Conquer Club

Nuclear Spoils (and more!)

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Nuclear Spoils (and more!)

Postby Kalano Sanchin on Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:38 am

They new layouts fine, people just seem to be scared of change. You can move the statistics which were on the bottom to the side and ten theres no problems.
Sergeant 1st Class Kalano Sanchin

Postby lackattack on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:55 am

JoshyBoy wrote:Don't mean to moan but why are the cards and settings at the top of the screen? I can't see them when taking a turn now. :?

There is logic behind the changes, folks. The clock is now closer to the action panel so that you are more likely to notice if you are running out of time. Game settings and spoils which don't really change in the middle of your turn should not be sandwiched between the map and the action panel - that would just make you scroll more during your turn.

Please give change a chance. If people are still unhappy in January I'll try my best to address your concerns. I made side stats an option because I try to listen and address your concerns but it is hard to please everyone when it comes to aesthetics & user interface.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby alster on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:56 am

Kalano Sanchin wrote:They new layouts fine, people just seem to be scared of change. You can move the statistics which were on the bottom to the side and ten theres no problems.

The stats is not the issue. It's the "non-essential" information that was moved to the top that bothers most posters here. Thing is, you enter a game and then you want to see as much as possible without scrolling. The map and info on game type, cards, refresh button etc. you want right there with the map and the stats to the side. You get 95% of the info you need right there. Then you scroll down and check game log + chat before scrolling up to take your turn. Now, with the top toolbar, I find myself scrolling down to check the map, scroll up to check game type/cards etc., then up and down a few times before I got it all. If you have around 100 games going, you need to be sure what game settings the game you just entered has. And, most importantly, I haven't seen anyone complain about this info being clearly visible under right there under neath the map.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby alster on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:00 am

lackattack wrote:There is logic behind the changes, folks. The clock is now closer to the action panel so that you are more likely to notice if you are running out of time. Game settings and spoils which don't really change in the middle of your turn should not be sandwiched between the map and the action panel - that would just make you scroll more during your turn.

Please give change a chance. If people are still unhappy in January I'll try my best to address your concerns. I made side stats an option because I try to listen and address your concerns but it is hard to please everyone when it comes to aesthetics & user interface.

Ah... but there is no logic. Putting the stats on the side is a good option. I can imagine most people using that to avoid scrolling.

But, you created more scrolling putting the one row info stat on top of the map. Certain maps, e.g. Land and Sea and England is particularly problematic (top of Land and Sea just contains bonus info and England is very drawn out). Of course the actual game settings doesn't change mid turn, but neither do game log or game chat. But they do change between games. And trust me, if you have 100+ games going, you have to check these every single time you enter a new game. And it's just one row that now creates 2-3 extra scrollings per turn and game.
Gengoldy wrote:Of all the games I've played, and there have been some poor sports and cursing players out there, you are by far the lowest and with the least class.
Sergeant 1st Class alster

Postby Qwert on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:58 am

this is mine sugestion how layout can be improved

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104747&view=unread#unread
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby morleyjoe on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:08 am

The cards have to go to the bottom of the map. I hate to have to scroll up and down now to see the important info.
show: My CC
Major morleyjoe

Postby dividedbyzero on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:15 am

alstergren wrote:
Kalano Sanchin wrote:They new layouts fine, people just seem to be scared of change. You can move the statistics which were on the bottom to the side and ten theres no problems.

The stats is not the issue. It's the "non-essential" information that was moved to the top that bothers most posters here. Thing is, you enter a game and then you want to see as much as possible without scrolling. The map and info on game type, cards, refresh button etc. you want right there with the map and the stats to the side. You get 95% of the info you need right there. Then you scroll down and check game log + chat before scrolling up to take your turn. Now, with the top toolbar, I find myself scrolling down to check the map, scroll up to check game type/cards etc., then up and down a few times before I got it all. If you have around 100 games going, you need to be sure what game settings the game you just entered has. And, most importantly, I haven't seen anyone complain about this info being clearly visible under right there under neath the map.

You nailed this 100%. I typically have anywhere between 50-100 games going at any given time...and from the turns I've taken so far under the new change, it's scroll up, scroll down, scroll up, scroll down...

Having game type/settings and cards all in place above the stats/logs just made sense to me. I guess we'll see if enough people complain about the changes to merit changing them back.
Major dividedbyzero

Postby gannable on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:24 pm

nuclear spoils sounds interesting.

any chance for medals for the different spoils?
Lieutenant gannable

Postby natty dread on Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:26 pm

Wow, nifty updates, although I'd have liked an XML update more...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Magiw on Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:52 pm

I think the nuclear idea is great! Can't wait to try it out.

I agree with a lot of other feedback that I'm not a fan of the new info placement. Find it difficult to refer to. I'm open to something new if it is preferred over what we had before, but this isn't the option. Qwert is moving in the right direction, I'd have to see it in action to decide if it was more workable. I did like having everything in one area before so that I could see all stats/game info at once. Now I have to scroll up and down a lot from one game to the next and the clock is messed up on my screen.

I appreciate the option to move the player info to the side of the screen, helps to keep it out of the way.
Sergeant Magiw

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:01 pm

interesting... might have to try that out
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby impassive on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Thanks for giving some choice in the new changes. I much prefer the side stats to stats below, so it is great to have that option. And thanks for the effort to allow BOB to integrate smoothly.
Brigadier impassive

Postby Big Yuma Ripper on Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:02 pm

Way to much scrolling now.....I may have to sue CC for corpral tunnel in my wrist! lol Simple solution, put in a toggle button like you did for the side stats....new or original settings.

Nuclear Attack....might be fun? If anybody dont like it great thing is you dont have to play it...just more options ;)
Colonel Big Yuma Ripper

Postby sumyungdon on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:08 pm

I really like the idea of nuclear spoils - but in my opinion, you should not have updated the page layout - it was much better a few days ago. I now have to scroll all over the page just to do anything, it was much more convenient having the stats next to the player's names and the spoils under tha map. I understand a lot of people on CC have mixed feelings about this topic - perhaps there may be a way to have the option to customize your page layout? Like, without BOB and all - just standard option for the site?
Captain sumyungdon

Postby Falkomagno on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:38 pm

everything it's mix up..not clickable map...not BOB...the information is down is way to much better...pleaseĀ”Ā”Ā”help meĀ”Ā”
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby K-dub on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:12 pm

qwert wrote:this is mine sugestion how layout can be improved

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=104747&view=unread#unread

that is a great layout u have...i think we should go with that
Sergeant 1st Class K-dub

Postby Brann2006 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:21 pm

6168962, here is a great example on how nuclear works. Both enemy castles (which they had their stacks on) got nuked :D
Major Brann2006

Postby Falkomagno on Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:57 pm

lackattack wrote:
JoshyBoy wrote:Don't mean to moan but why are the cards and settings at the top of the screen? I can't see them when taking a turn now. :?

There is logic behind the changes, folks. The clock is now closer to the action panel so that you are more likely to notice if you are running out of time. Game settings and spoils which don't really change in the middle of your turn should not be sandwiched between the map and the action panel - that would just make you scroll more during your turn.

but for me, is a lot more of scrolling to see the type and setting of the game in the upper part...leave that information (not essencial is a harsh name) where it was, in the bottom part of the map.
Last edited by Falkomagno on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Falkomagno

Location: Even in a rock or in a piece of wood. In sunsets often

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:54 pm

Brann2006 wrote:6168962, here is a great example on how nuclear works. Both enemy castles (which they had their stacks on) got nuked :D

Linked!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby KingofExonia on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:19 pm

Just to chime in as well on the layout...
I don't mind the stats table being moved around, since you can easily shift it to the side in each individual game or for all games in "Game Settings." My concern, like many other people, is the incessant scrolling necessary to check spoils and "non-essentials" now that they are at the top. The point has been made time and time again and I think we will see come the end of January that people will still be clamoring for a switch back to the bottom....

As for the nuclear spoils, trying it right now, should be fun!
Corporal 1st Class KingofExonia

Postby murphy16 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Kalano Sanchin wrote:Murphy16, it adds more strategy to games that don't have noobs in it. Just start some private games and ask people who have completed a certain amount of games on nuclear or a certain amount of games in general to join. It adds some completely new strategies to the gameplay.

Quit sucking up to Lack and everyone who makes this site run. Honestly there is no strategy needed, just hope and pray that you get the territories that your opponents stacks are on. Oh yea also pray that your stack doesn't get nuked. Doesn't sound like a strategy to me at all. I am only 18 and have been on this site for 2 years, however, I have been playing risk since I was 10 and this new update has NO strategy needed.
Sergeant 1st Class murphy16

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:47 pm

murphy16 wrote:
Kalano Sanchin wrote:Murphy16, it adds more strategy to games that don't have noobs in it. Just start some private games and ask people who have completed a certain amount of games on nuclear or a certain amount of games in general to join. It adds some completely new strategies to the gameplay.

Quit sucking up to Lack and everyone who makes this site run. Honestly there is no strategy needed, just hope and pray that you get the territories that your opponents stacks are on. Oh yea also pray that your stack doesn't get nuked. Doesn't sound like a strategy to me at all. I am only 18 and have been on this site for 2 years, however, I have been playing risk since I was 10 and this new update has NO strategy needed.

Lucky for you there is nobody that is forcing you to play with nuclear spoils, eh? It's entirely optional, so if you don't like it, you don't have to deal with it. ;)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby murphy16 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:58 pm

Optimus Prime wrote:
murphy16 wrote:

Lucky for you there is nobody that is forcing you to play with nuclear spoils, eh? It's entirely optional, so if you don't like it, you don't have to deal with it. ;)

I was throwing my thoughts out there mate
Sergeant 1st Class murphy16

Postby karelpietertje on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:10 am

murphy16 wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
murphy16 wrote:

there is no need for throwing angry thoughts out here though, simply because there is no need for anger. Nobody is forcing you to play any game type.
Major karelpietertje

Postby Captain_Scarlet on Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:21 am

karelpietertje wrote:
murphy16 wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:
murphy16 wrote:

there is no need for throwing angry thoughts out here though, simply because there is no need for anger. Nobody is forcing you to play any game type.

murphy just because you are not enjoying this new feature don't criticize others because they do - its was suggested by a cramill (and lack acted on it) - just play what you enjoy - and I think you owe Kalano Sanchin an apology
Sergeant 1st Class Captain_Scarlet

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives