Conquer Club

England Map [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: England Map p1/29 [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:07 pm

Congrats MrBenn, Well done. =D> =D>
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Re: England Map p1/29 [Quenched]

Postby MrBenn on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Cheers Andy ;-)

Thanks folks - I couldn't have done it without your support during development. Perhaps I'll get around to setting up a batch of games in the run up to Christmas? 8-[
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: England Map [Quenched]

Postby Bones2484 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:12 am

Well, just played my first set of 3 1v1 games on this map. And... quite possibly the worst 1v1 map I've ever seen.

Go first = auto win

Definitely fun for larger games though.
Major Bones2484

Postby MrBenn on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:57 am

Bones2484 wrote:Well, just played my first set of 3 1v1 games on this map. And... quite possibly the worst 1v1 map I've ever seen.

Go first = auto win

Definitely fun for larger games though.
I agree - it's rubbish for 1v1 games.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby danryan on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:23 pm

I really like this map, I think it's an overlooked gem. Lots of bonus potential for trips and even quads games. Well done!
Sergeant 1st Class danryan

Postby Jatekos on Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:41 am

I am playing my first game on this map and noticed a smaller naming mistake. There is a region called "Leichester" on the map, but it is displayed as "Leicestershire" in the game log. It should read "Leicester (Leicestershire)" in the game log in order to make it clear that these are not different regions.
Major Jatekos

Postby MrBenn on Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Jatekos wrote:I am playing my first game on this map and noticed a smaller naming mistake. There is a region called "Leichester" on the map, but it is displayed as "Leicestershire" in the game log. It should read "Leicester (Leicestershire)" in the game log in order to make it clear that these are not different regions.

IN actual fact, the area marked as "Leicester" should be abbreviated to "Leics"
Lieutenant MrBenn

Xenowonk booo

Postby facet on Tue May 27, 2014 5:56 am

Hey

I was looking at this map with an aim to play it. It looks great. I love the road sign metaphor.

But not sure about using 'Jerusalem'. Whilst it is quite funny once one realises what pseudo-religious jingoistic empire establishing clap-trap it is, I am not sure that many yet see its (dark) humour. Any possibility it could be removed rather than perpetuate the silly xenowonk?
Corporal 1st Class facet

Re: Xenowonk booo

Postby MrBenn on Tue May 27, 2014 1:52 pm

facet wrote:Hey

I was looking at this map with an aim to play it. It looks great. I love the road sign metaphor.

But not sure about using 'Jerusalem'. Whilst it is quite funny once one realises what pseudo-religious jingoistic empire establishing clap-trap it is, I am not sure that many yet see its (dark) humour. Any possibility it could be removed rather than perpetuate the silly xenowonk?

Thanks - I'm glad you like the look of it ;-)

Blake definitely had a couple of screws loose - there's no denying that; but that (certainly to my mind) is not sufficient reason to remove the lyrics from the map - especially as they relate to sword-to-sword combat in our green and pleasant land ;-)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Xenowonk booo

Postby t-o-m on Tue May 27, 2014 5:35 pm

facet wrote:Hey

I'm guessing you didn't vote UKIP.
Major t-o-m

Postby facet on Wed May 28, 2014 3:17 pm

Hey thanks for your replies.

Of course it's your map and my whine about the xenowonk doesn't justify the jerusalem removal. Yes indeedy - UKIP is a wonderful progressive party that represents the educated and considered views of the wider UK and I am really pleased that it is given such a large amount of balanced media attention. How did you spot that their exciting results are the trigger for my proud patriotic prolapse?

Listen I too used to be moved by the rousing Parry tune. its a good un. I know how my soul was also touched by the grace of God whilst singing this song standing in lines of proud and righteous and deserving to be English Establishment Officer material rightfully ruling class effortlessly superior twits.

However I was always a little confused by certain aspects of the lyrics. Why was some biblical holy land to be built in my verdant village? Isn't the holy land a dry and dusty place completely unlike my green and lush rolling english countryside? But it was easy to brush aside such naive thoughts as I stood in place and belted out the awesome anthem: BRING ME MY BOW OF SHIGHNIYNG GAWLD BLAH BLBLBLAH BLAH BLAHH BLAAAHH. So yes, I *know* where you are coming from in using the lyrics. top english war marching jingozeal!

But that was a while ago.

Now that I am no longer required to sweatily enjoy the group fondling of odd shaped balls and I am more able to entertain independant thought (honestly ; )). It occurs to me that No, jerusalem is NOT in the shire, jerusalem is in effing Israel. I dunno, maybe there really was a dragon that George slew, and maybe jesus really did come to London, who knows? How did it come to be that such rational captains of the western world could be so captivated by this geographic religious misalignment? it's a bit puzzling.

I don't know and perhaps this is not the place to consider such things.

So anyway...

Perhaps the perpetuation of the medieval spun unlikely Holy mythos is symptomatic of the identity crisis that besets the modern English psyche. [Noting that it was recently recycled and stuck in the spin machine by cameron.] And maybe such obviously divisive jingozeal warrants questioning?

Another tack..... isn't the jerusalem mythos sentiment usually utilised to massage an 'us and them' situation, thus it is not so applicable in a civil war scenario such as your lovely map. It needs some 'other', some hans or garlic munchers or perhaps in more modern terms some rag heads or sand niggers? Oh wait a minute....

<standingandsingingandflagwaving>
I will not cease from Mental Fight,
Nor shall my Sword sleep in my hand:
Till we have built Jerusalem,
In England's green & pleasant Land
</standingandsingingandflagwaving>

right i'm off for a curry
Corporal 1st Class facet

Postby MrBenn on Wed May 28, 2014 4:33 pm

facet wrote:right i'm off for a curry

You can't beat a good bit of English food ;)
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby pamoa on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:53 am

Is it only me or there is a problem with army positionning
they are all off set
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Postby ManBungalow on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:04 pm

pamoa wrote:Is it only me or there is a problem with army positionning
they are all off set

Yeah, I see it too.

Like check out this game: Game 15349796

Large map image is fine, small one is messed up. So until it's fixed I guess you're stuck using the large map!
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby pamoa on Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:43 am

pamoa wrote:Is it only me or there is a problem with army positionning
they are all off set
ManBungalow wrote:Yeah, I see it too.
Like check out this game: Game 15349796
Large map image is fine, small one is messed up. So until it's fixed I guess you're stuck using the large map!
fixed
nice work guys
De gueules à la tour d'argent ouverte, crénelée de trois pièces, sommée d'un donjon ajouré, crénelé de deux pièces
Gules an open tower silver, crenellated three parts, topped by a apertured turret, crenellated two parts
Cadet pamoa

Previous

Return to The Atlas