Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Goblin Tribes

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Goblin Tribes[D,GP]v18 pg12 sept30 L/S Done Nudges Needed?

Postby Danyael on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Thanks Mr.benn
MrBenn wrote:I'm really confused about some of the attack rules, and the reasons for them... How on earth do you attack the chiefs? Do you need a chief to get the region bonus? Why do the Fungi attack the mushroom patches?

Ok the chiefs can assault the territ there crown army square sits in and visa versa
the chief is like a territory inside the the teritory and no they are not needed for the tribe bonus
any suggestions on improving this for clairty sake

goblins are a sneaky bunch they can go in through a mouse hole but come out from under your covers
if i could remember the title of a book i read when i was smaller there was a goblin that grew and layed about in mushroom patches and where and magically that Hobgoblin could use his magic to transport himself to any mushroom patch that grew in the land gameplay reasoning to and those routes was the fangs where at a disadvantage and had to gates so i added theses extra paths which will cause annoyance to the muds and the bloods

There are elements of the map that I think are exemplary - for example, the Evil Mine looks fantastic (despite not correlating to the icon on the legend).

My only concern is that your obvious ability is in risk of being overshadowed by complexity :?

know that I look at it the mine icon is not the newest looking one its the one i used from v 8 i'll work on making it better
I am a man that lives in shadows too let complexity overshadow talent is not a big deal to me

that being said i don't want to confuse people to the extent they don't play
any suggestion too improve clarity(chief attacks and such )
thanks agian at lest i have some things to work on ;)
Corporal 1st Class Danyael

Postby iancanton on Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:07 pm

hold chief and receive +1 for each of his tribal regions held: his (not their) because chief is singular, not plural, and regions (not territories) to be consistent with the instructions.

http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions1

is it clear enough that the chief is excluded from the count, so that this bonus works like the gang bonuses in supermax?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Danyael on Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:30 pm

iancanton wrote:hold chief and receive +1 for each of his tribal regions held: his (not their) because chief is singular, not plural, and regions (not territories) to be consistent with the instructions.

http://www.conquerclub.com/public.php?m ... tructions1

is it clear enough that the chief is excluded from the count, so that this bonus works like the gang bonuses in supermax?

ian. :)

good good wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more
thanks I'll switch territories to regions forgot about changing that
and damn my english skills i'll make it singualar nice catch

i guess if i put a cluase under the tribe bonuses stating "Does not include its chief"
or I could write it like supermax

"hold chief and receive +1 for every 3 of his tribal regions held"
and make chief a different colour to bold it
should that make it clear?

And I wonder instead of the evil mine icon I'll draw out a smaller mountain mine entrance graphic with out taking to much room because having a copy paste does make it looked half ass
the dark portal will be improved upon as well or else it will look out of place

Postby squishyg on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:43 am

Danyael wrote:"hold chief and receive +1 for every 3 of his tribal regions held"
and make chief a different colour to bold it
should that make it clear?

I do think that will make it clear
Captain squishyg

Postby PepeAtila on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:40 pm

well, it is very well made, but just some suggestions:
- I think perhaps you can put the numbers for the monster kings on them directly (even you can crown them with some type of metal crown as Fritz (putting the number on his stomach) .
Also if you want to win space, you can situate the tribe icons just under the circle for numbers ...

Or also you can use the tribe icon as a part of the names:
Or with the icon under the names or making every icon means a letter included in the name of the area, for example the icon for "muds" can be used as A

About mushroom I would include the picture on the instructions about the hidden path ... and will write less. :) understand that players are not only English speakers.

And this about the gates I dont understand it very well.

Anyway is just to include some idea ... about the names ... I like them with more vowels ;)
Captain PepeAtila

Postby Danyael on Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks PepeAtila

PepeAtila wrote:- I think perhaps you can put the numbers for the monster kings on them directly (even you can crown them with some type of metal crown as Fritz (putting the number on his stomach) .
Also if you want to win space, you can situate the tribe icons just under the circle for numbers ...

unfortunately the Chiefs army indicator is indicating the region it sit within like a region within a region so moving it on to the chief will add to the confusion this already is being caused

For the tribe icons it has been suggested before and does work nice with the fangs and the skulls
but the muds and bloods but I'll try a few things out even if it means redrawing the mud and blood icons to better suit the army circle in the large map at least but we will see.
PepeAtila wrote:Or also you can use the tribe icon as a part of the names:
Or with the icon under the names or making every icon means a letter included in the name of the area, for example the icon for "muds" can be used as A

neat idea but i think it would causes to much confusion as not every one will pickup on the cleverness

PepeAtila wrote:About mushroom I would include the picture on the instructions about the hidden path ... and will write less. :) understand that players are not only English speakers.

And this about the gates I dont understand it very well.

the "mythos" I like it sets the mood and adds backstory while covering gameplay instructions
I really want to keep it but there should be middle ground if i can't

There are two types of gates same type connect theres the evil mine and dark portal
i'm working on making this more understandable in the legend mainly changing the evil mine icon to more reflect the map look of it

and i like more vowels as well but I think the more compact name work better with the space unfortunately

thanks again for ideas and sugesstion

Postby PepeAtila on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:22 am

I mean for names you can change the way , for example all the Bloods begin with 'B' why not to change the beginning and make the same end ??
Billy is the king ... so why the others are not Melly, Kally, Nolly, Dully ...
Or if you prefer to use the letter for the tribe 'B, F, M, S'
biBy, meBa, noBe .... I mean because I confuse too much when the names are so similars ...
Captain PepeAtila

Re: Goblin Tribes[D,GP]v19 pg13 oct13 Legend changes

Postby Danyael on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:56 pm

Version 19
Click image to enlarge.

CHANGES
changed wording in chief portion of legend

WORKING ON
improving gate legend
- Are the different colours for different types of gates improving clarity or not?
- Will be enlarging size of mine icon and blending both portal and mine icons better with the text.
- Are the colours used for the Evil Mine and Dark Portals ok??

TO DO
- Move MUD icons slightly lower on a few of the regions.
- Update Small Map

PepeAtila wrote:I mean for names you can change the way , for example all the Bloods begin with 'B' why not to change the beginning and make the same end ??
Billy is the king ... so why the others are not Melly, Kally, Nolly, Dully ...
Or if you prefer to use the letter for the tribe 'B, F, M, S'
biBy, meBa, noBe .... I mean because I confuse too much when the names are so similars ...

I'm not quite sure what it is you're getting at; Is having "B" as a first letter (or "F" and so on) not simple enough? I would think switching it over to what you've proposed would cause more confusion than there may already be, no?

Postby natty dread on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Absolutely no offense, but the "mud" symbols look like turds...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Danyael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:10 pm

heehee

well with a chief named Modoo

what can you expect
especially since his turn ons include dysentery, daygoes, and romantic walks on a diaper filled beach in the heat of the day.

Postby cairnswk on Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Danyael. i haven't looked at this map for a long while, so i'm sorry if any of this has been covered but i'm coming from a viewpoint of someone who lilke very much to play the map....
1. Your artwork is tremendous
2. is there any way that you can make the "b"s in the title stand out more. to me it seems to read Goplin Tribes. i know it's the font but it just seems that everytime i look at the title i see the same thing when i know it should be different.
3. Since version 8, you've changed the top right legend considerably by making the aspects smaller. imho they looked better at the V8 size when you could see them easily.
4. the font used for Chiefs and the storyline (bottom left)....any chance that can be either increased in size or given more horizontal scaling to make it less cramped. once again i know its probably the font, but to be honest, i am having a hard time reading it, and this is your large Map (yes?), what's it going to be like on the small map?
And i guess this is all part of what you're working on anyways....
Great work so far..... :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Just popping in to say the legend is getting much clearer, keep it up.

I still am watching this to see where it goes.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby Danyael on Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:31 pm

cairnswk wrote:Danyael. i haven't looked at this map for a long while, so i'm sorry if any of this has been covered but i'm coming from a viewpoint of someone who lilke very much to play the map....
1. Your artwork is tremendous
2. is there any way that you can make the "b"s in the title stand out more. to me it seems to read Goplin Tribes. i know it's the font but it just seems that everytime i look at the title i see the same thing when i know it should be different.
3. Since version 8, you've changed the top right legend considerably by making the aspects smaller. imho they looked better at the V8 size when you could see them easily.
4. the font used for Chiefs and the storyline (bottom left)....any chance that can be either increased in size or given more horizontal scaling to make it less cramped. once again i know its probably the font, but to be honest, i am having a hard time reading it, and this is your large Map (yes?), what's it going to be like on the small map?
And i guess this is all part of what you're working on anyways....
Great work so far..... :)

Thanks a lot Cairnswk
1. thank you
2.The b will be changed the more i look at it the more it bothers me too I have found a font in a simialr style that has a
better b so i might redo the title slighty
3.I agree that version 8 did read clearer in some aspects (ie the way tribes was set up) i'll go back to that version psd and
compare sizes and adjust accordingly as you will see further down i added a fuax bold to the font (chief and gate legend
only atm) but i think with that applied to the tribe legend this might help as well as a couple pixel up on the px
4.this i'm struggling with atm i'll try some Hscale as you mentioned v8 i had a black smear behind it i wonder did that make
it clearer as well? any pointers on placing smalll text on a busy background would be and are appreciated
thank you for your compliments cairnswk very much
as mentioned
Click image to enlarge.

This is the small as of right now
notice the chief legend added fuax bolding, highlighted other parts to help with legiablity
as well i'm wondering if wording the chief legend this way does it make better sense the way the cheifs work and how you attack them etc.. or unnecessary?

i'll have a big and small update soon

SuicidalSnowman wrote:Just popping in to say the legend is getting much clearer, keep it up.

I still am watching this to see where it goes.

thanks for the continued support

Postby cairnswk on Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:41 pm

Danyael wrote:...
4.this i'm struggling with atm i'll try some Hscale as you mentioned v8 i had a black smear behind it i wonder did that make
it clearer as well? any pointers on placing smalll text on a busy background would be and are appreciated ...

Danyael...i think the possible problem is that the font you are using is very fine.
Can you bold it? to see if that improves it.
I don't think you'd be able to place anything behind it as you've already got it on black, although you could fiddle with colours to see if that changes its clarity any.
If all else fails....(and i hate to go here in many ways) but perhaps a font change :-k
the objective is that is has to be clear enough for everyone to read, and the small map (storyline) is really almost illegible at present. the legend is improving...ah...now is see....
to me, the chiefs white text is quite more legible than the storyline, so perhaps apply those properties to the storyline and get the font the same height.
in the legend...the olive text needs brightening somewhat just to bring it out the black.
hope this helps
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Duality. on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:02 pm

This is the first time I've looked at this map, and there's only two things that I feel need altering:

1. Like cairnswk (and perhaps others) said, I think the B's in the map title need to stand out more, currently they appear insignificant due to their size. Maybe you could make them normal, but perhaps a different colour, and backwards? That way they'd stand out and would suit the stupidity of Goblins.

2. I really like the Goblin Chiefs: they add a lot of character to the aesthetics of the map, and maintain the comedy. However, the lines used for Fritz's stomach and Modoo's nose seem a bit 'tacky' (for lack of a better word). This is simply because they're thinner and don't appear as smooth as any other parts of the Goblins.

Overall this map looks like a lot of fun and I hope to see it progress quickly :). Great work.
Sergeant 1st Class Duality.

Postby Danyael on Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:44 pm

Duality. wrote:This is the first time I've looked at this map, and there's only two things that I feel need altering:

1. Like cairnswk (and perhaps others) said, I think the B's in the map title need to stand out more, currently they appear insignificant due to their size. Maybe you could make them normal, but perhaps a different colour, and backwards? That way they'd stand out and would suit the stupidity of Goblins.

2. I really like the Goblin Chiefs: they add a lot of character to the aesthetics of the map, and maintain the comedy. However, the lines used for Fritz's stomach and Modoo's nose seem a bit 'tacky' (for lack of a better word). This is simply because they're thinner and don't appear as smooth as any other parts of the Goblins.

Overall this map looks like a lot of fun and I hope to see it progress quickly :). Great work.

thanks i'll work on those chiefs a bit thanks for the support
cairnswk wrote:
Danyael wrote:...
it clearer as well? any pointers on placing smalll text on a busy background would be and are appreciated ...

Danyael...i think the possible problem is that the font you are using is very fine.
Can you bold it? to see if that improves it.
I don't think you'd be able to place anything behind it as you've already got it on black, although you could fiddle with colours to see if that changes its clarity any.
If all else fails....(and i hate to go here in many ways) but perhaps a font change :-k
the objective is that is has to be clear enough for everyone to read, and the small map (storyline) is really almost illegible at present. the legend is improving...ah...now is see....
to me, the chiefs white text is quite more legible than the storyline, so perhaps apply those properties to the storyline and get the font the same height.
in the legend...the olive text needs brightening somewhat just to bring it out the black.
hope this helps

I think i almost got it there is actually the forest background behind it at the moment i'm using a black glow on the text but if my next update iss still un clear i will change to a different font thanks alot

Postby gimil on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:35 am

Another map that has seen vast improvement since I last seen it!

Although the Billy an Skivy regions look very similar in colour, and may be harder to distinguish for a colour blind person (could).

Nice work, keep it up.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby squishyg on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:21 pm

When do I get to plaaaaaaay?

(Impatiently checks inbox for invite to first game)

You know I love this map already. Only thing I'm seeing now is that it's hard to read Skivy's name. The green doesn't stand out the way the other chief names stand out (although the neon used on them is not my most favorite thing about your wondrous, super great map). There's still something about the chief territories that bugs me. If it's the chief's territory, why does it also have a name? (ex. Fritz's territory is named Flack). What do you think about the territory just being the chief's name?

(checks inbox again. knows invite is coming any day now)

p.s. your mountains are still awesome
Captain squishyg

Postby Danyael on Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:16 pm

gimil wrote:Another map that has seen vast improvement since I last seen it!

Although the Billy an Skivy regions look very similar in colour, and may be harder to distinguish for a colour blind person (could).

Nice work, keep it up.

lol thanks gimil
yes a colourblind person like myself would have problems but there is the icons and the first letter similarities Fangs and so on atm bloods and muds same colour for me and same with fangs and skulls
since a impasize the symbols in the legend that should be what is more focused on and not the colours

squishyg wrote:When do I get to plaaaaaaay?

(Impatiently checks inbox for invite to first game)

You know I love this map already. Only thing I'm seeing now is that it's hard to read Skivy's name. The green doesn't stand out the way the other chief names stand out (although the neon used on them is not my most favorite thing about your wondrous, super great map). There's still something about the chief territories that bugs me. If it's the chief's territory, why does it also have a name? (ex. Fritz's territory is named Flack). What do you think about the territory just being the chief's name?

(checks inbox again. knows invite is coming any day now)

p.s. your mountains are still awesome

thanks squishy i'm working as fast as i can internet has been down so updates are a little slow but that will change soon thanks again for all your support

Postby gimil on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:19 am

Danyael wrote:
gimil wrote:Another map that has seen vast improvement since I last seen it!

Nice work, keep it up.

lol thanks gimil
yes a colourblind person like myself would have problems but there is the icons and the first letter similarities Fangs and so on atm bloods and muds same colour for me and same with fangs and skulls
since a impasize the symbols in the legend that should be what is more focused on and not the colours

Perhaps the symbol may be enough, but it never hurts to make your map a little more user-friendly. My suggestion would be to make the Billy region a little more yellow.

Cheers,
gimil
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Yeah, I second the making of Billy region slightly more yellow or perhapsjust brighten up the Bug region as I thought it was part of the other bonus... now I see that Boo is also part of Billy's tribe.

The text in the lower right hand corner is hard to read. The font reads fine in other places, its just something about that corner.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Danyael on Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:11 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Yeah, I second the making of Billy region slightly more yellow or perhapsjust brighten up the Bug region as I thought it was part of the other bonus... now I see that Boo is also part of Billy's tribe.

The text in the lower right hand corner is hard to read. The font reads fine in other places, its just something about that corner.

thanks i'll try and make that corner better as well i've brightened the bloods alittle more and it will look alot clearer

i apologize about the delay damn work but an update should be ready very soon

Postby pamoa on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:11 am

I see you have a very dark overall bg
you must try with blue's 888
because it's always a problem with blue digits on dark bg

nice job
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby RedBaron0 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Fortnightly review of Goblin Tribes:

While this is a good map which could be said to be fairly close to the Forge. Danyael has not logged into the site for close to 3 weeks.(12/24/09) Before getting into graphical analysis, myself and thenobodies80 would like to see Danyael login and post some sort of update. If not done so by the next review, the production of this map will be considered stalled and will be moved to the Recycling Bin.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby RedBaron0 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:22 am

[Moved]

Two fortnightly review periods have passed without any updates or meaningful engagement from the mapmaker(s),therefore the map is considered stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box