Conquer Club

We will remember

Talk about all things related to Conquer Club

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

We will remember

Postby MrBenn on Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:21 pm

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

by John McCrae, May 1915

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old.
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

by Laurence Binyon, September 1914
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: We will remember

Postby edsdad on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:14 pm

LEST WE FORGET.
Cadet edsdad

Postby SirSebstar on Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:43 pm

I do keep the flame
Major SirSebstar

Location: SirSebstar is BACK. Highscore: Colonel Score: 2919 21/03/2011

Postby Gypsys Kiss on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:08 pm

Forever missed, never forgotten.....

My own little memorial to my own relatives from last year
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=101342&p=2298956#p2298956
Sergeant Gypsys Kiss

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:30 pm

?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Dako on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:33 pm

WW1
Colonel Dako

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:34 pm

Well no duh, but why post this? That's not to say I don't like th- oh wait, it's Veteran's Day. Riiiigggghhhtt... Carry on...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby babinator on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Lest we forget the sacrifice made by so many to keep us free.
Private babinator

Postby Twill on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Thank you for posting this - we fight a war game here, but there are so many out there who fought real wars and for many, are still fighting them in their heads, bodies and families.

Regardless of who you are and your stance on war, remember the individuals who didn't come home, and work for those who left something behind.
Retired.
Please don't PM me about forum stuff any more.

Essential forum poster viewing:
Posting, and You! and How to behave on an internet forum...on the internet
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby the.killing.44 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:39 pm

Why is the poppy vomiting?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:04 pm

Though technically isn't Veteran's Day supposed to honor the survivors of wars, while Memorial Day honors those who died in battle?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby ComposerNate on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:19 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Though technically isn't Veteran's Day supposed to honor the survivors of wars, while Memorial Day honors those who died in battle?

That would be the American take on it. I'm not sure other countries celebrate Armistice Day the same way we do.
Captain ComposerNate

Postby Georgerx7di on Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Though technically isn't Veteran's Day supposed to honor the survivors of wars, while Memorial Day honors those who died in battle?

Flanders is appropriate in one way though. Veterans day marks the end of WWI, so picking a battle from that war makes sense.
Major Georgerx7di

Postby silverpie on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:01 pm

The author of that poem was Canadian (in fact, the first verse is printed on the C$10 bill). Up there, it's Remembrance Day, which encompasses the meanings of all three of our "military" holidays (Veterans' Memorial, and Armed Forces
Cook silverpie

Postby rdsrds2120 on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:50 pm

silverpie wrote:The author of that poem was Canadian (in fact, the first verse is printed on the C$10 bill). Up there, it's Remembrance Day, which encompasses the meanings of all three of our "military" holidays (Veterans' Memorial, and Armed Forces

I'm happy I read that and now know this, actually. It's enlightening (:
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Robinette on Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:13 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:....... Veteran's Day ......

There is no apostrophe in Veterans Day

and here's a few tid-bits

Veterans Day was created by Dwight Eisenhower in 1954. Originally known as “Armistice Day,” a commemoration proclaimed by Woodrow Wilson in 1919 and made an annual holiday by Calvin Coolidge in 1938. Armistice Day was “dedicated to the cause of world peace” but was more popularly about commemorating the heroes of World War One. The date is November 11 because the armistice between the Allies and Germany took effect at eleven o’clock in the morning on the eleventh day of the eleventh month of 1918.

The “Uniform Monday Holiday Act” of 1971 moved Veterans Day to the fourth Monday of October, but in response to popular sentiment, Veterans Day was moved back to November 11 in 1978.
Brigadier Robinette

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 pm

With irony heaped upon irony, this year’s Poppy Appeal was started in the UK at the Radway Green facility, owned by none other than BAE, one of Europe’s largest arms dealers. High ranking officials from the company that rakes in billions from international wars watched as veterans laid down wreaths. The excruciating irony of their presence passed unnoticed in a country that seems to have fundamentally misunderstood the nature of remembrance. The Poppy was originally created as a symbol of the horrors of war by a generation of people who, all too vividly, had experienced it.

I fully appreciate that whilst there were clearly defined moral distinctions of right and wrong regarding the combatants in WW2 and why conflict was unavoidable, however many other wars we and our allies have been involved in, do not carry the same clearly defined paths. The Poppy is in danger of becoming the panacea for the difficult task of reviewing whether what we are doing is right or wrong.

Call me disrespectful if you may, but like Harry Patch, the last British WW1 veteran who died last year, I find the wearing of poppies by British Government Ministers, with their notorious attitude to support of veterans quite sickening and full of hypocrisy. War is futile and always will be, meanwhile these Politicians and companies like BAE continue supporting wars and then ignoring the tragic human cost attached in the vainglorious pursuit of their own careers.

Having said this, there are great reasons for supporting (in the UK) the Royal British Legion, a great institution with a noble cause at heart, but I truly fear for what is happening to us when the likes of the skin crawling Simon Cowell or the saccharine Cheryl Cole decide that a common or garden paper Poppy is no longer fitting and feel the need to wear poppy pins encrusted with Swarovski crystals.

As the UK heads for this Remembrance Sunday, we should remember that those Politicians we will see on TV in Whitehall looking suitably grave and serious have cheerfully authorised the decimation of jobs, welfare and public education, whilst showing a complete ineptitude towards the armed Forces. They have sacrificed the life chances of a generation of young and working-class people while making rhetorical sops towards "the national interest", and that is not remembrance, nor is it any way to honour the memory of the Great Generation. Like Cowell and Cole, this is, in fact, just show business.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Caymanmew on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:11 pm

babinator wrote:Lest we forget the sacrifice made by so many to keep us free.

no they sacrifice themselves to keep the Europeans "free"

we where perfectly safe
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby jefjef on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:17 pm

caymanmew wrote:

we where perfectly safe

Freedom is not just an American thing. A free world also promotes safety and stability and does much towards keeping us safe and out of conflicts...
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Fruitcake wrote:With irony heaped upon irony, this year’s Poppy Appeal was started in the UK at the Radway Green facility, owned by none other than BAE, one of Europe’s largest arms dealers. High ranking officials from the company that rakes in billions from international wars watched as veterans laid down wreaths. The excruciating irony of their presence passed unnoticed in a country that seems to have fundamentally misunderstood the nature of remembrance. The Poppy was originally created as a symbol of the horrors of war by a generation of people who, all too vividly, had experienced it.

I fully appreciate that whilst there were clearly defined moral distinctions of right and wrong regarding the combatants in WW2 and why conflict was unavoidable, however many other wars we and our allies have been involved in, do not carry the same clearly defined paths. The Poppy is in danger of becoming the panacea for the difficult task of reviewing whether what we are doing is right or wrong.

Call me disrespectful if you may, but like Harry Patch, the last British WW1 veteran who died last year, I find the wearing of poppies by British Government Ministers, with their notorious attitude to support of veterans quite sickening and full of hypocrisy. War is futile and always will be, meanwhile these Politicians and companies like BAE continue supporting wars and then ignoring the tragic human cost attached in the vainglorious pursuit of their own careers.

Having said this, there are great reasons for supporting (in the UK) the Royal British Legion, a great institution with a noble cause at heart, but I truly fear for what is happening to us when the likes of the skin crawling Simon Cowell or the saccharine Cheryl Cole decide that a common or garden paper Poppy is no longer fitting and feel the need to wear poppy pins encrusted with Swarovski crystals.

As the UK heads for this Remembrance Sunday, we should remember that those Politicians we will see on TV in Whitehall looking suitably grave and serious have cheerfully authorised the decimation of jobs, welfare and public education, whilst showing a complete ineptitude towards the armed Forces. They have sacrificed the life chances of a generation of young and working-class people while making rhetorical sops towards "the national interest", and that is not remembrance, nor is it any way to honour the memory of the Great Generation. Like Cowell and Cole, this is, in fact, just show business.

Well said.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Caymanmew on Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:50 pm

jefjef wrote:
caymanmew wrote:

we where perfectly safe

Freedom is not just an American thing. A free world also promotes safety and stability and does much towards keeping us safe and out of conflicts...

well the world was still going to be "free" no matter who won we (Canada) only entered the was because we had to (just like every other country who was fighting)
Colonel Caymanmew
Head Clan Director
Head Clan Director

Postby Robinette on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Both my Grandfather's fought in the trenches...

My mother's father, in the French trenches from 1916, Verdun and others...
My father's father, johnny come lately in 1918

Thankfully, they both came home, lest i not be amongst you now...

Postby the.killing.44 on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Robinette wrote:Both my Grandfather's fought in the trenches...

There is no apostrophe in grandfathers
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby nietzsche on Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:21 pm

I wonder where is ljex. He would've moved this thread to SIB already.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby Robinette on Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:49 am

the.killing.44 wrote:
Robinette wrote:Both my Grandfather's fought in the trenches...

There is no apostrophe in grandfathers

hahaha,, i deserved that... but actually, we both got it wrong...

that is a possessive plural, therefore it should be Both my Grandfathers'
Brigadier Robinette

Next

Return to Conquer Club Discussion