Conquer Club

The Fight for Alexander's Empire [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Fight for Alexander's Empire [Quenched]

Postby saaimen on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi guys,

I'm reviving this old thread for a small nitpick I just noticed... Maybe I'll only get 'nevermind'-s but I thought I could at least report it ;)

Byzantium, in the North of this map, is spelled as Byzanitium! The XML is fine though.
I think this is a really tiny change. Still, maybe not worth the effort.
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"
Sergeant 1st Class saaimen

Postby sm8900 on Fri May 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Help! Could you pleae move the troop number for India Inferior over to the left? I'm in game 4813747 right now, and we can't tell how many troops the red player has there! thanks!
Private sm8900

Postby nagerous on Fri May 15, 2009 1:07 pm

sm8900 wrote:Help! Could you pleae move the troop number for India Inferior over to the left? I'm in game 4813747 right now, and we can't tell how many troops the red player has there! thanks!

Are you sure? It clearly shows 11 on mine screen.
Captain nagerous

Postby Gilligan on Fri May 15, 2009 2:16 pm

nagerous wrote:
sm8900 wrote:Help! Could you pleae move the troop number for India Inferior over to the left? I'm in game 4813747 right now, and we can't tell how many troops the red player has there! thanks!

Are you sure? It clearly shows 11 on mine screen.

He's probably using color codes, therefore he can only see r1.
Captain Gilligan

Postby sm8900 on Mon May 18, 2009 4:19 pm

hmmm, good point. you're right. forgot about that. ok, i'll try turning them off. thanks.
Private sm8900

Postby saaimen on Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:39 am

saaimen wrote:Hi guys,

I'm reviving this old thread for a small nitpick I just noticed... Maybe I'll only get 'nevermind'-s but I thought I could at least report it ;)

Byzantium, in the North of this map, is spelled as Byzanitium! The XML is fine though.

No reactions?
ImageImage
Winner of "As Easy As 1, 2, 3! - Africa I", "Championship Series: British Isles",
"1v1 Battle to Rule Doodle Earth 2", "Connect 4 (Restarted)" and "Blind Fold Buddy - BeNeLux"

Postby saaimen on Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:36 am

Guys, I think a reaction is the least you could give me.
Doesn't anyone feel like changing Byzanitium into Byzantium?
ImageImage

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:12 pm

saaimen wrote:

No reactions?

If the XML had the spelling mistake, the change would be simple to amend. It's harder to alter an image... perhaps we'll get around to updating it at some point - but it's not on anybody's list of priorities ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Gilligan on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 pm

MrBenn wrote:
saaimen wrote:

No reactions?

If the XML had the spelling mistake, the change would be simple to amend. It's harder to alter an image... perhaps we'll get around to updating it at some point - but it's not on anybody's list of priorities ;-)

The XML could also be updated with Ptolomy (Or Ptolemy, not sure which one is correct)
Captain Gilligan

Postby Mr. K on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:34 am

The next time I hook up my old external HD i'll check to see if I have the necessary file laying around somewhere. If not, unfortunately I wont be able to change that spelling error :\
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby Mr. K on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Remarkably, I had the old photoshop files stashed away in a weird corner of my external HD. So, spelling fixed.

Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm

If you've found the PSD, would you be able to tweak the border of India Inferior so that 3-digit army numbers will fit in there?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Mr. K on Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:25 am

That would only require an XML tweak, no? If someone wants to go ahead and do that, be my guest, you officially have my permission. I personally don't want to spend too much time on that, though, especially considering that I can't see why anyone would ever choose to store a 3-digit army on India Inferior :?
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:24 pm

The coords could be shifted on the large map easily; but the small map could do with a slight tweak to the border of India Inferior, so that the 2-digit number won't look out of place or in the wrong territory. I've no problem with amending the XML - I just thought it would be an easy fix while you had access to the original PSD?

The reason we ask for 3-digit numbers to fit suitably, is to assist people who use the colourblind feature to help distinguish army counts, rather than fitting in massive armies in silly places ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Mr. K on Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:36 am

Just by inspecting the map, I have a feeling that the way I constructed it would mean that changing a border's shape would be a bit of a pain.

But maybe it'll be something to do on a rainy day. I'll keep it in mind.
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby saaimen on Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 am

Maybe in that case it's easier if you make the map a bit wider? You don't have to change borders that way, only continue them.

Or is this at max width already?
ImageImage

Postby the.killing.44 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Isn't this just a quick co-ord change, now that I look at it?

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Mr. K on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:27 am

Yeah, looks good to me the.killing. If someone wants to go ahead and edit that xml file, you have my blessing (and thanks).

[q]Maybe in that case it's easier if you make the map a bit wider? You don't have to change borders that way, only continue them.
[/q]
Actually, that'd be even more of a hassle :p
Lieutenant Mr. K

Postby iancanton on Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am

the xml file needs to be changed anyway to eliminate byzanitium and cyrenacia. on the map images, text needs to be changed from cyrenacia to cyrenaica.

incidentally, libya and cyrenaica appear to have swapped places from their relative positions when compared with this wikipedia map.

Click image to enlarge.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:07 pm

iancanton wrote:incidentally, libya and cyrenaica appear to have swapped places from their relative positions when compared with this wikipedia map.

Cyrenaica is and was a Libyan region. The zone represented on the alexander map as cyrenaica is only the northern part of this region. So it is obviously sorrounded by the libyan desert. I suppose that the author of the map you posted didn't find the free room to place the "libyans" text on the right side of the legend. ;)

This is a more accurate image of those places if it could help. (even if it represent those regions during the late period of Ptolemaic kingdom/beginning of the roman empire)

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Empress Wu on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Now that we're at it, there are a few more errors, apart from Byzantium and Cyrenaica:

Archosia to Arachosia
Persia to Persis (they're not the same)

Ptolomy to Ptolemy
Selucus to Seleucus
Selucus North to Seleucus North

I noted when I came to this thread that Seleucus North was split out from Seleucus during the early stages of the development of this map. Now, in real life, 2200 years ago, the "Seleucus North" region actually did split away from the Seleukid kings. Today, we know this break-away kingdom as Parthia. So perhaps Parthia would be a more inventive (and historically correct) name for that continent? Just an idea.
Captain Empress Wu

Postby Darkrider on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:06 am

Don't know why but I believe there is a bug in my game. Game is 10947953. On 2 different rounds I conquer Carmania from Persia and advance my armies to Carmania. But then I cant' attack from Carmania at all even tough I got plenty armies to do so. I can't click on i t and I can't select Carmania from the action bar.

Tx for ur time
Corporal Darkrider

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 am

Screenshot, also send to me via pm would be helpful if you are afraid about other players looking for you armies .it's a fog of war game i can't see things without a screenshoot
Btw you tried to attack in the same turn you took it? In this case read instruction and learn how trech option works. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Darkrider on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:57 pm

Doh!

I feel like stupid!
Thanks
Corporal Darkrider

Previous

Return to The Atlas