Conquer Club

Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Baseball: King of Diamonds (v15 p.27)

Postby drunkmonkey on Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 am

Victor Sullivan wrote:
natty_dread wrote:On the other hand, all the bases are referred as "bases" on the map, so calling it "home base" is more consistent and less confusing for those players who are not familiar with baseball... Which is probably like 99% of non-american players ;)

Despite baseball being the "American past time" it's actually more popular in East Asia, like Japan and China (and I think Korea, too).

From looking at the scoreboard, only 2% of non-American players are from Japan, China, or Korea. I didn't add up all the East Asian countries, but I think you could safely say 90% of the non-American players, or nearly half the site, are not familiar with baseball. It's the same way that the Cricket map would make no sense to me whatsoever if you used "more familiar cricket terms" in the legend that didn't match up with what was on the map.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby natty dread on Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:12 am

Yeah, I just changed it to plate since it's "plate" in the XML.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:03 am

I've noticed that there's really no reason for field territories to be able to attack baseballs. What does everyone think of making all the baseball assaults one-way?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:07 am

Playing in sequential order, I see your point, but wouldn't the ability to counterattack a push from Babe be important in freestyle? I really don't know, since I don't play freestyle unless dragged into it in a tournament, but it crossed my mind.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:01 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:I've noticed that there's really no reason for field territories to be able to attack baseballs. What does everyone think of making all the baseball assaults one-way?

I personally don't see a reason but I don't see a reason to change them either... ender might have a point about freestyle though. I wouldn't know, I avoid freestyle like the plague.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Looks like LD2 hasn't been bordering Mike. I'll change that in the next revision as well.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby shocked439 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:26 pm

I don't agree with the alternate routes to the babe anymore. I like the pitchers assaulting him and him putting the ball in play concept. The game has a natural flow to it now, and freestylers like to sit back and wait any ways.

This map is coming together awesome.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:36 pm

shocked439 wrote:I don't agree with the alternate routes to the babe anymore. I like the pitchers assaulting him and him putting the ball in play concept. The game has a natural flow to it now, and freestylers like to sit back and wait any ways.

Well, there still needs to be a way to attack the Home Run after the pitchers have all been bombarded. Has that been resolved? (There's been a lot of discussion; sorry if I missed it.)
Major drunkmonkey

Postby Evil DIMwit on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:37 pm

The resolution was that no, it's not necessary for there to be a way to attack the Home Run at that point.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby shocked439 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:
shocked439 wrote:I don't agree with the alternate routes to the babe anymore. I like the pitchers assaulting him and him putting the ball in play concept. The game has a natural flow to it now, and freestylers like to sit back and wait any ways.

Well, there still needs to be a way to attack the Home Run after the pitchers have all been bombarded. Has that been resolved? (There's been a lot of discussion; sorry if I missed it.)

Since there is a winning condition you don't need to be able to assault the home run.
Sergeant shocked439

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:22 am

I completely overlooked the winning condition. Carry on. :oops:
Major drunkmonkey

Postby grifftron on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:54 pm

Pretty cool map here, I didn't follow along at all, but i have played it now that it is out... I kinda wish there was more then 1 batter or maybe 1 batter for every 2 pitchers but it is way too late for that now... i guess its kinda cool how everyone just files thru 1 batter to get to the field (balls)... should be crazy to play with lots of people, i have just played a few 1 on 1's... liking it so far

but it has seemed so far if you go first in a 1 on 1, take a base (anybase) and fort your guys from a pitcher onto that guy, you pretty much win the game if the player after you cant take you off the base...

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby TotoroHat on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Not sure where to post this but in my last game on this map, my foe was stuck on Home Run with nothing to do! Not sure if this is a problem but dunno!
Private TotoroHat

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:13 pm

TotoroHat wrote:Not sure where to post this but in my last game on this map, my foe was stuck on Home Run with nothing to do! Not sure if this is a problem but dunno!

We're not considering it a problem because any alternative arrangement would be worse, and the game can still be finished by the other players.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby grifftron on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 pm

TotoroHat wrote:Not sure where to post this but in my last game on this map, my foe was stuck on Home Run with nothing to do! Not sure if this is a problem but dunno!

yeah leave it like that, its a big bonus to go for +4 each and they are too powerful to be using as attackers i think.

-griff
Major grifftron
SoC Training Adviser

Postby tvremote on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:48 am

The 15 neutral for the pitching mound seems a bit high. I really don't see it being used in the game as it is, maybe something like 10 or 12 would make it more reasonable.
Sergeant 1st Class tvremote

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:53 am

tvremote wrote:The 15 neutral for the pitching mound seems a bit high. I really don't see it being used in the game as it is, maybe something like 10 or 12 would make it more reasonable.

You realize there's no other way to eliminate a player than by taking the mound?

Postby tvremote on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:48 pm

I do, but it seems far more logical to just go for the victory condition than attack a 15 stack every turn just to be able to bombard a territory with who knows how many troops. The fact that the pitchers get autodeploy makes it seem that if you don't take the mound in like the 3rd or 4th turn there's almost no point in even trying.

This is just my opinion of course I was just throwing it out there. Something to consider.
Sergeant 1st Class tvremote

Postby drunkmonkey on Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:57 pm

tvremote wrote:I do, but it seems far more logical to just go for the victory condition than attack a 15 stack every turn just to be able to bombard a territory with who knows how many troops. The fact that the pitchers get autodeploy makes it seem that if you don't take the mound in like the 3rd or 4th turn there's almost no point in even trying.

This is just my opinion of course I was just throwing it out there. Something to consider.

I suggest you play the map a few times. You'll see eliminating players is a much better route than holding the bases in most cases.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:41 pm

I agree with the intoxicated primate.

Postby rockandrull on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:48 am

I love the map, I have a question about it:
How do you get troops out of the home run balls?
I might have missed something, but I have a large number of tropps sitting up there doing nothing.
Private rockandrull

Postby natty dread on Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:11 am

You don't. They're stuck there forever.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Since there doesn't seem to be much else to change, I went and updated LD2's borders to include Mike, which was missing before, on the XML file.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MrBenn on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Evil DIMwit wrote:Since there doesn't seem to be much else to change, I went and updated LD2's borders to include Mike, which was missing before, on the XML file.

Is it just the xml that needs to be updated, or are there new image files too? Could you post the latest links here and I'll make sure the turtle gets them ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:43 pm

No, LD2 already borders Mike on the latest images - which still haven't been uploaded, btw.

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas