Conquer Club

The Balkan Peninsula [FF] --Feb 2nd 2010--

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Balkan Peninsula [FF] --Feb 2nd 2010--

Postby MrBenn on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:09 pm

The mountains on Montana have been added on a recent update; those territories did border one another up until very recently
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby resitnecdan on Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Just a reply about the Romanian territory names. If you want to use Romanian names (like I see you did for some of the countries) please use:
Crişana and not Criaşna
Transilvania and not Transylvania
Moldova and not Moldavia

If you want to use English names than just correct the first one and keep Transylvania and Moldavia.
Proud member of The Imperial Dragoons

Highest place 30
Highest score: 2136
Most points in a game: 121
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Postby Leehar on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:14 am

resitnecdan wrote:Just a reply about the Romanian territory names. If you want to use Romanian names (like I see you did for some of the countries) please use:
Crişana and not Criaşna
Moldova and not Moldavia

If you want to use English names than just correct the first one and keep Transylvania and Moldavia.

It does say crisana in the dropdown box(and the xml as well I guess), while criasna on the map
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 am

Leehar wrote:
resitnecdan wrote:Just a reply about the Romanian territory names. If you want to use Romanian names (like I see you did for some of the countries) please use:
Crişana and not Criaşna
Moldova and not Moldavia

It does say crisana in the dropdown box(and the xml as well I guess), while criasna on the map

Yeah - I'd corrected the name once, but had to redo the map after making a schoolboy error and overwriting my working file.

I can correct the name of Crisana on the map image easily enough.
I'll also rename Transylvania, but I'm not too sure about Moldavia... this map shows that Moldavia should be divided into two regions - Moldova and Basarabia.

Hmmm..... I now wonder if I should remove Bucuresti in favour of Basarabia?
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby resitnecdan on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Well your map with Basarabia is a map of the "Greater Romania" the teritory that we had between the world wars, and the teritory that has Romanians living on it. However, the current republic of Romania (and I am under the impression that you want a map with the current diplomatic countries) does not include Basarabia. Basarabia constitutes right now the country of Moldova, which is an independent republic in its own right.
To note the difference between the region of Moldova, that is in Romania and the country Moldova.

Highest place 30
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Postby sm8900 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:51 pm

sorry if anyone has already said this; could you please add labels for each region. ie, perhaps some light grey lettering showing the region's name, over the terrirtories within a region? or alternately, a thick colored border around each bonus region, to show its borders around the territories? just an idea. I'm playing on this map now.
Private sm8900

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:07 pm

At times I did struggle for moment getting my baring of the bonus zones.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:12 pm

sm8900 wrote:sorry if anyone has already said this; could you please add labels for each region. ie, perhaps some light grey lettering showing the region's name, over the terrirtories within a region? or alternately, a thick colored border around each bonus region, to show its borders around the territories? just an idea. I'm playing on this map now.

Each bonus region is a different colour, and the border between each bonus region is thicker that the border between territories in the same region... Are you really struggling to tell the bonus regions apart?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:16 pm

resitnecdan wrote:Well your map with Basarabia is a map of the "Greater Romania" the teritory that we had between the world wars, and the teritory that has Romanians living on it. However, the current republic of Romania (and I am under the impression that you want a map with the current diplomatic countries) does not include Basarabia. Basarabia constitutes right now the country of Moldova, which is an independent republic in its own right.
To note the difference between the region of Moldova, that is in Romania and the country Moldova.

I knew that... just had a funny five minutes (I blame it on trying to read Wikipedia in Romanian)!

MrBenn wrote:
Crişana and not Criaşna
Moldova and not Moldavia

I'll also rename Transylvania, but I'm not too sure about Moldavia...

I'm thinking it would be better to leave Moldavia in order to differentiate between the Moldova region of Romania and Moldova the country...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:11 am

Despite its simplicity, this map is astounding! Kudos to Zeak and Benn. The gameplay is very well done and surprisingly fresh. I think the small bonuses being largely in the middle makes the map not so outlier-focused. And the graphics are just stunning - easy to see the bonus areas at a mere glance. So, bravo on a job well done both of you! Job well done...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby resitnecdan on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
Crişana and not Criaşna
Moldova and not Moldavia

I'm thinking it would be better to leave Moldavia in order to differentiate between the Moldova region of Romania and Moldova the country...

Well since you don't have the country of Moldova on the map I don't see the possibility of confusion. I really see the current name of Moldavia sticking right out there on the map. But it might just be my patriotism talking :D

Highest place 30
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:24 pm

resitnecdan wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
MrBenn wrote:
Crişana and not Criaşna
Moldova and not Moldavia

Well since you don't have the country of Moldova on the map I don't see the possibility of confusion. I really see the current name of Moldavia sticking right out there on the map. But it might just be my patriotism talking :D

I'm sure I had Moldova on the map? Perhaps I took it off when I cropped more closely to Romania? In that case, I shall amend all three... I might even do it this evening!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby resitnecdan on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:13 pm

There's not much point in putting Moldova in a Balkan Peninsula map anyway. Actually, according to many, Romania isn't in the Balkans either.

Highest place 30
Lieutenant resitnecdan

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:30 am

resitnecdan wrote:There's not much point in putting Moldova in a Balkan Peninsula map anyway. Actually, according to many, Romania isn't in the Balkans either.
I was referring to a label for Moldova (the country) in the unplayable grey area, which was there in some of the earlier drafts.

Anyway, here are the updated map images:

And here is the updated XML:

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/9/2259283/Balkans04.xml
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby J.Law on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Great Map! Everything was very clear and well organized. I played with 5 others and it proved to be a great map to play with a mid/large size number of people.
Cadet J.Law

Re: The Balkan Peninsula [FF] --Dec 17th 2010--

Postby iancanton on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:16 pm

we've solved the 18-region starts, but not the 2-region bosnia bonus. the last 20 completed automatic-deploy standard 1v1 games that i examined (Game 8577035to Game 8595150 had 3 such cases, with the bosnia player winning in all 3 games. while the odd +1 bosnia bonus being dropped doesn't make the map unfair on its own, there is a very simple fix that requires only minimal adjustment to the xml and no adjustment to the graphics files.

there are currently 3 sets of start positions, which i list below. note that none includes a bosnia region.

set 1: primorska, shkoder, skopje, kirklareli, muntenia.
set 2: kranjska, tirana, pelagonia, tekirdag, dubrovnik.
set 3: stajerska, fier, vardar, istanbul, raska.

i recommend changing to 2 sets of start positions.

set 1: primorska, shkoder, skopje, kirklareli, republika srpska.
set 2: delete.
set 3: stajerska, fier, vardar, istanbul, fbih.

this will allot 1 bosnia region (plus 18 others, making a total of 19) to each player in 1v1, with the start positions being ignored for games with 3 to 8 players.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby MrBenn on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:32 pm

The proposed fix for the Bosnia bonus has no impact on 3-player games, which massively increases the chance of dropping a bonus on a 3-player game.

I've just done some very quick analysis of the 1v1 games covering the gamespan you mentioned above (although included all 1v1 gametypes)... In any case, 21/28 (75%) of cases, the first player to attack won the game. 5 of the 28 games (17%) started with the first player holding the Bosnia bonus (in line with the 16.8% that was calculated by my bonus calculator spreadsheet). Of the seven games where the first player lost the game, I would suggest in at least 2 games (28%) this was due to poor tactics early on in the game (ie attacking neutrals in the first couple of rounds). I forgot to observe how many of the players attacked FBIH or Republika Srpska on the opening turn, but recall seeing at least one or two (and actually think this would be slightly higher)...

Anyway, I'm still firmly in the camp that would suggest a +1 bonus that may be dropped in around 16% of cases has minimal impact, and I'd rather not increase the odds of dropping a bonus on 3p games as a tradeoff....

Anyway, here's my rough analysis of the 28 1v1 games:
show
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ace Rimmer on Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

I don't like the legend. Kosovo is a +1 by itself, and is required for the +5 Serbia bonus. I read the legend as saying you get the +5 and the +1, not just the +5. I'm not sure how that should be spelled out better without taking up a lot of space. Maybe "Kosovo +1 if held without Serbia bonus" but that's long.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby MrBenn on Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:52 pm

jakewilliams wrote:I don't like the legend. Kosovo is a +1 by itself, and is required for the +5 Serbia bonus. I read the legend as saying you get the +5 and the +1, not just the +5. I'm not sure how that should be spelled out better without taking up a lot of space. Maybe "Kosovo +1 if held without Serbia bonus" but that's long.

The bonus name in the XML is something like "Serbia (and Kosovo)". I'd rather not change anything now, to be honest, unless it was completely incomprehensible?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby thenobodies80 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:47 pm

MrBenn wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:I don't like the legend. Kosovo is a +1 by itself, and is required for the +5 Serbia bonus. I read the legend as saying you get the +5 and the +1, not just the +5. I'm not sure how that should be spelled out better without taking up a lot of space. Maybe "Kosovo +1 if held without Serbia bonus" but that's long.

The bonus name in the XML is something like "Serbia (and Kosovo)". I'd rather not change anything now, to be honest, unless it was completely incomprehensible?

I don't think it is incomprehensible and currently it's hard to me to think about it like a real issue.

Just a thought (and maybe is a stupid idea) but add something like (only kosovo +1)?
Said that, I must admit that i don't know how you can fit it into the map.... :-k
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby iancanton on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:51 am

thanks for redrawing the danube and balancing the greece bonus against the romanian one.

MrBenn wrote:The proposed fix for the Bosnia bonus has no impact on 3-player games, which massively increases the chance of dropping a bonus on a 3-player game.

the analysis u gave above is convincing!

MrBenn wrote:

it's not completely incomprehensible. let's see if anyone else mentions it. u can try indenting kosovo in the legend a bit - solar system does this - though it won't look as good with those brackets too.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:34 am

Nice map. But I don't know why, I'm not able to win it yet... lol

You should receive a pm about MapMaker Killer serie, let me know if you interested in being added.

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:06 am

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Balkan Peninsula Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

Congratulations MrBenn and ZeakCytho, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

thenobodies80
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby natty dread on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:12 am

Congrats! =D>
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Riskismy on Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:15 am

Yay! Grats!
Lieutenant Riskismy