Conquer Club

[GL] Playback/Replay/Rewind/Review/History Game Feature

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Replay Function

Postby Tezu on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I think it's a great idea, which would let players analyze their games and become better players...
Lieutenant Tezu

Postby scyang on Wed May 05, 2010 11:27 pm

+1 for replay function. could make it click-by-click so you could step through every action of the game.
Cook scyang

Postby riskpooh on Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 pm

+1 from me too, would love a round-by-round replay feature
Lieutenant riskpooh

Postby edwinissweet on Thu May 06, 2010 1:30 am

This could be interesting. I know that it would help alot with Clans for challenges.
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby scyang on Sun May 09, 2010 10:38 pm

any chance we could get the ball rolling on this? what would the first step be?
Cook scyang

Postby edwinissweet on Sun May 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Community support. Best way to get something moving is through support. Advertise it to your CC friends, invite people in your games to check out the suggestion forum. Without spam ofcourse
Lieutenant edwinissweet

Postby Blinkadyblink on Tue May 11, 2010 12:04 am

I think this looks good. I'd like to see some of the gameplay suggestions done first, but this would be great to have eventually (hopefully sometime this decade)
Major Blinkadyblink

Postby Deadly intent on Wed May 12, 2010 9:27 am

DeadCenter wrote:Suggestion: replay function.

Specifics: The GAME LOG is great, but a replay button would be more sophisticated and more pleasing to the eyes. Games you can use as a template as to what I am talking about (use for an example if you will) are Age of Wonders & more especially Age of Wonders II. These games offer simplified, condensed replay sequences of battles between opposing armies. As this is a lower graphic game (compared to AoW2 at least) it could be even more simple.

This will improve the following aspects of the site: will improve the ease with which players on a map can view what transpired on the previous turns. It is also helpful to learn strategy from others- whether viewing your own game, previous games or games others have played independently of the player viewing.

Another way that this tool would be most useful, is for FOW games where you suspect player/players of being a multi in a game or having a secret alliance.
You could actualy see with your own eyes where those players have deployed/attacked/defended each other throughout the entire game,making it so much simplier to spot if you were to smell a rat.
I believe this could also deter cheating aswell,as it would also make investigating it a whole lot easier for the mods
Major Deadly intent

Postby Monsterblood on Wed May 19, 2010 12:29 pm

I was just about to suggest the same idea but decided to search first. Yeah definitely agree that a replay button is absolute necessary as it helps you see the action unfold and gives you an insight of the whole game. I have dicewars before this...which is an even more simple based game as this is and yet it had such a convenient replay button called 'History' which played the whole scenario effectively. Dicewars is a single player game btw -

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/dice/dice.html
Sergeant 1st Class Monsterblood

Rewind - Way to see what happened between turns

Postby NormalGuy on Fri May 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Specifics:
  • Allow me to SEE what armies were deployed, what territories were attacked, etc. Show me the dice rolls too.
  • Obviously, this would only apply to non-fog games
  • It would be a supplement to the game log which doesn't give a full telling of what occurred between your turns

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • Basically, it increases transparency about what happened since your last turn. Sometimes, it is days between turns, and it would help if there was a way for me to review other players' actions before I take my turn.
  • It would be cool if you could see deployment as well as attacks.
  • It will also benefit strategy when it LOOKS like one of your teammates or competitors "did nothing" when, in fact, they deployed and just lost their forces thanks to some unlucky dice.
Sergeant 1st Class NormalGuy

Re: Rewind - Way to see what happened between turns

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 pm

Various 'replay' suggestions have come around, though I think the majority of them involve replaying the entirety of a game after it has been finished and archived.

It would be a nice strategy add on to see what happened in real time from past turns while in game, though I'm not sure how feasible it is.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby -=- Tanarri -=- on Fri May 28, 2010 12:29 pm

I believe the problem that's always existed in implementing these suggestions has been that Game Log 2.0 hasn't been implemented yet. From what little I've read about it, I believe some of the planned additions would allow for the replaying of games or turns.
Captain -=- Tanarri -=-

Postby TheForgivenOne on Fri May 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Merged
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Re: [Merged] Replay Option

Postby dboeke on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:07 pm

What is the status of Log 2.0? This thread seems to imply that it is imminent, but it is also 18 months old. After losing 90% of speed games to people who farm idiosyncrasies of specific maps, I would love to replay what went down. I don't mind if I need to use an addon, just give me the option to download a detailed game log with troop counts at the end of the game.

David
Corporal dboeke

Re: Replay Button

Postby Dako on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:33 am

yeti_c wrote:
antony.trupe wrote:It'd be possible to parse the combat log and recreate the game(minus 100% accuracy on the number of armies).
Sounds like a good community contributed mod. *wink*

We already have the "Handy Game History" script - although I am unsure if it still works correctly at present...

However - once Game Log 2.0 comes out - then a full replay system would be available as an add-on script...

Which would be awesome!!

C.

Handy script is now working. But that is max what can be done with current log - no armies, no failed attacks, no nukes.
Colonel Dako

Postby nameless nemesis on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:34 am

yes this idea would greatly enhance an already excellent site all i can say is do it do it do it
Sergeant nameless nemesis

Postby Arama86n on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm

=D> =D> =D>

This is a brilliant (albeit not original) idea.
I've countless times wished that this feature was in existence, and would undoubtedly use it a LOT.
Major Arama86n

Postby tkr4lf on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:02 pm

I agree 100%, it would be a great addition.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Empress Wu on Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm

Great Idea! :idea: I've thought about this too.
Captain Empress Wu

Postby TheSaxlad on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:01 am

This is available through the bob snapshot isn't it?

Sorry to be the crasher at the party... ;)
Image Caution: playing team games with TheSaxlad can lead to shortness of breath, high blood pressure and other-stress related illnesses!

Visit CC on Facebook and Twitter!
Corporal TheSaxlad

Postby rdsrds2120 on Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:56 pm

If not through the bob snapshot, then through the Handy Game History add-on.

We won't ever be able to record dice rolls, therefore we won't be able to record how many troops were where. As far as I'm concerned, Handy Game History does this sufficiently and no sitewide implementation is required, and since there is an add-on to do this, this is being moved to Rejected, thank you very much. Have a good day -

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Post-game replays.

Postby Capt.Mainwaring on Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:37 pm

After playing a few games, i have really enjoyed reading through the logs to think about strategies for future games. I was wondering if there would be any sort of possibility of there being someone of making a kind of replay facility to actually watch what happened on the map. Often things can be missed between turns and in fog of war games you are completely unable to see what actually happened elsewhere on the map. Obviously this function would only be available after the game has reached it's end for all players.

If anyone has played the Civilization series of games, I was thinking something akin to the end of game highlights would be extremely helpful. For those of you who haven't, it would basically consist showing all regions of the map and then playing through each go in turn but at an accelerated rate (with a pause option?). I'm not sure how hard this would be as i'm no computer programmer, but I could see it being a incredibly useful tool, as well as being quite entertaining also. What do you think?
Colonel Capt.Mainwaring

Re: Post-game replays.

Postby Muzzel on Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:34 am

I was just thinking the same thing myself when I found your post. I think it's a great idea and I hope someone does design one.
Sergeant Muzzel

Postby nebsmith on Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:45 pm

On first thought I really liked this idea, but then I realised that I wouldn't want any current or future opponents looking at my old games to see how I played in fog or what strategies I was using on some of the more complex maps.

So while I agree it could be a good teaching tool, I don't think I would want my past games available for analysis by my opponents.
Sergeant nebsmith

Postby Capt.Mainwaring on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:31 pm

yeah i do see what you mean. it could maybe be a selectable option when setting up the game. alternatively it could only be available on non fog-of-war games so secret strategies would have been able to be seen throughout the game. my personal choice would be different however, and allow post game replays to only be seen by players of that actual game, after all, if they haven't paid attention in the game then they won't be paying much attention to the replay afterwards either.
Colonel Capt.Mainwaring

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions