Conquer Club

Should mods be able to hide?

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Should mods gain all the rights and responsibilities and still be able to hide online presence?

Yes, they should be able to maintain their privacy and stay hidden!
62%
No, they accepted privileges AND RESPONSIBILITIES and should accessible to players to help them and should not be hidden from people needing their help!
38%

Total votes : 66

Re: Should mods be able to hide?

Postby darth emperor on Wed May 19, 2010 1:22 pm

jefjef wrote:
darth emperor wrote:Well I agree with them if they want to hide they can hide. I mean if you need something just pm to the right mod (in this case one of this one memberlist.php?mode=group&g=193009) and wait doesn't matter if they are online....is not something that you need them to do RIGHT NOW... you can wait few hours (at least 24 hours or even 48 hours just in case that mod didnt connect for x reasons).If after a few hours no response then just ask another and finish.

I mean who tells you that if you can see if they are online,and you pm them when are online they are going to do right now? I dont think it would change in any way that you can see their status...maybe they have log in just to see the turns or just for a concrete reason...and even if you send them 1000 messages...when the correspondent mod can.. he'll do as simple as that

Well darth.

There have been several instances where multi's have been created and bigotry and racism and flames were posted all over the place.

I personally had attempted to contact "online" mods to alert them to it.

Well if you don't know who's online than it's a bit tough to get things accomplished.

SIMPLE AS THAT!

Well...how many times happens that?? I don't say that there will be urgent things that requires imediat responses, but the majority of things can wait a litte
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby ljex on Wed May 19, 2010 1:31 pm

AoN, if this should ever arise in the future just pm all the discussion mods. I for one would not mind and im sure your thread would be locked in a timely manner if you take this approach.

As for the hiding of their online status, mods should be able to do this. There are mods that play casual freestyle where it is a tactical advantage to hide you online status thus they should have every right to do so like any other user. I for one dont hide my online status anymore because I have stopped playing casual freestyle however would definitely want to have the ability to if i were ever to return to that game type. Also I feel some of the different types of mods would get bombarded with pm's. For example tournament directors getting pm's from users wanting tournament privileges or their tournament to be moved to complete so they can get their medal.
Major ljex

Postby barterer2002 on Wed May 19, 2010 1:54 pm

JoshyBoy wrote:I'm always here for anyone who has any questions.

Cheers, JB ;)

Now there is a can of worms waiting to be opened.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Premier2k on Wed May 19, 2010 1:56 pm

I rarely get involved in discussions such as this but I have to say on this instance I fully agree with AoN. I don't see why mods need to hide? If we need a mod then we should be able to see if a particular mod is online or not. Whether they want to immediately answer us is a separate issue....

If a member of CC has accepted responsibility to become a mod then they should not be able to hide away. What's the point of being a mod? If you are online and logged into CC then as a mod you should be seen.
There are a few mods around here where I get the impression they like the power but dodge the responsibility, (and no, I'm not naming names).

One of the arguments for remaining hidden is so they are not bombarded with requests. I don't see how this is valid, sure, if a mod is online I can bombard him with PM's, but if a mods status is hidden I can still bombard him with PM's anyway! So it's not really a valid argument.

Again, I reitarate that whether or not a mod responds to a PM or request immediately is up to them and reserved for a separate discussion.

Premier2k
Cadet Premier2k

Postby Kinnison on Wed May 19, 2010 1:57 pm

I see no reason a mod should not be able to hide their status.

They play on the site as well. Sometimes they need a chance to catch up on games, or may have only 5 minutes, and are attempting to check on a tournament, or a clan...

Anything on the forums, the links to the mod groups are at the top of every page for that forum. PM someone. If it's an emergency, PM someone online. If it's an emergency, and no one APPEARS to be online, PM EVERYONE. (just for a REAL emergency)

As for everyone being unhidden and not overloaded... Nah, chaos theory. One person will get waves of traffic/messages. And given Murphy's law, it will be the one on short time, of course.

Now... EXAMPLE: if there was some way to send to a PM queue for "Global Mod", and the first global mod got informed there are (say) 19 messages for GMods in the Queue... they could start at the top, take care of, say, the 12 they had time to do... the next GMod on would get the next 7, plus whatever had been added in the meantime... and so on. -But this would require a custom Forum be coded, I'm pretty sure there's no way to handle this with the current software.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby AgentSmith88 on Wed May 19, 2010 1:58 pm

I doubt whatever you needed help with needed IMMEDIATE help. It would be nice if every mod was available all the time, but since they are volunteers I'm not going to get up in arms if they stay hidden. They volunteer to give some of their time, if they want to spend some "off" time cruising around hidden on CC I say let them.
king sam wrote:quit facebook stalking me... and Im a sailor all I do is drunk, cuss and make illegitimate kids when Im away from CC

dont sig that
Captain AgentSmith88

Postby Chuuuuck on Wed May 19, 2010 2:23 pm

More importantly, did you know the results of most polls are complete crap and skewed by the party asking the poll to try to appear in favor of their argument? In your fine example you made sure to bold your opinion as to highlight and try to get others to agree, which makes the poll bias and unreliable.

The funny part is the votes still obviously favor that the mods can hide if they want to. :lol:
Captain Chuuuuck

Postby darth emperor on Wed May 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Premier2k wrote:I don't see why mods need to hide? If we need a mod then we should be able to see if a particular mod is online or not. Whether they want to immediately answer us is a separate issue....

Ok then why players need to hide? If we need a players then we should be able to see if a particular players is online or not.Wheter they want to immediately answer us is a separate issue...

Premier2k wrote:Again, I reitarate that whether or not a mod responds to a PM or request immediately is up to them and reserved for a separate discussion.

Then why you need them to be online to conact them...the only reason that I see that you need to see if a mod is online is because you need an inmediat response...but if you don't care if they responds immediately or not then you can ask to a offline mod...or to an hide mode...
Sergeant 1st Class darth emperor

Postby Bones2484 on Wed May 19, 2010 3:44 pm

jefjef wrote:Well darth.

There have been several instances where multi's have been created and bigotry and racism and flames were posted all over the place.

I personally had attempted to contact "online" mods to alert them to it.

Well if you don't know who's online than it's a bit tough to get things accomplished.

SIMPLE AS THAT!

Because every mod has the ability to moderate the entire forum and ban multis, right?
Major Bones2484

Postby Evil Semp on Wed May 19, 2010 3:54 pm

I think everyone is forgetting that this is an online gaming site. What can happen here that really needs to be addressed right away? What kind of emergency needs immediate attention? I can't think of to many. So in my opinion it comes down to the fact that someone wants something done immediately. I think we should make the effort to be seen as well as heard.

That being said I think we should have the right to hide our status even though I don't hide mine. So if anybody has questions I have answers, they might be the wrong answers but I do have answers.
Lieutenant Evil Semp
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Wed May 19, 2010 4:00 pm

I have mine hidden most of the time (in fact, almost all the time) because a lot of the time I am logged into the site I'm at work. So, although I stay logged in my entire shift, I'm on and off the website and don't want to create a false impression that I am here when I am not.

So, for me it's not a sense of not wanting extra work, but putting the community first. If someone PMs me wanting an immediate response because my status shows online, I find it unfair to them that they have to wait because I am not actually "here".
Gilligan wrote:I'M SO GOOD AT THIS GAME
My stepmom locked the bathroom door
So I opened the lock with my shoelace
Corporal 1st Class The Fuzzy Pengui

Postby jefjef on Wed May 19, 2010 4:32 pm

At this exact moment there is not a single mod shown as online. :?

In total there are 1018 users online :: 877 registered, 72 hidden and 69 guests
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Night Strike on Wed May 19, 2010 4:34 pm

jefjef wrote:At this exact moment there is not a single mod shown as online. :?

Masli is visible, Fuzzy just made a post in a public forum, and I am making this post.
Major Night Strike

Postby jefjef on Wed May 19, 2010 4:36 pm

Night Strike wrote:

Masli is visible, Fuzzy just made a post in a public forum, and I am making this post.

As of now I see masli.
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Scott-Land on Wed May 19, 2010 4:46 pm

They have a right to hide their online status-- don't forget they are a player first or something like that. With that being said, we should have a right to place them on ignore / foe list but that doesn't seem to be the case. Go figure.....
Major Scott-Land

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 19, 2010 4:50 pm

I think a compromise is warranted.

A mod should have to be visible for a certain amount of time.

Ideally, there should be at least one present "always". However there might be times when that's not possible.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Wed May 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Scott-Land wrote:They have a right to hide their online status-- don't forget they are a player first or something like that. With that being said, we should have a right to place them on ignore / foe list but that doesn't seem to be the case. Go figure.....
With one of the latest forum updates lack hacked the code to make it able to foe mods (and admins, I believe).

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed May 19, 2010 5:41 pm

The Fuzzy Pengui wrote:
Scott-Land wrote:They have a right to hide their online status-- don't forget they are a player first or something like that. With that being said, we should have a right to place them on ignore / foe list but that doesn't seem to be the case. Go figure.....
With one of the latest forum updates lack hacked the code to make it able to foe mods (and admins, I believe).

Wouldn't that make issuing warnings a bit difficult?
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 19, 2010 5:53 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:Ive tried to find a discussion mod like all day. They all hide, no help.

I don't believe I received a pm from you.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby elfish_lad on Wed May 19, 2010 6:59 pm

I voted "yes." I personally can't think of a single thing I would need an immediate response to from a Mod. On this site or any other. Or a single reason I would have to know their online status.

I just assume that a bunch of them are around doing super secret mod things all the time.

It is an interesting question though.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby edwinissweet on Wed May 19, 2010 7:11 pm

Down with the establishment
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed May 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Here's my two cents.

Yes, we agreed to help in the forums. But we are a player first. There are 54 mods in total, Yes, but essentially only so many mods can do so much in each forum. But say we are in a speed game, and don't want to be bothered at the moment. So why can't we hide our online status, and focus on that game? We aren't all "hiding" so we don't get logged with PM's. But say we are online, you message us, we ignore it for now, and want to get to it later. I bet you that some members will think we are ignoring them or didn't get the PM, and start sending more and more to that mod. Not every moderator can lock a thread in every forum. . You are basically taking the right away from us, as a CC member, to hide our status.

Sure, it seems unfair that moderators can hide, but why should any other CC member get to, when we can't?
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby lord voldemort on Wed May 19, 2010 8:29 pm

i was online at the time of this post....

it just comes down to knowing who to pm....there are a handful of mods....who are on here pretty much all the time.
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby The Fuzzy Pengui on Wed May 19, 2010 8:30 pm

lord voldemort wrote:i was online at the time of this post....

it just comes down to knowing who to pm....there are a handful of mods....who are on here pretty much all the time.
*ahem* *raises hand* 8-[

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed May 19, 2010 8:34 pm

*Raises hand* Hurray for having no life? 8-[
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

PreviousNext

Return to Archived Suggestions