" -Cubs24
"Mac Dinner Date" -keeper16
"Kot's April 6th Tournament" -DBandit70
"Mr Classic IV" -bjc23
"Lany's Feudal Triples Bracket Tournament"-Chuuuuck, BoganGod, WolffyStyle
"Trippin Out in France" -aspalm, bigroo4601, hambone
"Mario Party Superstar II" -drake_259
"Tupence's BBET" -General Flashman
"2009 World baseball Classic Quads" -banana_hammocks, Natewolfman, vtonic and topper
"Conquistador Hispano 5" -Renovamus
"Beta Beta Beta"- Annexator
"Battle for World Supremacy 1v1 Tournament" -AAFitz
"Friends Close, Enemies Closer II" -banana_hammocks
"Sams Awesome Doubles Tournament" -thezepman & rabbiton
"Trainee Triples" -Captain_Scarlet, neanderpaul14 & notyou2
"Mixed Doubles Ordina Open" -Delving & Beinion
"Through the Ages" -Culs de Sac
"Wimbledon Ascending Doubles" -scottishleaf & phantomfears
"LxDS Shadow and Flame" -Daviedoo and Lindax
"random tournament" -aselwyn1
"Territory War" -Sirron,Danryan,Tdog0533,Pridekiller
"LxDS Forbidden Fruit" -Wild_Tiger & AAFitz
"Trippin Out in Gr8 Lakes"- Dshedd, Absolute, General Anarchy
"HAs Cinco de Mayo" -AndrewB
"First Adjacent Attacks Tournament" -xelabale
"Trippin Out in Extreme" -[b]gannable,ironwood, blue baron
[b]"Beta Beta Beta"-
Annexator
"Territory War" -Sirron,Danryan,Tdog0533,Pridekiller
"Dobles Hispanos 1" -Cilindr0 & Finneas
"LxDS Shadow and Flame" -Daviedoo & Lindax
"From Large games to Small Games" -LLLUUUKKKEEE
"1v1 Mission Impossible" -endar1077
"Battle for Supremacy" -odratsab
"Lost? Where and When are we?" -Remi
"Caymanmew's classic Tournament" -GreazzzzMaster
"Sparta vs Argos" -Cowboyz, AndrewB, Carl2216, Dragon Dor, Jinks
"The Apprentice 1 - CC style" -killmanic
"CC Golf Championships" -Shatners Bassoon / Chariot of Fire / jpeter15 / lt.pie
"LxDS Discover Iberia" -pacalleke and dragon dor
"Super Quick Tourney Season 6" -DBandit70
"One on One Knockout Tournament" -galix

This week we had the opportunity to once again interview Steelhorse, one of our tournament directors. All questions were submitted by readers of the newsletter.

Now, on with the interview!

Q: Hello, Steelhorse.

A: Hiya, Goz.

Q:What has changed since your last interview?

A: I'm about 2 years older. And, I've stepped down as Global Mod and I've passed the torch to Natewolfman as Head Tournament Director.

Q:What does the future of tournaments on Conquer Club look like?

A: I think it's never looked better. The quality of tournaments has gotten more creative, number of tournaments has grown exponentially, and the tools with which to run and manage them have improved, as well.

Q:Tell us about your overall tournament experience from when you first joined a tournament to the present day. How has it changed for you? Is it a better experience than before? Worse?

A: I think the whole tournament experience has gotten better for everyone, both staff and community members. When I assumed the position of Tournament Director, I was the only one. The popularity of tourneys just seemed to grow from there. Now we have to have anywhere from 4-5 Tourney Directors just to keep up with the workload.

Q: How many tournaments have you run already, and do you have a goal in mind for how many you want to run in total before you "retire"? How many are you running right now?

A: Surprisingly, I've only ever run 2 tourneys on CC. Real life and my workload on CC never really gave me the time to run many tourneys. Plus, I enjoy helping other members out with their tourneys just as much, or more, than running my own. There are so many new and creative tourneys that have come along over the years, I never saw a need to do too many of my own.

Q:What tournaments have you organized?

A: Just the two RiskTOC Satellite Tournaments.

Q:What is your favourite tournament you have run?

A: Hmmm...so many to choose from.

Q:What would you say is your most successful tournament and why?

A: They both went really well. Each year, I run my tournament and the winner wins a free seat in the live International Risk Tournament of Champions, event. I really enjoy that.

Q: What is your favorite tournament you’ve played in? Why?

A: I really enjoyed a Mod vs. community tourney I was in recently, run by Johnny Rocket. That was alot of fun because not only was I rooting for myself, but my staff-mates as well.

Q:Are you selective about which types of tournaments you join or do you join just about everything you can fit into your personal game load? If you are selective, do you look for certain styles or organizers?

A: I'm actually very selective when it comes to joining tourneys. I don't join many, again, mainly due to time limitations. But, when I do join a tourney, I usually look for a reliable organizer, the maps that I enjoy playing, and a little creativity (without being overly complicated). I hardly never play Freestyle games, though. I'm not smart enough and neither is my computer.

Q:What would be your dream tournament if someone were to offer to run it for you so that you just had to show up and play? Or, have you already participated in your dream tournament?

A: My dream tourney is any tourney that I win.

Q: Overall, are you playing a lot in tournaments? If not, then why and where do you find your games to play?

A: As I mentioned above, I don't play in many tournaments. I have a 2 year old son, a full time job, and a nagging wife. I'm lucky to play when I can. Mainly, I just focus on getting my ass kicked in Speed games when I have the time.

Q: What makes a successful organizer?

A: Good organizational skills and the time to follow it through to the end...period.

Q: What mistakes do you see tournament organizers make the most?

A: In the past, I've seen some organizers run too many tourneys at once. Unless you're retired, not married, and have no kids it's very difficult to effectively track and stay on top of multiple tournaments. So many organizers have run anywhere from 4-10 tourneys at a time only to watch them all fail because something unexpected came up in real life, or they misjudged how time consuming it can be.

Q:What is your opinion on organizer neutrality? Should organizers be allowed to place themselves against their own clanmates in tournaments? Should organizers be allowed to join their own tournaments at all?

A: Depends on the integrity of each individual. After a while, people will catch on if you are playing shady or having secret alliances. To me, the embarassment and loss of respect isn't worth a few points. But, I wouldn't say that organizers can't join their own tourney. I would prefer not to paint everyone with the same brush, and deal with the punks individually.

Q: Should “question marks” be allowed to join tournaments?

A: I believe they should. Admittedly, they can really screw things up if they don't know what they are doing right away. But, it's what may have attracted them to CC and keep them around and interested. They'll catch on eventually.

Q: If you could change one thing about Conquer Club in general, what would it be?

A: Hmmm...not much. We've come so far over the last couple years. Most of the things that I would have addressed already have been. You should have asked me that 2 years ago...lol.

Q: If there was something that the Conquer Club administrators could implement into the game to make tournaments easier to manage, what would it be? Similarly, is there anything you would like to see taken away from Conquer Club to make running tournaments easier?

A: Well, handing out medals for Winners and Organizers is incredibly time-consuming, which is why I only do it once a month, or so. And, Gilligan does the coding for them which is just as time-consuming. A template of some sort for doing that would be cool.

Q: Is there anything that you would recommend to encourage new tournament organizers?

A: Just give it a shot. Get your feet wet with a nice little 16 person tourney, and expand upon your size and creativity from there.

Q:When did you become a Tournament Director?

A: Not sure of the exact date. I think it was towards the end of 2006 or beginning of 2007.

Q:What have you learned from being a Tournament Director?

A: Patience!!! Seriously though, I've met a lot of new people and made some great friends over the past few years, many whom I've been fortunate enough to meet in person.

Q:Why did you become a Tournament Director? Is the job as expected?

A: I've always loved tournaments of any kind, so when Lack approached me, it was a no-brainer. I have also been involved in running RiskTOC for many years, so I already had the experience. It's been even better than I expected.

Q:How much time does CC take from your day?

A: Not as much as it used to. I've had to really cut back over the past 6 months or so. It used to take up 2-3 hours a day (at least), when it was just me. Then, I brought Optimus on board thinking it would take some of the load off. Well, he went berzerk with all of his new and inventive plans and ideas and ended up creating more work. :lol: Just kidding, if it weren't for Opt, Tournaments would not be what they are today. Since then, Gilligan and Nate have joined us and done a stellar job. They are the true backbone of the Tournament Forum.

Q:Are you a member of any clans or usergroups?

A: Nope. I didn't join a clan because of my positions as Global Mod and Tourney Director. Often, I had to make some tough decisions and never wanted them to be subject to bias or scrutiny from others.

Q:What are your thoughts on Conquer Club's first and so far only official tournament, the CC Olympics?

A: I think it went well and will just keep getting better. I had a blast.

Q:Why haven't we seen more official tournaments?

A: Not sure. I think time limitations on behalf of the staff are a large reason. Trying to juggle their day-to-day duties AND direct a large-scale tourney is not easy.

Q:Are official tournaments planned for the future? You may not use OTIS in your response.

A: I'm sure they are, but I'm not aware of any specifics at the moment.

Q:What about in clan tournament privileges?

A: Personally, I don't have an issue with it. There are so many tourneys out there to join, that there are plenty of opportunities for everyone to find something that appeals to them. But, I also see validity in the opposite argument, as well, that says everyone should have an opportunity to join any tourney they wish. Tough call...not sure what the right answer is.

Q:Who are you?

A: Not sure. I thought I knew, but the older I got, the less sure I became.

Q:Where are you from?

A: From Connecticut, now I live in New York.

Q:Favourite play colour?

A: Red

Q:Favourite and least favourite map?

A: Favorite- Triple Alliance
Least favorite- anything too complicated

Q:Favourite settings?

A: Standard, Sequential, Flate Rate, Sunny, Casual

Q:Freestyle or sequential?

A: Sequential. I avoid Freestyle like a horny grandmother with no teeth.

Q: Any tournaments planned for the future? What are they?

A: Just the RiskTOC tourneys. But, maybe I'll surprise ya with something else. I've had a few ideas floating around in my head for a while.

Q:How does it feel to be interviewed again?

A: Fun. See you again in a year or two.

Q: Any parting shots?

A: Nope. Well, actually I'd like to thank you, Goz, for the great job you've done with this Newsletter over the past year or two. =D>

Q: Thank you for your time.

A: Later

sailorseal debuts as editor

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM sailorseal using this form or visit this thread!:

----------------FORM-------------------
Status of tournament
Tournament Name(with link please)
Organiser: [Your name with 'player' tag]
Brief Description
(If recruiting) Approx. number of players needed
(If Ongoing) Approx. number of games remaining/percentage complete
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- Gozar
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-JoshyBoy
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Fact of the Week-sailorseal
Currently Taking Signups-jricart
Contributors- People like you!
Last edited by sailorseal on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: To sticky this thread
Lieutenant Gozar

Re: Issue #83 - 22/07/09

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:55 pm

What do people think of my news article? Any feedback is welcome. :)
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby sailorseal on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:27 pm

JoshyBoy wrote:What do people think of my news article? Any feedback is welcome. :)

I like it so much I think I'll have you write one for the next issue! :lol:
Cook sailorseal

Postby Gozar on Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:39 pm

JoshyBoy wrote:What do people think of my news article? Any feedback is welcome. :)

Good work. You have a nice newsletter career ahead of you.
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby colton24 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Status of tournament: need players
Tournament Name Colton24's 1st Annual " Rule the Galaxy " Tourney
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=92282
Organiser: Colton24
RULE THE GALAXY IN THIS GREAT TOURNEY
[15/32] reserves [0/8]
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:25 pm

colton24 wrote:Status of tournament: need players
Tournament Name Colton24's 1st Annual " Rule the Galaxy " Tourney
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=92282
Organiser: Colton24
RULE THE GALAXY IN THIS GREAT TOURNEY
[15/32] reserves [0/8]

You really, really, really don't need to post that.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:27 pm

I thought you did well, JoshyBoy.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Return to Newsletter Archives