Conquer Club

[Abandoned] - Divine Meteo Condition

Abandoned and Vacationed maps. The final resting place, unless you recycle.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Divine Meteorological Condition (See p.3)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:10 pm

A few I can think of off the top of my head:

-- Supersize is meant to be used only when necessary, and it's not necessary here
-- India is quite separate from the rest of everywhere -- it'd pretty much only connect to Babylon, and to that through Persia.
-- The Slavic deities were worshiped about the same time as the Norse ones.
-- I feel perfectly justified in using Europe/Med, as this is supposed to be derived from Risk Godstorm, which takes place in this area.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MrBenn on Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:22 am

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:33 am

Congratulations on the stamp! So, now the grilling begins. Regarding the War god bonus: to clarify, these are free deployment troops earned at a rate of 1 per four earthly territories, but only if you hold at least one War god. Or do you mean to multiply this by the number of War gods held?
Also an early graphics suggestion: swap the underworld and the mini-map, left and right. Then, you can move your title and signature up into the the UGLY WHITE SPACE (seems a bit racist ;) ), and the extra space can now be divided between the legend and the underworld as necessary. The underworld could be stretched and curved around the bottom left corner, spreading out its territories for more clarity, without fear of complaint that you messed up the geography, barring the arrival in this forum of Heracles or Theseus, who know their way around there. On the other hand, legends on maps sometimes grow, so it may need the space, so it might be best to leave that open for flexibility.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I think since all the other gods (except Tricksters) do give additional benefits for holding multiple instances, it's fine to allow War God bonuses to stack. In any case, I was intending for the start position limit to be 2 so that's the maximum number of War Gods you can hold.

I tried the graphical suggestion. It didn't work out very well.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:02 pm

Do the temples still assault the gods? If so, I might be able to get even more War Gods.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:49 pm

No, they don't. There's no way from Earth to Heaven, or to the Underworld for that matter.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:14 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:No, they don't. There's no way from Earth to Heaven, or to the Underworld for that matter.

Then you need to fix the first post, just after the Risk Godstorm map and before the sketch of the underworld:
A temple can assault that civilization's four gods, which in turn can assault each other and the temple.

It seems like you are talking about your pantheon here, but you do have temples on the earthly territories.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:59 am

You're reading the 'original post' section, from before temples and pantheons got separated. It's not supposed to be an accurate gameplay description.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby ender516 on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:33 pm

Okay, but I thought the original post was supposed to be updated to give a summary of the current state of affairs. Without that, it can be difficult to determine all the details of the gameplay.

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:26 am

That is the top part, and the rest of the post is just the original first post so that people can see the post that started this thread in the first place. The top part is up to date with the current gameplay scheme.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Conquer Club Divine Meteorological Condition (New p.4)

Postby MarshalNey on Mon May 23, 2011 1:09 am

Overall, I'm really liking the "big idea" behind the gameplay on this map. There are a few things that I'm wondering about, which I'll post tomorrow as I'm already running (another) late night :| However I wanted to let everyone know that yes this map is getting looked at, and I apologize for the delay.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby MarshalNey on Tue May 24, 2011 1:47 am

OK let me start by saying Thank You, Thank You for a Detailed First Post. By showing a breakdown of deployable and neutral regions, and the number of regions dropped for different numbers of players, you've saved me a lot of time =D>

The central idea of two parallel 'worlds' is perhaps not new in the ideas forum, but this is one of the best implementations that I've seen (besides Arms Race and the upcoming Research & Conquer perhaps). I especially like the use of the losing condition, as it makes the Heavenly realm more attractive for overall power, but the Earthly realm is essential to hold on to or your Pantheon gets demoted to mythology! I think that it's a key point of the gameplay idea that the Earthly realm cannot assault the Heavenly realm directly in any way.

My concerns for the gameplay revolve around bonus tweaking and the powers of the gods; if you couldn't tell, I'm quite satisfied with all of the elements and the general framework :)

For the powers of the gods:
(1) I'm worried that the powers look great for games that go up to 4 players, but as the number goes higher, the less meaningful the Trickster and War gods become. Looking at the extreme, it's hard to see how the War god becomes attractive until late in an 8-player game. Because of this, the Trickster is also not attractive in 8-player games, because the only god worth bombarding is the Death god and he's getting a whopping +4 autodeploy compared to the Trickster's zero... not a favorable tactic. It's only when the War god is a viable option that the Trickster is also worthwhile.

(2) The Sky god can bombard the temples of others; since the SKy god is a starting region for each player, this could lead to almost immediate stacking and counter-stacking, as the temples are a cornerstone for several bonuses (the underworld crypts and the Earthly bonus areas/homelands). While some value stacking as a 'strategy' (really just an act of will or patience in some cases) I'd be hesitant to play a map that involved stacking from the word go.

My suggestion would be perhaps to lower the power of the Sky god, as it is a starting position and thus a 'freebie' god whereas the others must justify their worthiness of having a 2 neutral on them. Why not give the Trickster the power to bombard the other pantheons' god and temples? The Trickster is already a purely preventative/disruptive god anyway, with no bonus capability of its own. Those two powers would seem to complement each other. This would still leave the Sky god some importance as a conduit to the Earthly realm; if needed perhaps also give the head god a +1 autodeploy?

For the War god, I think he might need to be buffed up a bit for the games with more players.

For the region bonuses:
(1) While there doesn't seem to be any super-desirable homeland, the Celts do seem to have a slight edge with the double set of bonus areas. Carthage looks worse compared to Rome even though the bonus and number of regions are identical, because of the need to hold Canaan against three neighboring powers.

(2) The +2 bonus for hold an entire homeland... I'm not sure it is necessary. I'm sure the Temple is incentive enough to pursue their Earthly homeland without that bonus. The reason I bring it up is because it gives perhaps a little too much 'umph' to the Earthly realm independent of the gods. I'd like to see the Earthly realm remain relatively low-powered in comparison to the heavens.

As for clarity, there are a few things...
(1) Rome, Carthage and the Slavs regions could use more distinct colors. Rome and Carthage in particular blend together. I like the easy-on-the-eyes pastels, but maybe a little more boldness could help.

(2) The sea connections should be arrows not lines; at the moment they are easily confused at first glance with borders. The Greece sea area in particular looks like a land region.

(3) The impassibles could use a little more definition too, although I'm fairly certain of where the division lay. For instance do the Norse regions and the Slavs regions connect up at the top of the map?

That's about it, hope this map keeps rolling forward.

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Evil DIMwit on Tue May 24, 2011 4:08 am

Gameplay:
I dig the Trickster bombarding other temples thing. The reason I had it as Sky God is the whole surveying-the-world-from-his-lofty-seat-and-casting-thunderbolts-at-the-heretics thematic aspect, but I suppose the Trickster could do just as well for that. However, just a temple link and autodeploy are a bit little for the sky God, even as a starting god. What if the Sky God gave temple access, and on top of that +1 per whole homeland? He'd not be so useful at the start but would become more so over time. That bonus would replace the +2 for owning one's own homeland, which, as you say, is supported by the temple channels anyway, and thus make Earth's bonuses a bit more dependent on Heaven.
I've considered taking the Sky Gods out of the starting positions, but that may call for some redistricting so that the initial distribution of territories plays well with every number of players. Then again, I could just reduce the starting position limit to 1 instead of 2, which would make 2-and 3- player games territories start at 17 each and 4-player games start at 13 each.
Making War Gods +1 for 3 is acceptable, I think. It would only be worth 5 troops in a fresh 2- or 3- player game, rather than 4.

The celts' divided homeland looks nice, but it's also more difficult to defend. The continental Celts have a lot of border territories, and the island Celts has that one way from Norge. Though perhaps another Viking one-way to Logres might make the Isles appropriately less attractive?

Carthage could go up to 5 bonus and I wouldn't really feel bad. I'd add a territory to Carthage to compensate, but I really would not know what to name it. It was hard enough pulling out this many names for unimportant African regions...

As for the clarity things: Sure, all right, and Varangia does meet with Novgorod.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:38 pm

OK, Memorial Day weekend is over for me, my Seattle friends are back safely on their plane home, so let's see how to get this map on to stickydom and stamping...

Evil DIMwit wrote:Gameplay:
I dig the Trickster bombarding other temples thing. The reason I had it as Sky God is the whole surveying-the-world-from-his-lofty-seat-and-casting-thunderbolts-at-the-heretics thematic aspect, but I suppose the Trickster could do just as well for that. However, just a temple link and autodeploy are a bit little for the sky God, even as a starting god. What if the Sky God gave temple access, and on top of that +1 per whole homeland? He'd not be so useful at the start but would become more so over time. That bonus would replace the +2 for owning one's own homeland, which, as you say, is supported by the temple channels anyway, and thus make Earth's bonuses a bit more dependent on Heaven.

Sounds good all around.

Evil DIMwit wrote:I've considered taking the Sky Gods out of the starting positions, but that may call for some redistricting so that the initial distribution of territories plays well with every number of players. Then again, I could just reduce the starting position limit to 1 instead of 2, which would make 2-and 3- player games territories start at 17 each and 4-player games start at 13 each.

Hmmm, I actually think having the Sky Gods as a starting position is appropriate from a thematic angle, and with the aforementioned change, I don't see any problems in keeping it as such. However, it wouldn't hurt the map balance if you went with this idea.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Making War Gods +1 for 3 is acceptable, I think. It would only be worth 5 troops in a fresh 2- or 3- player game, rather than 4.

Excellent.

Evil DIMwit wrote:The celts' divided homeland looks nice, but it's also more difficult to defend. The continental Celts have a lot of border territories, and the island Celts has that one way from Norge. Though perhaps another Viking one-way to Logres might make the Isles appropriately less attractive?

Hrrr, ok. The 1-way does qualify the bonus a bit, but I guess I never gave a lot of weight to the inconvenience of 1-way attacks as it doesn't fundamentally alter a defensive strategy to hold a bonus; it just negates any offensive strategy to hold an adjoining tert to defend the bonus and at the same time keep a neighboring bonus broken. Which is something, nevertheless... if you want to keep the bonus as it stands I won't object. But a 1-way to Logres would make me feel better, and if it turns out to be too harsh you can always change it in Beta.

Evil DIMwit wrote:Carthage could go up to 5 bonus and I wouldn't really feel bad. I'd add a territory to Carthage to compensate, but I really would not know what to name it. It was hard enough pulling out this many names for unimportant African regions...

As for the clarity things: Sure, all right, and Varangia does meet with Novgorod.

Well, again I don't think it's a vital thing for Carthage, but it might be nice if it added a tert and went to +5, as right now it's sort of a +4.5 bonus in my mind. I certainly won't raise a big fuss if it stands either.

I don't have much more to critique here beyond the clarity nitpicks, so as long as the next update addresses these issues, it should expect a sticky :)

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby Evil DIMwit on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:59 pm

I've changed the Sky and Trickster and War gods. The Celts' homeland is now one unit. Carthage will stay +4; without Canaan it's not worth more than +3 and I don't think Canaan is enough to justify +2.

Sea connections and impassables are hopefully clearer now.

Click image to enlarge.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby MarshalNey on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:00 am

Love it. I'll send this around for consideration by the other CAs. Sticky time :)

-- Marshal Ney
Captain MarshalNey

Postby tvremote on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:05 pm

Why is there a sea connection between Tartary and Cumania? Going by what I see on the map those territories are already connected by land. Perhaps the line is meant to go to Urartu? Unless I'm missing something it doesn't make sense for that connection to be there.

Also, and this may just be me but, it's really not clear that the temples don't attack the pantheons. I had to read through the whole thread to find this out. I know it would be a little odd to have to explain that, but it almost seems like they do and without any explanation it's kind of vague.

Well those are my two cents, hope they were helpful.
Sergeant 1st Class tvremote

Postby Evil DIMwit on Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:49 pm

Mm, the connection across the Caspian seems to be an artifact from when there used to be more territories in that corner of the map. I guess it can go now.

As for the temples: I could put "Earth can't assault Heaven or the Underworld" and "The Underworld can't assault Heaven or Earth" somewhere on the map; that wouldn't be too frilly I guess. But really, by default no one should be assuming connections when they don't exist. Is it because pantheons look too much like temples? That can be changed.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Re: Conquer Club Divine Meteorological Condition [11 Jun 201

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:03 pm

A couple of things I see.
1. I see a potential problem with color blindness between Norse and Celts, and between Greeks and Slavs.
2. The colors for Sky and War I think need a little more contrast between them. Right now (at least on my monitor) they are looking very much like the same color.

For now that is what I see. Looking forward to your next update.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Those are graphical issues, no?
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby isaiah40 on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Well, on one hand they are graphical, and on the other, they are for gameplay clarity.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby DiM on Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:54 pm

isaiah40 wrote:Well, on one hand they are graphical, and on the other, they are for gameplay clarity.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the current image is just a crude draft to support gameplay discussion. once gameplay is set i'm sure dimwit will come up with a whole new graphic presentation.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:12 pm

DiM wrote:
isaiah40 wrote:Well, on one hand they are graphical, and on the other, they are for gameplay clarity.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the current image is just a crude draft to support gameplay discussion. once gameplay is set i'm sure dimwit will come up with a whole new graphic presentation.

This is true as well.
ImageImage
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby TaCktiX on Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Gameplay-wise I have no qualms with the map, though I'm going to find your graphical upscale an interesting challenge.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby Obrens on Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:15 pm

The god of sky and father of all gods in Slavic mythology is Svarog, not Perun. Of course, it would be a shame to lose Perun completely, since he is the most popular Slavic god. So, I don't know, do what you want. Just wanted to tell you.
Private Obrens

PreviousNext

Return to Recycling Box