Conquer Club

[22-May-2006] Grievances and RSS

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby zip_disk on Tue May 23, 2006 6:28 am

Personally I find using the Live Bookmark function more convenient than an RSS reader. It doesn't take up anymore space than the bookmark button on my toolbar and refreshes immediately whenever I open the browser.

More labor intensive if you keep the browser open a lot but that's not me.
Captain zip_disk

Postby lackattack on Tue May 23, 2006 7:19 am

Jota wrote:Will there be any way to cancel unjustified grievances? I'm thinking of cases where someone has been officially outed as a rule-breaker or where they're clearly abusing the grievance system (e.g. by posting demonstrably false grievances against people they don't like). It would be nice if there were a way for lack, Twill, or someone to flag problem users and prevent them from slandering the good names of folks who don't deserve it. (I know you can post a rebuttal, but that doesn't prevent the [2] or whatever from appearing next to your name.)

One thing I forgot to mention is that I plan to have moderator(s) for grievances. But I envision us only editing really offensive grievances and not investigating their accuracy or truthfulness. I'm concerned that it would be too much effort.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Obsidion on Tue May 23, 2006 7:42 am

Hiya,
been on the site for a few months... first time posting :)
Wanted to say great job on the updates :)
Just one comment? any chance of adding in positive feedback too? I know a few people that were great to play against and would recomend them to others.....
wouldnt it be nice to be positive as an alternative to only negative?
Cadet Obsidion

Postby lackattack on Tue May 23, 2006 7:48 am

Well, I figured negative only because if someone double teams in 1 out of 5 games, we don't want them to have a +4 rating, no?

But allowing positive feedback could lead to a better atmosphere.

Hmmm....
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Obsidion on Tue May 23, 2006 8:03 am

sure i dont want someone to cheat to have a positive score..... but surely if they have done it a few times and people are adding in comments then it should show up as a pattern? no?
I like the atmosphere in some of my games where I have had a real chuckle about the cruelty of the dice... or where we are so evenly matched it takes one army to tip the balance of power.... Being only able to say negative things about them (bar the email feature of course) would kind of hurt any budding friendship ;)
I mean i love Dugcarr like the next guy.... but sometimes ( and i mean very rarely) he does play a good game without insulting anyone.
Cadet Obsidion

Postby mrdexter on Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 am

niMic wrote:
mrdexter wrote:If you have an import feed function then all you need to do is click on the link on the My Games page:

Then click on import, in this example I am using BottomFeeder:

Et Voila, one rss feed.

Mine doesn't let me do that :\

Am I missing something, or should I just get another RSS-reader?

Click on scoreboard and find your player id number by hovering over your name, and read the link in the status bar at the bottom.

In the URL enter http://www.conquerclub.com/rss.php?user_id=**** where ****= your user id number.
Positive: Great guy, will always play to his best. Honourable and fun to play with as well. You know you're in for a rough time playing mrdexter :) Game 31384 Haydena
Positive: Mr D is the golden child of CC, if we had to elect a king he'd get my vote! Game 76700 silus
Sergeant 1st Class mrdexter

Postby Jota on Tue May 23, 2006 8:17 am

Perhaps positive comments could only be allowed in response to negative ones -- with enough positive responses cancelling out a grievance. (Not necessarily removing it entirely, but at least preventing it from appearing in the numeric count of grievances against you.)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby GreenfireStorm on Tue May 23, 2006 10:31 am

lackattack wrote:Well, I figured negative only because if someone double teams in 1 out of 5 games, we don't want them to have a +4 rating, no?

But allowing positive feedback could lead to a better atmosphere.

Hmmm....

I would highly suggest against positive comments. TO this day I think it has ruined things like Amazon amrketplace and eBay. I mean they started out useful, but now all it comes down to is morons going A++++++++++ and 5 stars. Last time I bought something Ihad 3 emails telling me to leave good feedback for the guy.

I think the current system will work with a good FAQ put together and moderation. Hopefully people can take care of themselves. Also some strit rules like no cussing, mention game names etc.

Maybe allow a person to reply back to each greivance to give both sides.

I mean, I avoid playing with Dug, but not because I see him as heating, he just annoys the hell out of me, so I'm not going to file a greiv or anything.

Greivances should be for cheaters/multis. Not people who annoy you.
Corporal 1st Class GreenfireStorm

Postby Haydena on Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 am

How about straying away from eBay? And show bad feedback 'and' good feedback seperately... This way you could see how many people like and enjoy playing with the guy, and who had bad experiences... This way people can easily see who is an honourable player as well as who isn't.
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby fluffybunnykins on Tue May 23, 2006 11:13 am

thanks Lack for the RSS thingy. I've stuck it into my Google home page & it works a treat!
Is there any way to increase the max no. of entries from 4?
cheers
Phil
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby Patroclus on Wed May 24, 2006 10:15 am

lackattack wrote:But allowing positive feedback could lead to a better atmosphere.
Hmmm....

Hey, Lack: Screw you and the rest of the Canucks north of the US border. And screw all south of the Rio Grande.....and that includes Maraddendum.

"Positive Feedback"? That idea sucks!

Hmmmmmm.......only kidding...... :mrgreen:
The ground was rushing up at me. It had been one heck of a ride. And suddenly I wondered………

Who packed my parachute?
Lieutenant Patroclus

Postby JCole200 on Wed May 24, 2006 4:01 pm

lackattack wrote:One thing I forgot to mention is that I plan to have moderator(s) for grievances. But I envision us only editing really offensive grievances and not investigating their accuracy or truthfulness. I'm concerned that it would be too much effort.

