Conquer Club

The Dawn Of Ages - Quenched

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Dawn Of Ages[D,Gp,Gr,XML] BETA - PROPOSING CHANGES

Postby MrBenn on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:11 am

Kabanellas wrote:Revised neutral starters (less neutral troops for better game-play)

-Humans should all be dropped from 3 to 2
-Natural enemies of settlements should be easier to get : Tower of Control from 3 to 2, Raiders' Haven from 4 to 3
-Orks all levelled to 2 as well
-Elvish towns Egil-Oroth from 4 to 3 and Aesir-Vanir from 4 to 2
-Raiders' Shadowlands from 3 to 2
-Dwarves Strongholds should all drop 1troop to their actual count (Damkianna Stronghold - 2; Anshar Stroghold - 2; Ralaq-Marsan Gateway 3)
-North Logoth should drop from 4 to 3

-Also recommend raising Kaball's border, disabling South Logoth from having a second line of defence in Ralaq Marsan.
-North Logoth's one-way assault feature should be downgraded to a bombard feature
-1 Receptacle added to The Hillmen

If we can get an updated XML, then I'll forward it to lack
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: The Dawn Of Ages[D,Gp,Gr,XML] BETA-REVISING NEUTRAL STARTERS

Postby Kabanellas on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:35 pm

thanks Ben!

Andrew is working on the XML at the moment.
Major Kabanellas

Postby AndrewB on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:55 am

Kabanellas wrote:Revised neutral starters (less neutral troops for better game-play)

-Humans should all be dropped from 3 to 2
-Natural enemies of settlements should be easier to get : Tower of Control from 3 to 2, Raiders' Haven from 4 to 3
-Orks all levelled to 2 as well
-Elvish towns Egil-Oroth from 4 to 3 and Aesir-Vanir from 4 to 2
-Raiders' Shadowlands from 3 to 2
-Dwarves Strongholds should all drop 1troop to their actual count (Damkianna Stronghold - 2; Anshar Stroghold - 2; Ralaq-Marsan Gateway 3)
-North Logoth should drop from 4 to 3

-Also recommend raising Kaball's border, disabling South Logoth from having a second line of defence in Ralaq Marsan.
-North Logoth's one-way assault feature should be downgraded to a bombard feature
-1 Receptacle added to The Hillmen

Following amendments were done:
  1. Keramion from neutral 3 to 2
  2. Akhenat from neutral 3 to 2
  3. Addar from neutral 3 to 2
  4. Edin-Na-Zu from neutral 3 to 2
  5. The Hillmen from neutral 3 to 2
  6. Tower of Control from neutral 3 to 2
  7. Raiders' Haven from neutral 4 to 3
  8. Yazun from neutral 3 to 2
  9. Bagadur from neutral 3 to 2
  10. Valley of Doom from neutral 3 to 2
  11. Egil-Oroth from neutral 4 to 3
  12. Aesir-Vanir from neutral 4 to 2
  13. Shadowlands from neutral 3 to 2
  14. Damkianna Dwarves' Stronghold from neutral 3 to 2
  15. Anshar Dwarves' Stronghold from neutral 3 to 2
  16. Ralaq-Marsan Dwarves' Stronghold from neutral 4 to 3
  17. North Logoth from neutral 4 to 3
  18. added a two-way border between South Logoth and Kaball
  19. North Logoth can bombard, not attack the following: Bhaku, Nutuk, Captargac
  20. Tower of Control can bombard The Hillmen

Here is a link to tested XML:

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Dawn_Of_Ages_v5.xml

Note: map legend needs updating to reflect the bombardments off North Logoff.
Lieutenant AndrewB

Postby MrBenn on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:17 pm

AndrewB wrote:Here is a link to tested XML:

http://bolonniy.com/CC/Dawn_Of_Ages_v5.xml

Note: map legend needs updating to reflect the bombardments off North Logoff.

Nice job ;-)

One we've got images updated I can send them to lack...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Industrial Helix on Mon May 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Kab, I just want you to know how enjoyable I am finding this map. Excellent work!
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Postby Kabanellas on Tue May 04, 2010 5:37 am

Thanks a lot Helix !

That makes me really happy, especially coming from you :)
Major Kabanellas

Postby joriki on Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 am

This map is good fun! Some comments on the explanations on the map:

It's natural to think that the pairs work like they do in Age of Realms and Treasures of Galapagos, but they don't; only distinct pairs count. I like it better this way, but since many people are used to the Age of Realms way (and the map is even called "Dawn of Ages") it would be good to explain this more explicitly.

Similarly for the dwarven bonuses: it's not entirely clear from the legend whether it helps to have both gateways (it doesn't).

The attack options of the dwarven gateways and strongholds are also not clear: in the legend it looks like all gateways can attack all strongholds and vice versa and the strongholds can't attack each other, whereas in fact which gateways and strongholds can attack each other is determined by the underground passage. Also, although one can guess from the double arrow and the name "gateway" that the gateways have two-way attacks with the surrounding region, this should be indicated in the legend -- the fact that the strongholds' one-way attack is shown in the legend and the gateways' two-way attack isn't makes it seem as if the legend implies that the gateways aren't connected to anything other than the strongholds.

Another slightly confusing aspect is that parts of the (very helpful) assault/bombardment diagram in the legend are explained in text in the map and others aren't -- after reading all the text I thought I knew the assault/bombardment options and was then surprised to find that there are others that are mentioned only in the diagram (e.g. Raiders' Haven can attack ports).

Thanks for a great new map!! =D>
General joriki

Postby Kabanellas on Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Joriki! Thanks for your comments :)

joriki wrote:This map is good fun! Some comments on the explanations on the map:

It's natural to think that the pairs work like they do in Age of Realms and Treasures of Galapagos, but they don't; only distinct pairs count. I like it better this way, but since many people are used to the Age of Realms way (and the map is even called "Dawn of Ages") it would be good to explain this more explicitly.

Similarly for the dwarven bonuses: it's not entirely clear from the legend whether it helps to have both gateways (it doesn't).

You are the first one raising that doubt.... Well, I honestly think its pretty self-explanatory. But anyone having that doubt will surely be correct in the second game he/she plays

The attack options of the dwarven gateways and strongholds are also not clear: in the legend it looks like all gateways can attack all strongholds and vice versa and the strongholds can't attack each other, whereas in fact which gateways and strongholds can attack each other is determined by the underground passage. Also, although one can guess from the double arrow and the name "gateway" that the gateways have two-way attacks with the surrounding region, this should be indicated in the legend -- the fact that the strongholds' one-way attack is shown in the legend and the gateways' two-way attack isn't makes it seem as if the legend implies that the gateways aren't connected to anything other than the strongholds.

There's not so much we can explain in such a reduced space - this aspect of this game was widely and strongly discussed in the process of making this map. And it was intended to be the best way to explain their mechanics.

Another slightly confusing aspect is that parts of the (very helpful) assault/bombardment diagram in the legend are explained in text in the map and others aren't -- after reading all the text I thought I knew the assault/bombardment options and was then surprised to find that there are others that are mentioned only in the diagram (e.g. Raiders' Haven can attack ports).

It's showing in the diagram - Raiders' Haven can assault Ports :)

Thanks for a great new map!! =D>
Major Kabanellas

Re: The Dawn Of Ages[D,Gp,Gr,XML] Waiting for Beta v2

Postby werealldevodad on Tue May 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Just to point out that Anshar Dwarves' Stronghold is hard to... actually I'm not going to bother, the dwarf thingies are hard to figure unless you have read the pages, but having said that it had no effect on the game i am playing and am enjoying it very much despite the fact it has exposed my tactical weakness, what to do trying to lead from the centre, I went stack pussie and got whipped, it would appear that the north has an advantage but its still first game, whatever great map, great concept, great all in all. Thats a long sentence!
One gripe, Raiders Haven seems to be the most powerfull t on the map, which is fine gameplay wise, but... this is tolkein, i may have missed something but raiders dont feature much in any of his books and would look like roughly the point that Elen... the guy going back and betraying the Elder to get the nice jewells from Morgorth??? arrived back in middle earth in.
Another long sentence and just my 2 cents but maybe (its been a while) you could make the raiders into the returned "light elves" as they were also not wholly in cahoots wiith current dark elves etc...
Probably doesn't make sense, its late over here, but an awesome map, cheers all. :D
Major werealldevodad

Postby werealldevodad on Tue May 18, 2010 12:46 pm

I meant to say that none of the dwarven strongholds have names on the map, which means you have to look closely when deploying or cashing cards, not really a problem as anyone with a couple of minutes spare would figure it out but if you dont connect gates with said strongholds visually then you're fecked!!!
Major werealldevodad

Re: The Dawn Of Ages[D,Gp,Gr,XML] BETA-REVISING NEUTRAL STAR

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:35 pm

Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Kabanellas on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:11 am

ok. I'll be watching...
Major Kabanellas

Re: The Dawn Of Ages[D,Gp,Gr,XML] Beta v2 is ON

Postby Kabanellas on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:05 pm

ok.. Beta 2 is running. And on the first look, from the first few rounds, I think that the reduction of neutral starters improved largely the game-play especially on team games.
Major Kabanellas

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:39 pm

Quenching

---The Beta period has concluded for the Dawn of Ages Map. All objections have had their time. The Foundry and I hereby brand this map with the Foundry Brand. Let it be known that this map is now ready to be released into live play.

ImageCongratulations Kabanellas and AndrewB, your shiny new medals are well-earned =D>

Conquer Club, enjoy!

--MrBenn
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Congrats =D>
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby ender516 on Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:54 pm

Yes, congratulations! I will have to have another crack at this map, since I haven't yet played with the reduced neutral starts.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Raskholnikov on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:41 am

Bravo guys! Amazing map!
Private Raskholnikov

Postby Kabanellas on Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:04 am

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!
Major Kabanellas

Re: The Dawn Of Ages - Quenched

Postby GloverParkDude on Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 pm

HELP

my oponent keeps attacking Aesir-Vanir from somewhere i cant see. where is that?
Major GloverParkDude

Postby Blinkadyblink on Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 am

GloverParkDude wrote:HELP

my oponent keeps attacking Aesir-Vanir from somewhere i cant see. where is that?

My guess is Raider's Haven. It's on the other side of the map and it one-way attacks Aesir Vanir.
Major Blinkadyblink

Postby Kabanellas on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Blinkadyblink wrote:
GloverParkDude wrote:HELP

My guess is Raider's Haven. It's on the other side of the map and it one-way attacks Aesir Vanir.

Totally right ;)
Major Kabanellas

Postby musteriuz on Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:31 pm

A pity I got into this situation a little late, but must there really be no way back from the island in the northwest? I thought by biding my time I could get back to the mainland via Hellnor and the ports, but alas ...
Highest score: 2159 Highest rank: 486
(How are the mighty fallen)
[Tourney achievements are on my wall]
Sergeant 1st Class musteriuz

Postby Czarski on Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi there,

We got the Dawn of Ages map via the random map function for Game 8904156, part of a tournament. I thought that the Tower of Control would autodeploy one troop per turn, but so far I haven't gotten any troops autodeployed there, though I've held it for a couple turns now.

Am I mistaken about the autodeployment, or is there a bug in the map?

Thanks,
Keith
Lieutenant Czarski

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas