Conquer Club

Valley of Wonders (Age of Wonders) [Vacation]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Valley of Wonders (Age of Wonders) [Vacation]

Postby Finsdale on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:35 pm

This map is based off of the campaign from Age of Wonders. As of so far it is my favorite turn based strategy game. I've only really begun work on this map, so you could consider this a very rought draft.
There isn't any nation bonus listing as of yet as I have plans to do something special with that. Seeing as the different races share varying ammounts of diplomatic relations, I thought I might attempt implementin that into this map, thus, if you're holding both the dwarven and the elven continents, you'll gain an extra bonus, as they are both good races. I'm not quite sure how to do this because it could make doubles games very perilous. As of right now, though, I want to iron out the kinks in the territories layout before I make it prettier.
Corporal 1st Class Finsdale

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:41 pm

Hm well first off...before I comment on anything else...

12 continents is a little much....Might want to look into consolidating a few of them. You'd have to get rid of a few creatures...but you still could use them for various names in the region.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Finsdale on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:14 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Hm well first off...before I comment on anything else...

12 continents is a little much....Might want to look into consolidating a few of them. You'd have to get rid of a few creatures...but you still could use them for various names in the region.

--Andy

Umm...*finds dictionary* Consolidate, to combine in one or to form a union of... yeah...
Let's say I was inspired by Jota's United States of Apocalypse to make this map in this form. I could add some territories to existing continents or move some territories between different countries, but I really don't want to drop any creatures. I really don't want to put any power in holding any one continent, but by holding multiple continents of similar allignment. Single continent gains don't even need to be necessary.
Dwarves, Elves, and Halfings being good. Azracs, Frostlings, Humans, and Lizardmen being neutral. Dark Elves, Goblins, and Orcs being evil. Highmen and Undead being pure good and pure evil respectively.

Postby Jota on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:28 am

So mechanically, Dwarves + Elves + Halflings together would effectively be one continent, Azracs + Frostlings + Humans would be a second, Dark Elves + Goblins + Orcs would be a third, Highmen would be a fourth, and Undead would be a fifth? With the difference between (e.g.) dwarf territory and elf territory being one of flavor and visual design, but not one of game mechanics and army distribution?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby Finsdale on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:39 am

I'm still working on any exact set of numbers, but I was thinking more along the lines of:
good + good, evil + evil, neutral + (good, evil, or neutral) = more armies
(pure good or good) + (pure evil or evil), neutral + (pure good or pure evil) = less armies

Postby Marvaddin on Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:56 am

Interesting idea... but I believe that neutrals should have no bonuses nor penalties. And I dont understand the pure evil or pure good... Really no needed, I think. And, I also think no need of 12 continents, even with these ideas... maybe 8, 9 at maximum.

And prepare yourself: you will become crazy making the xml :lol:
Major Marvaddin

Postby Finsdale on Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:57 pm

Yeah, I'm already noticing that, I'm changing pure good and pure evil to just good and evil and I'm going to give neutrals only a slight bonus when there is more than one continent owned. The point is to attmept to gain bonuses from holding more than one continent, so all the continent bonuses will be slightly lower than normal.

Postby Banana Stomper on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 pm

i like the idea of having a lot of little continents. 12 may be pushing it, but i think you should try to avoid creating the megacontinent. Blue might even be getting a bit big as is.
Corporal 1st Class Banana Stomper

Postby Finsdale on Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:57 pm

I've reworked the map a bit, now there are only 10 continents and 44 countries. I think I'll leave the allignment bonus out of the map, because I don't think I can make it anything more than an annoying gimmic.
Next thing I need to do now is come up with the continent bonuses, if everything works out well, I can begin on prettifying the map soon.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:01 am

Just to be clear...

Are the various brown splotches around countries and seperating countries mountains-->impassable borders?

--Andy

Postby Finsdale on Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:43 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Just to be clear...

Are the various brown splotches around countries and seperating countries mountains-->impassable borders?

--Andy

Yes they are, I apologize, they're kinda close to the goblin colors.

Postby onbekende on Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:25 pm

The land of the Orcs looks like Belgium, is that intentionally?
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby Rakonas on Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:08 pm

what are the blue lines on map for?
Cadet Rakonas

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:34 am

44 countries to 10 continents? Arent they very very small? Maybe you should have 9 continent, or 48 countries...
Major Marvaddin

Postby Finsdale on Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:59 am

No the land of the orcs wasn't intended to look like belgium... as far as I know anyways lol. The blue lines are rivers, you can't cross them unless there's a red "bridge" across them. And Marv, it was my purpose to have alot of small continents, though I may need to make a change to the highmen, add a country or connection, other than that one, I don't really think there is any continent there that is very holdable.

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:07 am

When you get a prettier version up, hopefully things will be clearer and we can see more of what you are talking about. Then we can get into detail about countries, borders, continents, attack routes, etc.

--Andy

Postby Finsdale on Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:24 pm

I'm still trying to learn how to use my art program. Just letting everyone know that it's still in development.

Postby Finsdale on Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:12 am

Well I think I have everything situated and a little prettier anyways, I'll add names soon.

Postby dussle on Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:20 am

You've forgotten bridges, arrows, ports and whatnot.
Sergeant dussle

Postby Finsdale on Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:16 pm

I know, I also need to add mountains, but I don't have any good graphics to put on them yet.

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:19 pm

The colours are terrible, too. Both green are very similar, as those light brown continents. We men only can see 16 colours, guy, so use colours more distinctive, and please put alike colours far from each other.
Major Marvaddin

Postby reverend_kyle on Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:21 pm

I like the color gradients you used unlike marvaddin but I agree about the green...
DANCING MUSTARD FOR POOP IN '08!
Sergeant reverend_kyle

Postby Ronaldinho on Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:40 am

yeah maybe use an orange instead of a brown and make the colour more noticable.....part from that its coming on to be a brill map good work soo far mate :D

Ronaldinho. :wink:
Sergeant Ronaldinho

Postby nascarfan38124 on Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:34 pm

i think it is pretty good but the only thing i am thinking about is that there might be too many continents and too little countries but otherwise great map
petebob wrote:You should drop out of school immediately--it's impinging on your game!
Lieutenant nascarfan38124

Postby Finsdale on Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:13 pm

I messed up my save file so I had to redo alot of stuff, This is what it looks like now. Is it just me or does this not look as good as the other?

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas