Conquer Club

[Abandoned] The Pueblo Revolt of 1680

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Abandoned] The Pueblo Revolt of 1680

Postby WestWind on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Map Name: The Pueblo Revolt of 1680
Mapmaker(s): WestWind
Number of Territories: 52 starting + 6 Pueblos + 6 Revolution Incitement territories + 10 Religion territories = 74
Special Features: Bonuses for developing/defending religion, bonus for using your resources to incite a revolution
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made: First, the subject matter is pretty unique. We only have a few maps that even mention the word "revolution", and few of those actually incorporate it into the gameplay. I also feel that adding a "culture" aspect to the gameplay gives it more depth and historical context. Also, this region of the United States (around New Mexico) has not really been used in a map yet, and it's a pretty unique area.

Map Images:
Current Version
Click image to enlarge.

Previous Versions

Version 2- http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/4301/pueblorevoltcopy3large.jpg
Last edited by WestWind on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class WestWind

Re: The Pueblo Revolt of 1680

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Interesting... Not familiar with the time period, but the gameplay seems sound, despite its complicatedness. I don't fully understand the functionality of the Pueblos, so they might need some explanation. Overall it seems nice, though you may want to think about your audience. Who do you want to play this? Etc. because the gameplay is only going to appeal to those with higher tolerances of complex gameplay (i.e. Das Schloss), so I suggest seriously considering toning down the gameplay, though I'm not saying it's necessary.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby WestWind on Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:52 pm

Basically, the pueblos act as a bridge between the "real" territories and the more abstract revolution territories. If you control a major pueblo you can one-way assault it's corresponding revolution incitement- you're pretty much using your resources to incite a revolution in that pueblo. If you do that for enough pueblos, you gain enough support to start getting reinforcements from the smaller surrounding pueblos you control.

Gameplay-wise, I wouldn't say it's anywhere near as complex as Das Schloss. Obviously it's not as easy as a simple region-bonus-only map, but I don't think it takes too much time to figure out. I would put it as somewhat less complex than The Third Crusade, but more complex than say, Classic.

EDIT: Whoops, typo in the explanation box for Revolution Incitement. It SHOULD read, "Hold 4 to receive a +1 bonus for each minor pueblo you control. Hold all 6 to receive a +2 bonus for each minor pueblo you control."

Postby ghirrindin on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:48 am

Pope! I'd play this! See it through and don't water down the complexity!
Sergeant ghirrindin

Postby tokle on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 pm

ghirrindin wrote:Pope! I'd play this! See it through and don't water down the complexity!

I agree. This looks great.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby WestWind on Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:52 pm

Yep, Pope! Too bad I don't know how to add the accent. I was thinking of adding him in here as a bonus somewhere, but I'm not sure. I'm glad to see some support for this!

Also, tomorrow's my last day before I leave for a nice 4-day long drive. I'll probably be able to check back in next weekend. Hoping for even more feedback by then :)

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 am

What happened to the map that you had already started?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby WestWind on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 am

Industrial Helix wrote:What happened to the map that you had already started?

Student teaching happened to it (at least as far as progress halting). Plus, I can't find it after a pretty much mandatory re-format :( Thankfully since then I've gotten a nice external HD that everything gets backed up to. I could probably look at the JPEGs of it from this site and try and draw up a decent replacement, if there's the interest for it. I do feel like this more recent map at least has a bit more potential though, since it covers an actual conflict.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=112184 - The link to my previous project IH and I are talking about, for anyone who's curious/interested. I do have some of the...uh...pieces laying around (like the major pueblo drawing), so it wouldn't be a huge deal to put this thing back together again.

Postby tokle on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:38 pm

WestWind wrote:
Industrial Helix wrote:What happened to the map that you had already started?

Student teaching happened to it (at least as far as progress halting). Plus, I can't find it after a pretty much mandatory re-format :( Thankfully since then I've gotten a nice external HD that everything gets backed up to. I could probably look at the JPEGs of it from this site and try and draw up a decent replacement, if there's the interest for it. I do feel like this more recent map at least has a bit more potential though, since it covers an actual conflict.

viewtopic.php?f=242&t=112184 - The link to my previous project IH and I are talking about, for anyone who's curious/interested. I do have some of the...uh...pieces laying around (like the major pueblo drawing), so it wouldn't be a huge deal to put this thing back together again.

I'd like to see it done.
Both these projects have good potential.
ImageImage
Major tokle

Postby WestWind on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:28 pm

So how much interest is there in this? I have limited internet access for the next 3 months, but enough to probably get an update in once a week. If there's not much interest, I probably won't bother though.

Postby Riskismy on Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I would definitely play it as well. I particularly like the intricacies offered by the Revolution Incitement (pueblos), and the two religious systems.

You mention that the major pueblos will start with heavy neutral forces, to that I would add the 10 religious 'symbols'.

The bonus for North Rio Grande seems very low to me, or perhaps you're taking into consideration the bonus from the pueblos?

I must say, the bonuses for several of the 'continents' seem off to me. Do you guys have some guidelines or algorithm to determine how much of a bonus a continent should get (number of territories / entry points vs. other inherent bonuses)?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby isaiah40 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:08 pm

Please continue!!
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby mr. CD on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:27 am

I love the looks of it, would definately like to play it. Too bad it's been silent in here for quite a while.
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:46 pm

This map definitely gets my attention. I would play this as soon as it hit beta....then again, I like the complex maps...Das Schloss is fun!

Hopefully the OP comes back to this when he can, I would greatly like to see this get through.
Major tkr4lf

Postby Nola_Lifer on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 pm

Whats up with the one blue line in upper left corner?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby MrBenn on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:25 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Riskismy on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:23 am

dammit!
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby WestWind on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:31 pm

So the funny thing about having awesome outdoor jobs in cool parts of the country is that internet access is kinda sketchy. So, now that I'm back to the land of the technological, at least for a while, I thought I'd continue working on this. Here's an update!

Click image to enlarge.

Changes: Made the borders thinner and less confusing. Also got rid of that stray blue border (I had an idea for that, but it was a dumb one). Changed some of the symbols.

The reason the N. Rio Grande Valley bonus is small is that it gives almost complete access to the major pueblos. I want gameplay to focus on the other parts of the map as well as the center.

To be done:

-Work out gameplay.
-Make the legend actually somewhat artistic. Right now it's just bare-bones to give the foundry an idea of the gameplay.
-Work on doodads and other "flavor" illustrations.

I'm looking for criticism on anything, but mostly right now gameplay and overall style.

Postby Industrial Helix on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Well looks like this one is back on track.so it's been moved back into the drafting room.
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby The Bison King on Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:57 pm

Very cool! I like the style. I'd definitely say that this has a lot of potential. As for specific criticisms I've got nothing at the moment, I'll look at it some more in the near future.

Also I stayed a night in modern day Las Vegas New Mexico... Yeah, it's a complete ship-hole

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby Flapcake on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:53 am

Nice map :)

My comment for now: I think you need to explain what the "Pueblos" do, ther funktion and so on. Its kind of foggy to me :-?
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby WestWind on Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:55 am

Yay, thanks IH. My Thanksgiving resolution is to actually get a map completed.

I'll be working more on the graphics once I'm back from break and have my tablet back...

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:59 am

Look forward watching this map progress, I think it has some good potential.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby WestWind on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Flapcake wrote:Nice map :)

My comment for now: I think you need to explain what the "Pueblos" do, ther funktion and so on. Its kind of foggy to me :-?

There's 2 different types of Pueblos, major and minor.

Major Pueblos give access to the "Revolution Incitement" territories, which give a bonus based on how many "Revolution Incitement" territories you hold as well as how many minor Pueblos you hold. Major Pueblos connect to the territory below them.

Minor Pueblos are just part of territories. They only give you a bonus if you hold a certain amount of "Revolution Incitement" territories.

For example, if you held all 6 Revolution Incitement territories as well as Acoma, Estancia, and Isleta, you would get a +6 bonus because each minor Pueblo is now worth +2. If, however, you only held 4 Revolution Incitement territories you would only have a +3 bonus because each minor Pueblo would only be worth +1.

Re: The Pueblo Revolt of 1680 V2 [12/3/2011] (page 2)

Postby WestWind on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:13 pm

New update! See below:

Click image to enlarge.

Changes:
-Re-drew borders, overall graphic improvements
-Reorganized legend, I think it's less cluttered now. Replaced territory bonus info with a simple minimap
-Found a font that's great for the large version, but struggles in the small version
-Added the requisite first-post information

Need feedback on:
-Everything! Most importantly, basic gameplay and design.

Next

Return to Recycling Box