Conquer Club

Poison Rome [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Poison Rome [Beta] Neutral Start Adjustments

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:33 pm

Jackets55 wrote:In my experience (limited as it may be), this a piss pour map. Now, I know someone worked hard developing it, but how about at least identifying the bonus amounts somewhere. What a crap shoot. Not worth the effort to play since it comes down to the drop.

Jackets55. Thanks for dropping in for comment and your opinion.
My opinion is that you haven't read the legend and applied that to the map ;) Sorry.
Each bonus is clearly identified on the map itself.
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Incandenza on Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:05 am

Seems like we've gotten to the point where this can graduate from Beta. 1v1 starting terits issue is fixed, 2-terit bonuses are fixed, and there don't seem to be any additional major complaints.
THOTA: dingdingdingdingdingdingBOOM

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Colonel Incandenza

Postby AndrewB on Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:46 am

Indeed, one of the best maps around. All neutrals seemed to be balanced.

Great job, cairns!

Ready for the live for sure!
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby khazalid on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:03 pm

yep, it seems ready to me too
had i been wise, i would have seen that her simplicity cost her a fortune
Lieutenant khazalid

Postby MrBenn on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:44 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Poison Rome Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations cairnswk, your shiny new medal is well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Aw, man, I realize this comment is a bit too late for the party, but I am disappointed that of all gods this map doesn't feature Venus. Venus was considered to be the mother of the Roman people (via Aeneas), and the Julians in particular liked to flaunt their descent from her. Julius Caesar even dedicated a big temple to Venus Genetrix. Man!

Well, notwithstanding the lack of Venereal presence, congrats on a crazy awesome map. :!:.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:42 pm

One of the best maps on the site, this has taklen over from Waterloo for me as a personal favourite. Everything about it is great cairns, excellent job mate
Captain e_i_pi

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Aw, man, I realize this comment is a bit too late for the party, but I am disappointed that of all gods this map doesn't feature Venus. Venus was considered to be the mother of the Roman people (via Aeneas), and the Julians in particular liked to flaunt their descent from her. Julius Caesar even dedicated a big temple to Venus Genetrix. Man!

Appreciate the post EDM, but the Gods were chosen purely on a 4-5 letter fit, and Aphrodite was simply too long.

Well, notwithstanding the lack of Venereal presence, congrats on a crazy awesome map. :!:.

e_i_pi wrote:One of the best maps on the site, this has taklen over from Waterloo for me as a personal favourite. Everything about it is great cairns, excellent job mate

Thanks guys. Nice to have a map appreciated when you can think "outside the square/box". :)
Don't forget to look in on Cricket. It'll have some excellent gameplay also i beleive. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:Aw, man, I realize this comment is a bit too late for the party, but I am disappointed that of all gods this map doesn't feature Venus. Venus was considered to be the mother of the Roman people (via Aeneas), and the Julians in particular liked to flaunt their descent from her. Julius Caesar even dedicated a big temple to Venus Genetrix. Man!

Appreciate the post EDM, but the Gods were chosen purely on a 4-5 letter fit, and Aphrodite was simply too long.

Aphrodite is Greek. VENUS is Roman. ;)
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby cairnswk on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

oh shit. i didn't read my reference properly.
You're correct. I;m wrong.
let's see, what other excuse can i make.....apart from that what got on the map. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:12 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Evil DIMwit wrote:
cairnswk wrote:

oh shit. i didn't read my reference properly.
You're correct. I;m wrong.
let's see, what other excuse can i make.....apart from that what got on the map. :)

Yeah, well, sad days for classcists but I guess the rest of us will manage.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby lgoasklucyl on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:26 pm

This map defines the word intense when played foggy.

Very, very well done Cairns (as always ;)).

I'm just getting my first game in on it now, have only played two turns, and am sure this is likely to become a new favorite.
Sergeant 1st Class lgoasklucyl

Postby istanbul39 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:
Jackets55 wrote:In my experience (limited as it may be), this a piss pour map. Now, I know someone worked hard developing it, but how about at least identifying the bonus amounts somewhere. What a crap shoot. Not worth the effort to play since it comes down to the drop.

Jackets55. Thanks for dropping in for comment and your opinion.
My opinion is that you haven't read the legend and applied that to the map ;) Sorry.
Each bonus is clearly identified on the map itself.

I have played this map maybe 10 times or so. I do like the map, but I agree that the bonuses could be clearer. There are connectors that look like they should be bonus but they are not. I think a simple color code for connecting husband and wife and family could make it a little more understandable. Very cool map no matter what though.

"Peace at Home, Peace in the World"
Corporal 1st Class istanbul39

Postby SuperGoogleman on Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:03 am

Finnally out of beta Wooo :)
Good map
Sergeant SuperGoogleman

Postby Jippd on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:27 pm

First time playing this map on a random select.

How is this map outta beta the bonus amounts are TERRIBLY described and I have know idea what they are. I am holding two family bonus' right now in a game I'm playing and don't know what they are. Not only that but at least the 'family bonus' amount should be listed.

How did something like this that is so important and basic to EVERY map, especially a terribly confusing map like this one slip past?

I suggest this be fixed if it is possible.

Also why are bombard points different colors yellow bombarding to green for example. Same color bombard routes should be used and just instead interchange the object. IE a vial and a star or a vile and a sword or a vial and a shield whatever but its confusing to look for yellow vials then look back and see yellow bombards what color? Or another option change one of the vial sets to a different object two sets of vials four different colors is too much.
Major Jippd

Postby cairnswk on Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:12 pm

Jippd wrote:First time playing this map on a random select.

How is this map outta beta the bonus amounts are TERRIBLY described and I have know idea what they are. I am holding two family bonus' right now in a game I'm playing and don't know what they are. Not only that but at least the 'family bonus' amount should be listed.

How did something like this that is so important and basic to EVERY map, especially a terribly confusing map like this one slip past?

I suggest this be fixed if it is possible.

Jippd, I'm sorry you're having trouble with this one, but You know it constantly amazes me that some people just don't bother to read legends and then are unable to put two and two together to make four. :)

Also why are bombard points different colors yellow bombarding to green for example. Same color bombard routes should be used and just instead interchange the object. IE a vial and a star or a vile and a sword or a vial and a shield whatever but its confusing to look for yellow vials then look back and see yellow bombards what color? Or another option change one of the vial sets to a different object two sets of vials four different colors is too much.

Yes, i guess it would be for some.

You will find Jippd, that one of the challenges of playing my maps is that they require some degree of intepretation so people can learn that everything in life is not "black and white" as much as we would all like it to be.
Also, since all map development is open to everyone who is a member of this site, if you have an opinion on what should
be placed on maps, then you should make an attempt to attend maps when they are in development. ;)
And this btw is pretty much a standard response after any map of mine goes Live.
Private cairnswk

Postby brian fletcher on Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:29 pm

i absolutely love this map. just won a 4 player terminator game and my last spoils bonus was 250, so proves that its not a simple map to play... more for the strategist id say.
it does take a while to understand where all the different routes are and where to deploy, especially when using chained reinforcements.
once again. congratulations on getting out of beta.
well done in the one dayers too =D>
Lieutenant brian fletcher
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Poison Rome [Quenched]

Postby laughingcavalier on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Wondering: is there an html error?
Livia Drusilla could not attack Gaius Octavius but did attack Gaius Ceasar and territories around there; Gaius Oct attacked Emp Augustus but not Livia Drusilla.
Forgive me if I have made a mistake or if you have covered this 100 times...
Just played my first game - great map thanks.
Major laughingcavalier

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:10 pm

Gaius Octavius is the father of emperor Augustus. The parents only connect to their children, not the childrens' wifes or husbands.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Against my better judgement I got sucked into playing this map for the first time recently. Despite my distaste for the visual complexity, I was surprised to find myself enjoying the game (perhaps sweetened by victory?) :-$
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby cairnswk on Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 am

MrBenn wrote:Against my better judgement I got sucked into playing this map for the first time recently. Despite my distaste for the visual complexity, I was surprised to find myself enjoying the game (perhaps sweetened by victory?) :-$

Yes that does help a great deal. Pleased you had a win MrBenn. :)
It's not that hard really.
Private cairnswk

Postby Funkyterrance on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:01 am

I am obsessed with this map. The Julio-Claudian family as well as the history involved has always fascinated me and this map reminds me of all these things every time I play. Thank you, Cairnswk for creating this masterpiece. It is pure genius.

Funkyterrance
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:05 am

Should Julia the Elder be able to attack Emperor Augustus??

:D
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:31 am

DJ Teflon wrote:Should Julia the Elder be able to attack Emperor Augustus??

:D

Yes, and from the xml I have, she can
Private cairnswk

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:21 pm

Sorry - I was being thick there - for some reason I thought she shouldnt be able to and it was an error she could - so its all good

;)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas