Conquer Club

Who are the conservative intellectuals?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Who are the conservative intellectuals?

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm kind of bothered by this question. I guess it started for me when David Frum got the kick, but since then I've seen other major conservative thinkers (who, I should say, I disagree with) get the boot for really poor reasons.

A question for conservatives- who really still stands out as an intellectual, or as a genuine expert?

I'm not looking for someone I can agree with, but I'm not looking for Beck either. Any recommendations?

[Edit] My OP was pretty vague. I'm looking for credible conservative commentators and experts outside of the forum.
Last edited by Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Who are the conservative intellectuals?

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:14 pm

never mind... lol
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby bradleybadly on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:15 pm

My dad liked to read William F. Buckley, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley,_Jr.
Lootifer wrote:I earn well above average income for my area, i'm educated and I support left wing politics.

jbrettlip wrote:You live in New Zealand. We will call you when we need to make another Hobbit movie.
Corporal bradleybadly

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:17 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:The closest I could come to would be greekdog, but he is only conservative on some issues.

I have a serious amount of respect for Thegreekdog, but I really meant in the wider world, outside of the forums.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:18 pm

bradleybadly wrote:My dad liked to read William F. Buckley, Jr.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_F._Buckley,_Jr.

I'm pretty sure he's dead, but I guess I was pretty vague in my OP, so it's on me. Anyone current who is worth looking into?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 pm

Warren Buffet? (is he a conservative really??)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:27 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Warren Buffet? (is he a conservative really??)

I've not read anything by him, but I'm pretty sure he was a Democrat in the last election, at least in terms of financial support.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Hands Down, Ron Paul. And if you really want to see the roots, you can try looking into the philosophy of objectivism. If you are looking into these for a weakness, don't bother, there aren't any except for one....
Major Phatscotty

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:52 pm

Phatscotty wrote:Hands Down, Ron Paul. And if you really want to see the roots, you can try looking into the philosophy of objectivism. If you are looking into these for a weakness, don't bother, there aren't any except for one....

Ok- I've had a quick look around and not seen much that he's written. Although there's a lot written about him. I've heard him come up a lot, but always as a very marginal candidate.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby spurgistan on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:54 pm

Ross Douthat can be a nice read.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm

spurgistan wrote:Ross Douthat can be a nice read.

Cheers- I've come across his stuff a bit before, but not really followed him. I'll take a look.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Woodruff on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Symmetry wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:The closest I could come to would be greekdog, but he is only conservative on some issues.

I have a serious amount of respect for Thegreekdog, but I really meant in the wider world, outside of the forums.

Oh...I made the same mistake that PLAYER did, because of your phrase "For conservatives on this forum".

Outside of this forum, I've always liked George Will a fair amount. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm a monster baseball fan too, though.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

Oh...I made the same mistake that PLAYER did, because of your phrase "For conservatives on this forum".

Outside of this forum, I've always liked George Will a fair amount. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm a monster baseball fan too, though.

Ah yeah- that was pretty crap phrasing by me looking back at it. I'll edit.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 pm

I cannot think of any, but then, I cannot think of any real liberals, either.. except maybe Ralph Nadar.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:30 pm

... Let me second George Will. He is Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck's polar opposite in terms of style.

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby GabonX on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:I cannot think of any, but then, I cannot think of any real liberals, either.. except maybe Ralph Nadar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibsP6XN2dIo
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby spurgistan on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:35 pm

He's a good writer and all, but I've found George Will to be one of the more brazenly elitist people I've read. And that includes Arianna Huffington. His last piece bordered on class warfare.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby GabonX on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Symmetry wrote:I'm kind of bothered by this question. I guess it started for me when David Frum got the kick, but since then I've seen other major conservative thinkers (who, I should say, I disagree with) get the boot for really poor reasons.

A question for conservatives- who really still stands out as an intellectual, or as a genuine expert?

I'm not looking for someone I can agree with, but I'm not looking for Beck either. Any recommendations?

[Edit] My OP was pretty vague. I'm looking for credible conservative commentators and experts outside of the forum.

The problem with your question is that you would likely discount any conservative as being an intellectual because of their views.

The same thing which makes them conservative would likely discount them from being an intellectual..
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
Captain GabonX

Postby Timminz on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Like Glen Beck.
Captain Timminz

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 pm

GabonX wrote:
Symmetry wrote:I'm kind of bothered by this question. I guess it started for me when David Frum got the kick, but since then I've seen other major conservative thinkers (who, I should say, I disagree with) get the boot for really poor reasons.

The problem with your question is that you would likely discount any conservative as being an intellectual because of their views.

The same thing which makes them conservative would likely discount them from being an intellectual..

That's a pretty big conclusion to make, and I can only say that I don't think my views are as fixed as you think they are. I don't consider people I disagree with to be stupid. Their arguments, sometimes, yes. But I think you take a step too far if you really think I equate conservatism with stupidity and vice-versa.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby GabonX on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:45 pm

I thought Glenn Beck was a comedian now :lol:
Captain GabonX

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:47 pm

GabonX wrote:I thought Glenn Beck was a comedian now :lol:

Is he still on a news channel? Or did he switch to a comedy channel?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby GabonX on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:57 pm

Symmetry wrote:
GabonX wrote:

That's a pretty big conclusion to make, and I can only say that I don't think my views are as fixed as you think they are. I don't consider people I disagree with to be stupid. Their arguments, sometimes, yes. But I think you take a step too far if you really think I equate conservatism with stupidity and vice-versa.

With the number of conservative thinkers out there, and the fact that you've stated you can't find any "intellectuals" among them, it's really the only conclusion to draw.

Symmetry wrote:

He has been on tour as a comedian, but I digress..

It's amazing to me that people think the network a show is on is somehow more important than content of the show.
Captain GabonX

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:58 pm

What is Oprah?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:01 pm

GabonX wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
GabonX wrote:

With the number of conservative thinkers out there, and the fact that you've stated you can't find any "intellectuals" among them, it's really the only conclusion to draw.

Symmetry wrote:

He has been on tour as a comedian, but I digress..

It's amazing to me that people think the network a show is on is somehow more important than content of the show.

Everything is easier when immersed in ignorance
Major Phatscotty

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,