Conquer Club

Skip Game

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Skip Game

Postby Culs De Sac on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:18 am

I absolutely LOVE this feature... WAY TO GO FOLKS!
Major Culs De Sac

Postby Orwell on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:48 pm

Shouldn't this be called a "stall" rather than "skip" feature?
:roll:
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
Corporal Orwell

Postby mpjh on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:52 pm

maybe "delay that" for the navy types
Cadet mpjh

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:53 am

tobinov wrote:Shouldn't this be called a "stall" rather than "skip" feature?

No because you are skipping over it in the list of games to play. You are not really stalling it.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Orwell on Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 am

Bruceswar wrote:

No because you are skipping over it in the list of games to play. You are not really stalling it.

From the opponents point of view, you are not taking your turn - I consider that stalling.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
Corporal Orwell

Postby Bruceswar on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:39 pm

tobinov wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:

From the opponents point of view, you are not taking your turn - I consider that stalling.

Actually stalling is when you purposely drag out the game. For strategic reasons it is just good strategy.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby mpjh on Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:44 pm

I don't know. A stall implies something is wrong, like a stalled plane, or a stalled relationship. A skip is lighter, more airy, implying availability at some point in the near future.
Cadet mpjh

Postby Orwell on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
tobinov wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:

Actually stalling is when you purposely drag out the game. For strategic reasons it is just good strategy.

But you *are* purposely dragging out the game by not taking your turn.
It may be considered "good strategy" to some, but it is what it is: stalling.
Corporal Orwell

Postby Orwell on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:27 pm

mpjh wrote:I don't know. A stall implies something is wrong, like a stalled plane, or a stalled relationship. A skip is lighter, more airy, implying availability at some point in the near future.

Exactly. I consider something to be wrong when you do not take your turn on purpose.

A true "skip" would mean you do not take your turn and the next player goes. Just saying.
Corporal Orwell

Postby mpjh on Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Oh, get over it. Sometimes in team games you have to wait for your partner to weigh in. Besides you have 24 hours in casual games.
Cadet mpjh

Postby Orwell on Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 am

mpjh wrote:Oh, get over it. Sometimes in team games you have to wait for your partner to weigh in. Besides you have 24 hours in casual games.

There is nothing to get over, I just stating my opinion, mate.

If this is intended for partnered-games then the compromise is to have the "skip" turn option be limited to those games.
Corporal Orwell

Postby Leehar on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:42 am

tobinov wrote:
mpjh wrote:Oh, get over it. Sometimes in team games you have to wait for your partner to weigh in. Besides you have 24 hours in casual games.

If this is intended for partnered-games then the compromise is to have the "skip" turn option be limited to those games.

It doesn't have to be only for partnered games either. Sometimes in large multiplayer games (specially escalating) you need to think about your turn and whether you can get an elimination. It's natural to need to think through your turns a bit, and if you just don't have time at that moment, it's natural to want to skip the game and get to something which you can play easier (1v1's etc)
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:33 pm

Right. I rarely play Team Games---but I often want to play my games in a specific order for whatever reason---maybe I want to complete all the games where I have wrapped up first, or maybe I want to play all the initializing games. This allows me to play the order I want easily.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:13 pm

tobinov wrote:

It seems like you fail to realize that this is just a shortcut for manually going to My Games and selecting a different game to play. People who "stall" will do it anyway - no reason to make them suffer.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Orwell on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
tobinov wrote:

It seems like you fail to realize that this is just a shortcut for manually going to My Games and selecting a different game to play. People who "stall" will do it anyway - no reason to make them suffer.

No need to patronize me, I understand it's function.
I disagree with the term.

And yes, I get the message.
Corporal Orwell

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:59 pm

tobinov wrote:I disagree with the term.

You can't disagree with the term - it is an accurate description of what you are doing. You might also think that it could accurately be described as "stall the game," but that doesn't make the current description any less valid.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Orwell on Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:48 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:
tobinov wrote:I disagree with the term.

You can't disagree with the term - it is an accurate description of what you are doing. You might also think that it could accurately be described as "stall the game," but that doesn't make the current description any less valid.

Yes, I can, in fact, disagree with the term. I can consider it less accurate, less descriptive, even deceptive - I don't, but I could - that is the beauty of language.

Anyway.
Corporal Orwell

Postby MrBenn on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:01 pm

If we're going to moan about the name, let's come up with some viable alternatives...

Delay
Postpone
Hold Fire
Adjourn

or perhaps something more descriptive, like 'Send to Back', 'Back of the queue' ?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Orwell on Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:15 pm

MrBenn wrote:Delay
Postpone
Hold Fire
Adjourn
Send to Back
Back of the queue

Stall

:P
Corporal Orwell

Postby mpjh on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:45 pm

Let's call it tobinov's button.
Cadet mpjh

Postby Orwell on Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:58 pm

mpjh wrote:Let's call it tobinov's button.

<button type="petty">Push</button>
Corporal Orwell

Postby amazzony on Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:56 am

Thanks for the update, it makes playing games at work so much easier :D
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby phantomzero on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:54 pm

amazzony wrote:Thanks for the update, it makes playing games at work so much easier :D

Work! I love it for turns on my iPhone! If I don't have time to take that Hive turn now and I don't want to wait for pages to reload going in and out of the My Games pages... this is a super useful update!
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby skillfusniper33 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:34 am

phantomzero wrote:
amazzony wrote:Thanks for the update, it makes playing games at work so much easier :D

Work! I love it for turns on my iPhone! If I don't have time to take that Hive turn now and I don't want to wait for pages to reload going in and out of the My Games pages... this is a super useful update!

Oh god, Hive on and Iphone, that must really suck. I may have to try it some time, well just load an existing game to see what it looks like...
Place: 267 Score: 2630
Major skillfusniper33

Postby Leehar on Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:55 pm

I've just got a comment regarding the skip game feature. It seems that once you finish a game, then when clicking on 'jump to the next playable game' it goes to the beginning of your games and you have to skip through all those games again (probably because you were in 'finished games' section so it's thinking you restarted at 'my games') is there no way to program it so that it continues as normal?
show
Colonel Leehar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives