Conquer Club

Swastikas on CC maps?

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Swastikas on CC maps?

Postby squishyg on Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:31 pm

Getting to the heart of the matter, it's one thing to agree that going forward we're not going to use the swastika in maps; it's quite another to say that we have to go back and re-do maps that already have them.

CC is an ever-evolving place. It's counter-productive to think that every time a decision is made we should go back and re-do things that were done under old rules. I hear this same argument come up over and over again whenever CC has a new policy. Just move on.
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 pm

squishyg wrote:CC is an ever-evolving place. It's counter-productive to think that every time a decision is made we should go back and re-do things that were done under old rules. I hear this same argument come up over and over again whenever CC has a new policy. Just move on.

Usually that would be the case. But in a case like this, where the very reason for the policy is to avoid offending either individuals or laws of other countries... doesn't it sort of negate the whole point of the policy if it's not applied universally?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby greenoaks on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:48 pm

natty_dread wrote:
squishyg wrote:CC is an ever-evolving place. It's counter-productive to think that every time a decision is made we should go back and re-do things that were done under old rules. I hear this same argument come up over and over again whenever CC has a new policy. Just move on.

Usually that would be the case. But in a case like this, where the very reason for the policy is to avoid offending either individuals or laws of other countries... doesn't it sort of negate the whole point of the policy if it's not applied universally?

if you are not offended by it why are you pushing for its removal ?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby natty dread on Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:50 pm

greenoaks wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

I'm not, per se.

Postby The Bison King on Mon May 02, 2011 10:32 am

natty_dread wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

I'm not, per se.

Are you not "not offended"? or not pushing for it's removal?

Hi, my name is the Bison King, and I am COMPLETELY aware of DaFont!
Sergeant 1st Class The Bison King

Postby Funkyterrance on Mon May 02, 2011 1:05 pm

I agree with Bison. Until someone actually makes a stink because they are offended by the image why not just let people continue to enjoy the map as it is and let sleeping dogs lie?
Colonel Funkyterrance

Postby natty dread on Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 pm

The Bison King wrote:
natty_dread wrote:
greenoaks wrote:
natty_dread wrote:

I'm not, per se.

Are you not "not offended"? or not pushing for it's removal?

Neither. What I was pushing for was consistency on the ruling, since to me it doesn't make sense in a case like this that the usage of a symbol or flag is allowed on one map but not on others.

I mainly wanted to spark some discussion about the issue. In that perspective, the mission was a success.

This thread has ran it's course and can now be forgotten.

Postby hitfan on Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

The swastika means so many things to so many people. Such a controversial symbol...

I once programmed a WW2 tactical war game based on the Eastern Front (Germany vs USSR). The main scenario involved the German human player being outnumbered and fighting the Soviet computer player where the player has to win the battle of Kursk and then go straight to Moscow. It's a thrilling game, and you are basically given an impossible task (akin to Hitler ordering suicidal attacks with barely-existing forces). In fact, by winning the game against insurmountable odds, you feel as if you achieved something heroic.

So when it came time to choose a flag as a map identifier, I didn't want to have to make the player feel that he was fighting for the cause of Nazism, so I used the Iron Cross instead, which I prefer for aesthetic reasons anyway. I wasn't trying to be PC or anything, I just wanted to get some of the politics out of the game. To be honest, WW2 on the eastern front involved two bastards (Nazis vs Soviets) fighting in a grand death match.

I still kept the use of the Soviet flag, because it represented the computer antagonist you had to beat.

My view of the use of the swastika in CC maps? I suppose if it is used and it's evident that it is not meant as an endorsement but rather as a historical representation, then that shouldn't be much of an issue. BUT the owners of CC set the rules, and so be it.
Sergeant 1st Class hitfan

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:41 pm

All I know is that it took me for fucking ever to find the damn Swastika.... and I never use the large map anyway... who give a shit?
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Previous

Return to Foundry Discussions