Conquer Club

BOB comments (old thread)

Archival storage to keep things organized and uncluttered. Can't find what you need? Search for old topics here.

Moderator: Tech Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: BOB 4.10.4

Postby josko.ri on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 am

Does Bob support possibility of automatic starting turn immediately after your opponent in freestyle games? for example, I was last playing player in last turn. can I make sure that my bonus troops will be received in full number when I come next time? or I must camping near my computer to catch my opponent to begin his turn?
Major josko.ri

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:48 am

josko.ri wrote:Does Bob support possibility of automatic starting turn immediately after your opponent in freestyle games? for example, I was last playing player in last turn. can I make sure that my bonus troops will be received in full number when I come next time? or I must camping near my computer to catch my opponent to begin his turn?

No, BOB doesn't play the game for you. :roll:
Major drunkmonkey

Postby sherkaner on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 am

drunkmonkey wrote:
josko.ri wrote:Does Bob support possibility of automatic starting turn immediately after your opponent in freestyle games? for example, I was last playing player in last turn. can I make sure that my bonus troops will be received in full number when I come next time? or I must camping near my computer to catch my opponent to begin his turn?

He's right. Wouldn't be terribly hard to do though if you left a browser window open.

yeti_c wrote:FYI - I've a feeling I coded Continents to work in Objectives when I originally coded Objectives...

Of course - I may have also not done it properly!!

C.

Hmm, you're talking about the new xml objectives I guess. Yeah, I'll check it soon (but for now there is no map having that afaik, so I can't test anyway).

Chuuuuck wrote:I thought of a suggestion that might make BOB a little better (it would for me).

I am not sure if anyone ever said this before and I don't want to read 30 pages to find out so I will just say it again.

Instead of showing the number of territories that you can SEE in BOB when playing in the fog. Why not show it as a fraction of # of territories you can compared to the total number of territories that player has.

Say a player has 8 total territories (obvious from the game log) and you can see 5 of them. Then BOB would read 5/8 under the territories column.

I know this is kind of lazy, but when you really think about it that is all BOB is for is to make things more convenient and easy since anything that is shown on BOB can be reasonably figured out by any player just looking at the board. This is the same sort of thing, would just make it a little easier.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. There are standard and extended stats.
In basic it's 0 [ 4 ], which doesn't differ a lot from 0/4. For extended it's 0 ( 0% ) [ 4 (5%) ]-, which I think is a bit long. Do you mean the extended, and would you like it changed to 0/4 (5%)-? I agree that would be a small improvement.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby josko.ri on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:45 am

drunkmonkey wrote:

but maybe BOB can only BEGIN turn for me, not play, if possible. (that s my suggestion)
so, maybe it is good to have possibility "immediately start turn". after my opponent starts his turn, then BOB start it for me if that option is turned on. when turn is started then I have 1 hour to finish it. it is not hard to check a game every 45 minutes, but it is hard to camping near computer in waiting for my opponent to begin.
Major josko.ri

Postby Namor on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm

josko.ri wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:

but maybe BOB can only BEGIN turn for me, not play, if possible. (that s my suggestion)
so, maybe it is good to have possibility "immediately start turn". after my opponent starts his turn, then BOB start it for me if that option is turned on. when turn is started then I have 1 hour to finish it. it is not hard to check a game every 45 minutes, but it is hard to camping near computer in waiting for my opponent to begin.

BOB is designed to take the drudgery out of counting terits etc. in the game log... once you start adding something like that (that can give you an advantage over your opponent), then it's a slippery slope towards a script that could play the whole game for you.
Colonel Namor

Postby Foxglove on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:22 pm

viewtopic.php?f=506&t=113964

I'm also having this issue: BOB won't finish "processing the log" on any of my Third Crusade games.
Brigadier Foxglove

Postby sherkaner on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 am

Yep, I'm at work so I won't be able to do something about it for the next 8 hours at least. But it probably has something to do with the new xml for objectives. I guess they adapted the XML for crusaders already.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby josko.ri on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 am

Namor wrote:
josko.ri wrote:
drunkmonkey wrote:

BOB is designed to take the drudgery out of counting terits etc. in the game log... once you start adding something like that (that can give you an advantage over your opponent), then it's a slippery slope towards a script that could play the whole game for you.

I dont agree. it will not give advantage to anybody, it will make game more fair because both players will get bonus that they deserve at the end of last round. without that option great advantage is present to the one who plays the first. first playing player will always have full bonus and steal other player his full bonus. i think it is real advantage, and my suggestion is to reduce that advantage and make game more fair. players with slower computers are very handicapped in situation like now in freestyle games, my suggestion would allow the players with slower computers to play freestyle games with equal chances for winning.
Major josko.ri

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 am

Keeping the bonus you had at the end of the turn without giving another player a chance to break it is not strategy. It's exploiting a loophole. If you want that crap added to the game, find another script to put it in. It won't be added to BOB.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby AndrewB on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:11 am

sherkaner wrote:Yep, I'm at work so I won't be able to do something about it for the next 8 hours at least. But it probably has something to do with the new xml for objectives. I guess they adapted the XML for crusaders already.

You are right, the XML was updated to include the Continents. I am an xml author for that map, and I was not aware of the change... :S
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby sherkaner on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:04 pm

josko.ri wrote:I dont agree. it will not give advantage to anybody, it will make game more fair because both players will get bonus that they deserve at the end of last round. without that option great advantage is present to the one who plays the first. first playing player will always have full bonus and steal other player his full bonus. i think it is real advantage, and my suggestion is to reduce that advantage and make game more fair. players with slower computers are very handicapped in situation like now in freestyle games, my suggestion would allow the players with slower computers to play freestyle games with equal chances for winning.

It was discussed before. Though it is not hard to implement (I do think some people have this 'feature'), this is where the people before me drew the line, and I agree.
(Btw, it is usually requested for Clickable Maps. Somehow it fits better there.)
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Army of GOD on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:36 pm

Ah! It keeps blinking "Update Available", and I've tried clicking it and re-installing BOB. What the Hell?
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby ender516 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Once you install the update, click F5 to refresh the page, and it should show "Latest Version Installed". At least, it did for me. I think, though, that this used to be automatic.

EDIT: Sorry, I actually had to use Ctrl-F5. I remembered this when I got to a different machine and had to go through this again.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Dako on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:44 am

Is it only me, or BOB menu hovering doesn't change background color and text color? Also, same for newly added snapshots.
Colonel Dako

Postby ender516 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 am

It's not just you.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Big Whiskey on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 am

Can anyone show me where to get an older version of BOB?This new one keeps Initializing BOB!
General Big Whiskey

Postby Dako on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:35 am

Big Whiskey wrote:Can anyone show me where to get an older version of BOB?This new one keeps Initializing BOB!

Install old BOB
Colonel Dako

Postby Namor on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Snapshots not working... anybody else with the same issue?

Firefox/3.6.3
Vista

EDIT, I tried going back to 4.10.4, but still can't take a snap. I'm able to view old ones.
Colonel Namor

Postby Dako on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Namor wrote:Snapshots not working... anybody else with the same issue?

Firefox/3.6.3
Vista

EDIT, I tried going back to 4.10.4, but still can't take a snap. I'm able to view old ones.

Are you sure you cannot take them? Error showing up? Because I can take them - but no animation shows up. They are pop into snapshot list silently.
Colonel Dako

Postby sherkaner on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm

I'm able to take them too (and I didn't notice the loss of animations/hover effects until now :().
Colonel sherkaner

Postby Namor on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:45 pm

No I definitely can't snap, I'm clicking the button and absolutely nothing happens (like the button is as dead as any blank spot on the page).

No error report and refreshing makes no difference.

I can view old snaps and if I try taking a new one whilst viewing an old one, then the 'Take Snapshot' button acts like the 'Revert to live' button.
Colonel Namor

Postby mikkel on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:27 pm

I cannot take shapshots either, really annoying!
Colonel mikkel

Postby sherkaner on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:32 pm

I did not make changes in the part of the script this seems to occur (judging from Namor's remarks). So I don't know how to solve it at the moment.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby sherkaner on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Ow wait, I came up with something else. Could you reinstall and try whether it works now?
Colonel sherkaner

Re: BOB 4.10.5

Postby Namor on Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:29 pm

Affraid not, sher.

Since 4.10.4 isn't working either, could it be to do with Firefox?
Colonel Namor

PreviousNext

Return to Tool Archives