Conquer Club

New player looking for guidance

The SoC Training Academy and its Training Grounds provide basic training for new and old members looking to enhance their game strategy. "Train a Cook today, lose to a Sergeant tomorrow"

Moderator: Academy Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

New player looking for guidance

Postby Anthrax821 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:08 am

I'm a new player (4-5 games complete) and havent played any other type of risk is about 15 years. Needless to say I am interested in being taught some better strategy.

The scoop: I seem to do well and last until the final two players but cant seem to pull out the win. I tend to weaken everyone else and allow another player to wipe them out, get all the bonuses, and then clean the floor with me in 1-2 more turns.
Captain Anthrax821

Re: New player looking for guidance

Postby Ardan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:20 am

Join a class :) They teach terminator, escalating games with 6 or 7 players which will help you learn how to get some points without having to win the entire game. Standard games requires you to conquer the whole map to win. There are different strategies involved on those maps dependent on how many players, what type of spoils the game is and of course what type of map.

If you are relatively new, I would stick to maps that are easily understood before going on to maps that are complex. I have reached Lt. which is 1600 points (bouncing back and forth some with points so I tend to drop down a rank still) by playing mainly classic, world 2.1, polyponesian, Luxemburg, and feudal epic maps. Those are all easily understood, at least for me. I've played mostly terminator type games where you get points for each player you elimate and usually I can eliminate 1 or 2 people and break even or come out ahead. But a lot does depend on position and your understanding of the map. Right now I have 13 active games left out of about 40 that I was doing all at once and I pretty much am guaranteed to lose points in those games. I may eek out a kill or two but I'm not holding my breath, which is why I will lose my Lt Rank, lol.

But to gain some skill in escalating games and learn some strategy, join the next class on the society. :)
Quotes:

One thing I have learned, there is a God, and I'm not Him.
Going to church or using the right lingo doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger.

Favorite game sweep: Game 8041424
Captain Ardan

Postby Anthrax821 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:37 am

Do I just find the next available class and go into the forum?
Captain Anthrax821

Postby Ardan on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Look a few more threads down the list on this forum. There's one that says New Class starting 9/26/10 or along those lines. Go in there and make a post saying you would like to join the class and they will then add you to that class of students. :)
Quotes:

One thing I have learned, there is a God, and I'm not Him.
Going to church or using the right lingo doesn't make you a Christian any more than going to McDonald's makes you a hamburger.

Favorite game sweep: Game 8041424
Captain Ardan

Postby Caymanmew on Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:22 pm

Anthrax821 wrote:Do I just find the next available class and go into the forum?

i will add you onto the class list ;)
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Return to SoC Training Grounds