Conquer Club

Celtic 7 Nations v4.0 [Quenched]!

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Celtic 7 Nations v4.0 [Gp][Gx][XML][Beta]!

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:09 pm

The Bison King wrote:And we are Live!

Indeedy.

Well done ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby william.paul on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Forgive me if this has been brought up in the previous 31 pages, but I was a little confused about the Celtic Sea Territory.

Some maps that have a 'loose 1 per turn territory' specify that it either goes down to 1 or will revert to neutral 1 id you only have 1 army there. After playing it, I thought that adding in that it it only reduces your forces to 1 would clarify things.
Sergeant 1st Class william.paul

Postby Sniper08 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Finally we can play this map :D
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:35 pm

I agree with the blue M&M. Psyched to play this map, TBK!
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ender516 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:33 pm

william.paul wrote:Forgive me if this has been brought up in the previous 31 pages, but I was a little confused about the Celtic Sea Territory.

Some maps that have a 'loose 1 per turn territory' specify that it either goes down to 1 or will revert to neutral 1 id you only have 1 army there. After playing it, I thought that adding in that it it only reduces your forces to 1 would clarify things.

Regions that lose 1 troop per turn (or any specific number of troops per turn) stop when you have only one troop left. They do not revert to neutral. Regions which revert to neutral at the start of the turn of the player holding them ("killer neutrals") do exactly that: no matter how many troops you leave on them, they revert to their starting neutral value when you start your turn. They do not revert to the starting neutral value unless a player holds them: if someone weakens them without taking them, they stay weak.

The Celtic Sea region starts as a neutral with one troop, and loses one troop per turn when held by any player.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Commander62890 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:24 am

Hello there!

Does it occur to you that the Kernow bonus is a little too good, being 2 territories for +2 and being protected by neutrals?
In two teams games, my opponents dropped both territories in Kernow, and now they will surely take and hold it.

There are 2 neutrals to go through to get to Kernow:
1) Stonehenge, of course, is worthless as a bonus in a team game; And as a neutral 3, it is brutal to go through in order to break Kernow
2) Ynysek Syllan is a bit better, being a neutral 2.

Either way, the team that does not take Kernow is pretty much fucked

Changing it to +1 would be okay, but it will still be unbalanced. The only way to balance it is to allow Kernow to be attacked without having to go through neutrals. Perhaps change Ynysek Syllan to a regular territory?

By the way, I imagine this issue will be the same with 1v1s, unless a territory in Kernow is dropped neutral
Major Commander62890

Postby The Bison King on Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:37 am

Commander62890 wrote:Hello there!

Does it occur to you that the Kernow bonus is a little too good, being 2 territories for +2 and being protected by neutrals?
In two teams games, my opponents dropped both territories in Kernow, and now they will surely take and hold it.

There are 2 neutrals to go through to get to Kernow:
1) Stonehenge, of course, is worthless as a bonus in a team game; And as a neutral 3, it is brutal to go through in order to break Kernow
2) Ynysek Syllan is a bit better, being a neutral 2.

Either way, the team that does not take Kernow is pretty much fucked

Changing it to +1 would be okay, but it will still be unbalanced. The only way to balance it is to allow Kernow to be attacked without having to go through neutrals. Perhaps change Ynysek Syllan to a regular territory?

By the way, I imagine this issue will be the same with 1v1s, unless a territory in Kernow is dropped neutral

I want to keep Kernow +2, because I think +1 is too small for it being in the crossroads of the map. I need to leave at least 1 neutral in the bonus to keep people from dropping it right off the bat. Ynsyek Syllen seems like an obvious choice because even if someone doesn't go for the bonus it will soon be broken by people traveling from on end of the map to another. Maybe Stonehenge could be dropped to only having 2 neutrals but I don't think that will make much of a difference and I think that would make it too easy to score that +1 auto deploy.

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby CamelToe on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

this map has copyright infringement. that celtic tree symbol is original artwork by Jen Delyth titled 'tree of life' and is not part of the public domain, despite the fact that people all over the net are using it illegally without permission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jen_Delyth
http://www.kelticdesigns.com/Pages/CelticTreeofLifebyJenDelyth.html
Colonel CamelToe

Postby The Bison King on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Ruh-Roh! Hmm I suppose I can ask permission. Looking on the site it has a section for non-commercial use. She might ok it, I'm not really sure. Worst case scenario I just change it to something else. What do you think?

Postby Commander62890 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 pm

The Bison King wrote:I want to keep Kernow +2, because I think +1 is too small for it being in the crossroads of the map. I need to leave at least 1 neutral in the bonus to keep people from dropping it right off the bat. Ynsyek Syllen seems like an obvious choice because even if someone doesn't go for the bonus it will soon be broken by people traveling from on end of the map to another. Maybe Stonehenge could be dropped to only having 2 neutrals but I don't think that will make much of a difference and I think that would make it too easy to score that +1 auto deploy.
:oops: Sorry, I didnt realize Ynsysek Syllen was part of Kernow! That makes it much more balanced.
I'll let you know if I see anything else; sorry about the mix-up.
Major Commander62890

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:01 pm

The Bison King wrote:Ruh-Roh! Hmm I suppose I can ask permission. Looking on the site it has a section for non-commercial use. She might ok it, I'm not really sure. Worst case scenario I just change it to something else. What do you think?

i say get the permission or change it.
The terms of use says it can be used only for non commercial use and used only as link that points back to the owner site. You can't use it in any other way without owner permission.

TERMS OF USE
For non-commercial use only, for internet illustration, with appropriate credit accompanying link "Original design by Jen Delyth Ā©1990" and/or http://www.kelticdesigns.com next to design as shown.
Copy and paste the image into your web page (CTRL click or ALT click) WITH CLEAR CREDIT and EMEDDED LINK as provided. You do not need to request permission to use these as links to us, but if you let us know, we can return the favor. Please make sure you link back to us at http://www.kelticdesigns.com
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby The Bison King on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:20 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Ruh-Roh! Hmm I suppose I can ask permission. Looking on the site it has a section for non-commercial use. She might ok it, I'm not really sure. Worst case scenario I just change it to something else. What do you think?

i say get the permission or change it.
The terms of use says it can be used only for non commercial use and used only as link that points back to the owner site. You can't use it in any other way without owner permission.

TERMS OF USE
For non-commercial use only, for internet illustration, with appropriate credit accompanying link "Original design by Jen Delyth Ā©1990" and/or http://www.kelticdesigns.com next to design as shown.
Copy and paste the image into your web page (CTRL click or ALT click) WITH CLEAR CREDIT and EMEDDED LINK as provided. You do not need to request permission to use these as links to us, but if you let us know, we can return the favor. Please make sure you link back to us at http://www.kelticdesigns.com

I'll contact her tomorrow. A couple questions I need to know first.

When I'm talking to her an I representing myself, or the Conquer Club as a whole?

and

Does this in anyway count as commercial use by being on this site?

Postby VicFontaine on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Just played this for the first time.

Loved it. Great work.
Lieutenant VicFontaine

Postby MrBenn on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:44 pm

The Bison King wrote:I'll contact her tomorrow. A couple questions I need to know first.

When I'm talking to her an I representing myself, or the Conquer Club as a whole?

and

Does this in anyway count as commercial use by being on this site?

If you make contact, it will be in your own capacity as an artist who has created a map image that has recently been used on CC. Your use of the image is not commercial (ie you have not been paid and it does not generate an income for you), although I guess that in some shape or form it may help to generate income for CC?

Just be completely open and honest, and say that you developed the image yourself, and that you were unaware that the symbol was held under copyright until today; hence your request for permission to continue using it. Also state that you will happily substitute an alternative image if they would prefer.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MNDuke on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:18 am

I didn't feel like sorting through 31 pages, so forgive me if this has been brought up. I have played this map numerous times and think that the Alba bonus is too easily defended with Isle of Man starting out as a neutral. If the drop is bad, a game can be decided fairly quickly similar to Aus on Classic. I'd like to see Isle of Man not be worth +1 for holding it and the starting neutral be removed. In doing this, it would neutralize the Alba bonus from being so hard to take. As it stands it's too easily defended with stonehenge and Isle of man being neutrals. This leaves 2 ways in that aren't protected by neutrals. Maybe I'm out of line, but I think it would vastly improve the map and balance the gameplay a little more.
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby The Bison King on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:02 pm

MNDuke wrote:I didn't feel like sorting through 31 pages, so forgive me if this has been brought up. I have played this map numerous times and think that the Alba bonus is too easily defended with Isle of Man starting out as a neutral. If the drop is bad, a game can be decided fairly quickly similar to Aus on Classic. I'd like to see Isle of Man not be worth +1 for holding it and the starting neutral be removed. In doing this, it would neutralize the Alba bonus from being so hard to take. As it stands it's too easily defended with stonehenge and Isle of man being neutrals. This leaves 2 ways in that aren't protected by neutrals. Maybe I'm out of line, but I think it would vastly improve the map and balance the gameplay a little more.

Sorry I'm not changing that.

Postby The Bison King on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:03 pm

In other news it's been about a week or more since I sent that email out to Keltic designs and I haven't received a response yet. What do you think this means?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:19 pm

The Bison King wrote:In other news it's been about a week or more since I sent that email out to Keltic designs and I haven't received a response yet. What do you think this means?

It means wait another week ;)
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Leehar on Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
The Bison King wrote:In other news it's been about a week or more since I sent that email out to Keltic designs and I haven't received a response yet. What do you think this means?

It means wait another week ;)

I'd also say tho, to be better safe than sorry. Just start making preparations for what you would do without that image, and if they do allow you to use it, it'll just be a nice surprise.

Edit: Also, I'd suggest changing the caption saying 'Celtic sea loses 1 per turn' to 'Celtic sea loses 1 army per turn'?
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby MNDuke on Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:33 pm

The Bison King wrote:
MNDuke wrote:I didn't feel like sorting through 31 pages, so forgive me if this has been brought up. I have played this map numerous times and think that the Alba bonus is too easily defended with Isle of Man starting out as a neutral. If the drop is bad, a game can be decided fairly quickly similar to Aus on Classic. I'd like to see Isle of Man not be worth +1 for holding it and the starting neutral be removed. In doing this, it would neutralize the Alba bonus from being so hard to take. As it stands it's too easily defended with stonehenge and Isle of man being neutrals. This leaves 2 ways in that aren't protected by neutrals. Maybe I'm out of line, but I think it would vastly improve the map and balance the gameplay a little more.

Sorry I'm not changing that.

Thanks for almost considering my thoughts.
Sergeant MNDuke

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:54 pm

Please can we have alternative images - I would not assume that no response now means that inaction works.

Once the images are fixed up, then I would suggest this is ready to go, unless anybody has any gameplay comments?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:16 pm

:( No gameplay comments, just sad to see the image go...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote::( No gameplay comments, just sad to see the image go...

It won;t go, it will be replaced :P
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:13 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote::( No gameplay comments, just sad to see the image go...

It won;t go, it will be replaced :P

I apologize for the bluntness, but NO DUH. :) I just mean to say I like the image now and it would be sad to see it replaced. :(

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby The Bison King on Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 pm

I'll make an update with an alternative image in a few days. ;)

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas