Conquer Club

[Capital Competition] Middle Ages

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [Capital Competition] Middle Ages

Postby rjhankey on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:20 pm

Leaving some feedback here after finishing a game in MMK tournament series -- I've played this map an overall 17 times, and have won only two of them -- but it's a fun map to play that I keep coming back to. Terminator and Assassin are both fun settings, and fit well with the map rules. I haven't seen anything that jumps out at me in terms of bonuses being unfair, although a strategy that has tended to work is to grab one city and leverage that bonus, being careful not to lose it.
Captain rjhankey

Postby drunkmonkey on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I've been playing this map for a while, and just noticed that Village Witch is misspelled as "Vilage Witch". Not sure how difficult cosmetic changes are after quenching, or if this one is even worth the trouble, but I thought I'd point it out.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:09 pm

drunkmonkey wrote:I've been playing this map for a while, and just noticed that Village Witch is misspelled as "Vilage Witch". Not sure how difficult cosmetic changes are after quenching, or if this one is even worth the trouble, but I thought I'd point it out.

Fixed and sent to lackattack.

Click image to enlarge.
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby thebest712 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:56 am

if your palace got nuked your death?!
Major thebest712

Postby Mr_Adams on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:03 pm

thebest712 wrote:if your palace got nuked your death?!

Ya. my first time playing with nukes was an 8 man terminator, and I got to nuke 2 castles on my fist cash. :P :lol:
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby natty dread on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Nuclear + losing conditions = crapshoot. But really, you can't expect every map to function well with such an unpredictable element as nuclear spoils.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby thebest712 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:47 pm

natty_dread wrote:Nuclear + losing conditions = crapshoot. But really, you can't expect every map to function well with such an unpredictable element as nuclear spoils.

ok
Major thebest712

Postby myfriendkyle on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:56 am

Also just wanted to throw my two cents in on some imbalances in the map. I completely agree with the positioning of the witch. At least raise Noeh to +4. It doesn't help that you can directly attack from the witch to Noeh's Square, meaning it must be heavily defended.

These are the fair starting positions:
Aery: +3/3, Niad: +3/3, Ykele: +3/3, Yana: +4/4, Nyw: +4/4, Loent: +5/5.

While Noeh is +3/4 and Tayt is +3/4, another place that has a direct attack to the square from outside of the bonus. These two could be raised to +4.

Also I've noticed that if one is able to gain Yana, Ykele, and the Towers they are then able to gain +9 with only four borders. While I know that this is something that comes up with many maps and gaining more regions while lessening the borders, there is no other equivalent on this board when getting to that point of the game. Tayt, Aery, & the Northern towers WOULD be +8 with five borders if not for the Alchemist>Witch connection. which puts it at a +8 for six borders. Not terrible, but not fantastic for the amount of territories held.

This doesn't come up as much in standard play, though it would be an advantage to anyone who drops Yana or Ykele and is able to take over his or her neighbor. This would also hand a doubles team the game if they were able to drop Yana & Ykele, and play it halfway decently.

Possibly a road running from Gate M to Tower J to Southern Pass? Would make it +9 for 7. Much more reasonable.

Just some kind remarks. I enjoy this map and will probably play it regardless of whether or not any changes are made. I've written far too much about this and obviously need to go to sleep. Thanks for reading.
Sergeant 1st Class myfriendkyle

Postby Fewnix on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:49 am

Thank you for the opportunity to play this map - its beautiful and one that I feel challenged to play again. I have tried what seems to this peasant somewhat similarly "complicated" maps, such as Age of Merchants, where it seems too difficult to me to figure out the bonus structure/game play type thingies. This map seems to offer something I can figure out after a game or two with a bit of work and can have fun learning and playing.

I suck at assassin and don't like three player games but would probably really enjoy this map as a standard game with four or more players under a wide variety of settings. Thank you again for the opportunity.
Private Fewnix

Postby cairnswk on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:45 pm

tnb80
Sorry i wasn't around for this production, but...
I luv this map for the 3D perspective you've given it. I'm in my first game on it, and i am sorry i cannot read the legend adequately in the large map let alone the small map.
Is there anything you can do to give the text a drop shadow or glow so that it stands out better on that dark background.
I hope you can. :)
Thanks
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Fix the colours on Middle Ages

Postby BigFuzzyBunny on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:03 pm

The map "Middle Ages" is a good map, but is nearly impossible to play as player 2 (green). I suggest lightening the background green so that there is more contrast between the green armies and the map graphics. I have 2 games going on it, and am getting a headache from squinting trying to decipher where my armies are.
Lieutenant BigFuzzyBunny

Re: Fix the colours on Middle Ages

Postby TheForgivenOne on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Moved to the Foundry
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby gimil on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 pm

I have merged BigFuzzyBunny comment in with the viewing gallery thread or the middle ages map. This seems to be a genuine concern and would like to see it at least addressed.

[merged]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Re: Fix the colours on Middle Ages

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:02 pm

BigFuzzyBunny wrote:The map "Middle Ages" is a good map, but is nearly impossible to play as player 2 (green). I suggest lightening the background green so that there is more contrast between the green armies and the map graphics. I have 2 games going on it, and am getting a headache from squinting trying to decipher where my armies are.

Could you please tell me what are your monitor setting? I've tested the green on 3different machines and I don't have problems to see the green troops. Small or Big version?
I have white army circles on the map, brown circles on roads...and we have color codes (have tried with them?)

Sorry if i ask but i don't like so much the idea to have a lighter green on the map....let me say flashing...
Btw making it more lighter means also make it harder to see for colorblind people.

Waiting more info from you before to put my finger on this one again, but for now thanks for letting me now about this possible issue. ;)

Nobodies

Postby BigFuzzyBunny on Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:36 pm

I am on a Mac monitor at 1920x1200 resolution and about 98% brightness.
Lieutenant BigFuzzyBunny

Postby MrBenn on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:40 pm

BigFuzzyBunny wrote:I am on a Mac monitor at 1920x1200 resolution and about 98% brightness.

Nobody needs to have 98% brightness on their monitor!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby DiM on Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:51 pm

MrBenn wrote:
BigFuzzyBunny wrote:I am on a Mac monitor at 1920x1200 resolution and about 98% brightness.

Nobody needs to have 98% brightness on their monitor!

maybe he wants to get tanned :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby BigFuzzyBunny on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:09 am

Most flatscreen monitors come at 100%. I have a 3 monitor setup and the big one I turned down to 98% to match the other 2 that are at 100%. I think the larger problem might be the higher resolution I am running. The map is of course "smaller" on my screen then it would be on my 1280x1024s at home. Next time I play it I will put it on the "large" view setting and see how it is. I can let you know how that works and how it looks at home on my PC.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only one with this problem though. I am a web developer and I go to a lot of trouble to keep my colours and brightness similar to the defaults that others are likely using so that I am seeing the graphics the same way they are. Could we simply put a semi-transparent white circle behind the "troop spots" (or whatever the term might be)?
Lieutenant BigFuzzyBunny

Postby natty dread on Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:26 pm

I think the problem might be that JPG files are not displayed the same way in Macs and PC:s, due to different monitor standards... and most people here in the foundry use PC:s.

Postby thenobodies80 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:06 pm

BigFuzzyBunny wrote:Could we simply put a semi-transparent white circle behind the "troop spots" (or whatever the term might be)?

The map already has those circles.

natty_dread wrote:I think the problem might be that JPG files are not displayed the same way in Macs and PC:s, due to different monitor standards... and most people here in the foundry use PC:s.

Already tested on a Mac ...no problems at all.
I forgot to check what resolution/brightness settings I have on that machine, but I can do it tomorrow. (at work :-$ ;) )

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:13 am

thenobodies80 wrote:Already tested on a Mac ...no problems at all.
I forgot to check what resolution/brightness settings I have on that machine, but I can do it tomorrow. (at work :-$ ;) )

Yes but did you test the original PNG or the hosted JPG?

PNG files have gamma correction information saved in the image file to counteract this problem, so that they get displayed properly in both machines. JPEGs do not.

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:21 pm

I'm not stupid natty...I know the difference between png and jpg files. :roll:

"Do not flaunt your knowledge doesn't mean being stupid, but just humble".

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:32 pm

Geez, no need to tear me a new asshole over it... I'm only trying to help you know

Postby Victor Sullivan on Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:35 pm

Come on now, folks, the Foundry is for creating maps, not assholes.

:mrgreen:

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:26 pm

nolefan5311 has sent this pm to me:

I was thinking...what do you think about modifying your Middle Ages map to limit a max of two palaces per person? This will only affect 2 player games. Right now, in 2 player games, each person starts with 4 palaces, which takes away a lot of strategy because my opponent is on the palaces that I'm not on. With the change, it would be more of a hunt, so to speak. What do you think?

I think that it's a very good idea and I have no problem to change code to allow this. What do you think?

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas