Conquer Club

Classic Map Revamped

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic Map Revamped

Postby mibi on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:12 am

love the title work!
Captain mibi

Postby jesterhawk on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:19 am

That looks awesome!!
P.R.Aquilone
pra.aquilone.me
Private 1st Class jesterhawk

Postby stahrgazer on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:58 am

I can't tell where Europe ends and Asia begins
Sergeant stahrgazer

Postby alstillman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:01 am

I like this map a lot, but it could be made a lot better by somehow making the different continents easier to tell apart. It is somewhat confusing, especially between asia and europe. Otherwise great work.
Major alstillman

Postby natty dread on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:08 am

How can anyone want shapes over this?? The thing was ugly! (no offense to the maker.)

=D> for new classic
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MartijnF on Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:26 am

natty_dread wrote:How can anyone want shapes over this?? The thing was ugly! (no offense to the maker.)

I love classic shapes for it's simplicity. I also like the fact it doesn't represent a map of countries, but something abstract instead. It takes away a lot of the distractions of a "real" map, so you can fully focus on the game itself.
Cadet MartijnF

Postby MrBenn on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:19 am

stahrgazer wrote:I can't tell where Europe ends and Asia begins

That's the joy of Eurasia!

What a way to finish off the year - many thanks to everybody who had an involvement with the revamp =D>
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Hatchman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:48 am

Great News!
Major Hatchman

Postby zimmah on Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:04 am

i'll almost miss the shapes, lol.

good job on the revamp
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby MajorRT on Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:57 am

FINALLY!!! and it does look "classic" !
Major MajorRT

Postby mikamoyo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:50 am

You turned an easy to look at easy to play board into complicated.I can understand some players maybe wanted a little change,but this isnt it.Without studying the board you cant make out borders and the crazy white lines everywhere are just a bad headache.I can live with the grid change since you moved it.So now i have to scroll down to write other players (because your monster grid that extends allthe way across the screen with 2inches between figures)rather than being able to play a whole game without touching it.You guys turned easy and comfortable into complicated.My brother has MS and his computer is voice activated,I think you made it so he cant even play anymore.Your going the wrong way!
Corporal 1st Class mikamoyo

Postby mikamoyo on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:53 am

Feel like im playing Chutes and Ladders with my child!
Corporal 1st Class mikamoyo

Postby skeletonboy on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:58 am

mikamoyo wrote:You turned an easy to look at easy to play board into complicated.I can understand some players maybe wanted a little change,but this isnt it.Without studying the board you cant make out borders and the crazy white lines everywhere are just a bad headache.I can live with the grid change since you moved it.So now i have to scroll down to write other players (because your monster grid that extends allthe way across the screen with 2inches between figures)rather than being able to play a whole game without touching it.You guys turned easy and comfortable into complicated.My brother has MS and his computer is voice activated,I think you made it so he cant even play anymore.Your going the wrong way!

If you were in the foundry to give suggestions, you could have asked for something different. Go to the bug reports/suggestions forum and ask for shapes as an option.

I doubt that any of the people that are complaining even looked in the foundry in the long time that it was being developed. If you dont look in the forums, dont complain when there's a change you dont like.
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby niMic on Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:25 pm

It looks nice, but it could easily be confusing for newbies. Some colour coding is needed.
Highest score: 3692
Highest rank: 17
General niMic

Postby impassive on Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:12 pm

skeletonboy wrote:
mikamoyo wrote:You turned an easy to look at easy to play board into complicated.I can understand some players maybe wanted a little change,but this isnt it.Without studying the board you cant make out borders and the crazy white lines everywhere are just a bad headache.I can live with the grid change since you moved it.So now i have to scroll down to write other players (because your monster grid that extends allthe way across the screen with 2inches between figures)rather than being able to play a whole game without touching it.You guys turned easy and comfortable into complicated.My brother has MS and his computer is voice activated,I think you made it so he cant even play anymore.Your going the wrong way!

If you were in the foundry to give suggestions, you could have asked for something different. Go to the bug reports/suggestions forum and ask for shapes as an option.

I doubt that any of the people that are complaining even looked in the foundry in the long time that it was being developed. If you dont look in the forums, dont complain when there's a change you dont like.