So when does this 'plan' go into effect? I'm pretty not happy about getting called an 'ahole' then having the greivence filed against me.

There is nothing to stop new players from logging on, getting pissed off about losing, and then negging someone.

On eBay you can counter this sort of thing through several methods, so the system somewhat works. On here, I just have a negative from some guy I killed because he's mad that I killed him and didn't let him get a continent bonus early in the game.

That's ridiculous that there is no way for me to get rid of that.

Also, there should be a link to the game in question. You can clearly see in the first line of the game the guy calling me an ahole. Then the other guy even asks who he's calling that, and he says me. Obviously, I did nothing to provoke.

There is no checks and balances in this system.. and until there is, you'll be hearing a lot of complaints about it.
Captain JCole200

Postby Aladriel on Wed May 24, 2006 7:33 pm

OK.. Here's my question about grievances. Say.. I file a grievance against someone. We shall call him 'X'. I just find X annoying. We were in a team game and X just keeps bossing me around instead of working with me. Nothing against the rules, just annoying and a little insulting. I file a grievance. I'm not going to play with X anymore and I know this. But, what's going to stop X from popping up in one of my games again to get revenge for my filing against him? Or are we just assuming that would *never* be the case?
Private Aladriel

Postby anomie on Thu May 25, 2006 1:42 am

I have a grievance count of 3 already. I'm getting them not because of my sportsmanship, but for singling out people who I feel deserve a grievance. I don't know if people are going to take the time to investigate my feedback to see how they are lying about me.
Private 1st Class anomie

Postby Scorba on Thu May 25, 2006 7:11 am

Aladriel wrote:OK.. Here's my question about grievances. Say.. I file a grievance against someone. We shall call him 'X'. I just find X annoying. We were in a team game and X just keeps bossing me around instead of working with me. Nothing against the rules, just annoying and a little insulting. I file a grievance. I'm not going to play with X anymore and I know this. But, what's going to stop X from popping up in one of my games again to get revenge for my filing against him? Or are we just assuming that would *never* be the case?

Filing a grievance has the same effect as the old ignore list. They will not be able to join your games.
Taking an enemy on the battlefield is like a hawk taking a bird. Though it enters into the midst of a thousand of them, it pays no attention to any bird other than the one it has first marked.
Lieutenant Scorba

Postby Haydena on Thu May 25, 2006 10:15 am

anomie wrote:I have a grievance count of 3 already. I'm getting them not because of my sportsmanship, but for singling out people who I feel deserve a grievance. I don't know if people are going to take the time to investigate my feedback to see how they are lying about me.

I already have looked at your two, as I've played you once and I think you're a very honourable and decent player. I've looked at these games you've played with the guys who gave you grievances.

And DiPPyDolPhin got bored and didn't want to play, so dragged the game on when you didn't wipe him out, even though it would have been a bad move for you. Just looks like someone can't hack getting a greivance...

Postby lackattack on Thu May 25, 2006 10:24 am

Idea :idea: : To avoid counter-grievances how about a 2 week cool-off period before filing against someone who filed on you?
Sergeant lackattack

Postby HighBorn on Thu May 25, 2006 10:27 am

that might work.. let the other person have a chance to just forget about it.. and if its that important to them than they will remember after the time is up
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby Haydena on Thu May 25, 2006 10:30 am

Yeah, that would be a great idea...

Postby Jota on Thu May 25, 2006 10:49 am

...as long as no one starts filing pre-emptive grievances whenever they themselves do something inappropriate.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Haydena on Thu May 25, 2006 10:50 am

Didn't think of that :?

Postby JCole200 on Thu May 25, 2006 3:09 pm

lackattack wrote:Idea :idea: : To avoid counter-grievances how about a 2 week cool-off period before filing against someone who filed on you?

Someone calls me an ahole, then files a grievance, and I don't have the right to file one on them? I don't think thats appropriate.

One persons claim to a grievance isn't anymore valid then the 2nd person putting one in.

I think you are fooling yourself into believing people are going to always put claims that are valid. I'd love to have an "official" comment on my two grievances. I consider them completely invalid. But what can I do about it? Nada.
Captain JCole200

Postby vtmarik on Thu May 25, 2006 3:15 pm

JCole200 wrote:
lackattack wrote:Idea :idea: : To avoid counter-grievances how about a 2 week cool-off period before filing against someone who filed on you?

Someone calls me an ahole, then files a grievance, and I don't have the right to file one on them? I don't think thats appropriate.

One persons claim to a grievance isn't anymore valid then the 2nd person putting one in.

I think you are fooling yourself into believing people are going to always put claims that are valid. I'd love to have an "official" comment on my two grievances. I consider them completely invalid. But what can I do about it? Nada.

How about a "shenanigans" button. Something like:

"If you feel that this grievance is unjustified, call Shenanigans and a moderator will view your rebuttal."
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
Cadet vtmarik

Postby Phx99 on Thu May 25, 2006 3:25 pm

not to sound greedy, but is there a way to have both the "ignore" and "grievances"? There are people I find just obnoxious, and would rather ignore, but can't do it without a grievance...

Phx99
Cook Phx99

Postby lackattack on Thu May 25, 2006 3:46 pm

JCole200 wrote:Someone calls me an ahole, then files a grievance, and I don't have the right to file one on them? I don't think thats appropriate.
I'd love to have an "official" comment on my two grievances. I consider them completely invalid. But what can I do about it? Nada.

No matter how frivolous the grievance, you DON'T have a right to file back. That's ABUSE.

On the other hand, you CAN leave an "official comment". Go to My Grievances -> Grievances Against Me and fill out your response.
Sergeant lackattack

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives