Conquer Club

Circus Maximus [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Circus Maximus [Quenched]

Postby rocksolid on Sun May 21, 2006 6:43 pm

Before anyone says anything about my amazing graphics here, let me say this is just an image to help me describe what I'm talking about. Initially the idea was to make this a vinyl record, then a whirlpool or a black hole, which may be better ways to do it (especially spiral rather than circle), but right now the idea is Chariot Race a la Ben Hur. No continents or continent bonuses, and the basic game theme is you can only attack counterclockwise by making all territories one way attacks that way. You can attack directly counterclockwise, or counterclockwise and to the side one, but not directly to the side and not backwards, because your chariot is moving too fast to attack directly sideways...I'm not sure how the xml works on one-way borders, but I assume it means you can't fortify backwards either. I think it would be a unique game dynamic, anathema to many CC players but could be pretty exciting with escalating trade-ins...

Naming the territories might be a bit of a challenge (Turn 1, back stretch, turn 2, home stretch, and then mad numbering).
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Banana Stomper on Sun May 21, 2006 6:55 pm

I'm not sure how it would play, sounds very difficult to say the least, but the thought of the escalating cards...verrryyyy intriguing. in fact, it makes me smile. you can only win when your bonuses allow you to go all the way around in one turn. Haha, i'd like to see them play no cards here!
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Marvaddin on Sun May 21, 2006 6:57 pm

From the other topic, my idea about no bonuses map:
I dislike the idea because it removes an essential element of the game, so it decreases the strategy and at the other hand increases a lot and increase the influence of luck in the game... Got bad rolls, bye!! Its the same for no cards, it removes a fair element, so the strategy is much less interesting. If you dont gain a resource to motivate your moves, why move? Its better sit down and wait... no one want risk and get bad rolls.

Can you guys imagine a game in this map with no cards? Endless and boring, I believe.

In fact, max suggested already a map of Solar system with only one way routes, too... I believe something like that could be, at least, more interesting. The appeal of this race is very low to me... and with the lack of continents... maybe you could add appeal to the idea, because I would never play it as it is now. But I can be wrong, of course. What you guys think about?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Hoff on Sun May 21, 2006 6:59 pm

i really like the idea of no bonuses and all one way attacks. It sounds awesome to me. I really hope you make it.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Truman on Sun May 21, 2006 7:21 pm

It's not as hard as the other maps, and whoever wins will get the same amount of points as if he played any other maps.

A one-way map for each country is kind of hard, but the basic premise of the gameplay will draw point-seekers away from other games to this one, just to get more points through an easier path.

I think it's a monster that'll take over the other maps, and will be played more often than any other map on Conquer Club.

--Truman
Private Truman

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun May 21, 2006 7:29 pm

Many people know where I stand on 'Hokey Pokey' maps, where everyone moves in the same direction. Why not say instead of everyone moving counterclockwise, but using the example above, have the middle one move clockwise? You could change direction easier then, but doing so might make the whole notion of going in a certain direction for a long time a mute point, which is the base idea for a map. Perhaps if you added you can only change directions in the turning area or some other region, then that would keep the base you wanted, without having the Hokey Pokey rule.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby SMITH197 on Sun May 21, 2006 7:38 pm

to expand andy's idea, why not make a few more lanes and alternate the one way direction?

"Did you fortify New Guinea or are you just happy to see me?"
Corporal 1st Class SMITH197

Postby Jota on Sun May 21, 2006 8:41 pm

I think the "counterclockwise and to the side one" part of things would be a bit too confusing. Letting folks attack directly to the side wouldn't really break anything, I don't think, and it would be much easier to represent on the board.

I also agree with Andy and Smith about alternating directions. It'd be a little bit weird for the chariot theme, admittedly -- perhaps there's a similar theme it'd make more sense for? (Amusement park ride, maybe?) But it would make the gameplay more interesting, IMO. Plus, having more lanes like Smith said would make it possible to use slightly more interesting names, assuming each lane had an identifier beyond "Lane 1", etc.
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Marvaddin on Sun May 21, 2006 9:18 pm

Truman wrote:I think it's a monster that'll take over the other maps, and will be played more often than any other map on Conquer Club.

Oh, yeah, poor classic map :lol: :lol:
Major Marvaddin

Postby Jota on Sun May 21, 2006 9:29 pm

Truman wrote:It's not as hard as the other maps, and whoever wins will get the same amount of points as if he played any other maps.

Not as hard, huh? I'd personally be willing to wager that most of the people playing on this map will actually lose more often than they win!
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby qeee1 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:16 am

Jota wrote:
Truman wrote:It's not as hard as the other maps, and whoever wins will get the same amount of points as if he played any other maps.

Not as hard, huh? I'd personally be willing to wager that most of the people playing on this map will actually lose more often than they win!

Hah, yeah, it's the players that determine the difficulty.

I'm finding it hard to envision how this map would work... perhaps with some sort of continents it might.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby rocksolid on Mon May 22, 2006 9:52 am

The suggestions where there's lanes alternating directions sounds like a good idea to me for a map, like if you did a schematic of the gears of a clock or something, but like Jota's suggestion about side attacks, it wouldn't quite hit the aesthetic of game play that I'm looking for with this one. Probably a common strategy in that would be to never advance, but only attack side to side, and let dogfighters chasing each other around the track tire themselves out and leave tracks of 1-army territories to be picked off to build cards by those only attacking side-to-side. I really want the players to feel some sort of pursuit element, which I think would make the map more exciting even in a turn-based environment. Though I do agree it wouldn't be as easy to represent graphically, I think even the dimmest player would catch on by the first turn.

I'm also not that thrown by the fact that it would be a "hokey-pokey" map, nor by the fact that Andy has unfairly come up with a catchy name to belittle that map style :wink: - and I haven't heard his objections to them, or why they would hold in the case of a map where the whole point of the map is that everyone has to move in the same direction. In order to redirect that element of the discussion, I'm going to ask that people use the term "slipstream" instead of "hokey-pokey" because it flips the connotation in my favour. :)
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Pedronicus on Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 am

if you played this gane with cards set to escalting, do you get more armies each time or do you get a chariot with bigger, sharper, nastier spikes in the centre of your wheels?
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Postby max is gr8 on Mon May 22, 2006 11:50 am

O.K here's an idea

yellow lane can only attack one way counter clockwise
green lane can only attack one way clockwise
middle lane can attack any direction

To change lane you must be in the 3rd across country finishing line
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby fluffybunnykins on Mon May 22, 2006 5:45 pm

maybe you could only attack outwards on the curves? you, know like drifting... No continental bonuses, but maybe a bonus if you make it all the way round in one unbroken line?
I like anything different though!
Hmm, so where is that underground map???
:oops:
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 8:56 pm

I still like the idea of all one way attacks. side to side would be fine, but no bonus and all counter clockwise i think make for something completely different and yet still be fun and playable.
Sergeant Hoff

Chariot Race

Postby sfhbballnut on Mon May 22, 2006 9:06 pm

I love this idea. Its a brilliant theory that I would love to see put into action
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Hoff on Mon May 29, 2006 3:44 pm

I really like the idea of this map. It should be made.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Banana Stomper on Mon May 29, 2006 3:51 pm

I say DO IT! Its different. Make it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, no harm done. And i like the one direction only thing, i think it will be a lot of fun to play.

Postby haha on Mon May 29, 2006 4:24 pm

dont see the point
Brigadier haha

Postby rocksolid on Mon May 29, 2006 9:52 pm

Don't worry dudes, I haven't forgotten it. And haha, don't worry, the rumours about all players being forced to play it to keep membership are untrue.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Postby Banana Stomper on Mon May 29, 2006 10:29 pm

haha wrote:dont see the point

Its different

Postby Marvaddin on Tue May 30, 2006 12:15 am

Banana Stomper wrote:And i like the one direction only thing, i think it will be a lot of fun to play.

I agree with this. I really dont like the idea too much, but I believe that would be more interesting, and mainly different with one way... Without it... its the same, but without continents, what is bad. But I believe the map option in "create your game" page should warn this map is NOT for no cards games...
Major Marvaddin

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue May 30, 2006 5:50 am

Marvaddin wrote:this map is NOT for no cards games...

Very very true, a no cards game would go on for quite a while here.

Postby rocksolid on Tue May 30, 2006 11:21 am

I also agree. I wonder if that kind of advice could go in a disclaimer? I think it would be fine for Noobs with itchy attack buttons, but any sort of experienced player will just sit there and accumulate armies with no cards.
Lieutenant rocksolid

Next

Return to The Atlas