Conquer Club

CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:33 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Sorry for being rather blunt, cairns, but is this for real?

yeah!. why not? and i won't be offended ;) it's all about imagination and how you use it. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby brian fletcher on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:58 am

i appreciate the fact this is a mythical test match, but i wouldnt put the date in. for one thing the 1st test was in bristol, not lords. and whats the point when all you`ll get is us poms reminding you guys all the time how we gave you a sound thrashing that year at lords.... hahahaha
lots of spelling mistakes as usual cairnes but nothing that cant be corrected at a later time.
i take it that the -1 for holding a fielder and batsman is not escalating? what i mean is... should you happen to have a batsman at the crease and another in the balcony and you held 2 fielders, would you score -2? or even if you held 1 batsman and 2 fielders... would it be -1 for each fielder?
in the legend you say that its TEA. well 12th man wouldnt come out with drinks at tea. each session last 2 hours... start of play til lunch. lunch til tea, tea til close of play. drinks are brought onto the field after an hour of play has elapsed. sorry for being pedantic on that point but someone will bring it up.
coming along nicely
Lieutenant brian fletcher
SoC Training Adviser

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:28 am

brian fletcher wrote:...
lots of spelling mistakes as usual cairnes but nothing that cant be corrected at a later time.

please now, so that i don't cop it from everyone else... ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby brian fletcher on Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:59 am

you asked for it.... lol
Australia are challenging England.
in the legend on the right hand side youve put... feidling. should be fielding
on the balcony the wickety should just be WK
you must have corrected some since i last looked because thats all i can see...
the team on the balcony... can they not just be numbered 3 - 11? it seems a mess and serves no real purpose.
SoC Training Adviser

Postby reggie_mac on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:13 pm

We don't like cricket....

...oh no ....

We LOVE IT...

YEAH!!!!!
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:07 pm

To be completely honest, if this map had been posted by anybody other than you, I am convinced that it would have been ripped to shreds, or ignored to disappear into obscurity.

This is clearly at a stage where it is more than an idea, and belongs in the drafting room, even though I'd much rather you spent your spare time and talent offering support and feedback to others.

[moved]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:24 pm

MrBenn wrote:To be completely honest, if this map had been posted by anybody other than you, I am convinced that it would have been ripped to shreds, or ignored to disappear into obscurity.

This is clearly at a stage where it is more than an idea, and belongs in the drafting room, even though I'd much rather you spent your spare time and talent offering support and feedback to others.

[moved]

Thanks MrBenn :) obviously no sport maps have gotten thru the challenge of foundry.
This was done quickly and easily for a start and concept and will falter as usual if there is no interest "follow-thru".
Let's see what happens. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:26 pm

I have a feeling people will get behind this map because it'll open the floodgates for other sports maps!

Not sure if the idea is original or not, but the holding the "batter" and a "scoring play position" for a bonus and the "batter" and a "Defender" gives a negative is awesome and can transfer to other maps oncea ll the quirks get worked out.

Generic offense bonuses with offensive plays
Generic offense gets minuses with defenses
defense together can get bonuses (ignore offense, and if the offense tries to break the defense it penalizes them).
Stands, spectators, media, etc for additional bonuses/countries to make the map big enough.

I'm rooting for this map and hope it scores big!
Sergeant 1st Class Dexsting

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:25 pm

reggie_mac wrote:We don't like cricket....
...oh no ....
We LOVE IT...
YEAH!!!!!

reggie_mac...then get all those kiwis in that grandstand and fill it to the brim.
If this is successful, then maybe Rugby between NZ and the UK/OZ?

Dexsting wrote:I have a feeling people will get behind this map because it'll open the floodgates for other sports maps!
Not sure if the idea is original or not, but the holding the "batter" and a "scoring play position" for a bonus and the "batter" and a "Defender" gives a negative is awesome and can transfer to other maps oncea ll the quirks get worked out.
...I'm rooting for this map and hope it scores big!

Let's hope ti open a door 8-)
I don't know if the idea is original or not, but i think it quite apt for this gameplay and cricket.
If you're rooting for the map, then please ensure you fill the grandstands with supporters. :lol: :lol:

Generic offense bonuses with offensive plays
Generic offense gets minuses with defenses
defense together can get bonuses (ignore offense, and if the offense tries to break the defense it penalizes them).
Stands, spectators, media, etc for additional bonuses/countries to make the map big enough.

I'd be pleased to hear more on these above explained further towards the gameboard. :)

Current Version

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Postby Hopscotcher on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Please Excuse my Ignorance:

1. Why is it called Silly Mid-On. Is that a place?

2. What does the "Automatically Links to" mean in the right hand legend?

3. Is the Streaker.... Naked in Cricket? Like a crazed fan? or is that a position?

ttfn,
Hopper
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:19 pm

Hopscotcher wrote:Please Excuse my Ignorance:

Someone is not ignorant if they chose to learn Hopscotcher (in my eyes), thanks for asking. :)

1. Why is it called Silly Mid-On. Is that a place?

Silly mid-on is a field position in cricket. it is roughly just south of where the Batsman 2 name is.
If the map gets thru, it probably won't stick as the final title, but it is a bit of fun also.

2. What does the "Automatically Links to" mean in the right hand legend?

Means they can assault each other...perhaps needs rewording!

3. Is the Streaker.... Naked in Cricket? Like a crazed fan? or is that a position?
ttfn,
Hopper

Naked, yes. Crazed fan? Well yes and no, usually someone showing off to his mates/friends after a bit of alcohol induced bahaviour, and out for a laugh and someone with money or time to throw at the law. :lol:
Last edited by cairnswk on Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Private cairnswk

Postby Hopscotcher on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:27 am

Thanks Cairns!

I would think:

Keep the name, It's fun! This map looks like it could be a blast.

Change Automatically Links to: "can attack" or "is adjacent to"
fyi: I thought it meant they could attack each other, I just wasn't for certain

and as for the Streaker, Awesome! I'm usually that guy lol

I probably won't learn cricket by playing on this, but I'll try :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm a sucker for Assassin Games

My claim to fame..... Game 6311393
Lieutenant Hopscotcher

Postby brian fletcher on Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:57 am

the ashes is a 5 or sometimes 6 test series between australia and england. it is currently taking place at this precise moment. 1st test was drawn over the 5 days. 2nd test (at lords, which is where the map is represented). england won. 3rd test, on now, 2nd day, at edgebaston. so england are 1-0 up but as australia currently hold the ashes, england have to win them back. in other words, if the series is drawn then australia retain them.
there is a great sporting rivalry between aus and england, probably more so than any other 2 nations on earth. but the friendship and respect is immense, between supporters and competitors alike.
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Dexsting on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:00 pm

http://www.seattlecricket.com/history/crick.htm

This site and its links to the more advanced parts of cricket is pretty awesome...

I hate my new job's filter, I can't see the maps :( Oh well. Have to review at home.

As someone had a question about the streaker and making sure they know he's not a special fielder or something from the people who don't know cricket, maybe saying, "Streaker - a nude fan has run onto the field harrassing the bowler and being chased by the police"?

Also, is it police at these games for real, or are they actually security guards?

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:24 pm

Dexsting wrote:http://www.seattlecricket.com/history/crick.htm

This site and its links to the more advanced parts of cricket is pretty awesome...

I hate my new job's filter, I can't see the maps :( Oh well. Have to review at home.

As someone had a question about the streaker and making sure they know he's not a special fielder or something from the people who don't know cricket, maybe saying, "Streaker - a nude fan has run onto the field harrassing the bowler and being chased by the police"?

Also, is it police at these games for real, or are they actually security guards?

I'll have a look at all this later Dexsting...but i have never been to this cricket "home", so i can't say if it is a streaker, but there is a police office on the ground. So....maybe Brian Fletcher could answer this. I know i've seen police on TV coverage.
The streaker idea is good, but that is only part of what's going on, and i don't know if fitting all that into the top is possible. I'll see.
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:34 am

cairnswk wrote:
Dexsting wrote:http://www.seattlecricket.com/history/crick.htm

I'll have a look at all this later Dexsting...but i have never been to this cricket "home", so i can't say if it is a streaker, but there is a police office on the ground. So....maybe Brian Fletcher could answer this. I know i've seen police on TV coverage.
The streaker idea is good, but that is only part of what's going on, and i don't know if fitting all that into the top is possible. I'll see.

yeah, All that text might be too much, but if nothing else its an idea to get other ideas going :)

Postby Kalano Sanchin on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:16 am

It might not seem like much as I don't post in the foundry I just watch, but I will give my support to this in whatever way possible to get the map going even if it is just one post saying the smallest detail...
Sergeant 1st Class Kalano Sanchin

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:24 pm

Kalano Sanchin wrote:It might not seem like much as I don't post in the foundry I just watch, but I will give my support to this in whatever way possible to get the map going even if it is just one post saying the smallest detail...

Cheers Kalano, i hope there is more support out there also!!
Private cairnswk

Postby Dexsting on Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:34 pm

I still think the bonus for a 4-run doesn't need to include holding a fielder. It would make it too confusing that you'd have to include a specific fielder or any fielder. I do like that you have to go through a fielder to get the bonus of a net +1 (-1 batsman and fielder, +2 batsman and four). Then, if the fielder's try to get you out by attacking the fielder, then missing and being unable to take the battsman or the four you get a +2 (makes me think of a wild throw or something like that which gives the person holding the battsman an additional run.

Not sure if we're discussion neutrals yet, and unfortunately I can't see the map at work (for some reason the images in the forum are blocked, but I can see in play game maps...hrm...). But I think the battsman, fours, & sixes should all start neutral, and maybe escalating neutrals from batsman to four to sixes. Don't know if battsman 2, fours be 4, and sixes be 6 neutrals would work for gameplay, but I imagine I think they would and also end up being good numbers to fit the story of the map too.

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:07 pm

Dexsting wrote:I still think the bonus for a 4-run doesn't need to include holding a fielder. It would make it too confusing that you'd have to include a specific fielder or any fielder. I do like that you have to go through a fielder to get the bonus of a net +1 (-1 batsman and fielder, +2 batsman and four). Then, if the fielder's try to get you out by attacking the fielder, then missing and being unable to take the battsman or the four you get a +2 (makes me think of a wild throw or something like that which gives the person holding the battsman an additional run.

Well, let's see if others have something to say on this one.

Not sure if we're discussion neutrals yet...But I think the battsman, fours, & sixes should all start neutral, and maybe escalating neutrals from batsman to four to sixes. Don't know if battsman 2, fours be 4, and sixes be 6 neutrals would work for gameplay, but I imagine I think they would and also end up being good numbers to fit the story of the map too.

Can you expand on your idea for escalating neutrals from batsman to four to sixes. :) What number do you suggest?
Private cairnswk

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V2

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Version 2.
I've simply changed the layout of the legend so that it is clearer what is required (through use of dotted line as per map) for the batsmen and runs on the field.

Click image to enlarge.
Private cairnswk

Re: CRICKET: SILLY MID-ON V2(p4) - Four Run discussion?

Postby Dexsting on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:35 am

So take this with a grain of salt as its almost 2AM and the Brewrs won tonight! w00t...

I was thinking 2 nuetrals for the two battsman, 4 neutrals for the fours, 2 neutral for the 1 runs, and 6 neutrals for the 6s.

And anyone else going to back me up on the not needing fielder for the +2 with battsman/fielder/four? I really really really really thing the fielder is not necessary for the bonus; but will reiterate, that the layout is perfect for it by getting through the fielder :)

Also, I'm sure by the time this gets a few more drafts it'll happen, but hte current bounes seem pretty smushed up int he legend.

Postby sinctheassasin on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:07 am

It looks like a good map. My suggestion is to make the different styles of territs more distinguishable than they are now. I feel that I should look at the legend, and immediatly be able to see al of the continents easily. Shapes and symbols on the map would help fir this too. 8-)
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

Postby brian fletcher on Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm

i said this in an earlier post cairnes but wouldnt it be clearer if we simply named the batsmen on the balcony bat 3, bat 4 etc?
the public 1to 11.... are 5 and 6 connectable? maybe a walkway could connect them.
england are challenging australia, not is.
feidling should be fielding
12th man wouldnt bring drinks onto the field of play during tea.
union jack (flag) and australian flag would be better seeing as they are the 2 teams.
what about a link from the police room to the police?
SoC Training Adviser

Postby sinctheassasin on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:00 pm

brian fletcher wrote:
england are challenging australia, not is.

I don't know where you learned your English :shock:
it's definatly is. Are is used if the first noun is plural...
ex: the English are challenging austrailia
The British are coming
NOT: a kangaroo are jumping the fence
still, if you are going to correct somebody, know what you are talking about :shock:
Woop Woop, i love conquer club, why'd i leave for a year?
Who LIkes finishing what they started? :D
Corporal sinctheassasin

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas