Conquer Club

Extreme Global Warming [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby casper on Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Great idea. Looks like you did some research. I came across this site. http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet Anyone who's interested in what the world's land masses will look like at different sea levels should check it out. You can type in any rise (or drop) in sea level. Try around 300 m and pepperonibread's map is dead on.

Africa is going to be quite difficult to hold I imagine since it's split in two by the red zone. And the southern half of Africa is too isolated imo.
Major casper

Postby Keredrex on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:30 pm

Love it Keep going.... But I think That red band needs to be worked a little ... Maybe smaller or transparent, something it takes away a little from the whole...
Sergeant 1st Class Keredrex

Postby joystickgenie on Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:53 pm

PimpCaneYoAss wrote:Heres an example of a map of the future...

Maybe take some advice from that. Maybe it can help. Otherwise i love the map. great idea was thinking about it myself.

and to respond to DiM's comment, it has to deal with areas closet to the ice caps as well.

I don't know. that map doesn't make that much sense either. why is Florida still above water? why is there that new continent in the pacific. what is this based on?

Shinobi Nations
Comments are greatly appreciated.
Cadet joystickgenie

Postby 1st chair flute on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:13 am

sounds like a great map wade but the uninhabbitable zone should be less of a pop out thing. and bonouses need to be adjusted but looks really great. and in response to the comments about global warming, its just for the fun of it were not sayingf its true it is just a general idea
Blue

who needs a good signature when you look like i do
Cook 1st chair flute

Postby Crowley on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:21 am

casper wrote:Great idea. Looks like you did some research. I came across this site. http://merkel.zoneo.net/Topo/Applet Anyone who's interested in what the world's land masses will look like at different sea levels should check it out.

Looks like South Africa will be pretty safe! WHOOHOO!
All you guys are welcome at my house...
Corporal 1st Class Crowley

Postby jacobh on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:34 am

I don't understand... other than the fact that it looks kinda different, how is this map different from Classic or World 2.0?
Major jacobh

Postby pepperonibread on Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:19 pm

ok, heres the map that i based my map on
in photoshop, i eliminated all of the lowest elevations of green, and got my landmasses from that
since this is a satellite picture and antarctica is covered in ice, it pretty much looks like a huge plateau, but im not sure if when all the ice melts off some of antarctica's lower elevations would flood. antarctica could just be a plateau without the ice. again, im not sure.
and about the uninhabitable zone (red band), when i changed the image from a photoshop doc to a jpeg, some of the colors got a little weird, but ill fix that soon
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby coconut4paws on Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:41 pm

You should not erase the water covered land, but fade or blur it out. It would show the global warming effect more and it would just plain be cool. The thermal image would look cooler as a base, and show more of the global warming aspect. You could just use black lines as dividers and throw in some cool science/math blurbs... :D Have fun with it!
You're obsessed with CC when...
codyjd wrote:When you're listening to a history lecture and think, "wow, Hitler had really good dice."
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby dominationnation on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:18 pm

I think that you should make the red band only in certain areas in the equater and make it uncrossalbe. Along with that It doesn't look much different from classic or world2.1 do something to shake it up :idea:
Cook dominationnation

Postby KEYOGI on Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:26 pm

I agree with those that have said this doesn't offer much over Classic or World 2.0. I'm just not sure we need another map of the world.

Personally I'd find it much more interesting if it was focused on a particular area that was heavily affected. Just as an example, say it was based in Europe... I'd like to see some more islands and perhaps even go as far as having marshes or swamps as impassables along with some desert areas?
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:42 am

coconut4paws wrote:You should not erase the water covered land, but fade or blur it out. It would show the global warming effect more and it would just plain be cool. The thermal image would look cooler as a base, and show more of the global warming aspect. You could just use black lines as dividers and throw in some cool science/math blurbs... :D Have fun with it!

yeah, that would look really cool
thanks
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:29 pm

I think the uninhabitable zone color should be toned down a bit. It's almost impossible to see the territories behind it.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 pm

GreecePwns wrote:I think the uninhabitable zone color should be toned down a bit. It's almost impossible to see the territories behind it.

ok, i guess i need to clarify this in the map key
the uninhabitable zone is an impassable border except for along the ocean routes that go through it, so, theres no territories in the uninhabitable zone
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby coconut4paws on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm

pepperonibread wrote:
coconut4paws wrote:You should not erase the water covered land, but fade or blur it out. It would show the global warming effect more and it would just plain be cool. The thermal image would look cooler as a base, and show more of the global warming aspect. You could just use black lines as dividers and throw in some cool science/math blurbs... :D Have fun with it!

yeah, that would look really cool
thanks

Thanx wade, By the way this is Lori...so yeah...I had a smart moment.
codyjd wrote:When you're listening to a history lecture and think, "wow, Hitler had really good dice."
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby pepperonibread on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:51 pm

yeah i know
thats your email too, right?
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby coconut4paws on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:54 pm

yep!
Cadet coconut4paws

Postby piano94 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:11 pm

I like it but the red zone "pops" out too much. Great idea though!
Cook piano94

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:25 am

pepperonibread wrote:Image
ok, heres the map that i based my map on
in photoshop, i eliminated all of the lowest elevations of green, and got my landmasses from that
since this is a satellite picture and antarctica is covered in ice, it pretty much looks like a huge plateau, but im not sure if when all the ice melts off some of antarctica's lower elevations would flood. antarctica could just be a plateau without the ice. again, im not sure.
and about the uninhabitable zone (red band), when i changed the image from a photoshop doc to a jpeg, some of the colors got a little weird, but ill fix that soon

read the whole thread, please
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby Lt. Valerian on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:53 am

Um, I hate to be a naysayer... but this map is very much like classic and 2.1. Also, it is somewhat inconsistent. If the water level has risen to the point where Russia (including the Ural Mountains) all but disappears beneath the ocean, then I think that Hawaii and French Polynesia would disappear too... Just a thought.
Major Lt. Valerian

Postby wrightfan123 on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:55 pm

Lt. Valerian wrote:Um, I hate to be a naysayer... but this map is very much like classic and 2.1. Also, it is somewhat inconsistent. If the water level has risen to the point where Russia (including the Ural Mountains) all but disappears beneath the ocean, then I think that Hawaii and French Polynesia would disappear too... Just a thought.

Wade, maybe you should clarify this, too. French Polynesia and Bermuda and all those other random circles and man-made ports.
Corporal wrightfan123

Location: Looking over every baseball team's schedule to try to determine who will win the World Series.

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:43 pm

yeah, the ports are supposed to be like walled cities that were saved
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:56 pm

maybe UK should be called Scotland, as that's really all that seems to be left!
Where has Mount Snowdon gone, I wonder... probably to small to register at this scale...
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby pepperonibread on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:01 pm

sure, i can change that
Corporal pepperonibread

Postby fluffybunnykins on Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:03 pm

it'll keep all the Jocks happy, anyway!

[Jock: english derogatory slang for person of scottish origin]
Superman wears 'Fluffybunnykins' pyjamas
Corporal 1st Class fluffybunnykins

Postby jacobh on Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:59 pm

pepperonibread wrote:yeah, the ports are supposed to be like walled cities that were saved

French Polynesia is a walled city that was saved...? :roll:
Major jacobh

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas