Conquer Club

Feudal War [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Feudal War [Quenched]

Postby Rakio on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:09 pm

Great map.
Thanks.
Cadet Rakio

Postby PepeAtila on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:25 am

Great map, I like it very much.

Just I don't know if it is a programming error to get a bonus card just when you anhilate one country and you don't conquer it.
Lieutenant PepeAtila

Postby The Neon Peon on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:38 am

PepeAtila wrote:Great map, I like it very much.

Just I don't know if it is a programming error to get a bonus card just when you anhilate one country and you don't conquer it.

http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions6

Read through that and let's use some logic.

Successful assaults give you cards. Bombardment is a type of assault. I don't see where the issue is.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Grifter on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:48 am

I discovered what I think is a bug while playing Game 5652494. This has fog of war. I had Realm of Might castle and subsequently conquered territory 4 in round 1. Territories 2 and 3 were still neutral. The bug is that I was able to see the neutral armies on territory 1 even though I could not attack it.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:53 am

Grifter wrote:I discovered what I think is a bug while playing Game 5652494. This has fog of war. I had Realm of Might castle and subsequently conquered territory 4 in round 1. Territories 2 and 3 were still neutral. The bug is that I was able to see the neutral armies on territory 1 even though I could not attack it.

It is not a bug. You can bombard territory one from your castle. FoW allows you to see any territory you can attack, so you actually COULD attack it, if you had men on your castle.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby Grifter on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:19 pm

My mistake. Thanks for the explanation.
Lieutenant Grifter

Postby TheForgivenOne on Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:12 am

not really sure if this is a bug or not... Might have just been my computer

I was playing on the map, and i owned the Realm of Might Castle, along with Realm of Might 3, 5. I went to attack Realm of Might 7, from 5, and it gave me 2 options to attack Realm of Might 7. For example, Assault from : Realm of Might 5, Assault : Realm of Might 6, Realm of Might 7, Realm of Might 7. I don't have a screenshot of it. I exited the game, and re-entered, and still got the same problem. Don't think it will help, but Game 5715609 thats the game number. As i said, this might be a bug, or just my compy being stupid.

Thanks for your time,

TFO
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 am

SuicidalSnowman wrote:
Grifter wrote:I discovered what I think is a bug while playing Game 5652494. This has fog of war. I had Realm of Might castle and subsequently conquered territory 4 in round 1. Territories 2 and 3 were still neutral. The bug is that I was able to see the neutral armies on territory 1 even though I could not attack it.

It is not a bug. You can bombard territory one [and 7] from your castle. FoW allows you to see any territory you can attack, so you actually COULD attack it, if you had men on your castle.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

feudal war starting positions

Postby id3o on Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:08 am

my apologies if this is the wrong place to be posting this.

re the map below:
feudal war is a great map, but to me the starting positions shown have given yellow a huge advantage, and compromised green severely. surely with four players, starting at the corners would be more balanced? or am i alone in this?

Click image to enlarge.
Private id3o

Re: feudal war starting positions

Postby natty dread on Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:23 am

surely with four players, starting at the corners would be more balanced? or am i alone in this?

There's no way to do this with current XML. The starting positions will always be randomly distributed.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby yeti_c on Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Would also make it really boring for a fog game.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby id3o on Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:54 am

true, but in a fog game it wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a disadvantage ..
Private id3o

Postby yeti_c on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:50 pm

id3o wrote:true, but in a fog game it wouldn't be anywhere near as much of a disadvantage ..

Play foggy next time then?!

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby MrBenn on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:01 pm

[merged] the discussion into the Feudal War map thread ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

6494316 Re: Feudal War [Quenched]

Postby Oleoneder on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:23 pm

FINALLY A TOTALLY POINTLESS MAP ... a map where a person just sits in the MAIN CASTLE and simply BOMBARDS one neutral, building cards and reinforcing and building cards and reinforcing ad nausea ... hoping everyone else will be steeeeewpid enough to try to move against that massive MAIN POSITION.

SO; WHAT kind of a game design is one in which 6 people sit bombarding ONE neutral each, building cards, and waiting for someone to flinch JUST AND ONLY to clear the game from their que ... GUFFAW ...
Corporal 1st Class Oleoneder

Postby yeti_c on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:43 pm

natty_dread wrote:
surely with four players, starting at the corners would be more balanced? or am i alone in this?

There's no way to do this with current XML. The starting positions will always be randomly distributed.

Actually - you know - there is a way of doing this...

We could create 4 starting positions in the XML... those would be the 4 starting corners...

This would change 2/3/4 player games.

2 player games would start with 2 corners each. (Middle 2 castles neutral) - No real point in playing this in Fog anymore.
3 player games would start with 1 corners each - and 1 of the other castles. (similar to before but would ensure that all players had a corner - rather than before where one (unlucky player could've started with both middle castles)
4 player games would start with 1 corner each. (Would reduce the effect of Fog)
5 player games would start with 1 castle each and 1 neutral. (note that the neutral could be any of the 6 castles (yes even the corners) - as currently)
6 player games would start with 1 castle each. (as currently)

Thoughts?

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:54 pm

The changes seem sensible to me.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby denominator on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:40 pm

Not a fan. One of the big draws of me to Feudal and the other "starting position" maps is that the starting points of your opponents is unknown. A large part of the game we play here is random luck and dealing with poor luck by using good strategy. New World is probably my favourite starting point map because it has 9 points, so with the exception of 3 player games, there is always at least one neutral point, and each point plays differently.

The other main attraction to Feudal is playing in the fog, and none of the changes suggested make fog more interesting, most make it less interesting. 2 and 4 player games become scripted, like City Mogul is constantly scripted. 3 player games are virtually unaffected, all it does is remove a small percentage circumstance where one player is at a disadvantage. 5 and 6 player games are unaffected.

My vote goes to leaving it the way it is. If people are concerned over the random luck issues with the map, they can go play Feudal Epic where these concerns are addressed by having 10 starting points.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:09 pm

yeti_c wrote:Would also make it really boring for a fog game.

C.

I just dip-checked, and of the 261k games on the map, 169k are foggy - that's about 65% of games on the map, compared to about 30% (7921 / 25640) of currently active/waiting games. This indicates that Feudal War games are twice as likely to be foggy as any other game, and that more FW games are foggy than sunny. Accordingly, anything that has an adverse impact on foggy FW games should be avoided.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Jock McCock on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:39 pm

I don't like this idea, although I can see the point in changing it for 3 player games where one player can be disadvantaged by being in Realm and Rebel. I think it's still possible to win from there though so no change should be made.
Corporal 1st Class Jock McCock

Postby alster on Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:13 pm

yeti_c wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

We could create 4 starting positions in the XML... those would be the 4 starting corners...

2 player games would start with 2 corners each. (Middle 2 castles neutral) - No real point in playing this in Fog anymore.
3 player games would start with 1 corners each - and 1 of the other castles. (similar to before but would ensure that all players had a corner - rather than before where one (unlucky player could've started with both middle castles)
5 player games would start with 1 castle each and 1 neutral. (note that the neutral could be any of the 6 castles (yes even the corners) - as currently)

Thoughts?

C.

No! Jebus - that would destroy the map. That's the whole attraction with FW, playing it out from different/random starting positions.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby Lindax on Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I am against this proposal too. One of the fun things is trying to figure out where your opponents are.

A doubles game with fog? You would exactly know where your opponents are from the start, for example.

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby army of nobunaga on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:24 pm

yeti_c wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

Thoughts?

C.

NONONONONONONONONON

GOD no

listen man. Here are the reasons this is the best map in CC and sheer genius either purposeful or by accident on your part when you made it.

1) FW is like a detective game. In fog when you follow the cards and territories and bonus, the studious players can tell where everyone is. Or get it down to good guesses.
2) starting positions are different and they have real weaknesses and strengths. There are good and bad ways to play every starting spot.
3) Its tight and can be logical and chaotic. The blind splits are sheer joyfulness and add an aspect that makes or breaks every game.
4) playing no spoils or esc 6 man sunny -its perfectly balanced. Playing 3 man sunny no spoils or esc- perfectly balanced. In my mind this makes a fair map.

before I left last october, Crash and I were working on a feudal II map. He is like #2 in the game on that map and I was like 15th at the time.
There are a few things that could be improved there, but not these changes. Feudal Epic is a nice map... but i was expecting way more :S

anyway cheers, and please dont change something that is voted as the best map in the game.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby yeti_c on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:58 am

Thanks for all of the responses guys...

Looks like there will be no further changes then.

I have to say - I was on the side of "no change" - but wanted to see everyone else unbiased opinions.

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Arducius on Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Adore the map, but i'm playing currently in 8014958 and i must say with 6 people it does feel that the Great Kingdom castle does start with a stronger position than the others. Would someone experienced with the map explain why this isnt the case?
Corporal Arducius

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas