Conquer Club

[Forum] Add BBCode support for [table][/table]

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Re: Add BBCode support for [table][/table]

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:11 pm

I think you have to have something to separate rows from one another and cells within a row, so if you use only one code, you need some special syntax inside the code. Why make it special? Just use the [].

I don't know what you mean by [th].
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby blakebowling on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:23 pm

My original idea was to have BBCodes that went along with the HTML <table>, <tr>, <td>, and <th> tags. It was requested that I come up with a solution that uses only one BBCode. The only solution that fit this would be a CSV sort of system. So you would have a table tag [table], each set of cells would be Comma-Separated, and each set of rows would be semi-colon separated.

So input would look something like:
[table]1,2,3;A,B,C;[/table]
And output would look something like:
1 | 2 | 3
A | B | C

To summarize, my original solution would provide a wider array of options, and more customization, at the cost of ease-of-use. The second solution would provide an easier option to use, at the cost of options and customization.

I'm for the first solution, however I'm willing to pursue whatever the community is most supportive of.

If you want this done, please keep this suggestion afloat guys.
Private blakebowling

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:43 am

Using commas and semicolons to delimit the cells and rows would mean that those characters would need special treatment to appear in a cell. I would much prefer the first solution as well, as it seems to be the standard as described at BBCode.org. I didn't know about the [th] codes until just now, and they would be nice, but are hardly necessary, if, for example, the bold BBCode still works inside the [td] tag.

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:23 am

i am in favour of the 1st option. i can handle having to use 3 codes.

how difficult would it be to implement, with or without the buttons as i use strikethrough and color and there is no button for them
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:47 am

There are buttons for color

I really want this implemented lol
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:32 am

The first BBCode option would take literally a few minutes to implement (considering I've already written the codes, and all that needs to be done is Andy installing them on the website)

The second option would require a wholly new mod in phpBB (eg a bunch of code changes), so it would take much longer to implement.
Private blakebowling

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:41 am

blakebowling wrote:The first BBCode option would take literally a few minutes to implement (considering I've already written the codes, and all that needs to be done is Andy installing them on the website)

The second option would require a wholly new mod in phpBB (eg a bunch of code changes), so it would take much longer to implement.

Sounds like a no-brainer choice to me.

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:16 pm

blakebowling wrote:The first BBCode option would take literally a few minutes to implement (considering I've already written the codes, and all that needs to be done is Andy installing them on the website.

does this include shortcut buttons for ease of use
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:09 pm

greenoaks wrote:
blakebowling wrote:The first BBCode option would take literally a few minutes to implement (considering I've already written the codes, and all that needs to be done is Andy installing them on the website.

does this include shortcut buttons for ease of use

BBCodes are installed directly in the ACP, when you add a new BBCode, you have the option (it's a checkbox) to add the BBCode to the posting page. If you check that box, the button will appear on the posting page.
Private blakebowling

Postby greenoaks on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:44 pm

that is a lot easier than i imagined.

please submit option 1 for implementation.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby blakebowling on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:13 pm

greenoaks wrote:that is a lot easier than i imagined.

please submit option 1 for implementation.

It was submitted during a MOD's project that I was doing a while ago. However the admins thought it would be too complicated for the average user.

After we get some more people to comment on the options, and if a large majority say they prefer option 1, I'll get Andy and lack to review this thread.
Private blakebowling

Postby ender516 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:16 pm

I would say that the average user never uses any of the BBCodes. Heck, most don't even use standard English. Anyone who finds it too complex can ask for help or ignore the feature, like they do with lists and bigimgs and gamelinks and playerlinks and url links and quotes and ...

Postby MrGlassB on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:33 pm

This is a good idea, and I'm really surprised phpBB doesn't already have it integrated. Other forum software packages have had it for years. :-s

MGB
Lieutenant MrGlassB

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:38 am

ender516 wrote:I would say that the average user never uses any of the BBCodes. Heck, most don't even use standard English. Anyone who finds it too complex can ask for help or ignore the feature, like they do with lists and bigimgs and gamelinks and playerlinks and url links and quotes and ...

:lol: :lol: =D> =D>
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:50 am

We could also put in a User Guide in Questions & Answers, like we have for many other Forum related difficulties.

-rd
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby Kinnison on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:17 am

Indeed. I like the idea of Option 1. For tournaments that aren't too involved (okay, some of mine ARE too involved), it would be a great help.
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:59 am

I'm going to sticky this. If we keep getting more support (TO's let your fellow TO's know), I'll move it to submitted.
Private blakebowling

Postby ender516 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Would it be within the forum guidelines to start a topic in the Foundry Discussions forum to draw attention to this? I'm pretty sure a lot of mapmakers would appreciate the ability to post tabular data without going through hoops.

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:42 pm

ender516 wrote:Would it be within the forum guidelines to start a topic in the Foundry Discussions forum to draw attention to this? I'm pretty sure a lot of mapmakers would appreciate the ability to post tabular data without going through hoops.

I believe that would be fine, but to make sure I'd ask MrBenn.
Private blakebowling

Postby greenoaks on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:05 pm

ender516 wrote:Would it be within the forum guidelines to start a topic in the Foundry Discussions forum to draw attention to this? I'm pretty sure a lot of mapmakers would appreciate the ability to post tabular data without going through hoops.

i started one yesterday in the TO's usergroup forum to encourage them to come here.

additional support could also come from Clan Leaders for tracking data in challenges and the SOC trainers. is there anyone here able to post there to let them know?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby drunkmonkey on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:06 pm

I would love to see this implemented. It would be a great help for my tournament scoring.
Major drunkmonkey

Postby blakebowling on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:19 pm

greenoaks wrote:

i started one yesterday in the TO's usergroup forum to encourage them to come here.

additional support could also come from Clan Leaders for tracking data in challenges and the SOC trainers. is there anyone here able to post there to let them know?

Posted in the CLA, and PM sent to mpjh to have him let other SoC teachers know (feel free to send PM's to leaders of areas like this in the future letting them know about suggestions that would benefit them).
Private blakebowling

Postby Dako on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:05 pm

How hard can it be to type the following?

Code: Select all
[table]
[tr]
   [th][/th]
   [th][/th]
   [th][/th]
[/tr]
[tr]
   [td][/td]
   [td][/td]
   [td][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
   [td][/td]
   [td][/td]
   [td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Sure that users that need it will know the syntax and will use it properly.
Colonel Dako

Postby mpjh on Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:49 pm

OK, if this can help us create a table that identifies games with players from the same Training Ground (forum), then we certainly can use it.
Cadet mpjh

Postby alt1978 on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:07 am

As a tournament organizer and a clan leader...i think there are a lot of things this could make easier. Uploading excel worksheets as a photo sucks. I'm not a tech guy but if i can use these buttons to figure out how to manipulate images of pigs...i'm pretty sure a table wouldn't be that hard to get the hang of.
Major alt1978

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions