Conquer Club

Europe Map [Done]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Europe Map [Done]

Postby $t0kA on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:43 pm

and to be honest...now that i looked at it again i would say its an pefectic atempt and u should read up on your names and maps like for example how is africa part of spain..and how is finland part of norway and how is serbia and the other bakaln states part of romania....:D
Captain $t0kA

Postby BaldAdonis on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:06 am

Does someone have access to the original to make changes? The army numbers for Iraq need to be moved to fit on the smaller map. Only 2 digits are visible.

Hath wrote:Ok...has anyone else run into this issue?

If you're quick to the draw have a look before some more turns are taken:

Game 2995785

Have a look at Iraq. The number hangs off the screen so it *looks* like a 1, so i plopped my 3 guys down and then Bob (thankfully) told me it was an 11 I was attacking. Fantastic. Not sure if it matters but I do have the color aide on. This needs to be fixed.

I suppose you could hack together a solution just by editing the xml to move the territory over a bit, but it won't look as nice as if the mapmaker could change it.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby yeti_c on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:09 am

BaldAdonis wrote:Does someone have access to the original to make changes? The army numbers for Iraq need to be moved to fit on the smaller map. Only 2 digits are visible.

Hath wrote:Ok...has anyone else run into this issue?

If you're quick to the draw have a look before some more turns are taken:

Game 2995785

Have a look at Iraq. The number hangs off the screen so it *looks* like a 1, so i plopped my 3 guys down and then Bob (thankfully) told me it was an 11 I was attacking. Fantastic. Not sure if it matters but I do have the color aide on. This needs to be fixed.

I suppose you could hack together a solution just by editing the xml to move the territory over a bit, but it won't look as nice as if the mapmaker could change it.

Could easily be done in the XML - but the army circle won't be moved unless we have the original somewhere.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby junction_76 on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:04 pm

Even though I'm a newbie (but already loving conquer club), I'll join in the calls to modify some of the territory names (obviously, only the ones that were initialy mistaken).

Some of the mistakes listed are quite basic and jasnostj list is complete and correct:

Germany = Central Europe
Slovakia = Czechoslovakia
The West = Western Europe
Belgium = Benelux
Mediterranea = Southern Europe
Croatia = Yugoslavia
Sardinia = Corsica & Sardinia
Scandinavia = Northern Europe
Estonia = Latvia & Estonia (or Baltics, if 2 words don't fit on the map, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltics#Et ... f_the_term)
Saint Petersburg = Karelia
Africa = Northern Africa
The Near East = Middle East
Arabia = Saudi (Arabia)
Israel = (Southern) Levant (includes Jordan, Lebanon and the Palestinian territories, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Levant)
Eastern Turkey = Eastern Anatolia (includes Georgia and Armenia)
Western Russia = European Russia
Moscow = Western Russia
Northwestern Russia = Komi
Western Russia = Caucasus
Corporal junction_76

Europe map -major- ambiguity

Postby e_i_pi on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:43 am

Italy borders Albania, which is fine if you could see the sea route, but it's covered up by the name 'Albania'. i think this is a massive oversight. In fact, I have only noticed it after almost 20 games on this map. Might be an idea if the Foundry crew contacted the mapmaker and got it fixed.
Captain e_i_pi

Postby e7th04sh on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:32 pm

i dug through half of the thread, not sure if it was addressed, but whatever - the map is at it is and is played, so i will react, even if that was already pointed out

not very insulting, it's really a bad thing to call Poland, Belarus, Ukraine and Lithuania a "Germany"

Germany roots come from Italy+France+Germany, and what this maps looks like, is the concept of "Lebens Raum", the idea that it's easy to slaughter and enslave Sklavians - notice, the roots of word slave comes from former name of sklavians, the most spread slaves in Roman Empire.

I am polish, and i am very disappointed with this. Actually, with the exception of germany being in, and baltics being out, this really looks like Polish & Lithuanian Commonwealth from around XVII century. Also east germany is built atop extinct sklavian nation...

Politically, nowadays Germany is far from Poland and Former Soviet Republics. Just notice how societies judge the recent gas conflict. All former soviet republics are a bit more supporting Ukraine, while Germany (foolishly, imho) supports more Russia. And i speak of citiziens, not government.

Also, Germans have ugly names. :P Like Udo and Georg (pronounciatiuon matters here) :P

So... Poland should not be one continet with Germany!
Private 1st Class e7th04sh

Postby the.killing.44 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:35 pm

Europe was made in the beginnings of the site for gameplay reasons. You should play MrBenn's Europa map — that has all Europe's countries labeled and positioned in their correct places.

Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby Böhminator on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:08 am

the upper one...but you really should change the colours of the countries names!
Cadet Böhminator

Postby sm8900 on Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:49 am

hi. could you please lighten the background color for the player troop positions? right now, it is almost impossible to read the troop numbers for dark blue. a background color of light gray might be much better, or white. thanks.
Private sm8900

Postby BlaBla44 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:51 am

Without checking the posts on page 1-11, I'd like to tell you that next time you update the map you should update Denmark aswell (since Sjælland/Zealand (an island) for some reason is a part of Sweden...).
It annoyes me a bit, since I live here, our capital is on the island and... It's just Denmark, and not Sweden. ;)
Corporal BlaBla44

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:13 am

I noticed that a bit earlier, but I doubt they will change it, since it does not affect the gameplay or anything major.
~ CaptainWalrus
Private 1st Class captainwalrus

Postby Radosh on Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:59 pm

what is wrong with your geography, all balkan is croatia and albania??? wtf
Lieutenant Radosh

Postby MrBenn on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Radosh wrote:what is wrong with your geography, all balkan is croatia and albania??? wtf

The geography of this map is notoriously inaccurate - hence the Europa map ;-)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Frankly, my dear on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Numerous complaints (many minor) have been brought up ranging from color selection to border issues. I would like to request these either be fixed or I be given the chance to fix them. Please let me know.

Joe
Major Frankly, my dear

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:48 pm

I love this map. If you are going to change it, don't change the gameplay!
Also, the graphics aren't that bad either.
~ CaptainWalrus

Postby captainwalrus on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:49 pm

Also, I doubt this will actually be allowed to change, but I guess there is no harm in trying.
~ CaptainWalrus

Postby krewetka on Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:40 pm

I know there is another better map of Europe but this one is still in use and geographical part of it is really bad.

The west part of Europe is called 'The West' so why the east is 'Germany'? :o

It's really bad not only from geograhical point of view but also when you look at historical point...calling Poland (and other eastern countries) a 'Germany' can be quite offensive for some people.

Not even mentioning the fact that there is Slovakia only and Czech Republic is missing. I think even Czechoslovakia would be better if it has to be one country for game play purpose (then you can imagine that this is an old historical map before Czechoslovakia was divided )
Cadet krewetka

Postby Gorance on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:19 am

this map of Europe should be banned because is vision of ultra-nationalists!!! Such people cause war and hatred and must not allow that here promoting!!! Croatia has never been nor will be the whole of the Balkans!!!
Private 1st Class Gorance

Postby Robak on Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm

Hmm I come from Poland and I am just shocked, that the whole central Europe is called "Germany". WTF, it's not 1943 ^^ It should be called "central Europe" or something, to be 'neutral'.
Cadet Robak

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:44 pm

Robak wrote:Hmm I come from Poland and I am just shocked, that the whole central Europe is called "Germany". WTF, it's not 1943 ^^ It should be called "central Europe" or something, to be 'neutral'.

Perhaps the 'Europa' map is more your style preference!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Star Dust on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

lol, naming whole of ex Yugoslavia -"Croatia"

being so poorly educated in geography, author of the map must be from US.
Corporal 1st Class Star Dust

Postby rdsrds2120 on Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Star Dust wrote:lol, naming whole of ex Yugoslavia -"Croatia"

being so poorly educated in geography, author of the map must be from US.

A lot of times, territories are consolidated to make them playable on a map, or a different time setting is assumed. As long as the area is close geographically, it's usually permissible on a lot of maps due to how hard it would be to put every single country or, per say, Europe, into a map.

Also, no need to be rude.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Rizbot on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Who created the map? Who gave him the right to give that name to the area of Former Yugoslavia??? Please, someone correct this BIG mistake, name it Yugoslavia, or something, and don't piss off again people from those other five nations!!
Private Rizbot

Postby DiM on Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Rizbot wrote:Who created the map? Who gave him the right to give that name to the area of Former Yugoslavia??? Please, someone correct this BIG mistake, name it Yugoslavia, or something, and don't piss off again people from those other five nations!!

this map has very big geographical mistakes.
if those offend you then maybe you should try the Europa map. it has far worse graphics but it is at least an accurate representation of modern europe.

but i would personally recommend Europe 1914 map. it has great gameplay and better graphics than the other europe maps and the accuracy is excellent (according to 1914 borders)
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Re:

Postby Spartacus21C on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:13 pm

jasnostj wrote:Okay then, time for me, as a Dutchman, to complain about Benelux being called Belgium. Belgium has 10 million inhabitants (on 30.000 km2), against 16 million (on 41.000 km2) in the Netherlands. Just call it Benelux, and the problem is solved.

Names in Russia are not too accurate either (except for Arkhangelsk). I would say:
- St. Petersburg = Karelia
- Moscow = Western Russia
- Western Russia = Caucasus
- Northwestern Russia = Komi

And I don't think people in Lebanon and Jordan will be too happy to be called Israel, not to mention the Palestinians (the state of Israel comprises about 15% of the total area that is called Israel on this map, and less than one third of the total population). I don't think I have to explain anyone how sensitive these matters are over there... (Southern) Levant would be the most neutral name for this region.

And Slovakia is ofcourse former Czechoslovakia, an area inhabited by about twice as many Czechs as there are Slovaks.

And finally, you've got to be kidding me to call Poland, Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine etc. part of 'Germany'! When you make flagrant mistakes like that, don't blame people for criticizing after quenching (=publication!). All you cartographers are ignorant, or what? (I know the answer to that question)

Quoted for truth.
Cook Spartacus21C

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas