Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Epic Epoch

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: A little something I doodled a while ago.

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:12 pm

MrBenn wrote:Bonus values should reflect the ease with which an area can be held/defended.

Nice little corners have their overall bonus plus bonuses within them so have an overall bonus greater than they do in classicm, and therefore need to be harder to defend (and the Australia bonus is too easy in Classic anyway).
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:00 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Bonus values should reflect the ease with which an area can be held/defended.

Nice little corners have their overall bonus plus bonuses within them so have an overall bonus greater than they do in classicm, and therefore need to be harder to defend (and the Australia bonus is too easy in Classic anyway).

This is something I'd agree with, actually.

Suppose there was some significance to the river? Like, some territories can attack downriver, so that Ocean/Seascape have more entranceways?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Something like that would be cool - although I think we have more than just the 'Australia' corner issue here:

Take 'Africa'

Appropriately given the Oasis bonus system :D

29 regions, 6 places to defend, +21 doods per turn., attackable from 3 continents.

In Classic it has 6 regions, +3 doods and 3 defending points, attackable from 3 continents.

In W 2.1 it has 25 regions, +15 doods and 5 defending points. attackable from 3 sub-continents and Antartica (therefore, more-or-less a 4th (sub)continent).

Whilst adjusting values may help the defending-points-no.-regions-bonus-value ratio, continents would still not have enough close links to other continents in my view.

A river system would help, although, would it help link 'Africa' , 'Australia' and 'S America' ? Or maybe coastal ports would help?

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:50 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:A river system would help, although, would it help link 'Africa' , 'Australia' and 'S America' ? Or maybe coastal ports would help?

Or maybe Woodboro stations? :P
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm not sure that there's room for full-on stations.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:07 pm

Radio stations wouldn't really fit the style of the map. IMO.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:32 pm

Yeah, although my extra ports idea might be tricky to add graphically too - it wcould maybe be something like this:

Introduce mountains and coastal areas around the edge s of the map (maybe also use mountains as internal impassables too)

Have red ports in ''Africa' and 'SE Asia'

Have blue ports in 'NE Asia' and 'N America'

Have both colour posts in S America' and 'Australia'

Same colour ports either link directly or via a (small) killer neutral sea region.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:I'm not sure that there's room for full-on stations.

Eh, I think you could fit them. Make them smaller/more simplified and possibly adjust a border or two and I think it'd work fine :)

natty_dread wrote:Radio stations wouldn't really fit the style of the map. IMO.

What is the style of the map, then, if not a conglomeration of several rather different maps?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 pm

Just because the gameplay and theme was borrowed from several maps, doesn't mean the map doesn't have a style... I don't think lunar shuttles would fit this map either, or missile bases.

Time-period-wise, the map seems less than modern... There's a castle under siege in the middle, some more castles in the feudal part... the most modern thing is the city mogul part with the factories, so I'd rate this at most to 19th century. Therefore I don't think commercial radio stations would fit too well there.

By the way... now that I brought up the siege part... I think, it would make more sense for the siege area to be an inset, rather than the Cairns coral coast area... You have tiny castles in the feudal area, so how would the castle that's under siege be a whole bonus area in another area? It would require some rearrangement, but it could be done, I think...

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:24 pm

natty_dread wrote:Just because the gameplay and theme was borrowed from several maps, doesn't mean the map doesn't have a style... I don't think lunar shuttles would fit this map either, or missile bases.

Time-period-wise, the map seems less than modern... There's a castle under siege in the middle, some more castles in the feudal part... the most modern thing is the city mogul part with the factories, so I'd rate this at most to 19th century. Therefore I don't think commercial radio stations would fit too well there.

By the way... now that I brought up the siege part... I think, it would make more sense for the siege area to be an inset, rather than the Cairns coral coast area... You have tiny castles in the feudal area, so how would the castle that's under siege be a whole bonus area in another area? It would require some rearrangement, but it could be done, I think...

Your trying to put a time period on this map, when you really shouldn't be... You're trying to quantify it in ways it's not supposed to be... The thematic focus is the merging of the different maps.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Just because it's stiched together from several other maps doesn't mean that it can't have a consistent theme as a whole.

Postby Victor Sullivan on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:29 pm

natty_dread wrote:Just because it's stiched together from several other maps doesn't mean that it can't have a consistent theme as a whole.

Right, and I'm not saying that it doesn't necessarily. It just seems silly to exclude another map piece for the sake of its pieces seeming to fit in a relative time era, when that's really not the focus.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:35 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:
natty_dread wrote:Just because it's stiched together from several other maps doesn't mean that it can't have a consistent theme as a whole.

Right, and I'm not saying that it doesn't necessarily. It just seems silly to exclude another map piece for the sake of its pieces seeming to fit in a relative time era, when that's really not the focus.

It's more than just a time frame.

Woodboro was about radio stations competing for listeners. So on the context of that map it made sense for the radio antennas to be able to assault far away. Even in that map they weren't really connected together though, so I don't see why they should be here...

Anyway, the main point is, this map is not about competing for listeners. It has areas with armies conquering them. Castles etc. So radio stations functioning as a teleports really wouldn't make sense on this map.

Postby Teflon Kris on Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:47 pm

Ports and ships :D

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:07 pm

natty_dread wrote:Anyway, the main point is, this map is not about competing for listeners. It has areas with armies conquering them. Castles etc. So radio stations functioning as a teleports really wouldn't make sense on this map.

I'm actually with Victor on this one. The theme of this map is making homage a bunch of CC maps. If it bothers you that the castle in Enclave is supermassive next to the castle in Aeternum, well... there's a few ways of logically solving that. But there's no reason to think there's a single specific time period, or even a single specific meaning to what an 'army' is.

DJ Teflon wrote:Ports and ships :D

Maybe I should put a Seascape port in the Ocean area? Just that link would be pretty significant, and I wouldn't even have to add any territories.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:
DJ Teflon wrote:Ports and ships :D

Maybe I should put a Seascape port in the Ocean area? Just that link would be pretty significant, and I wouldn't even have to add any territories.

This seems like a good idea to me.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Should I put a few more down? AB2? EB4? Something like that?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby natty dread on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:19 am

I think Ocean will be enough...

Postby Riskismy on Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:48 am

Very cool map. I like all the different kinds of bonuses.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:30 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Should I put a few more down? AB2? EB4? Something like that?

I'd say yes., although maybe the E-area doesn't need one as much as F and N (and I couldn't find AB2).

:)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:38 pm

AB2 is next to the lake.

Well, ports wouldn't work very well in the desert, so how about....

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Cool - although, balance-wise, it has now tipped against Seascape - how about "Same coloured ports connect" and having just one 'international' port in there?

;)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:29 pm

I don't think that's really an actual balance problem. It's not like one player starts near Seascape and *has* to take over that area. In fact, Seascape's unique bonus structure doesn't mean as much if the whole thing just gets conquered as a chunk.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Victor Sullivan on Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah, I think I like it as is.
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:I don't think that's really an actual balance problem. It's not like one player starts near Seascape and *has* to take over that area. In fact, Seascape's unique bonus structure doesn't mean as much if the whole thing just gets conquered as a chunk.

I agree that it would'nt be unfair - it would just result in seasscape being a less desirable area as grabbing a bunch of bonuses would be more dificult to hold there than elsewhere. However, this maybe just means some value tinkering in a later forum - where this map may as well be now (hint hint).

:D

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box