Conquer Club

Wall of Shame

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Wall of Shame

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:07 pm

Seems like to me that a lot of suggestions come through here centered on keeping people from playing dirty, noob farming, or just taking advantage of a rule and well cheating in the spirit of play.

How many types of suggestions to freestyle, inviting people, scoping out only noobs and playing them, etc etc etc etc come through here? A TON.

I thought of an easier solution. A board of 10 players/mods (the board rotates over time) in a new forum area... and they field complaints on these dirty players. By a set criteria they deem if the said player is indeed a dirty ole noob farmer skirting the rules...

Then they give him/her a "punishment".. sticking their damn names up at the top of our screen on a scrolling bar, example : Joe shmoe - Noob farmer

it it scrolls for x number of days.

I know , i know... no one likes the idea, but I do.. thought id suggest it.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Re: Wall of Shame

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:50 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:Seems like to me that a lot of suggestions come through here centered on keeping people from playing dirty, noob farming, or just taking advantage of a rule and well cheating in the spirit of play.

How many types of suggestions to freestyle, inviting people, scoping out only noobs and playing them, etc etc etc etc come through here? A TON.

I thought of an easier solution. A board of 10 players/mods (the board rotates over time) in a new forum area... and they field complaints on these dirty players. By a set criteria they deem if the said player is indeed a dirty ole noob farmer skirting the rules...

Then they give him/her a "punishment".. sticking their damn names up at the top of our screen on a scrolling bar, example : Joe shmoe - Noob farmer

it it scrolls for x number of days.

I know , i know... no one likes the idea, but I do.. thought id suggest it.

I love you.

Now, onto this suggestion...

...A board of members of the club is a great idea. And I nominate you to be on the board. As the Queen, there is no need for a second or third. You're on board.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby army of nobunaga on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:54 pm

jaja, i think I love you more.

secret deplomacy... bs like noob farming.. would be no more on my watch.. your name would be scrolling accross the screen in shame.
Maps Maps Maps!

Take part in this survey and possibly win an upgrade -->
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/embeddedform?formkey=dGg4a0VxUzJLb1NGNUFwZHBuOHRFZnc6MQ
Cadet army of nobunaga

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:40 pm

army of nobunaga wrote:jaja, i think I love you more.

secret deplomacy... bs like noob farming.. would be no more on my watch.. your name would be scrolling across the screen in shame.

I like that, a scrolling list of all the phuckers who have cheated and/or abused the missed turns bonus. Make it so.

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby Rozebud on Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:03 pm

What we need isnt some complex way to discourage "noob farming"...noobs simply need to learn how to play...What we really need is "noob filtering"...this should be a bonus feature that a plater gains by paying for premium membership :)
Captain Rozebud

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:14 pm

Really, you will just encourage this stuff. We have very few jerks here in CC. Those few just don't care about our opinion, in fact seem to revel in their "tags".

My opinion is that too much attention is paid to "noob farming". This is a competetive game, you win, you lose. Being an utter jerk in chat is, to my mind, far more destructive to the site, but rules are pretty lax on that regard. (and its hard to define, enforce; plus, the cure is often worse than the ill in that case)

secret diplomacy and multis are destructive, but the measures employed are pretty effective. I see far more false accusations (though I don't necessarily mean just official accusations, I mean chat accusations, etc).

Most of the problems are in Freestyle. People attracted to that type seem to like to be a bit more "competetive" (sometimes nasty).
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:54 pm

So called "noob farming" is actually a result of the way ratings are computed here...

Higher ranked players are forced to have a bias against noobs sicne if the noob wins the higher ranked player loses a ton of points..
Captain Rozebud

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:42 pm

Rozebud wrote:So called "noob farming" is actually a result of the way ratings are computed here...

Higher ranked players are forced to have a bias against noobs sicne if the noob wins the higher ranked player loses a ton of points..

So are you saying that high rank player should get more points from lower rank players? :-s
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:03 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Rozebud wrote:So called "noob farming" is actually a result of the way ratings are computed here...

So are you saying that high rank player should get more points from lower rank players? :-s

No....I am saying points awarded or lost should have nothing to do with current rating...right now a higher level players loses more from losing to a noob than for losing to another higher rated player... This is a natural built in incentive to make damn sure noobs do not win :P

Its a lot like tax policy....if one state has much lower taxes than another state....capital investment naturally flows toward the state where it is better treated...

If CC wants to treat noobs better..the natural way to do this is to remove the incentives built into the rating system that force higher rated players to have a bias against noobs ever winning...

A win or loss should be a fixed number of points regardless of who you play.

The rating system currently in use is borrowed from games like chess where there are only 2 players in any given game....So each player only has 1 player to attack.,..not a choice of other players with some being higher rated and some lower rated...

If making the rating system fair isnt an option..then at least give paying players a way to filter out noobs from games they start :D
Last edited by Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Rozebud

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Rozebud wrote:A win or loss should be a fixed number of points regardless of who you play.

No, this will give high rank players a better incentive to "farm" lower rank players. They will get more points for the buck, and won't be sacrificing as many points for a loss.
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:30 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Rozebud wrote:A win or loss should be a fixed number of points regardless of who you play.

No, this will give high rank players a better incentive to "farm" lower rank players. They will get more points for the buck, and won't be sacrificing as many points for a loss.

High rank players are playing by the same rules and start out at ground zero in every game just like noobs...

You just dont seem to be able to see how the current rating structure punishes higher players when a noob beats them..forcing them to have a bias against them in games...Ive seen it over and over...High rated player X has no chance to win...and the other 2 players are a noob and another high rated player....of course the lost player will beat up the noob and throw the game to the other high ranked player...The unfair rating system promotes it, and should get all the credit/blame for this ever happening...

If the rating system becomes more fair (points won/lost constant not related to player rating differences) , once the noob gets a clue as to how to play, there is no reason why they cant win games...but with the current rating structure...they have to overcome not just their own inexperience but also the fact that the rating system forces higher players to hold them down.

The current rating system only makes sense in 2 player games like chess where choice of who to attack is not an issue...there is only one opponent.
Captain Rozebud

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:53 pm

Rozebud wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

High rank players are playing by the same rules and start out at ground zero in every game just like noobs...

You just dont seem to be able to see how the current rating structure punishes higher players when a noob beats them..forcing them to have a bias against them in games...Ive seen it over and over...High rated player X has no chance to win...and the other 2 players are a noob and another high rated player....of course the lost player will beat up the noob and throw the game to the other high ranked player...The unfair rating system promotes it, and should get all the credit/blame for this ever happening...

And I've seen 8 player speed freestyle games get DOMINATED over and over and over and over by high rank players who are way more skilled, against players who have been here for a while.

You aren't grasping that players WILL USE your suggested system of "everyone playing for the same amount of points" To just rocket up the scoreboard, making it more skewed than it is. Set up a ton of games on a hard map, and invite players who have just come out of the 5 game New Recruit regiment. Bam, they can get easily hundreds of points.

If there is a loophole in the system, and easy way to get points, players will use this tactic. You can't always worry about the New Recruits here. What's the point of having a scoreboard where players can just easily, and i mean EASILY get points by just playing players who are basically brand new to the game, without risk of losing a lot of points?

By the way, you're suggestion of a fixed point system, has been rejected many times over.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby DrewDude on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:22 pm

I am in favor of this wall. It will also help clan recruitment to keep out the scummy people that will drag down a clan's reputation as well as let the world know that certain person is demonstrating poor sportsmanship.

As for the rating system, instead of having newcomers play ranked games out the gate you should force them to learn how the system works around here. Make them play other new players and do not award them or remove points during this learning phase and have them read some tutorials. After this period they may do as they please but I also would suggest trying to make a new game category that by default the new players play in until they get a certain amount of points or have completed a certain amount of games before releasing them into the CC world with the other people.
Sergeant 1st Class DrewDude

Postby Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:59 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
Rozebud wrote:
TheForgivenOne wrote:

And I've seen 8 player speed freestyle games get DOMINATED over and over and over and over by high rank players who are way more skilled, against players who have been here for a while.

You aren't grasping that players WILL USE your suggested system of "everyone playing for the same amount of points" To just rocket up the scoreboard, making it more skewed than it is. Set up a ton of games on a hard map, and invite players who have just come out of the 5 game New Recruit regiment. Bam, they can get easily hundreds of points.

If there is a loophole in the system, and easy way to get points, players will use this tactic. You can't always worry about the New Recruits here. What's the point of having a scoreboard where players can just easily, and i mean EASILY get points by just playing players who are basically brand new to the game, without risk of losing a lot of points?

By the way, you're suggestion of a fixed point system, has been rejected many times over.

Noobs ought to have enough of a brain to avoid difficult maps after they get killed once or twice :D

If the unfair rating system cant be fixed...players who would actually prefer to totally avoid noobs wil be forced to hold them down....

Either fix the unfair rating system or provide a way for paying cusutomers to filter them out....or stop complaining about what higher ranked players are forced to do because CC will do neither of these things :D
Last edited by Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Rozebud

Postby TheForgivenOne on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:01 pm

DrewDude wrote:As for the rating system, instead of having newcomers play ranked games out the gate you should force them to learn how the system works around here. Make them play other new players and do not award them or remove points during this learning phase and have them read some tutorials. After this period they may do as they please but I also would suggest trying to make a new game category that by default the new players play in until they get a certain amount of points or have completed a certain amount of games before releasing them into the CC world with the other people.

You do realize how many new players join the 4 games, then leave and never come back? If I joined this site, and was stuck in games that took days on end for me to get a turn, I would have quit on the spot.

Rozebud wrote:

Noobs ought to have enough of a brain to avoid difficult maps after they get killed once or twice :D

Keywords - "Ought to". many don't.
Game 1675072
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:03 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:
DrewDude wrote:As for the rating system, instead of having newcomers play ranked games out the gate you should force them to learn how the system works around here. Make them play other new players and do not award them or remove points during this learning phase and have them read some tutorials. After this period they may do as they please but I also would suggest trying to make a new game category that by default the new players play in until they get a certain amount of points or have completed a certain amount of games before releasing them into the CC world with the other people.

You do realize how many new players join the 4 games, then leave and never come back? If I joined this site, and was stuck in games that took days on end for me to get a turn, I would have quit on the spot.

Rozebud wrote:

Too bad for them...only the strong survive...in the real world :D
Captain Rozebud

Postby Rozebud on Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:16 pm

TheForgivenOne wrote:

Rozebud wrote:

So you want to cater to dumb people with money to spend...
Captain Rozebud

Return to Archived Suggestions