This is a terrible sentiment. CC members should be able to voice an opinion at any time, subject to forum rules. NOT to beat something to death, of course. But 'you snoozed, you lost' just doesn't cut it.
Brigadier impassive

Postby sully800 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:13 pm

impassive wrote:
skeletonboy wrote:

This is a terrible sentiment. CC members should be able to voice an opinion at any time, subject to forum rules. NOT to beat something to death, of course. But 'you snoozed, you lost' just doesn't cut it.

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome, but at this stage suggestions carry much less power than during the actual development of the thread. The revamp was announced across the entire site, and many members helped during the development process to give opinions and suggestions on how to improve the map. Once the community was satisfied with the development this was the product. I know that not everyone is willing/able to participate in the map making process, but that is truly the best way to help improve the maps that are being made. Just the same, I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism - it's impossible to please everyone, but it seems like most posters so far prefer the new map.
Major sully800

Postby Qwert on Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Good change,now its only left to remove 6 medals for creating disaster Clasic Art map,because for this map nobody deserve medal.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby impassive on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 pm

sully800 wrote:
impassive wrote:
skeletonboy wrote:

Opinions and suggestions are always welcome, but at this stage suggestions carry much less power than during the actual development of the thread. The revamp was announced across the entire site, and many members helped during the development process to give opinions and suggestions on how to improve the map. Once the community was satisfied with the development this was the product. I know that not everyone is willing/able to participate in the map making process, but that is truly the best way to help improve the maps that are being made. Just the same, I appreciate all comments and constructive criticism - it's impossible to please everyone, but it seems like most posters so far prefer the new map.

The difference being that two non-beta maps that some members are fond of were retired at the same time, replaced mid-game. That was a jolt that made some members perk up who otherwise wouldn't have payed any attention.
Brigadier impassive

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:36 pm

qwert wrote:Good change,now its only left to remove 6 medals for creating disaster Clasic Art map,because for this map nobody deserve medal.

Get over it.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby K-dub on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:54 pm

not bad at all...i like it...the lines can be a little crazy but it will take either a 2 year-old or a true idiot to getconfused over it...so i say congrats to the maker of this...u done pretty good!

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Sergeant 1st Class K-dub

Postby wacicha on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 pm

You could join the society but not list any games. email me
Major wacicha

Postby Doug Lindeman on Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:13 pm

Granted the Classic Shapes map was pathetic looking, it was better than this simplistic Classic map. I still prefer the World 2.1 map. The 2.1 map reminds me the most of the 1980's game that I grew up playing.
Cook Doug Lindeman

Postby danfrank on Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:19 pm

Doug Lindeman wrote:Granted the Classic Shapes map was pathetic looking, it was better than this simplistic Classic map. I still prefer the World 2.1 map. The 2.1 map reminds me the most of the 1980's game that I grew up playing.

your rediculous..classic is the original R,,, Map.. 2.1 if i remember correctly was only featured on the playstation version..
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby dyrtydog on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:44 am

danfrank wrote:
Doug Lindeman wrote:Granted the Classic Shapes map was pathetic looking, it was better than this simplistic Classic map. I still prefer the World 2.1 map. The 2.1 map reminds me the most of the 1980's game that I grew up playing.

your rediculous..classic is the original R,,, Map.. 2.1 if i remember correctly was only featured on the playstation version..

drunk again i see....happy new year :sick:
Lieutenant dyrtydog

Postby Vitani on Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:40 am

AndyDufresne wrote:
impassive wrote:
b00060 wrote:The new map is ok, but it should be added as an option, not replacing Classic Shapes. BRING BACK CLASSIC SHAPES!

I know the decision has been made, but I can't see the down side of keeping classic shapes and classic art available for play. I'll miss them.

The downside has been discussed in various other topics---since they all use the same game play, it creates multiple unnecessary entries for the server databases to keep track of. Streamlining everything into 1 map option is more efficient.

--Andy

Efficienty is never more important than usability. Classic-Shapes (while ugly) was simple, and a great way to learn how to play on CC. After reading this whole thread, I still think it should be brought back, even if it was a stat-less map or something like that.

PS. In the future, if you're going to change a core map like this again, may I recommend that you post a link on games which are being played on said map to the forum thread discussing the changes. I posted my feelings on the changes in the thread, but I can imagine many, many people come here to play, and never read the news or forums and you may upset many (paying!) customers (again).
Sergeant 1st Class Vitani

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives