Conquer Club

The King's Court [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The King's Court [GP,GX,XML,BETA]

Postby myfriendkyle on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 am

I didn't read the whole thread and I apologize if this has already been brought up.

I just noticed that the King does not revert to 7 neutral at the end of the turn. Another player had attacked the king and then a castle the turn before mine and he still held the king territ with 1 of his troops when I hit start. It doesn't seem to fit the strategy. Or was that intended? Kind of a risky move to go for the king just to have another player waltz right in after you've cleared the way.

It was in a freestyle map, but he had finished his turn an hour before I began mine.

Again, if this has been addressed then I apologize. Fun map!
Sergeant 1st Class myfriendkyle

Postby natty dread on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:51 am

Reverting to neutral always happens at the beginning of your turn.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby GoranZ on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:07 am

2 castles for start...
pos: with 1v1 perfect setting
neg: with 2v2 all castles will be taken and everything will be up to the turn order and location. not too big problem with good strategy.

1 castle for start...
pos. good for all except for 1v1 with good strategy
neg. with 1v1 it might take 10+ turns in order to players to meat... the games will be long and probably not interesting. 8 neutrals per castle make even bigger problem, 2v2 game will be mainly defensive one, wait for the opponents to attack neutral castle and hope(or calculate based on automatic drop order) that u will find them on your attack that will follow.

I vote for 2 castles per player
Brigadier GoranZ

Postby myfriendkyle on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:20 pm

natty_dread wrote:Reverting to neutral always happens at the beginning of your turn.

Yes I understand that, but I think for this map The King should revert to neutral at the beginning of anyone's turn, not just the person that holds it. As I stated above, by it not reverting to neutral you are given the ability to use it at basically no expense to the next player. Of course the player before you could have had the "foresight" to leave seven of HIS troops to block your advance, only to be wiped out and replaced by seven neutrals when it got back to be his turn.

The King is only useful when someone has already gone through it and you can clean up after them... or if you have escalating spoils.

Also, in a team game, if two partner hold the Council they could trade the King back and forth preventing the space from ever returning to neutral.

Again, if this is the idea, then cool. I'm not going to say I know what you should do with your map. I just thought that the game would make more sense if each player had to go through the 7 neutrals on the king before being able to use him.

Can the xml or whatever have a space that reverts to neutral at the beginning of each player's turn? I don't even know if it's possible, but this is what I think would be ideal for this space on this map.

Cheers.
Sergeant 1st Class myfriendkyle

Postby natty dread on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:30 am

That's not possible.

Postby Huegelkoenig on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:27 am

generally speaking, i like this map, there's just one thing that keeps annoying me.
its about the counsellors...
their order in the game is
Lord Chamberlain, The Duke, The Bishop, Field Marshal
but in the dropdwonmenu, where you can select where to attack (from) - or reinforce (from) - they are ordered alphabeticaly
field marshal, lord chamberlain, the bishop, the duke

so i would suggest to simply change their order on the map (and the order of their description on the top right corner) into an alphabetical one, so their order would coincide with the order on the dropdownmenu
this wouldnt change the gameplay in any kind, but would improve the handling of the game, since you dont always have to watch out for the names of them.
or simply rename them in the dropdownmenu to something like
Co1: Lord Chamberlain, Co2: The Duke, Co3: The Bishop, Co4: Field Marshal
so you wouldnt need to photoshop the map
Lieutenant Huegelkoenig

Postby MrBenn on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:13 am

chipv wrote:Ok I have word this change may be a week or so away
The discussion about starting positions and a potential adjustment to the way the xml works is pretty much the only thing keeping this map in Beta. Chip and I have decided to wait a couple of weeks to see if lack can pull a trick out of the bag for us...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:32 am

MrBenn wrote:
The discussion about starting positions and a potential adjustment to the way the xml works is pretty much the only thing keeping this map in Beta. Chip and I have decided to wait a couple of weeks to see if lack can pull a trick out of the bag for us...

that would be sweet :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby jefjef on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:32 pm

Fun and interesting map Kab and crew! =D>

I recently tried to fort Castle F with troops from Noble D and it ended up being

reinforced Noble F with 4 troops from Noble D

Please confirm that the XML is correct and that I only mis-clicked.

Thanks!
This post was made by jefjef who should be on your ignore list.
drunkmonkey wrote:I'm filing a C&A report right now. Its nice because they have a drop-down for "jefjef".
Colonel jefjef

Postby Kabanellas on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:49 pm

jefjef wrote:Fun and interesting map Kab and crew! =D>

I recently tried to fort Castle F with troops from Noble D and it ended up being

reinforced Noble F with 4 troops from Noble D

Please confirm that the XML is correct and that I only mis-clicked.

Thanks!

thank you Jef ! ... you probably miss-clicked the XML seems correct ;)
Major Kabanellas

Postby DJENRE on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:46 am

Amazing map. I'll need many games to play it correctly I presume but I'll try again. I'm not sure yet about the best tactic.

Good work
Let me know if you're interested in joining MapMaker Killer.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=137470
BIG PRIZES! CSOP Hold'em
YOU LIKE MONOPOLY? PLAY IT on CC => CONQUEROPOLY
YOU'RE A MEDAL HUNTER? HUNT ALL THE MEDALS YOU NEED HERE!
BIG TRIBE TOURNAMENT VI NATIONS 2018
Corporal 1st Class DJENRE

Location: āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ āœŖ

Postby hagardunor on Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:55 am

i think about a little bug ( Game 8590481 ) i can see the knight from other team but i havent no contact and not another knight archer or catapult...

I can give my ident in MP for a map maker when he want looking that
Cook hagardunor

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 am

Do you hold the duke?

Postby hagardunor on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:08 am

natty_dread wrote:Do you hold the duke?

oups... yes sorry :oops:
Cook hagardunor

Postby MrBenn on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 pm

MrBenn wrote:

I have a feeling that the magic bag has moved a little closer now that the clickable maps update has been made...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:05 pm

Ah, le sac magique, le sac magique! (I can't quite remember what children's program that was from, but it was a British production, so perhaps MrBenn recognizes the reference.)
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby knubbel on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:48 am

Did only read the last 3 pages...
but why are the starting positions so unfair? In some positions there are two villages in some we only have one. starting in a corner is way better. all starting positions should be equal.
Major knubbel

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, it is a really volatile and fast map with troops jumping here and there in no time, so I guess it's not a big deal. That said, I agree with knubbe, V6 should probalby be at F6.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby MrBenn on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:13 pm

ender516 wrote:Ah, le sac magique, le sac magique! (I can't quite remember what children's program that was from, but it was a British production, so perhaps MrBenn recognizes the reference.)

I'm a tot, Je suis une tot, Tilly Tom and Tiny... da-de-da-da da-de-da-da... One two three.... da-de-da-da da-de-da-da... Tots TV!

In other news, the required XML updated is currently in the testing phase... These are certainly exciting times!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby snlfam on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:39 am

I have played this map a number of times because I think the design is incredible :mrgreen: ... however, I have also found that the side castles (B,D,F,H) have a distinct disadvantage in that 2 trebuchets can attack them whereas only 1 trebuchet can attack each corner castle. This means that the side castles can be bombarded by 4 catapults through the 2 trebuchets. :( This is compared to 1 trebuchet and 2 catapults for the corner castles. With the auto-deploy of 2 on catapults, players with side castles are extremely vulnerable.

I really hope you can solve this inherent unfairness, because I love everything else about the map. :D
Lieutenant snlfam

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am

I'm of the same opinion. There are some differences between the castles, some of them more serious than others. I'm not quite sure what to do about most of them without re-doing most all of the map - and I don't think they're serious enough to warrant that.

Do you have any suggestions on how to address the issue you brought up?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby chipv on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:22 pm

LIVE CHANGE

Players can only have a maximum of 2 castles to start with - this will affect 1v1 games where players now get 2 castles instead of 4.
Captain chipv

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Why hasn't this XML update been announced anywhere?

...oh, I see it just was... silly me.

Postby soundman on Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Several concerns on gameplay have been brought up. Are we going to get any feedback soon?
Lieutenant soundman

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 am

snlfam wrote:I have played this map a number of times because I think the design is incredible :mrgreen: ... however, I have also found that the side castles (B,D,F,H) have a distinct disadvantage in that 2 trebuchets can attack them whereas only 1 trebuchet can attack each corner castle. This means that the side castles can be bombarded by 4 catapults through the 2 trebuchets. :( This is compared to 1 trebuchet and 2 catapults for the corner castles. With the auto-deploy of 2 on catapults, players with side castles are extremely vulnerable.

I really hope you can solve this inherent unfairness, because I love everything else about the map. :D

Hi, this was all covered and discussed previously in this thread. Actually I even posted a table where all game-play factors appear:

Click image to enlarge.

there you can see that the Castles bombarded by 4 catapults ( 2 trebuchets) have a slighter advantage, in the total rating, compared to the ones bombarded by 2 (1trebuchet). But to be honest, I must say that I'm not really sure that being able to reach only 1 trebuchet instead of 2 is an advantage - depending on the perspective you might think that's just the opposite. I've felt it quite often when playing this map.
Major Kabanellas

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas