Conquer Club

[22-May-2006] Grievances and RSS

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Grievances and an RSS feed

Postby lackattack on Mon May 22, 2006 12:13 am

Goodbye Ignore List, hello Grievances!

Rule #2 (no secret alliances) isn't easy to enforce as too often there is suspicion but the evidence is not clear. I wanted a democratic solution that will do something useful in grey situations. That solution is called Grievances, inspired by eBay Feedback and valuable input from the Conquer Club community. Grievances are not limited to secret alliances, and hopefully they will encourage fair play of all sorts and not be abused.

The IgnoreList is gone. Grievances have the same ignore effect and only let you ignore people with cause and if you've played against them, which I think is good.

The other major improvement that just went live is the personalized RSS feed. This technology is really simple to use and will make it easier for people to keep track of their turns without having to visit the website. You can even read your feed from a portable device!

I'd also like to thank kevinc for contributing a forum stylesheet that is colour-coordinated with the rest of the website and congratulate AndyDufresne, the new Foundry Foreman.
Sergeant lackattack

grievances = 1st post

Postby zarvinny on Mon May 22, 2006 12:49 am

cool
Lieutenant zarvinny

Re: Grievances and RSS

Postby Jota on Mon May 22, 2006 12:58 am

lackattack wrote:Grievances [...] only let you ignore people with cause and if you've played against them, which I think is good.

Hmm. The only people on my Ignore list were ones who had posted abusive or trolling messages on the forum. I don't think I had actually played against any of them. Does this mean I was misusing the feature?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Missed turns

Postby beelzebub on Mon May 22, 2006 1:02 am

I've been trying to play games that are more real-time by using the Freestyle option.

But inevitably, somebody signs up to the game who then misses one or more turns. So instead of a fast-paced game, it's a game that drags on for days and days as we have to keep waiting 24 hours to continue.

I was going to start putting these people on my ignore list. It's not exactly a grievance -- they're not plotting evilly, and, who knows, maybe they're visiting ill relatives -- but I don't want to play with them any more.

What do people think? Are multiple missed turns with no explanation worth a grievance?
Sergeant 1st Class beelzebub

Postby GreenfireStorm on Mon May 22, 2006 1:05 am

I like the idea and conept of the new updates. I can't wait to get the RSS rolling, and the clickable names are a bonus.
30 second update
You are a king among men. The RSS feed is implemented better than I could've imagined. My hat off to you.

I do have to say Lack, you've been doing a steller job of improving and maintaining CC, and I have never regreted paying for it.

The only nitpick I'd add would be to not show the # of greivences if it is 0, not sure how hard it would be to implement.
Corporal 1st Class GreenfireStorm

Postby Marvaddin on Mon May 22, 2006 1:16 am

I really would like much more have the ignore list back. Now, I need to play against any type of players, or have a really good and public reason to do it, instead of use my own decisions. Some guys we could add to list because of lost turns (as Belzbub said), others due to excessive trash talking, or even low score (yeah, all those 30 or sort of guys with less than 700 points were in my list, because I would really dislike the idea of bet 60+ points for maybe gain 6 or 7 points). Now, cant choose who I will play with... I NEED accept all... argh!!

I love the site, but this time I really disagree you, lack. I believe that would be good if you could block all people you dislike. I agree with a reference system, but not with the part you need play against notorious bad players to can avoid them. So, a player has a grievance against, but I cant block him, and I will not stay here to see if one of these guys will join my game... what the real value of this system? I would not send money if it was in e-bay, but and here?

Please, pleeeeeeease... give us ignore list back.
Major Marvaddin

Postby terrafutan on Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 am

I would also like my ignore list back. There are plenty of people who I don't want to play, now I have to play them all again to get them on my list.

Couldn't you just have imported our ignore lists into the greivance list.
Corporal 1st Class terrafutan

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 am

I dont really understand the RSS Feed thing. What does it do and can someone give some specific instructions on how to get it to work? I'm clueless.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby johnnyrotten on Mon May 22, 2006 2:15 am

Could the direct link to a person's profile be removed from the My Games page? It seemed easier to read when they weren't blue...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Postby General Mayhem on Mon May 22, 2006 2:28 am

Yep I agree. I want the link though. Those Bright blue underlined names are horrible in gameplay and on gamelist!

PLEASE get rid of the blue underlined names!
"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND."
Colonel General Mayhem

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 2:32 am

you can change your internet options so the color of links look differently
Sergeant Hoff

Postby General Mayhem on Mon May 22, 2006 3:04 am

not in Mac Firefox you cant. and it doesnt do that for other sites pages anyway. it should be changed at source.
"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND."
Colonel General Mayhem

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 3:13 am

http://www.conquerclub.com still shows that message that CC is under maintence. Does that happen for anyone else? but conquerclub.com/forum works fine and i can get to the rest of the site through that way. Is there a reason for this? Anyone else notice that too?
Sergeant Hoff

Postby eye84free on Mon May 22, 2006 3:16 am

Hoff wrote:www.conquerclub.com still shows that message that CC is under maintence. Does that happen for anyone else? but conquerclub.com/forum works fine and i can get to the rest of the site through that way. Is there a reason for this? Anyone else notice that too?

i dont see it...it was that way for me earl. but its all good now..
Major eye84free

Postby qeee1 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:00 am

I didn't have anyone on my ignore list... so not that much of a loss to me. Will be interested to see how the new system works, but seems kinda pointless to know if someone has poor sportsmanship from grievances and then not be able to ignore them.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby Black Jack on Mon May 22, 2006 4:16 am

The removal of the Ignore List... sucks.

I used it for forum trolls and deadbeats.

It's looking like it is time to move on.

You took the one feature that seperated CC from the other Risk clones... and shit-canned it.
Cadet Black Jack

Postby Nobunaga on Mon May 22, 2006 4:39 am

... I liked the ignore list, but I can work with this.

... You've my support on this one, Lack. Keep up the outstanding work! :!:
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Nobunaga on Mon May 22, 2006 4:53 am

... I plan on just entering something like "From My Ignore List", as the body of the message, as I saved them all in a txt file, should be easy.

... A lot of my ignores were multis busted and outed in the forums, so I can't say much more.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby PaperPlunger on Mon May 22, 2006 5:30 am

coolest thing ever!
Private PaperPlunger

Postby Aladriel on Mon May 22, 2006 5:31 am

I liked my ignore list. There were people on there that I just didn't get along with personality-wise. We won the game, but I didn't appreciate him telling me what to do (he was my partner in a team game). I don't think that's something that belongs on the "e-bay style" rating system. Is there a possiblity that both systems could be instituted? I want to be able to choose who I don't play against.

Or is this just a way to force us into premium? Not that I would blame you, Lack, if it was... but.. ya know...
Private Aladriel

Postby Patroclus on Mon May 22, 2006 5:35 am

I had used my Ignore list for known Multis that had played against me. I really didn't care if they were WARNED and then allowed to continue playing with ONE account. I have no respect for cheaters and do not want to play them.

I also had the intention of adding anyone to my list that misused, in my opinion, that double your armies for a turn you missed because most likely you had your thumb up your ass and thought it a cool move.

As a "For Instance", in one of my games (#22170), TOISGREAT missed 3 turns in a row and was ejected. Another player, nathan, has missed 3 turns, strategically placed so he/she still remains in the game and has been enabled the double armies for being a waste of my time. I would like the option of never having to play them again. I joined this site to relax and have fun, not to be aggrivated and have my time wasted. I'd rather not play these idiots again.

Sure, I would like to have the Ignore List back.

What exactly does this new setup do and how does it work? I'm leery to install any new crap on my computer that I don't know.

On a good note, congrats to the members that have acquired new responsibilities and are willing to spend their time in the what they feel to be the best interests of all.

And, thanks again, Lack, for the site.
Last edited by Patroclus on Mon May 22, 2006 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The ground was rushing up at me. It had been one heck of a ride. And suddenly I wondered………

Who packed my parachute?
Lieutenant Patroclus

Postby Derwiddle on Mon May 22, 2006 6:24 am

-Ok, making the names into links on the Games Menu is great. Thankyou very much for that - but yes, the blue and underlining is a bit distracting. If you could just change those to just plain black as before, but still keeping them as links, that would be perfect.

-The RSS Feed is brilliant! Saves me a ton of time sitting there refreshing my games. Helps a lot, thanks. :)

-As for the Grievances... Not sure yet, but this could be a good thing or not.
I don't know much about how it works, so no opinions as of yet...
Opportune-Moment
op·por·tune mo·ment
n.
A point in time well suited for doing something incredibly stupid.
Private 1st Class Derwiddle

Postby wicked on Mon May 22, 2006 7:34 am

So I remember some people who were on my ignore list, but not all. Would've been nice to have some warning so I could've jotted those names down. Not so much for grievances, but so I'd know never to play them again! :roll:

Thanks for the grievance feature though.

Agree to get rid of the colored links and underlines - that page is WAY too busy to actually decipher anything useful now.

Yes, it's a grumpy Monday morning. :wink:
Last edited by wicked on Mon May 22, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major wicked

Postby MrConfigT on Mon May 22, 2006 7:51 am

For the RSS feature, try using

http://inforss.mozdev.org/

infoRSS if you're into the firefox flavor of browsers. It will scroll in the bottom right corner

Its pretty cool so far
Corporal 1st Class MrConfigT

Postby tanar on Mon May 22, 2006 8:06 am

Although I did not have anyone in my ignore list yet, I feel it was good to have it there, for "backup". Grievances on the other hand... just requires too much thinking/writing/reasoning etc.
Also, why I ignore someone is a private matter, and it doesn't mean that I wish everybody else know about it, or ignore him/her.

Is there any way we could get ignore list back?

Alsong with grievances, could we also have a way to give public positive feedback to people whose play style / forum behaviour /etc we like / respect / whatever ??
Captain tanar

Next

Return to Announcement Archives