Conquer Club

World Cities Contest: We have a winner!

The arena for official Foundry competitions: the War of Art!

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the community guidelines before posting.

Which map do you prefer?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:28 am

LONDON
41%
DUBAI
4%
ISTANBUL
55%

Total votes : 181

World Cities Contest: We have a winner!

Postby Industrial Helix on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:15 pm

World Cities Contest: And the Winner is....

Hello everyone!

It is with great pleasure that I can announce the winner of the World Cities Contest.
Congratulations to ISN2 for developing both gameplay and graphics of the map that gained the most public votes! =D>

You have been awarded a General Achievement Medal for winning the competition, moreover you will receive a Cartography Contribution Medal and 1 Year of Premium Membership as soon as the map will be quenched.

Istanbul

In addition, Bruceswar, DJ Teflon, ISN2, isaiah40 and sannemanrobinson have been awarded a General Achievement Medal for being the authors of the shortlisted maps in the phase two of the competition.
Finally natty_dread has been awarded a General Achievement Medal for being the author of the London Map that received most votes.

Thanks to all ConquerClub Members that voted and a Special Thanks to all who took part to the World Cities Competition: Isaiah40, Kengyin, Bruceswar, DJ Teflon, sannemanrobinson, Phantomzero, ISN2, Victor Sullivan, Industrial Helix, Riskismy, natty_dread, MrBenn and CJ Lues.

Nobodies

============================================

World Cities Contest: Phase Three

Hi Foundry Goers,

Now we have just 3 maps, each one representing a different city of the world,
London, Dubai and Istanbul.
You have the opportunity to choose which one of these 3 maps should be crowned the winner of the World Cities Contest and thus be worthy to join the other maps available for play on ConquerClub, obviously after a short trip into the Final Forge.

So, going further....let me show you again the maps:

LONDON
show

DUBAI
show

ISTANBUL
show

show: spoiler with big versions

The poll will run for a week, everyone can vote just for one map and the vote can't be changed, when submitted.
May the best map win!

Nobodies

=============================================

Subject: World Cities Contest: Phase Two Complete

thenobodies80 wrote:Hello Everyone,

Another phase of this contest has concluded.
Now, without any further ado, let me show you the nice maps we have received:

show: MAP 1 - London

show: MAP 2 - Dubai

show: MAP 3 - London

show: MAP 2 - Istanbul

show: MAP 3 - London

Certainly you have noticed that 3 of these maps represent London so, instead of start immediately a poll to elect the winner map of this competition, the Blue Guys have decided to start a special poll and give everyone the opportunity to vote which of the three maps of London is the best one.

The poll will run just for 1 week, so com'on! Visit the dedicated topic and vote for the best map!

See you here again in a week...or so. ;)

Nobodies

Subject: World Cities Contest: Phase Two
MrBenn wrote:After much deliberation, the CAs have shortlisted five maps to from the first phase of the Classic Cities contest.

Congratulations to Bruceswar, DJ Teflon, isaiah40, ISN2, and sannemanrobinson =D>

The winning gameplay designs are contained within the spoilers below:
show: Map 1 - London Boroughs
show: Map 2 - War on the Streets of London
show: Map 3 - Tourist London
show: Map 4 - Istanbul
show: Map 5 - Dubai

The graphics phase of the World Cities Contest continues in this thread

The gameplay entries were:
===============================================================================
Subject: World Cities Contest: Phase One

Not too long ago I posted a thread discussing the possibilities of making maps of the cities depicted in the Classic map. So, we're going to run a contest to make this a reality. There will be two parts, gameplay and graphics. Gameplay will run for one week, graphics will run for three weeks and the final products of the graphics stage will be followed with a round of voting. No run offs.

Part I: Gameplay
The contest will run in two stages, gameplay and graphics. The gameplay stage will run from this Sunday, March 20th to April 6th. In this time, contests are required to submit a gameplay sketch featuring one of the five cities listed. If you've never made a map or lack the technical graphics skills, this part is for you.

1) London
2) Mexico City
3) Dubai
4) Istanbul
5) Moscow

Entries may depict the city, past or present, partial or fully.

Entries may be submitted in any medium whether it be pencil or photoshop. Entries should be devoid of graphical flair and graphical complexity and should depict the core game elements.

All areas of gameplay dynamics must be complete. Territories must all be named. Bonuses must give their values and be named. Any neutrals must have a value. On map gameplay instructions should be clear and concise. All aspects of the map gameplay must be present on the map, so no additional paragraphs explaining how anything works. Your map should be self explanatory.

To take part, simply create your entry using media of your choice (even scanned sketches are permissible as long as everything is legible), host your submission using photobucket, imageshack or similar, and post in this thread with a direct link to the image embedded within [bigimg][/bigimg] tags.

Mapmakers are allowed unlimited entries for each city. All entries must be complete, as described above. All entries must be significantly different from each other.

Maps will be shortlisted by the cartography staff and posted up for the graphics contest.

Part II: Graphics
show

Prizes The winner of the gameplay and of the graphics contest will receive one year of premium membership, as well as an achievement medal and a mapmaking medal. Should the victor of the gameplay contest be the same as the grapahics contest, one of each medal and one year premium shall be handed out.
Last edited by thenobodies80 on Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Reason: Announced the winner
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: World Cities Contest: Stage 1 ends April 6th

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:04 pm

Industrial Helix wrote: Should the victor of the gameplay contest be the same as the grapahics contest, one of each medal and one year premium shall be handed out.

Aw, shucks, Helix, I'm flattered you think I'll win! :P

Can we get an announcement up on the homepage? I just found out about this lurking in Foundry Discussions...
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:11 am

Hmm, I did mention it to Andy. Is anyone planning on entering this thing?
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby natty dread on Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:47 am

I was planning of partaking in the 2nd part... I've got so much stuff to do right now I don't really have time for proper gameplay design.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:58 pm

It's a good thing this was posted on the Front Page, otherwise I never would have noticed. I will try hard to get some good stuff by the deadline.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Riskismy on Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:59 pm

Yeah, I plan to give it a shot too.
Not sure I'm sufficiently inspired to get anything worthwhile done, though.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby OliverFA on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:31 pm

So the gameplay deadline for London is April 6th?

EDIT: Don't worry. I reread the first post and it's clear now ;)
Welcoming the long awaited Trench Warfare Setting (Previously Adjacent Attacks).

My Maps:
Research and Conquer - Civilization meets Conquer Club

Best score: 2,346 - Best position: #618 - Best percentile: 4.87%
Private OliverFA

Postby Victor Sullivan on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:51 pm

Industrial Helix wrote:Hmm, I did mention it to Andy. Is anyone planning on entering this thing?

I might whip up a gameplay sketch, but I'd have to read up on the history on these cities, as I'm no history major... :?
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby phantomzero on Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Just saw this today. Pretty tight timeline...
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby White Moose on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 am

Would have been sweet with some nordic representation in these cities :P
Highest Score: 3374
Major White Moose

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:16 am

Could we have the entries be anonymous, to eliminate any personal bias in opinions or votes?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Riskismy wrote:Could we have the entries be anonymous, to eliminate any personal bias in opinions or votes?

You have my personal guarantee that there will be no bias against individuals when the shortlisting of gameplay schematics occurs.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

I believe you, but aren't there voting involved after the shortlist? If so, how will I submit my entry in the first place while remaining anonymous?

Also, there will be need to post at least one item of map-info outside the map itself, regarding starting territories.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby Gillipig on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Great idea but I'd like to see stockholm as well :( !
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Riskismy on Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:17 pm

Yeah, I hear you. I'd like Copenhagen be an option as well, but the premise for the first round of voting was the cities present on one of the maps.
Looks like they removed the original thread that started this thing. At least I can't find it.
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby ISN2 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:36 pm

To play, you must post your gameplay sketch in the competitions section of the Map Foundry. In the title section, put "World Cities" and then the name of your map.

I can't get it, I have a sketch ready, should I post it in this forum as a topic?
Then every body can see it, shouldn't the sketch be anonymous before voting?
Major ISN2

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:19 pm

ISN2 wrote:
To play, you must post your gameplay sketch in the competitions section of the Map Foundry. In the title section, put "World Cities" and then the name of your map.

I can't get it, I have a sketch ready, should I post it in this forum as a topic?
Then every body can see it, shouldn't the sketch be anonymous before voting?

The gameplay part of the contest will not be up for a public vote, but will be shortlisted by the CAs.
To take part, simply post your gameplay schematics in this thread - I'll clarify that in the opening post.

edit: To take part, simply create your entry using media of your choice (even scanned sketches are permissible as long as everything is legible), host your submission using photobucket, imageshack or similar, and post in this thread with a direct link to the image embedded within [bigimg][/bigimg] tags.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby xAceZxPoseidonx on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 pm

What about an apocalyptic spin on moscow, would this be accepted, not really interested in competing for it or anything, but i think it would be cool to do the map, would it be alright if i let someone else enter the map?
Cook xAceZxPoseidonx

Postby shakeycat on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:40 am

Riskismy wrote:Yeah, I hear you. I'd like Copenhagen be an option as well, but the premise for the first round of voting was the cities present on one of the maps.
Looks like they removed the original thread that started this thing. At least I can't find it.

Do you mean this thread?: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=140158

It had a poll on favourite world cities, and the results match up with the cities featured in this contest.
Current Map Project: Tokyo
Lieutenant shakeycat

Postby MrBenn on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:35 am

xAceZxPoseidonx wrote:What about an apocalyptic spin on moscow, would this be accepted, not really interested in competing for it or anything, but i think it would be cool to do the map, would it be alright if i let someone else enter the map?

The first phase of the contest is a free for all - anybody can submit a gameplay design (I might even dog out an old draft of a london map to get people started). A shortlist will be selected for the graphics phase of the contest. (ie somebody might pick up your plan and turn it into a nice looking map )
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Riskismy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:51 pm

shakeycat wrote:
Riskismy wrote:Yeah, I hear you. I'd like Copenhagen be an option as well, but the premise for the first round of voting was the cities present on one of the maps.

Do you mean this thread?: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=140158

It had a poll on favourite world cities, and the results match up with the cities featured in this contest.

That's the one! Thanks :!:
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby Riskismy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:54 pm

All entries must be submitted by April 10th, 2011.
:shock: :o :shock:

That's 4 days to make the graphics? That can't be right?!?
Lieutenant Riskismy

Postby xAceZxPoseidonx on Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:07 am

hmmm, okay thanks, well I have no problem with someone picking it up, i just don't want to enter and be told hey you have to finish this, not really a commitment person.
Cook xAceZxPoseidonx

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:41 am

Can several versions of the same city gameplay design be entered?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:15 am

I have some sketches for 2 or 3 of the cities. Can they all be entered or can I only enter for one city?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Next

Return to Competitions