Conquer Club

The Conquer 500

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Conquer 500 - Back From The Dead

Postby iancanton on Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:36 am

dolomite13 wrote:I was going with holding 1 tools and 1 jack gets +2 ... if you hold all jacks all 3 tools you would get +6 I did this because those two equipment can't bombard car conditions.

that's what i thought. in the legend, u can make it clearer by using a + or & instead of a /.

dolomite13 wrote:Holding 1 tires + 1 engine + 1 fuel gets +3. If you hold all 9 you would get +9. Holding all pit equipment would get you +15... if this seems like too much then I would drop holding one of each (fuel, tires, engine) to +1 because they are strategic positions to bombard car conditions.

+3 for every set of tires + engine + fuel seems fine. it'll be difficult to hold this bonus. the main value of these regions is, as u say, to bombard the car conditions.

dolomite13 wrote:Increasing the central track location to 3 neutral to start and giving it an autodeploy 2 would guarantee units on the track side. Holding a complete track segment should still give you a bonus although increasing that to +2 per segment would also give you incentive to go for the track...

sounds good.

dolomite13 wrote:I want the pits side to support conquering the track side so that you can "win" the race and bombard the remaining competition out of the race. It might be worth investigating having the winners circle only accessible from the track rather than from the pits and add a neutral 10 "pit row" location that crews can assault and then bombard the track. What ya think?

this will make it much easier for the pit crews to bombard the track (but not win the game directly by this means, since the pit row cannot bombard the pit crew), so the winner's circle will probably be used only after the pit row bombardment has removed the opposition from the track. something doesn't feel quite right about this, though i can't think what. u can try it and see.

ian. :)
Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:02 pm

iancanton wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:I want the pits side to support conquering the track side so that you can "win" the race and bombard the remaining competition out of the race. It might be worth investigating having the winners circle only accessible from the track rather than from the pits and add a neutral 10 "pit row" location that crews can assault and then bombard the track. What ya think?

this will make it much easier for the pit crews to bombard the track (but not win the game directly by this means, since the pit row cannot bombard the pit crew), so the winner's circle will probably be used only after the pit row bombardment has removed the opposition from the track. something doesn't feel quite right about this, though i can't think what. u can try it and see.

The one thing I would like to avoid is having someone completely eliminated from the game entirely by loosing all track locations and no way to get back in the race. A Pit row location would allow you to "get back in a race". Perhaps pit row could be 20 neutral, resetting to 20 neutral, and assault the track locations that start neutral.

Hmmm....

=D=
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Rather than two separate equipment bonuses i am not thinking a flat +5 for holding one of each equipment is a better idea. That way you can get +15 total from equipment +5 and from your car. +20 total and because you need to hold the track to take out the other pit crews it is possible that someone would remain in the game quite a while before you could eliminate them from the track side.
Where Have I Been? ... Testing a prototype board game that I co-designed called Alien Overrun!
Cook dolomite13

Postby iancanton on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:51 am

dolomite13 wrote:The one thing I would like to avoid is having someone completely eliminated from the game entirely by loosing all track locations and no way to get back in the race.

lose is spelt with only one o! can u amend the spelling in the car conditions bonus description?

dolomite13 wrote:A Pit row location would allow you to "get back in a race". Perhaps pit row could be 20 neutral, resetting to 20 neutral, and assault the track locations that start neutral.

this is worth a shot.

dolomite13 wrote:Rather than two separate equipment bonuses i am not thinking a flat +5 for holding one of each equipment is a better idea. That way you can get +15 total from equipment +5 and from your car. +20 total and because you need to hold the track to take out the other pit crews it is possible that someone would remain in the game quite a while before you could eliminate them from the track side.

it will be very difficult to hold one of each pit equipment because all pit equipment can be assaulted by all pit crew and all other pit equipment. i prefer the existing +3 and +2 bonuses that u have.

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm

iancanton wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:Rather than two separate equipment bonuses i am not thinking a flat +5 for holding one of each equipment is a better idea. That way you can get +15 total from equipment +5 and from your car. +20 total and because you need to hold the track to take out the other pit crews it is possible that someone would remain in the game quite a while before you could eliminate them from the track side.

it will be very difficult to hold one of each pit equipment because all pit equipment can be assaulted by all pit crew and all other pit equipment. i prefer the existing +3 and +2 bonuses that u have.

ageed
Cook dolomite13

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:34 pm

I said it a long time ago, but I still like this map.

Be wary of making things overcomplicated - the appeal is down to one of racing around the track, and that's what you want to encapsulate with the gameplay... I don;t want you to overcomplicate things!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm

MrBenn wrote:I said it a long time ago, but I still like this map.

Be wary of making things overcomplicated - the appeal is down to one of racing around the track, and that's what you want to encapsulate with the gameplay... I don;t want you to overcomplicate things!

I agree, I would love the racing element to be the focus of the map, and the other things that are part of racing but more behind the scenes need to be there and influence the race but they do need to feel like support for the race not more important than the race.

I will have an update soon ... I have been picking away at the map and the key to simplify things for a few weeks.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 - Map & Mechanics Updated

Postby dolomite13 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:19 pm

Here we go ....

Click image to enlarge.

Territories: 79
- 24 car conditions (tires, fuel, engine)
- 8 pit crew
- 15 pit equipment
- 30 track locations
- 1 winners circle
- 1 pit row

Connections
Track Locations
- Track locations can assault other track locations in the same track segment or next segment counter clockwise.
- All track locations can assault the winner circle.

Pit Crews
- Your pit crew can assault all of your teams car conditions.
- All pit crews can assault any pit equipment.
- All pit crews can assault pit row.

Pit Equipment
- Pit equipment can assault other locations of the same equipment.
- Pit equipment can bombard car conditions of the same name.

Winners Circle
- Can bombard all pit equipment, car conditions, and pit crews.
- Resets to 20 neutral every turn.

Pit Row
- Can assault select track locations that begin neutral.
- Resets to 20 neutral every turn.

Starting Forces
- Cars conditions start with 1 neutral on each location.
- Winners Circle starts with 20 neutrals.
- Pit Row starts with 20 neutrals.
- Pits crews start with 3 on each location.
- Pit equipment starts with 2 neutral on each location.

Bonus Forces
+1 for holding all 3 track locations in a given track segment.
+2 for holding one jack and one tools pit equipment.
+3 for holding one tires, one engine, and one fuel pit equipment.
+1 for each of your teams car conditions you control or +5 for controlling all 3 of your car conditions
+40 if you hold one track location in each of the 10 track segments.

Deployment
- All car conditions loose 1 per turn.
- Pit Crews autodeploy 3.
- Winners Circle resets to 20 each turn.

Starting Forces
Players are assigned the pit crews as starting positions.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 pit crew each. (8/2)
- both players would have 6 track locations each with 8 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/3)

In a 3 player game
- all players would have 3 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/3)
- all players would have 6 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/3)

In a 4 player game
- all players would have 2 pit crew each. (8/4)
- all players would have 5 track locations each. (20/4)

In a 5 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 3 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/5)
- all players would have 4 track locations each. (20/5)

In a 6 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/6)
- all players would have 3 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/6)

In a 7 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 1 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/7)
- all players would have 2 track locations each with 6 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/7)

In a 8 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each. (8/8)
- all players would have 2 track locations each with 4 remainder set to 3 neutral. . (20/8)
Last edited by dolomite13 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cook dolomite13

Postby iancanton on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:49 pm

i was initially sceptical about coupling the pit row and winner's circle killer neutrals with a +40 track bonus. however, after discussing the effects with Evil DIMwit, we reckon it's a stroke of genius. well done!

Brigadier iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Re: The Conquer 500 - Map & Gameplay Updated

Postby Industrial Helix on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Glad to see this stickied as well...
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:43 pm

iancanton wrote:i was initially sceptical about coupling the pit row and winner's circle killer neutrals with a +40 track bonus. however, after discussing the effects with Evil DIMwit, we reckon it's a stroke of genius. well done!

=)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Now we just need people to pop in and give some thoughts on it =)

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:39 pm

I think this map is going to stalemate a lot.

You've got the winners circle with its N20 which is the only way to attack the pit crews (unless I missed someplace else) players aren't going to be able to go through those 20 and then face a massively built up pit crew (which autodeploys 3 each turn) because they'll be at a numbers disadvantage and either leave the winner's circle open for a counter attack, or attack all the way down to 1 left (failing most of the time and opening up the counter attack there as well). Or leaving enough armies to protect winners circle but sacrificing them to the killer neutrals.

I'm just thinking that many players aren't going to make that attack and will sit back and wait to counterattack.

I kind of think the issue here is the +3auto that each pit crew gets. Without them the pit crews don't become so all powerful and even going through the N20 is possible.

I may also be missing something but this is the part that caught my eye
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby dolomite13 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:54 pm

barterer2002 wrote:You've got the winners circle with its N20 which is the only way to attack the pit crews (unless I missed someplace else) players aren't going to be able to go through those 20 and then face a massively built up pit crew (which autodeploys 3 each turn) because they'll be at a numbers disadvantage and either leave the winner's circle open for a counter attack, or attack all the way down to 1 left (failing most of the time and opening up the counter attack there as well). Or leaving enough armies to protect winners circle but sacrificing them to the killer neutrals.

There is a +40 bonus for holding one full lap of the track ... so the pits gain their +3 which is needed to keep attacking and taking the pit equipment and you can instead focus reinforcements to the track. Even in 3 v 3 games all 3 players on one team will be able to get the +40 bonus. The 20n on the pit row and winners circle are for attacking across from track to pits or pits to track. however the track is very important in that the +40 bonus is there.

I would like to see the map in play before saying its going to stalemate.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby isaiah40 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:18 pm

Is the +40 bonus for holding the whole track?? If so then the legend needs to be reworded from +40 if you hold a track location in each segment to +40 if you hold the entire track.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby dolomite13 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:07 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Is the +40 bonus for holding the whole track?? If so then the legend needs to be reworded from +40 if you hold a track location in each segment to +40 if you hold the entire track.
No its is for 1 location in each of the segments. That allows up to 3 players to all get the +40 bonus simultaneously.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

Postby isaiah40 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:19 pm

dolomite13 wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Is the +40 bonus for holding the whole track?? If so then the legend needs to be reworded from +40 if you hold a track location in each segment to +40 if you hold the entire track.
No its is for 1 location in each of the segments. That allows up to 3 players to all get the +40 bonus simultaneously.

=D=

Okay, it looked like a typo or something to me. Anyways looking good, hope this gets to live play soon!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby saraith on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:58 pm

I like this map, although I don't think it'll be one that I play that often, it's not really my style.

One comment: I had a difficult time, at first, figuring out how to get onto the track in the first place.

barterer2002 wrote:I think this map is going to stalemate a lot.

I agree with that. As I said at first, I don't think I'll play this one, and that's because this is what I think will happen in a game.
  1. I'll start to get bored
  2. hit Pit Row too quickly
  3. tank
  4. leave myself wide open, because I don't have any guys left after tanking on Pit Row.
Corporal 1st Class saraith

Postby dolomite13 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:08 pm

saraith wrote:One comment: I had a difficult time, at first, figuring out how to get onto the track in the first place.

Starting Forces

Players are assigned the pit crews as starting positions and random drops on 20 of the 30 track locations. 10 of the locations (one in each segment) are already set to neutral.

In a 2 player game
- both players would have 4 pit crew each. (8/2)
- both players would have 6 track locations each with 8 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/3)

In a 3 player game
- all players would have 3 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/3)
- all players would have 6 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/3)

In a 4 player game
- all players would have 2 pit crew each. (8/4)
- all players would have 5 track locations each. (20/4)

In a 5 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 3 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/5)
- all players would have 4 track locations each. (20/5)

In a 6 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 2 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/6)
- all players would have 3 track locations each with 2 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/6)

In a 7 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each with 1 remainder set to 1 neutral. (8/7)
- all players would have 2 track locations each with 6 remainder set to 3 neutral. (20/7)

In a 8 player game
- all players would have 1 pit crew each. (8/8)
- all players would have 2 track locations each with 4 remainder set to 3 neutral. . (20/8)

I just noticed that i didn't put "no standard territory bonus" somewhere on the map.

=d=
Cook dolomite13

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:05 pm

dolomite13 wrote:I just noticed that i didn't put "no standard territory bonus" somewhere on the map.

Well, throw it in in the next update. Meanwhile, according to Ian's wishes:
Enjoy.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:02 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:
dolomite13 wrote:I just noticed that i didn't put "no standard territory bonus" somewhere on the map.

Well, throw it in in the next update. Meanwhile, according to Ian's wishes:
Enjoy.
=)
Cook dolomite13

Re: The Conquer 500 [GP] - Map & Gameplay Updated

Postby isaiah40 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:36 am

Congratulations!! =D> =D>
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:45 am

This is really nice. Quite creative, I might add. Look forward to playing the beta when it's in Final Forge. Keep on trucking! Or should I say, racing? :D
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby RedBaron0 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:36 am

I really liked the older background, with the grandstands.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby dolomite13 on Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:07 pm

RedBaron0 wrote:I really liked the older background, with the grandstands.
Me too but it wasn't from a royalty free source ... I am still searching for a good grandstands image that is.

=D=
Cook dolomite13

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas