Conquer Club

Madness (Our House) [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Madness (Our House) [Quenched]

Postby max is gr8 on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:37 am

I think that dad is too powerful, I've only played this map a few times, all recently, all of them I thought dad is overpowered. Dad has 2 borders and gets a bonus of 3, Bud has 2 Sis Has 2 and both of them get 2. I think the bonus on Dad should be decreased.
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:46 am

max is gr8 wrote:I think that dad is too powerful, I've only played this map a few times, all recently, all of them I thought dad is overpowered. Dad has 2 borders and gets a bonus of 3, Bud has 2 Sis Has 2 and both of them get 2. I think the bonus on Dad should be decreased.

If you can gather some substantial support for that, I will make it happen. ;)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby anamainiacks on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:43 am

cairnswk wrote:
max is gr8 wrote:I think that dad is too powerful, I've only played this map a few times, all recently, all of them I thought dad is overpowered. Dad has 2 borders and gets a bonus of 3, Bud has 2 Sis Has 2 and both of them get 2. I think the bonus on Dad should be decreased.

If you can gather some substantial support for that, I will make it happen. ;)

i support that 100%. moreover, Dad's 2 borders are connected to each other. so if 1 is invaded, they can immediately claim the territory back from the other border

on the other hand, for Bud, Sis, and Mom, their 2 borders are not connected. thus if 1 of the borders are invaded, it is harder to claim back the territory with only a single troop in the bordering territory, if you get what i mean :S
Colonel anamainiacks

Postby Gilligan on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:26 am

That actually makes sense...
Captain Gilligan

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 am

woo! I have anamainiacks support - He has a really old game on this map nearly the oldest I believe. That is all thank you.
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Joodoo on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:50 am

can the front path/driveway attack the neighbours?
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby cairnswk on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:40 am

Joodoo wrote:can the front path/driveway attack the neighbours?

Yes.
Private cairnswk

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:33 pm

The lack of link between sis' access and storage is entirely, err ... misleading.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:51 pm

All of the borders in the 'Common Areas' bonuses are unclear. It could do with a little editing.
I doubt the original file will be needed for such an edit if you want to change it.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:43 pm

The whole map could do with more than a little bit of editing.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby ManBungalow on Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:56 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:The whole map could do with more than a little bit of editing.

You're right - let's hope Cairns will show some support.

I think the Dog should start neutral too.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:54 am

Thanks for your input guys, but it ain't gonna happen. Sorry. ;)
Private cairnswk

Postby demonfork on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:49 am

cairnswk wrote:Thanks for your input guys, but it ain't gonna happen. Sorry. ;)

Why? Because you say so? Are you too above it?

Typical foundry snob attitude.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:06 pm

demonfork wrote:

Yes Demon Fork, because i say so. My map.
If people think that i am going to run around after every little thing that they don't like on a map after it's quenched, then they're wrong. A Map takes it's journey through the foundry and whilst it is in production that is the opportunity for everyone to have their say.
But it seems that those that have the biggest whinge after quenching don't bother to comment on maps whilst they are in production. This map is already quenched and if you aren't happy with it, then don't play it. Otherwise, if you desperately want to play it, then play it, but don't expect me to be your slave of whim. this for me is a hobby, not a business.
There is another way to change a quenched map, and that is to have it re-vamped. Get that movement going if you're game.
As for the typical foundry snob attitude, i think you're way out of your depth there mate, and if you're making that comment on behalf of others, then let them come out and say so themselves.
Private cairnswk

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:10 pm

I wasn't here when this was going through development, but I can see at least a dozen things I'd like to be fixed on this. However, it's already been quenched, and we might as well let it be an unpopular map. I don't like it, and thus choose to avoid it (random permitting). I suggest you do the same.

As for the snob comment … oh come on.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby cairnswk on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:34 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:I wasn't here when this was going through development, but I can see at least a dozen things I'd like to be fixed on this. However, it's already been quenched, and we might as well let it be an unpopular map. I don't like it, and thus choose to avoid it (random permitting). I suggest you do the same.

As for the snob comment … oh come on.

.44, yes i realise you probably weren't here when this was being developed. But for those who did follow it and comment...they seemed quite happy with it otherwise it wouldn't have been quenched.
And this is a challenge with retrospectivity....
Something that is done several months ago is:
a. not going to continue being as popular as it was when it was first developed unless its the classic map (default)
b. there is always going to be someone like yourself come along afterwards and say, shit, bad job on that one.
I will agree with you, it's not one of my best efforts, but i beleive it fits what the map is meant to represent and the gameplay is a bit of fun. If it's unpopular, then perhaps it doesn't fit in with everyone's (current members/players) idea of being a map that has some mystical aspect relevant to folk-lore, or a map that is entirely geographic or warlike, and has to have professional photoshop finishes to it...(btw, i don't work in PS)

You well know, that i am onle of the foundry's mapmakers who does his utmost to try and please people, but i will only do that when there is huge outcry. and let's face it...even the recent changes for Das Schloss have taken forever and a day to get done. so i am not in a hurry now to consider revamping this one. IMHO this map will always be somewhat unpopular for reasons given, not because of the unstunning graphics.
Private cairnswk

Postby Monsterblood on Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I just want to comment on this map, my first time trying this out and I absolutely love it. Its unique maps like these (crossword, madness etc) makes CC even more enjoyable. Its always good now and again to play on a map that has no relation to countries at all and just something different and fun. Keep it up mate, I hope to see more unique of maps like this coming out in the future. Very pleased to play on it...simple, attractive, different but fun indeed.
Sergeant 1st Class Monsterblood

Postby cairnswk on Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Monsterblood wrote:I just want to comment on this map, my first time trying this out and I absolutely love it. Its unique maps like these (crossword, madness etc) makes CC even more enjoyable. Its always good now and again to play on a map that has no relation to countries at all and just something different and fun. Keep it up mate, I hope to see more unique of maps like this coming out in the future. Very pleased to play on it...simple, attractive, different but fun indeed.

Thanks Monsterblood. Please you like it...and the variety. :)
Private cairnswk

Postby conquerclubftw on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Cairnswk,

I really like the whole idea of the map. However, if the doghouse does not start neutral, wouldn't one player have a very big advantage at the beginning of the game?
And... if you agree that the graphics need to be revamped, I can definitely help with that.

cairnswk wrote:
demonfork wrote:

Yes Demon Fork, because i say so. My map.
If people think that i am going to run around after every little thing that they don't like on a map after it's quenched, then they're wrong. A Map takes it's journey through the foundry and whilst it is in production that is the opportunity for everyone to have their say.
But it seems that those that have the biggest whinge after quenching don't bother to comment on maps whilst they are in production. This map is already quenched and if you aren't happy with it, then don't play it. Otherwise, if you desperately want to play it, then play it, but don't expect me to be your slave of whim. this for me is a hobby, not a business.
There is another way to change a quenched map, and that is to have it re-vamped. Get that movement going if you're game.
As for the typical foundry snob attitude, i think you're way out of your depth there mate, and if you're making that comment on behalf of others, then let them come out and say so themselves.
Sergeant 1st Class conquerclubftw

Postby ManBungalow on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 pm

Hi Cairns, I'm glad you made this map, and it's true that it does add variety to the map selection to have this kind of thing available.

As I posted in the other thread, some of the borders are slightly unclear.
Particularly the horizontal borders in the Common Areas region....Lounge<->Hallway and Hallway<->Entrance, obviously due to the floor texture.

Also, it might just be me, but I overlooked the Patio<->Rear Path connection in my first games on the map. Maybe that's because the Patio<->Den hallway impassable is about the same colour/thickness as the real border, though I'm sure I'll live regardless.

Oh, and I'd also like to suggest that the Dog begins as a neutral region. Not only is the immediate +1 bonus a nuisance (unless you hold it, I guess), but taking another region out of the starting positions might reduce the number of starting positions to 11. At the moment, in a 1vs1 game, both players start with 12 regions, giving +4 and an immediate advantage to the first player.

But, hey, it's your map; and it's evidently functional, what with over 11,000 finished games.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm

ManBungalow wrote:Hi Cairns, I'm glad you made this map, and it's true that it does add variety to the map selection to have this kind of thing available.

As I posted in the other thread, some of the borders are slightly unclear.
Particularly the horizontal borders in the Common Areas region....Lounge<->Hallway and Hallway<->Entrance, obviously due to the floor texture.

Also, it might just be me, but I overlooked the Patio<->Rear Path connection in my first games on the map. Maybe that's because the Patio<->Den hallway impassable is about the same colour/thickness as the real border, though I'm sure I'll live regardless.

Oh, and I'd also like to suggest that the Dog begins as a neutral region. Not only is the immediate +1 bonus a nuisance (unless you hold it, I guess), but taking another region out of the starting positions might reduce the number of starting positions to 11. At the moment, in a 1vs1 game, both players start with 12 regions, giving +4 and an immediate advantage to the first player.

But, hey, it's your map; and it's evidently functional, what with over 11,000 finished games.

Thanks manBungalow for commenting.
I am now more partial to hearing about these things than i was before, i still don't know about the dog house starting neutral through, i guess may have to go through that all over again. Whichever way, some people are bound to be unhappy with things if they change.

For now though, i am considering a revamp along these lines, but doing this is in Illustrator/PS for clearer lines.
No changes to actual gameplay except the discussion about doghouse, but certainly a change to graphics along these lines
Private cairnswk

Postby onbekende on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:44 am

Now it looks like the Master bedroom comes out unto Common Hallway, while before it was Den Hallway. desired?

Why 3D, this is a 2D world!
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:11 pm

onbekende wrote:Now it looks like the Master bedroom comes out unto Common Hallway, while before it was Den Hallway. desired?

Why 3D - a new perspective for this map. We do have a couple of 3D maps with 2D elements, so up to a point it can work.
I don't know if i can pull it off though. :(
This map is only a prospective view done in a few minutes, so everything will still be unclear as it has not been re-worked in another program to make it clearer...yet.
Private cairnswk

Postby ManBungalow on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:47 pm

cairnswk wrote:
onbekende wrote:Now it looks like the Master bedroom comes out unto Common Hallway, while before it was Den Hallway. desired?

Why 3D - a new perspective for this map. We do have a couple of 3D maps with 2D elements, so up to a point it can work.
I don't know if i can pull it off though. :(
This map is only a prospective view done in a few minutes, so everything will still be unclear as it has not been re-worked in another program to make it clearer...yet.

Maybe it would be best if you made a 3D map from scratch, instead of reworking Madness in this theme ?

It could be a perspective image like this:

When I posted Madness in the revamp thread, it's only because some of the borders are quite faint.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby cairnswk on Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 pm

ManBungalow wrote:...
Maybe it would be best if you made a 3D map from scratch, instead of reworking Madness in this theme ?

It could be a perspective image like this:

When I posted Madness in the revamp thread, it's only because some of the borders are quite faint.

map in 3d? that is probably possible.
I still want to take the Madness map into another software program, so perhaps i will retain it in 2D.
Private cairnswk

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas