Conquer Club

austerlitz

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

austerlitz

Postby ronsizzle on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:31 pm

what a poor map.

what the f*ck is the foundry doing?
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Re: austerlitz

Postby e_i_pi on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Hey don't complain... at least it's not Auschwitz
Captain e_i_pi

Postby ronsizzle on Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:22 pm

e_i_pi wrote:Hey don't complain... at least it's not Auschwitz

great point.

i just dont get it at all.

Postby demonfork on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:21 pm

ronc8649 wrote:what a poor map.

I agree, it looks like shit.
Major demonfork

Postby Master Fenrir on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:57 pm

It seems to be an extremely condensed version of WWII Ardennes.
General Master Fenrir

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:20 am

Why not share your opinions in the Map Topic, where they can be viewed with others?

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=66248&start=120

And as always, take part in the Foundry Process if you are interested in having a say in how Maps Look and Play.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:24 am

ronc8649 wrote:what a poor map.

thanks for your valid feedback on completely putting down someones hard work here on CC. As always, we look forward to your future opinions !
JR's Game Profile

show
Captain JOHNNYROCKET24

Postby Supermarioluigi on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:13 pm

You obviously cannot grasp its true meaning.
Achieved August 27, 2009
Cook Supermarioluigi

Postby targetman377 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:04 pm

maps take people a lot of hard work to make and put together if you don't like it that's fine but to say that is over the line. [-(
VOTE AUTO/TARGET in 12
Sergeant targetman377

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:07 pm

the map is poorly executed, and poorly explained on the map itself.

we have over 140 maps now, and i have yet to complain about one. but this one 'in my opinion' is not good.

it makes me think that the medals that people attain in putting shotty tournaments together is now happening in the foundry.

if you are going to make something, you have to be ready for criticism. look at professional athletes. do you think derek anderson should not hear complaints from the fans for his 2-17 performance and 23 yards? does it matter that being a pro quarterback "takes alot of hard work"? should we the fans not complain about this?

crossing a line? give me a break. if i do a shitty job at my work, i expect to hear complaints.

i am a paying customer, and deserve a voice.

well I was able to join 4 games the entire day with the extremely low amount of available games started and go 3-1. Real bad drop on the loss. Lets see if I can get another 4 tomorrow.....sigh :roll:

does that last paragraph sound familiar? someone bitching about the mods? and the contest they put up? come on jr, if you are going to talk about me complaining, why do you complain when you do?

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:42 pm

I for one like this map. At first I had trouble understanding the attack routes and bonuses, but after taking 1 or 2 turns, reading the legend, and actually paying attention it all made perfect sense.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby Supermarioluigi on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:02 pm

We all have different tastes (in this case, for maps)...WHY CANNOT WE JUST ALL GET ALONG?

The mapmaker obviously put plenty of work into this map.

I for one have several maps that I detest (but I will not name them here; no offense meant to the map-maker) but there is a simple solution: DON'T PLAY THE MAP THEN.

And at least try to give some constructive criticism, otherwise you will be ignored (in the foundry, among other things).

Not just "This map sucks." but rather "I don't like this map because..."
Achieved August 27, 2009
Cook Supermarioluigi

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:04 pm

by ronc8649 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:31 am

what a poor map.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

by AndyDufresne » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:20 pm

Why not share your opinions in the Map Topic, where they can be viewed with others?

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=66248&start=120

And as always, take part in the Foundry Process if you are interested in having a say in how Maps Look and Play.

--Andy

well..... andy is right-if you think that something is wrong-you need to go to foundry,and there to put this question-usualy mods is very fast and transver all topic related on some map in this thread.
Or you have other option to not play maps what you think is look bad for you. ;)
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:16 pm

At least it is better than First Nations. Trees taller than mountains, horrible color scheme etc.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Postby SFX! on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:22 pm

I actually quite like this map.. Interesting gameplay and peculiarly appealing.
Private 1st Class SFX!

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:36 pm

oh, im sorry qwert, i cant understand a single thing you just said.

and as for which forum this belongs in? i thought this said " anything relating to cc".

and as far as making me look bad? if that is what you attempted to say? i dont think it does.

if you cant handle criticism, then you have problems.

