Conquer Club

Issue 84 [04/08/09]

Old issues and old threads regarding various newsletter things.

Moderator: Community Team

Issue 84 [04/08/09]

Postby sailorseal on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:33 pm

04/08/09

Hello tournament players and fans.
Welcome to my first issue as Editor. We say a sad goodbye to Gozar, hopefully he will stick around but we say hello to a new chapter of the newsletter. We start by bringing aboard tlane and colton24 as two new staff members and a new section, Question of the Week.

Thanks, and enjoy!
sailorseal

Image Fact of the Week
ImageNewsletter Poll
ImageNews Hound
ImageCurrently Taking Signups
ImageTournament Updates
ImageQuestion of the Week
ImageComing Soon
ImageThe Tournament Roll of Honor[/size]
ImageInterview with Gozar
ImageNext Issue
ImageNotes
ImageStaff

This is sailorseal's first issue as newsletter Editor*

*tlane note: This is intended as a joke

"Would you like to see more 'Official' tournaments?
Yes: 52 votes and 92%
No: 2 votes and 8%
Poll thread

A new poll is running, vote and discuss here

Unfortunately our News Hound was busy this week, stay tuned next edition for the return of our hound

If you would like to see your tournament included here, please PM colton24 or visit this thread.

Here are how some of the currently ongoing tournaments are progressing. Just click the title to visit the thread. Want your tournament listed here? Use the form at the end of this letter, and PM it to colton24 or post it in this thread.

Tournament Name: Isle Cruise using a 7x7 windmill setup
Organiser Name: PaulusH
While there are still 3 groups active at the British isles the first group already left Iceland.
Planned end date: 6 September

Tournament Name: Bring Your Own Recipe (BYOR) Dinner Date using a 5x5 windmill setup
Everybody started with the main dish
Planned end date: 19 October

Tournament Name: Double Iron Bar using a 3x3 windmill setup
Some people ended under the table by the Sake
Planned end date: 21 August

Tournament Name: K3-Factor using a 6x6 windmill setup
Busy with getting the first song starting.
Planned end date: 5 February

North American CC Championship
Organiser Name: Colton24
1 game finished in seed week 1 still awaiting results of the second game
Planned end date: September 10

Each issue there will be a question posted here, the first person to get the posted question correct will have their name displayed with GLORY in the next issue.
To submit an answer PM sailorseal

Question:
"Who founded the Tournament Newsletter"

The answer to this week's question ;)

Here are some recent tournament winners.

"Complete Control - 1v1 - USA" Winner: Miandw
"Maximus-Tourney#2~1v1 Double Elimination" Winner: DBandit70
"Conquering the Alphabet- A series" Winner: dshedd
"ES-C-RAZY-ALATORS IV" Winner: cowboyz
"Lany's Random Singles Bracket Tourny" Winner:the.killing.44
"Championship Series: Wales" Winner: Witt13
"darkangelsguy205 AoR 2 Tournament" Winner: bazmac
"Championship Series: World 2.1" Winner: AAFitz
"Psycho B's AOR1" Winner: Darin44
"Oceanic Doubles" Winners: abel and Quack
"Twiztid's Terminator: All Stars" Winner: GreenBaize
"HA's Round Robin Series-Classic Shapes-TWO" Winner: b00060
"Lx 4x4 Midgard" Winner: FrancisBoyle
"JR's 1 vs 1 Challenge X" Winner: demy7
"Round Robin Europe 1" Winner: komo
"13" Winner: pimphawks70
"Around All CC's Maps: Cairns Metro" Winners: andreslh, Phil Gates, kingkoswyn, Iccinot Nabrus
"Premium+Freemium Classic Doubles" Winners: David Hoekstra & Lindax
"Championship Series: Castle Lands" Winner: Bones2484
"The Conquest League" Winner: wcaclimbing
"Formula 1 2009 - Turkish GP" Winner: shoop76
"WorldFitz DELUXE Tourney I" Winners: 300spartans & gannable & ironwood & meanestbossever
"b00060's Classic Shapes Tournament XI" Winner: topper
"Hitman: Asia" Winner: bigdaddyslim2
"No Sun, Just Fog" Winner: scottp
"Kyle's Classic 1vs1 Tournament" Winner: Cubs24
"Tournoi Francophone de la St-Jean" Winner: Gilles#1
"Trippin Out In Hong Kong" Winners:Drew483, ga7, banana_hammocks
"Champion of Doodle Earth" Winner: AndrewB
"Charleston Doubles Tournament" Winners: Blitzaholic and Dividedbyzero
"U.S.A vs. U.S.S.R." Winner: harvmax
"Many Lands Tournament" Winner: keiths31
"The Random Map Duel 2" Winner: Gilligan
"Fantastic Four: First Battles" Winner: cpurcell
"Round Robin Europe 2" Winner: HighlanderAttack
"C.W.S!" Winner: Frozen_flame
"Wimbledon - Open Doubles" Winners: Laddida & Bruceswar
"America: Past, Present, Future" Winner: b00060
"Championship Series: Waterloo" Winner: AndrewB
"Deadly Vipers Inc." Winner: KidWhisky
"My Map Is Better Than Yours Doubles" Winners: NoobX2000 & White Moose

This week we had the opportunity to interview Gozar, our former Tournament Newsletter Editor. All questions were submitted by readers of the newsletter.

Now, on with the interview!

Q:Hello Gozar.

A:Hi newsletter readers!

Q:After taking the Tournament Newsletter to a whole new level. What made you retire after more than a year in the job?

A:A year is a long time! I had a lot of fun working on the newsletter, but I was recently promoted at work, and was faced with a lot less time to devote for the newsletter. So, I felt it was time to pass it on to someone who could put in the time that the newsletter needs and deserves.

Q:Why would you create such a great newsletter, and then let it all go to waste when it comes under new management, and how long do you think it'll be before sailorseal destroys the entire reading base you have built up over the past year?

A:I am glad to see this question for two reasons. First, I am glad that sailorseal took my advice and is going to continue the tournament newsletter tradition of asking all questions that get asked.
Second, this question gives me a chance to address the disturbing responses some people have given me on hearing of my retirement. I have had a good friend berate me, someone compare it to Nazi Germany of all things and a few people boldly announcing that they would never read again. I think it is really sad that so many people have written the chapter on sailorseal's career as editor before his first issue comes out.
My response to all this is that the newsletter will only ever be as good as the people who contribute to it. The newsletter editor can only compile the work that readers submit, so if you find yourself unhappy with the quality of the newsletter, you can always do something about it. The tournament newsletter has never turned down a contributor.

Q: What was your best memory about writing the Newsletter?

A:My best memories are of anytime someone took a moment to write a short message saying they enjoyed the newsletter, or how they really like such an article. Those moments made it all worth while.

Q:Are you planning on retiring from CC? You have dropped your premium, are running only one tournament and have now stepped down as editor. Are you suffering from CC burnout?

A:No, not at all. I still have fun playing games, frequenting the forums and running and joining tournaments. It looks like CC is stuck with me for now.

Q: is the reason of you stepping down and only running one tourney because of a tragedy?

A:Thankfully no tragedies! I have never really ran many tournaments at once, usually only two at most, although there may have been moments when I was doing three back when 'The Long Walk' was still running.

Q: How come you received the special contribution medal for helping make this site better , but failed to receive a free premium membership. ?

A:I don't really have an answer for this. My work was volunteer, so if they paid me people might do it for the wrong reasons? Maybe?

Q: Who do you think is hotter - Julia Roberts or Monica Potter? I prefer Monica Potter, as she doesn't have a Leviathan mouth. A lot of people say they look like sisters - I think those people are in need of new prescription glasses. Do you think those people need new prescription glasses?

A:Well, not knowing who this Monica Potter is, I will say she is hotter because I am in agreement about that mouth. I just do not see the appeal.
*goes to Google*
Well I do not think those people need new glasses. I can kind of see it.

Q: Why does your avatar depict a viking in a sauna wearing ski goggles?

A:I guess because I look like a viking. And the kitchen looks like a sauna. And I am a funny guy.
Yes, that is me.

Q:Do you still play in a band occasionally or have you let the music world go on without you and your precious gifts of late.

A:No, the band has not played together in quite some time. I still make music a part of each day though.

Q: What is your favorite tournament, either played in, run, or just noticed, to date?

A:I really enjoy tournaments on a grand scale. yorkiepeter ran a World Championship tournament once that was quite ambitious. CCC Masters was a great tournament because of the scale. I am having a lot of fun running my Legend of Tor Na'Mit tournament because is a little more involved that just straight games.

Q:What is your preference with tournaments - Larger but simple, or smaller but more complicated?

A:I think both are great options.

Q:Which of the interviews you've conducted has been your most memorable?

A:There were too many great ones to just pick one. Most with moderators, tournament directors and the like were quite good. Any interview without just yes or no answers.

Q:What is the best question you've ever seen asked, and what would your answer to it be?

A:I would have liked to see most of the questions from the lackattack interview get answered. That was my biggest disappointment of my time as editor. Not being him, I do not know what the answers would be.

Q:Can you give us a brief description of the daily life in your old job, Tournament Newsletter Editor

A:It was pretty straightforward. Keep an eye on the newsletter threads to see if any posts are made. Make sure any PMs get forwarded to the appropriate staff member. Brainstorm ideas with the News Hounds. As news day got closer I simply began editing all the submissions together.

Q:How did you find this website?

A:A friend pointed me here, as he knew I enjoyed a game of RISK.

Q: Why did you join CC?

A:I like to play RISK, and it is sometimes hard to find enough people to play a game.

Q:Whats your motivation (or why do you like) to play on CC?

A:Games at first, now tournaments and the clan.

Q:Why did you start to play tournaments?

A:I find that tournaments add an extra element of challenge, a series of games with a defined start and finish, and a goal. I can get into tournaments much more than an endless reel of open games.

Q:What made you want to start running tournaments?

A:Back when I first got into tournaments, there were not a lot to choose from, and a lot of them did not finish. I started running them so that there would be complete tournaments that I wanted to play in.

Q: How long have you been organizing tournaments?

A:May 2007.

Q:Thanks Gozar

A:My pleasure.

The results of our current poll

Notes

If you want your tournament included in a future issue, please PM colton24 using this form or visit this thread!:

----------------FORM-------------------
Status of tournament
Tournament Name(with link please)
Organiser: [Your name with 'player' tag]
Brief Description
(If recruiting) Approx. number of players needed
(If Ongoing) Approx. number of games remaining/percentage complete
---------------FORM---------------------

You can also write articles to submit for publishing, I can't keep this running by myself, I need YOUR help!

To subscribe/ unsubscribe for the tournament newsletter, visit this thread.
-
-
-

Staff
Editor in chief- sailorseal
Graphics- Sir. Ricco/samuelc812
News Hound-JoshyBoy
Ask the Nutts- David Hoekstra
Fact of the Week-tlane
Currently Taking Signups-colton24
Contributors- People like you!
Cook sailorseal

Re: Issue 84 [04/08/09

Postby colton24 on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:39 pm

how did i do with my updates?
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Re: Issue 84 [04/08/09]

Postby Gozar on Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Well played, Mr. seal
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby sailorseal on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:37 pm

Gozar wrote:Well played, Mr. seal

Thanks so much
Cook sailorseal

Postby Woodruff on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:29 am

You did well, sailorseal. And to Gozar...

Gozar wrote:Second, this question gives me a chance to address the disturbing responses some people have given me on hearing of my retirement. I have had a good friend berate me, someone compare it to Nazi Germany of all things and a few people boldly announcing that they would never read again. I think it is really sad that so many people have written the chapter on sailorseal's career as editor before his first issue comes out.

Superb answer!
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby whitestazn88 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:30 am

firstly, saxitoxin sends his regards via twitter. he said it wasn't bad

secondly, why did we let his multi, colton, have a segment in this?

thirdly, i was surprised about the quality of writing, especially from colton.

fouthly, if tlane's fact of the week is supposed to be a joke, then who really is the editor?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby colton24 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 am

ive been ckeared of a multi and its not that hard to do that
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:28 am

whitestazn88 wrote:fouthly, if tlane's fact of the week is supposed to be a joke, then who really is the editor?

/me doesn't get it either.

P.S. wp sailor (though you left a stray [/size] in the contents ;) )
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Rocketry on Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Congrats Sailorboy. Even Hermann Goering would be proud.

Rocket.
Lieutenant Rocketry

Postby musteriuz on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm

Nice job first up, mr ss (oops, now I'm going Nazi too). I'm just sad that the "Currently taking signups" bit was empty :( , but I know that you needed contributions to fill it. Good luck in future, Gozar and Sailorseal.

PS: Congrats on the promotion at work, G.
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Return to Newsletter Archives