Conquer Club

ratings tags

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Do you like this suggestion?

Yes, I like the suggestion as it currently is.
75%
No, I don't like the suggestion.
13%
I'm indifferent as to the outcome.
6%
I feel more needs to get worked out before this suggestion moves forward.
6%

Total votes : 16

ratings tags

Postby Darwins_Bane on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:28 am

Concise description:
Show the most often received rating tag(s) in the user profile beside their rating.

Specifics:
Basically, along with showing the rating that each person has in their profile, also display the most or the couple most often given tags to go along with their ratings.

This will improve the following aspects of the site:
  • allow you to more easily pick out qualities based on other people's opinions
  • encourage better and fairer use of the tags and ratings system
Corporal Darwins_Bane

Show the most common rating tags received on player profile

Postby Jatekos on Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:16 am

Concise description:
    Tags seem to describe players more accurately than the stars given to them. With the implementation of this suggestion, I think we could make good use of them similarly to the rating averages displayed for the attributes.

• Display the 1 rating tag that the player has received the most time, on the player's profile.
  • Display the 3 most common rating tags that the player has received on the ratings page, below the average ratings of the attributes. Indicate % of all tags recieved.

Specifics/Details:
  • Display the 1 rating tag that the player has received the most on the player's profile.
    E.g. Rating: 4.7 Good teammate
  • Display the 3 most common rating tags that the player has received on the ratings page, below the average ratings of the attributes.
    E.g.
    Attribute - Average
    Fair Play 4.7 (rated by 59 players)
    Gameplay 4.6 (rated by 59 players)
    Attitude 4.7 (rated by 58 players)
    Overall 4.7 (rated by 59 players)

Tag - % of all tags received
    Good teammate 25
    Complainer 22
    Good strategy 17

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Provides useful information by highlighting the most common (probably the most relevant) tags.
  • Saves time of checking lots of ratings.
  • Encourages players to rate others and to use tags. May as well encourage good sportmanship, as the most common tags received will be more noticable.
  • Makes it easier to decide whether to join a game with someone or not (for those, who care about it).
Major Jatekos

Re: Show the most common rating tags received on player prof

Postby Woodruff on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 am

Jatekos wrote:Concise description:
    Tags seem to describe players more accurately than the stars given to them. With the implementation of this suggestion, I think we could make good use of them similarly to the rating averages displayed for the attributes.

• Display the 1 rating tag that the player has received the most time, on the player's profile.
  • Display the 3 most common rating tags that the player has received on the ratings page, below the average ratings of the attributes. Indicate % of all tags recieved.

Specifics/Details:
  • Display the 1 rating tag that the player has received the most on the player's profile.
    E.g. Rating: 4.7 Good teammate
  • Display the 3 most common rating tags that the player has received on the ratings page, below the average ratings of the attributes.
    E.g.
    Attribute - Average
    Fair Play 4.7 (rated by 59 players)
    Gameplay 4.6 (rated by 59 players)
    Attitude 4.7 (rated by 58 players)
    Overall 4.7 (rated by 59 players)

Tag - % of all tags received
    Good teammate 25
    Complainer 22
    Good strategy 17

How this will benefit the site and/or other comments:
  • Provides useful information by highlighting the most common (probably the most relevant) tags.
  • Saves time of checking lots of ratings.
  • Encourages players to rate others and to use tags. May as well encourage good sportmanship, as the most common tags received will be more noticable.
  • Makes it easier to decide whether to join a game with someone or not (for those, who care about it).

This seems like a good idea to me, and easily coded. Some resolution would need to be determined for "ties for first", if you will.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:07 am

Few people even give a tag and those that do are most often those giving negative comments. I cannot think of a single tag that I have gotten more than a dozen times, but I have played thousands of games. So, while well-intended, I think this would not benefit people much at all.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Jatekos on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:09 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Few people even give a tag and those that do are most often those giving negative comments. I cannot think of a single tag that I have gotten more than a dozen times, but I have played thousands of games. So, while well-intended, I think this would not benefit people much at all.

Have you checked the ratings you received? :) You have good strategy, quick and friendly tags all over the first page of your ratings. On the first page, almost every 2nd rater gave tags to you.

I think that generally there are more thoughts put in those ratings that have tags attached to them than to the ones without tags. These are usually not the 'let's give everyone 5s' type. Agreed, everyone receives negative comments as well, but usually only a few (unless they are given for a reason).

Also, I think that if implemented, it will encourage players to rate others and to use tags more often.
Major Jatekos

Postby Jatekos on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:16 pm

Woodruff wrote:This seems like a good idea to me, and easily coded. Some resolution would need to be determined for "ties for first", if you will.

Thanks Woodruff. You're right, there can be ties as well.
How about displaying the tag that was recieved first (or last) out of those that have been received the same times.
Major Jatekos

Postby Arama86n on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:31 pm

=D> =D> =D>
awesome idea, you got my vote.
Major Arama86n

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Jatekos wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Few people even give a tag and those that do are most often those giving negative comments. I cannot think of a single tag that I have gotten more than a dozen times, but I have played thousands of games. So, while well-intended, I think this would not benefit people much at all.

Have you checked the ratings you received? :) You have good strategy, quick and friendly tags all over the first page of your ratings. On the first page, almost every 2nd rater gave tags to you.

I think that generally there are more thoughts put in those ratings that have tags attached to them than to the ones without tags. These are usually not the 'let's give everyone 5s' type. Agreed, everyone receives negative comments as well, but usually only a few (unless they are given for a reason).

Also, I think that if implemented, it will encourage players to rate others and to use tags more often.

Yes, I do occasionally look at my tags.

At first, more people (including myself) gave tags, but it was kind of a "fad" that died out. Now, most people only use tags when something extraordinary happens.

The real problem is that ratings themselves don't tell much -- with or without tags, in part because they are so changeable. I can play 20 games with someone, then if I play another game where something happens.. maybe we are both in a bad mood, maybe I wind up deadbeating ( I usually don't rate people poorly just for deadbeating).. whatever, but I get a bad rating.

Also, I think the tags, as they exist right now, are just not all that informative. This might be a decent idea, but I would first like to see the ratings averaged, the tags improved, then this might make sense.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Jatekos on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:36 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:Now, most people only use tags when something extraordinary happens.

Would you say that the good strategy, quick and friendly tags you received mostly (on your first page) were given because of extraordinary circumstances, and they are wrongly describing your behaviour?

PLAYER57832 wrote:The real problem is that ratings themselves don't tell much -- with or without tags, in part because they are so changeable. I can play 20 games with someone, then if I play another game where something happens.. maybe we are both in a bad mood, maybe I wind up deadbeating ( I usually don't rate people poorly just for deadbeating).. whatever, but I get a bad rating.

I don't think it is too much of a problem. Ratings and tags can be updated to be better or worse as well. If you are in a bad mood or deadbeat then you should not expect perfect rating with nice tags. However, if you play with the rater next time and behave differently then I think you could mutually agree to withdraw the prevous ratings at least. As most people improve over time, ratings (and tags) should usually be improved, in my opinion.

PLAYER57832 wrote:Also, I think the tags, as they exist right now, are just not all that informative. This might be a decent idea, but I would first like to see the ratings averaged, the tags improved, then this might make sense.

If by having the 'ratings averaged', you mean that ratings are generally too good then I totally agree with you. Unfortunately this will probably not change in the foreseeable future, so I would not delay any other improvements because of this.
There is another thread about the review of explanatory tags, but I don't think that we should wait for the outcome of that idea either. If there will be new tags, fine. This idea could work with any tags.
Last edited by Jatekos on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Jatekos

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:31 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
Jatekos wrote:

Yes, I do occasionally look at my tags.
At first, more people (including myself) gave tags, but it was kind of a "fad" that died out. Now, most people only use tags when something extraordinary happens.

PLAYER, he specifically mentioned your "first page" of ratings...those are your most recent ratings. So it's obviously not a fad, at least amongst your most recently completed opponents.

I use a tag in probably 70% or more of my opponents.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby pmchugh on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:55 am

Jatekos wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Now, most people only use tags when something extraordinary happens.

Would you say that the good strategy, quick and friendly tags you received mostly (on your first page) were given because of extraordinary circumstances, and they are wrongly describing your behaviour?
[/quote]

To be honest I'm pretty sure 80% of people will have those three rating as their top 3. Although I don't mind the suggestion would be nice if added but not essential.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:32 am

Sure, a lot of people don't use tags, and a lot of people just leave 5 stars across the board no matter what, but that doesn't mean they're useless. If one person leaves a tag of "Rude" or "Deadbeat", it could be a fluke. But what if, say 20 people have left those tags in the last few months? It could be useful information. I like the idea. For the reasons I just stated, I think 2 stipulations should be added:

1) Only tags left in a certain time frame should be noted. People can change, and a rude player who gets his act together shouldn't be punished for his old ways.
2) There should be a minimum # of the same tag before they're displayed. You shouldn't be flagged with poor tags because you ran into a couple jerks recently.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:04 am

I want to be clear. I really do not have a problem with this idea. I just am not too sure it will fix anything.

I think most people deserve good ratings, because most people here play reasonably, etc.

The problem with bad ratings is not for people like myself who have a few thousand games, it is for those just starting out and who wind up playing one of the few jerks, getting an undeserved bad rating. That said, that has always been an issue.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 am

drunkmonkey wrote:Sure, a lot of people don't use tags, and a lot of people just leave 5 stars across the board no matter what, but that doesn't mean they're useless. If one person leaves a tag of "Rude" or "Deadbeat", it could be a fluke. But what if, say 20 people have left those tags in the last few months? It could be useful information. I like the idea. For the reasons I just stated, I think 2 stipulations should be added:

1) Only tags left in a certain time frame should be noted. People can change, and a rude player who gets his act together shouldn't be punished for his old ways.
2) There should be a minimum # of the same tag before they're displayed. You shouldn't be flagged with poor tags because you ran into a couple jerks recently.

Very good additions.

Postby Jatekos on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:34 pm

pmchugh wrote:
Jatekos wrote:

To be honest I'm pretty sure 80% of people will have those three rating as their top 3.

I am not so sure.Tags like complainer, deadbeat, poor strategy, bad teammate and silent are also popular for certain players, especially towards the end of the scoreboard.
pmchugh wrote:Although I don't mind the suggestion would be nice if added but not essential.

No, not essential, just provides useful info.
Major Jatekos

Postby Jatekos on Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:55 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:Sure, a lot of people don't use tags, and a lot of people just leave 5 stars across the board no matter what, but that doesn't mean they're useless. If one person leaves a tag of "Rude" or "Deadbeat", it could be a fluke. But what if, say 20 people have left those tags in the last few months? It could be useful information. I like the idea. For the reasons I just stated, I think 2 stipulations should be added:

1) I oppose this one, for the same reason as I would not like 'Give Ratings a Lifetime or Fill Zone' to be implemented. Simply, the more ratings and the more tags the better. The result is less biaised, and more accurate, because they reflect more people's opinion.
Yes, there are rude players, but why would we want to hide them? If they get less rude then their ratings and their tags will also reflect the change. This is obviously a gradual process, if they have been rude for long (I think this is not something someone playing normally should worry about).
By the way, this info is already available, but on several pages of ratings. I only intend to highlight the most important ones. If someone has been rude / friendly recently, then their ratings already reflect their attributes, I believe.

2) Is there a minimum number of ratings to be achieved before the current averages are displayed for the rating of different attributes?
Major Jatekos

Postby pmchugh on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Jatekos wrote:
pmchugh wrote:
Jatekos wrote:

To be honest I'm pretty sure 80% of people will have those three rating as their top 3.

I am not so sure.Tags like complainer, deadbeat, poor strategy, bad teammate and silent are also popular for certain players, especially towards the end of the scoreboard.

You can usually spot them guys anyway, I suppose it gives a little meaning to the rating number.
2009-08-12 03:35:31 - Squirrels Hat: MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
2009-08-12 03:44:25 - Mr. Squirrel: Do you think my hat will attack me?
Major pmchugh

Postby Jatekos on Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:40 pm

pmchugh wrote:
Jatekos wrote:
pmchugh wrote:
Jatekos wrote:

You can usually spot them guys anyway, I suppose it gives a little meaning to the rating number.

It would help to spot them more easily and to prepare for their actions in advance if you play with them.
Major Jatekos

Re: ratings tags

Postby blakebowling on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:22 pm

I like this.

Other opinions?
Private blakebowling

Postby 40kguy on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:27 pm

This was already suggested.
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby blakebowling on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Find me the thread and I'll merge them. I just found this on the bottom while cleaning up the forum.
Private blakebowling

Postby Jatekos on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Major Jatekos

Postby blakebowling on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Merged
Private blakebowling

Postby patsfan12 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:35 pm

popcorn
Lieutenant patsfan12

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:37 pm

I'm in favour.

They might not be entirely accurate, or give you an enormous amount of information, but I think they give a rough-and-ready summation of what kind of player you are.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Next

Return to Archived Suggestions