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:38 pm

jbrettlip wrote:At least it is better than First Nations. Trees taller than mountains, horrible color scheme etc.

Seriously?

As for Austerlitz, I agree. It looked nice as a JPG sitting on a thread, but once put into play it's kinda …
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:43 pm

by ronc8649 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:36 pm

oh, im sorry qwert, i cant understand a single thing you just said.

and as for which forum this belongs in? i thought this said " anything relating to cc".

and as far as making me look bad? if that is what you attempted to say? i dont think it does.

if you cant handle criticism, then you have problems.

Me and mine english :mrgreen:
I want to say,that you have MAp Forum,where you can find related topic,and there you can post what you think about some map.
Usualy Mods lock all topic in General discusion who are related on Map Graphic or gameplay.
Its this more clear?
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby alster on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Well people. If you don't like a map, don't play it. There are plenty of maps out there, no sense playing the one's you don't care that much for. The same goes for settings. And as always, just suck it up like a Greek cupcake.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:52 pm

I think what qwert was trying to say---he'd prefer your criticism as part of the Foundry Process. I think this is true of any cartographer making a map. But as we all know, it is nearly impossible for any person to follow every map in the Foundry Process.

I think the main underlying concern/issue with all this is---a general desire to have more people participate in the Foundry Process---either by quickly hitting a number of maps with comments/suggestions/concerns, or focusing your effort on a map your repeatedly turn to, update after update, following it along.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby jefjef on Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:53 pm

SFX! wrote:I actually quite like this map.. Interesting gameplay and peculiarly appealing.

I agree with SFX & her avi!

If ya don't like the map FOE it!
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby The Neon Peon on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:01 pm

The map is great. Just because the graphics are different does not in any way mean that they are bad. I would love to see several more maps with the same graphics and gameplay style come out.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby owenshooter on Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:06 pm

The Neon Peon wrote:The map is great. Just because the graphics are different does not in any way mean that they are bad. I would love to see several more maps with the same graphics and gameplay style come out.

just because i loved my atari 64 doesn't mean i think new video games that come out should embrace those block graphics...-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I'm going to weigh in here in a fashion that will no doubt impress the admin.

I think the real problem we're seeing in the Foundry is that there is such a lack of updates in the game engine, that in order to keep things interesting, mapmakers are forced to complicate their maps. Unfortunately the scenario has progressed so far that now we're seeing maps that you need to study for a while in order to understand. I've heard arguments against this along the lines of "Gur gur you stoopid, me understand map good, you understand nothing mwaha", but seriously people, if you saw some of these maps in a board game format in a store, you'd pass them over.

Remember when Waterloo was considered complex? Well it still is for new players! Now look at something like Poison Rome (which I abolsutely love, no offence cairns), or Forbidden City, or Battle for Iraq. In order for mapmakers to make their map interesting, they have to circumvent the dearth of new game features, and virtually make their own by making their maps complex. It shouldn't be this way. Take a look at these maps, listed in chronological order (I believe):

Now I can't be the only one that is noticing an increase in the amount of space taken up by instructions. As for Austerwitz map, the three main problems I see are this:
a) The colours of the text on the map are far too saturated
b) The connections between them look shoddy, and don't stand out
c) The instructions don't explain it well enough.

I think the mapmaker has tried to trim back the instruction onslaught that we've seen recently, but unfortunately it now makes his/her map more difficult to understand. So what does he do? Dedicate more space to instructions, cluttering the aesthetic, or make it more simple, so that it stands out as little as the ~80 or so other simple maps on the site?

I expect the solution on the horizon is to increase the map size, which isn't a solution really, more of a quick and easy way out of a corner. Of course, I expect the counter-argument will be "simple is best", which is a euphamism for "we're copping out, and going on holidays again"...
Captain e_i_pi

Postby jbrettlip on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:43 pm

eipi I totally agree. And since English isn't my first language, it makes it even more difficult to figure these maps out. I really think the keys should have to read in English, Spanish and Chinese to reflect the diversity of our forum.
nothing wrong with a little bit of man on dog love.
Lieutenant jbrettlip

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion